Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Pylons posted:

It feels like nobody has really figured out live sports on streaming services in a way that replicates the communal feeling of watching them on cable.

It used to be that I didn't like resorting to illegal streams precisely because of this reason, that I always ended up so far behind the live coverage that I couldn't talk about it in real time with my friends. But with Peacock-exclusive PL games I can find a BT or Sky stream and still somehow be ahead of the Peacock stream. Thanks, Peacock!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

your friend wicka posted:

I feel like you're not getting the fact that cable companies own a lot of these streaming services. They exist specifically because the cable companies saw the end of cable coming, bought companies that sell content (which they saw as having inherent value), and set up streaming services to serve as revenue streams post-cable. They will milk cable for all it's worth and when they see the end in sight they'll kick it to the curb and shift everything to OTT. It doesn't really matter when this happens relative to now, the point is that it's virtually guaranteed to happen eventually. They are dumping billions into these services in the short term because like every company that's ever existed they see the appeal of vertical integration and they want to get there ASAP, but "failing" in that context means that at worst they'll find they moved too fast and downsize to stay profitable. The idea of any of the major services I mentioned actually being shuttered permanently is nearly inconceivable barring further consolidation.

I fully understand that most of these companies are integrated. It does matter when it happens because if certain services struggle and others don't, then those companies will be better situated for a potential post cable world. It also matters that in the near future there's no way to make up the revenue you have with TV on these services. So they serve two masters as cable declines.

There is a huge elephant in the room called Amazon, a giant massive company that is trying to monopolize everything. They have been slowly ramping up Prime, and slowly moving into the live sports arena. Will they be major players when the next round of contracts come up? How will the networks with under performing streaming services be able to respond if Amazon throws money around once television is not the obvious landing place for sports.

Plus Disney and ESPN+ which is starting to boom.

We also have one major network in Fox that does not have a streaming platform. They are betting on live sports at the expense of everything else to keep their platforms relevant.

So I definitely think the market could see one of these fail. It will probably be Netflix (or they'll merge with someone) but if the plays we see going on now don't work out we could see things go south for the companies invested in these services.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
Youtube just recommended me the "YOU, THE FANS, ARE THE AUTHORITY" video. That was really over 2 years ago already eh?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Blaise330 posted:

Youtube just recommended me the "YOU, THE FANS, ARE THE AUTHORITY" video. That was really over 2 years ago already eh?

when books are written on this the moment they thoguht they had the Bucks and did this, and then they instead went and founded their most successful rival in 20 years resulting in Vince Assuming Direct Control of NXT and running that into the ground too*

*they seem to be randomly improving this year by a lot compared to last year and the year before, still not as good as their golden age but unlike every other WWE product that theres an upswing on something that isnt NXT UK is a miracle

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

I'm feeling something new...something...I'm happy??!!
Here is the answer to all that streaming nonsense and if it's going to survive and what should I get...

Live in Canada like me. We get nothing so we can't have anything. It's great.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

MassRafTer posted:

So I definitely think the market could see one of these fail. It will probably be Netflix (or they'll merge with someone) but if the plays we see going on now don't work out we could see things go south for the companies invested in these services.

I hadn't thought about this, but Netflix seems to have less of a long-term plan compared to other services. The amount of turnover in their content is one thing, but cancellations of original series should be ... concerning. Then again, they have a huge subscriber base and regular income, and they supposedly do a lot in the way of analytics, which may translate to significant value.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Red posted:

I hadn't thought about this, but Netflix seems to have less of a long-term plan compared to other services. The amount of turnover in their content is one thing, but cancellations of original series should be ... concerning. Then again, they have a huge subscriber base and regular income, and they supposedly do a lot in the way of analytics, which may translate to significant value.

