Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
I’ve put about 40 hours into DQXI. Who is your favorite character and why is it Sylvando?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Veronica is my favorite by orders of magnitudes of magnitudes.

Sylvando's definitely right after her though.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Nash posted:

I’ve put about 40 hours into DQXI. Who is your favorite character and why is it Sylvando?

I didn't like or trust Sylvando when he was first introduced. But then it turns out he was exactly what he says he is and just a fuckin' chill fun loving guy who wants to bring joy to the world and not an actual criminal going to betray me and or get me in more trouble

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I had expected Veronica to be a very obnoxious character but she's great.

I've been playing Builders 2 all week. It's better than the original in every way. A character just directly quoted The Phantom Menace to me.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

I don't have a favorite cuz I loved all the party members equally, they're all fantastic.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Serena is kind of dull tbqh

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Jade is stylistically pretty rad as a punch girl but a rad underwhelming writing-wise.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
Veronica I was also worried about but she is ok.

The last DQ game I played was the original Dragon Warrior IV on the NES when it first came out. It reminds me of why I preferred DW to the final fantasy games.

When I finish up this one what would be the next modern one I should play?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

DQV is the next logical step.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I had expected Veronica to be a very obnoxious character but she's great.

I've been playing Builders 2 all week. It's better than the original in every way. A character just directly quoted The Phantom Menace to me.

I love Becky

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

Nash posted:

There really are not a lot of options.

VIII is very good, and the other big “modern” DQ game other than XI. It was released on PS2, phones, or a slightly enhanced 3DS port.

IX was a fun game, but it is only on the DS, and is a bit different. I would look into it first to see if you might like it.

VII is a good mix of the older games and some of the more modern ones. I liked the 3DS port, as it improved a few elements of the game from the original.

X is a Japan only MMO.

There are solid ports of the earlier games, and they are all worth playing to varying degrees.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

DQVIII was the one that got me into the series, and I'd say it's probably the most similar to XI in that it's also a modern 3D game with good and extremely British voice acting. It's really good.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Harrow posted:

DQVIII was the one that got me into the series, and I'd say it's probably the most similar to XI in that it's also a modern 3D game with good and extremely British voice acting. It's really good.
Yeah, 8 is a lot more similar to 11 than any other modern one, so I'd say go with it.

(7 starts slow even in the remake, 9 is fine but unremarkable without all the wifi content which is just grinding anyway, 10 is a mmo)

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Framboise posted:

Veronica is my favorite by orders of magnitudes of magnitudes.

Sylvando's definitely right after her though.

This. Veronica is awesome.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

There's been hints of a IX remake floating around too

scourgeofthe7bees
Jun 21, 2008

Elephant Ambush posted:

This. Veronica is awesome.

Veronica owns, Sylvando owns. Also, favorite side character so far is Vince, Octagonia’s orphan king brosef. I think i am nearly through his plot, sadly...

This game shares the refreshing wholesomeness of DQIX (and probably others? Haven’t played ‘em) and is a great distraction from the real world.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

5 is kinda dark for most of the game, but other than that yeah, DQ as a whole is a pretty upbeat series.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Am I really underlevelled in DQXI S so far? Just came across a boss I think I'm going to have to grind up 4-5 levels for. I just got the sword of light and tried to fight the first boss in the castle of darkness or whatever. He basically one turn killed me. I'm level 36-ish.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Nash posted:

Veronica I was also worried about but she is ok.

The last DQ game I played was the original Dragon Warrior IV on the NES when it first came out. It reminds me of why I preferred DW to the final fantasy games.

Play V. A lot of people consider it to be the best game in the series.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

eonwe posted:

Am I really underlevelled in DQXI S so far? Just came across a boss I think I'm going to have to grind up 4-5 levels for. I just got the sword of light and tried to fight the first boss in the castle of darkness or whatever. He basically one turn killed me. I'm level 36-ish.
I want to say I was in my late 40's or early 50's in levels when I went to that area (in the original PS4 version), but I dunno how much you want to use that as a guideline, because I tend to be overleveled due to just taking my time and not running from/avoiding fights.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Commander Keene posted:

I want to say I was in my late 40's or early 50's in levels when I went to that area (in the original PS4 version), but I dunno how much you want to use that as a guideline, because I tend to be overleveled due to just taking my time and not running from/avoiding fights.

I remember being in the early 40s finishing up act two instead the late 40s. Honestly impressive to make it that far that underleveled. I don’t remember grinding at all until I was in the very end.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

eonwe posted:

Weird, that's where I was when I got to that point in the story, roleplaying as if I was the hero and just charging in immediately because people needed to be rescued right now dammit.

Are you using draconian challenges or something? I remember it being touch and go at some parts of the fight but I was able to win it first try without any hardmode additions.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jan 31, 2021

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'll try again! I may have gotten a particularly nasty combo.

Thanks folks

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
okay it ended up being fine. Same with the next 3 big fights. good stuff

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

eonwe posted:

I think that is the hardest boss in the game. It comes out of nowhere and pummels you.

I do think you are underleveled, though. I think I finished that area around level 50.

A tip when you are past that boss and in the castle proper; use a Hallelujah pep power to force a rare drop from a great dragon. That will give you a staff of resurrection, which is very strong and gives you free use of zing.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

an actual dog posted:

There's been hints of a IX remake floating around too

I hope so. Whoever thought that locking content that way was a good idea deserves a kick in the arse.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Was it actually any good. I don't think I've ever even heard anyone talk about nine except for it having content that's gone

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

IX is an excellent game. I wish more JRPGs had drop-in/drop-out multiplayer turn based battles.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
I thought IX was pretty bland, especially after how good VIII was. I honestly don't remember anything about it except for the gyaru fairy and the flying train.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Localize X, drat it. It looks like an mmo I’d actually play.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
9 was actually the first Dragon quest I played and while I didn't beat it I liked it a lot and it's the reason I played other Dragon Quest games. Best crafting system in the series I've dealt with and I really liked how almost every piece of armor had its own model that was always represented on your character, which I think is unique in the series (maybe 10 has it, if it was in the game immediately before it'd be weird to leave it out for the mmo).

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Is anyone playing Dragon Quest Tact'?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

What now is there a tactics game

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

What now is there a tactics game

It's the bad phone mobile game

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

drat FFT is the best final fantasy, why couldn't they make a sick as hell tactics game outta dragon quest

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Is anyone playing Dragon Quest Tact'?

I have been playing it for a few days and it's not bad. The writing has that DQ feel and they're dropping goodies on you constantly, so much so that I haven't felt the need to shell out for their gacha stuff.

There's also a DQ1 event going on at the moment, which I mostly know from playing Dragon Quest Builders and the tockle stuff in DQ11S.

scourgeofthe7bees
Jun 21, 2008

Gaius Marius posted:

Was it actually any good. I don't think I've ever even heard anyone talk about nine except for it having content that's gone

I loved it, my first experience with DQ and I deleted my save just so I could play the whole story again

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

SeANMcBAY posted:

Localize X, drat it. It looks like an mmo I’d actually play.

It is essentially a more modern FFXI with a DQ skin, I quite liked it.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

kirbysuperstar posted:

It is essentially a more modern FFXI with a DQ skin, I quite liked it.

I’d much prefer to play in the DQ setting for an mmo than FF. Much more cozy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

SeANMcBAY posted:

I’d much prefer to play in the DQ setting for an mmo than FF. Much more cozy.

Sure. I liked the races too, especially the oni and fishpeople. I had a fish martial artist and she was cool as hell.