I tend to agree with MRT on Netflix being most likely of any of the big players to fail. Their original content is largely terrible with a few notable exceptions and it's hard for me to believe they'll be able to turn that around once they lose the bulk of third party content rights to other platforms. Their plan is very much analytics driven; I think they just want to cheaply produce shows that target every possible genre so people will continue to think Netflix has an endlessly library and they'll always be able to find something to watch. But eventually people will probably realize it's mostly bad. Hell, the fact that different users will see different posters for the same shows depending on what Netflix thinks you're interested in says a lot about their strategy.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Netflix has lost a lot of goodwill over the past few years by canceling well-liked original series without even giving the creators a heads-up. One Day at a Time, Tuca and Bertie, GLOW, Santa Clarita Diet, Everything Sucks, Sense8, the Get Down, Friends from College, Dark Crystal, I am Not Okay with This, Teenage Bounty Hunters, Patriot Act, the Michele Wolf show, etc, etc, etc. Nobody wants to bother trying to watch their shows anymore because they’ll be cancelled by the second season.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Blaise330 posted:

"We're sorry we have Baron Corbin as an on-screen authority figure. How would you like it if he retired Kurt Angle and was in a Universal Title feud?"

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Netflix has lost a lot of goodwill over the past few years by canceling well-liked original series without even giving the creators a heads-up. One Day at a Time, Tuca and Bertie, GLOW, Santa Clarita Diet, Everything Sucks, Sense8, the Get Down, Friends from College, Dark Crystal, I am Not Okay with This, Teenage Bounty Hunters, Patriot Act, the Michele Wolf show, etc, etc, etc. Nobody wants to bother trying to watch their shows anymore because they’ll be cancelled by the second season.

Hell they even pulled the plug on Bojack before the showrunners were ready to end it.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

CrcleSqreSanchz posted:

Here is the answer to all that streaming nonsense and if it's going to survive and what should I get...

Live in Canada like me. We get nothing so we can't have anything. It's great.

Oddly enough I think Canada is in a better place for streaming because we will only have be able to have a max of 6 due to media in Canada’s week rd media climate.

The fact the Disney is openly ending their deals here for Star is great.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
What's even more confusing is that most of those cancellations happened after they lost all their Marvel shows because of the Disney+ launch.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah I think once Stars launches on Disney+, Netflix are absolutely hosed. Their library just looks pathetic compared to what Disney has now.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

they look like a bunch of net dicks

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Someone took my debit card numbers a few months ago so I had to change the billing info on all my streaming/monthly stuff. I forgot to do it for Netflix so they cut me off and I don't miss it at all.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
There was no Carlito this week. Very sad.

Also they haven't updated Sheamus' profile picture on WWE to his new hilarious Aiden o'Shea cosplay yet. Very sad.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Much like WWE, Netflix’s biggest strength is its brand name itself. It’ll keep going on forever and failing upwards based on how synonymous it is with streaming video. For all the crap they pump out all they need is the occasional popular movie or series for most people to justify the cost.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Tato posted:

There was no Carlito this week. Very sad.

Also they haven't updated Sheamus' profile picture on WWE to his new hilarious Aiden o'Shea cosplay yet. Very sad.

They'll probably wait until they have completly revamped him and start calling him "The Thug" Aiden O'Sheamus.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

Pope Corky the IX posted:

It says a lot about Netflix’ churn of shows that I use it almost every night yet have only heard of like three of these

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

I have hated the Rock since 1998 and I hope he never returns!

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
https://twitter.com/morningmoonmeme/status/1359277092085628928

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

When does Bad Bunny challenge Bo Rida for his Rap Battle Championship?

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003
Gina Carano just got herself fired from Star Wars for being anti-semitic, anti-mask, and an absolute knob, so expect to see her in WWE around Summerslam.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
question for the folks. why did Hideo Itami not work out in wwe? he was one of the rare few to not get wished well in his future endeavours upon getting canned.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Reality Protester posted:

question for the folks. why did Hideo Itami not work out in wwe? he was one of the rare few to not get wished well in his future endeavours upon getting canned.

AFAIK it was a combination of injuries, him accidentally breaking someone's nose with the GTS, and Daniel Bryan and Punk having stolen both of his finishers before he got to WWE.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

NXT results for 2/10 from https://www.f4wonline.com/nxt-results/wwe-nxt-live-results-takeover-vengeance-day-go-home-show-332711

MSK (Wes Lee & Nash Carter) defeated Legado Del Fantasma (Raul Mendoza & Joaquin Wilde) to advance to the Men's Dusty Classic finals

Carter pinned Wilde in this semifinal match. Great flying and exciting action in this bout.

Heat on Lee as the rudos worked him over. Hot tag to a fresh Carter, and he was running wild for a moment. Not for long as a double team effort led to Lee being dropkicked off the apron, and the show cut to a commercial break with the rudos standing tall.

Babyface comeback began as the show returned from the commercial break. Lee cleaned house after a hot tag. Carter with an assisted shooting star press off the apron to the floor. Lee followed up with a tope con giro over the ropes to the floor.

Lee was cut off, and Mendoza rocked him with a missile dropkick. Wilde then struck with a poison rana on Lee, and he picked up Lee for to deliver a brainbuster. Carter jumped in the ring to make a save by breaking up a pin attempt.

Mendoza held Carter in a fireman's carry. Wilde then jumped off the top rope, springboarded off the back of Carter (who was still in the fireman's carry), and Wilde hit a 450 splash on Lee. Not sure if the description did it justice. It was a helluva deal. Except Lee was able to catch Wilde in a small package for a near fall.

Another comeback by MSK, and they execute their Hart Attack/Blocbuster finisher. Carter covered Wilde for a pinfall.

Mercedes Martinez in a vignette talked about her challenging for the NXT Women's Championship in a triple threat at TakeOver.

Xia Li (with Boa & Tian Sha) defeated Cora Jade

Kacy Catanzaro & Kayden Carter were at ringside telling Li they are worried about her. So they picked her match as the time to speak to her about it? Whatever.

Jade attacked Li while Li was distracted by Catanzaro & Carter. That made little difference. Li quickled ran through Cade, and nailed her with a spinning kick for a quick pinfall.

Carter & Catanzaro were in disbelief. They pleaded with Li to came to her senses. Carter walked up the ramp to confront Tian Sha, who was sitting on a thorn at the top of the ramp.

Carter demanded Tian Sha identify herself. I guess Carter did not watch the animated video from last week. Li did not like Carter harassing Tian Sha, so Li tossed Carter off the ramp. Carter did flip and took a bump off the ramp.

Tian Sha was still not pleased, so grapped Coa by the throat. Li then assualted Catanzaro, and Tian Sha left go of her grib on Boa.

Scarlett was waiting for William Regal in his office. She wanted a match for next week with Karrion Kross against Santos Escobar, and Regal booked the match.

Johnny Gargano is injured ... or is he?

The Way made their way to the ring for the next match. NXT North American Champion Johnny Gargano was haggard. Poor guy was apparently unable to walk due to a broken arm. Austin Theory and Indi Hartwell had to carry him from his wheelchair to the ring. They perched him on the top turnbuckle with his arm in the sling. Gargano put on a brave face, and he waved to the crowd.

The wheelchair was placed in the ring, and Gargano was carried to it. He addressed the crowd while being unfortunately heckled by seemingly ungrateful fans. They booed such a brave man. He had trouble speaking. This broken arm must be a very debilitating injury.

Gargano blamed Kushida for the injury. Footage showed Kushida kicking Gargano's arm. Gargano said he suffered four fractures in his arm. He is power walker that swings his arms, but he cannot do that because his arm hurts. Bless his heart. We know how much he hates wheels, and not he is in a chair with wheels. He admitted this was bad. Fans chanted "Johnny Wheelchair" at him.

Gargano said he was now unable to defend his title at TakeOver. He was really looking forward to it. Gargano insisted that Kushida be suspended for his actions. William Regal interrupted Gargano, but he did not suspend Kushida.

Regal revealed that Gargano was cleared to wrestle as of yesterday. Gargano disagreed completely, and he claimed he went to his own doctor. Gargano even had an X-ray. He showed it on the screen, and it showed four breaks in the longest bone on his arm.

Regal scoffed, and he said that was not Gargano's X-Ray. Regal even pointed out it was an X-ray of a right arm, and Gargano injured his left arm. Gargano insisted it was real.

Regal said Gargano had two options: forfeit the title or let Theory defend the title in his match against Kushida later on.

Kushida snuck into the ring, and he jumped The Way in a funny spot. He got Gargano to play tug-o-war with the North American title belt. Kushida led Gargano win, and Gargano snatched the title away. Gargano was using both hands, and he held the title with his supposedly injured hand. This proved Gargano was faking the injury this whole time.

Kushida decked Gargano with a punch, and Gargano took a Bret Hart bump backwards in the wheelchair.

Shotzi Blackheart & Ember Moon defeated Candice LeRae & Indi Hartwell to advance to the Women's Dusty Classic finals

LeRae pinned Hartwell to win the match. Really good match, albeit with a convoluted finish where it seems like a million things happened in a row. Raquel Gonzalez & Dakota Kai

The heels worked over Shotzi during the match. Moon was able to tag in, turning the tide for a moment. She was soon cut off before a commercial break. Heat on Moon through the breal.

Blackheart cleaned house when the show returned from the break. She came in off a hot tag. Moon was soon back in the match. LeRae with an assisted springboard quebrada, and then a tope to the outside.

Blackheart took a Wicked Stepsister from LeRae, and then Hartwell with a springboard flying elbow drop on Blackheart. Moments later Blackheart was fighting back. She caught Hartwell with a DDT. Moon flew into the ring for an Eclipse on LeRae, stunning her into falling backwards. Blackheart went for a senton. Hartwell jumped on top of LeRae to save her. Blackheart hit the senton, and she covered Hartwell for a pinfall.

The finals are set for the Women's Dusty Classic, which is Blackheart & Moon vs. Dakota Kai & Raquel Gonzalez. Regal also announced the winners of the Women's Dusty Classic will get a title shot at the WWE Women's Tag Team Championship

Escobar ordered his henchmen to attack Kross.

A video package hyped the NXT Championship match on Sunday at TakeOver where Finn Balor defends against Pete Dunne.

Kushida defeated Austin Theory (with Johnny Gargano) via disqualification

Gargano interfered to cause the DQ.

No entrances. Just right into the match as the show returned from a commercial break. They started with a brawl since this was a grudge match.

Kushida was super aggressive, and he showed a lot of fire. Gargano tried to distract him, but Kushida instead punished Theory with kicks and such. Theory was seemingly supposed to trip up Kushida on a springboard, but Kushida appeared to trip himself on the ropes for real. Nonetheless, Theory knocked him off the apron before a commercial break.

Theory was working over Kushida as the show returned from the break. Comeback by Kushida, and he targeted an arm. The fight spilled outside. Kushida caught Theory in an armbar on the apron, but Gargano superkicked Kushida. The referee called for a DQ as Gargano and Theory both attacked Kushida.

The heels were beating down Kushida, and they rolled him back into the ring. Someone from under the ring snatched Theory, and Theory was being dragged under the ring. Gargano went to save him, but he was too late. Theory was pulled under the ring into the unknown.

Gargano still thought he was saving the day. He dragged someone out, but that person was Dexter Lumis. This startled Gargano, and he backpeadaled away. Lumis also frightened Theory, who has crawled out from underneath the ring. Kushida caught Theory in an armbar. Gargano ran down to save Theory. Gargano was then caught in the Hoverboard Lock. Lumis choked out Theory as Kushida held the North American title high.

Toni Storm in a vignette cut a promo ahead of her challenging for the NXT Women's Championship in a triple threat at TakeOver.

Another vignette hyped Imperium.

Legado del Fantasma's Raul Mendoza & Joaquin Wilde were laid out backstage. Kross has beaten them up, and then he cut a promo on Escobar. Kross meets Escobar in a match next week.

Enter the Southern Million Dollar Man

Cameron Grimes arrived to the arena driving a Lamborghini. He was passing out money left and right. He was wearing a suit with no shirt. His top hat was of course on his head. What a character!

Grimes came to the ring for a promo. He began a funny rambling rant about getting injured by Timothy Thatcher. He ranted and raved about his recovery where he played video games. He found a store called GameStop. So he decided to buy stock in the company. He got rich. He also bought some Dogecoin. Now he is even more rich.

Grimes was elated. He took off his sports coat like an excited Ric Flair. Grimes screamed he was richer than Elon Musk. Grimes started hollering that everyone can kiss his grits. Grimes said he got so much money it was hilarious. He made a snow angel in the ring with money. What a character!

A vignette hyped NXT Women's Champion Io Shirai ahead of her title defense this Sunday.

Grizzled Young Veterans (James Drake & Zack Gibson) defeated Timothy Thatcher & Tommaso Ciampa to advance to the Dusty Classic finals

Gibson pinned Ciampa to win the match.

Ciampa was shoved into the ring steps before a commercial break. Thatcher was worked over until the show returned from the break. He fought back, but he was outnumbered by Grizzled Young Veterans. Ciampa was still down selling the spot from earlier. He soon recovered to make a hot tag.

Ciampa cleaned house with a fury. However, he was cut off. Drake then knocked Thatcher off the apron, blocking Ciampa from tagging out. Ciampa took a Doomsday Device. Thatcher jumped back into the ring to make a save, and he broke up a pinning attempt.

A melee developed in the closing moments. Thatcher was dispatched after taking a tope. Ciampa was blocked from executing Widow's Bell. Ciampa then took a Ticket To Mayhem, and Gibson covered Ciampa to score the pinfall.

The Men's Dusty Classic is now set for Sundau with MSK vs. Grizzled Young Veterans.

The show closed with a hard sell for TakeOver with the announcers running down the matches. This was mixed with footage of the particpants in face-offs.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
does MSK stand for murder sex kill

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
WES LEE TO THE FINALS BABY

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Reality Protester posted:

I wouldn't read much into that, they let him out even though he had time on his contract and basically gave him a whole goodbye video on social media, someone probably just forgot to say future endeavors.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Grizzled Young Vets are loving terrible but I guess it makes sense for an established team to win the Dusty classic.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Rick posted:

I wouldn't read much into that, they let him out even though he had time on his contract and basically gave him a whole goodbye video on social media, someone probably just forgot to say future endeavors.

They thought he was going to walk into NOAH (which they would eventually own) they didn't need to wish him well in his future endeavors, because he wasn't out of the pipeline to them.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Things I remember about Hideo Itami:
1) introduced Finn Balor
2) campaigned against the unsafe NXT car park
3) cute baby

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
He got injured. Then he had this grand return and he was gonna do the GTS instead of his DOA NXT finish. Then some green PC talent injured him like 5 minutes later. He just could never keep momentum.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

didn't just injure him, broke his neck on a powerslam.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
It also took him way longer to recover from his shoulder surgery than expected IIRC which I'm sure Vince saw as some sign of weakness

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Dogecoin

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!
Hideo Itami had a cool return at Takeover Brooklyn II and gave Austin Area a GTS while wearing a suit and loafers.

SonicRulez posted:

He got injured. Then he had this grand return and he was gonna do the GTS instead of his DOA NXT finish. Then some green PC talent injured him like 5 minutes later. He just could never keep momentum.

Raw Underground legend Riddick Moss broke Kenta's neck

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

karmicknight posted:

They thought he was going to walk into NOAH (which they would eventually own) they didn't need to wish him well in his future endeavors, because he wasn't out of the pipeline to them.

I'm glad that didn't happen so much.

Also, glad that NXT Japan didn't happen although if they would've ended up having a working relationship with AJPW as rumored that might have lead to some fun matches.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Accident Underwater posted:

Hideo Itami had a cool return at Takeover Brooklyn II and gave Austin Area a GTS while wearing a suit and loafers.

Raw Underground legend Riddick Moss broke Kenta's neck

Riddick Moss does not exist this joke is one of the weirder ones this forum has done.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Finn Bàlor Vs Pete Dunne - NXT Championship

Io Shirai Vs Toni Storm Vs Mercedes Martinez - NXT Women’s Championship

Johnny Gargano Vs Kushida - North American Championship

Dakota & Raquel Vs Shotzi & Ember - Women’s Dusty Cup Finals (Winner also gets future Women’s tag title shot)

MSK Vs Grizzled Young Veterans- Men’s Dusty Cup Finals

That's the TakeOver card and its... fine? Like not world breaking and up and down but theres some stuff in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I can't say enough about how much I hate a triple threat title match.