Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
You know what I can't stop laughing at? The fact that a guy got so mad that Trump lost the election that he accidentally tased himself in the balls and died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

CPL593H posted:

You know what I can't stop laughing at? The fact that a guy got so mad that Trump lost the election that he accidentally tased himself in the balls and died.

What about the lady holding a Don’t Tread on Me flag who was trampled to death in the name of Donald Trump.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

X-Ray Pecs posted:

What about the lady holding a Don’t Tread on Me flag who was trampled to death in the name of Donald Trump.

I forgot about that. It's also funny but not "tased himself in the balls and died" funny.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I’m tired

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Gatts posted:

I’m tired

The thought that's been constantly running through my head over the past few days.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Is Wormwood worth a watch?

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

CPL593H posted:

I forgot about that. It's also funny but not "tased himself in the balls and died" funny.

Testicular injury is almost always funny.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/ThePlaylist/status/1359542606536015877?s=20

I need this to be good. I don't want to be overly dramatic, but I don't think I could handle Clone High coming back and being bad

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Gripweed posted:

https://twitter.com/ThePlaylist/status/1359542606536015877?s=20

I need this to be good. I don't want to be overly dramatic, but I don't think I could handle Clone High coming back and being bad

Don’t worry, it’ll be fine. Nothing bad ever happens to the Kennedys.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Say whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasssaat

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Testicular injury is almost always funny.

“Man being hit in the groin with a football”

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

FreudianSlippers posted:

Lifeforce is like if they took Alien and Dracula mashed them together and turned the horny dial up to 11.

It's wild.

Famously unhorny movies Alien and Dracula

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

That's the wildest part taking already horny properties and making them even hornier.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

yeah you're definitely underestimating just how horny Lifeforce is

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
I just watched Congo for the first time in years last night. It's really special in so many ways. Not terribly horny, though. Which is fine.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

So apparently the girl in that movie who plays the vampire was only 18 years old.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CPL593H posted:

So apparently the girl in that movie who plays the vampire was only 18 years old.

good for her, i wish i was headlining Tobe Hooper's third best movie at 18 years old

edit: fourth best, I forgot TCM 2

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

good for her, i wish i was headlining Tobe Hooper's third best movie at 18 years old

edit: fourth best, I forgot TCM 2

Are you going to be one of those hot take people that doesn't put The Texas Chain Saw Massacre at number one?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CPL593H posted:

Are you going to be one of those hot take people that doesn't put The Texas Chain Saw Massacre at number one?

no, but I am going to be one of those hot take people for which Poltergeist doesn't really rate at all (although I would like it on the record that it is not because I think Spielberg ghost-directed it, a notion I fully reject)

for me it's something like

TCM
TCM 2
The Funhouse
Lifeforce
Eaten Alive

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

no, but I am going to be one of those hot take people for which Poltergeist doesn't really rate at all (although I would like it on the record that it is not because I think Spielberg ghost-directed it, a notion I fully reject)

for me it's something like

TCM
TCM 2
The Funhouse
Lifeforce
Eaten Alive

I'm not much a fan of his other stuff to be honest. But I haven't seen TCM 2 since I was 19ish and I never saw Eaten Alive. I just flat out hated Funhouse but I get why people would like it. It's just not for me. I haven't seen all of Poltergeist so I can't give a full opinion on that. I've been meaning to revisit TCM 2 for a long time. The other thing is that the original TCM is one of my all timers so I have a lot of bias around this poo poo. I consider it to be among the best films I've ever seen.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CPL593H posted:

I'm not much a fan of his other stuff to be honest. But I haven't seen TCM 2 since I was 19ish and I never saw Eaten Alive. I just flat out hated Funhouse but I get why people would like it. It's just not for me. I haven't seen all of Poltergeist so I can't give a full opinion on that. I've been meaning to revisit TCM 2 for a long time. The other thing is that the original TCM is one of my all timers so I have a lot of bias around this poo poo. I consider it to be among the best films I've ever seen.

I will say this: I pretty much hated TCM 2 on my first viewing, but it grew on me to an insane degree. COMPLETELY different film experience than the first one, though.

The original is one of my favorites too, I would agree it's one of the greatest films ever made, possibly the greatest horror film of all time.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I will say this: I pretty much hated TCM 2 on my first viewing, but it grew on me to an insane degree. COMPLETELY different film experience than the first one, though.

The original is one of my favorites too, I would agree it's one of the greatest films ever made, possibly the greatest horror film of all time.

I think that's the same reason I didn't take to it. And I don't like to say "One of the greatest ever made." because there are just too many movies. But if I had to make that call I'd throw that in there. It's much easier to say it could be the best horror film ever made because that's a narrower scope and TCM had a lot of cheap imitators too.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The manic energy of TCM 2 won me over. Chop Top is one of the best horror villains out there. Just an absolutely unhinged and down right fun performance.

I don’t love it as much as I did, but it’s still a favorite of mine.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CPL593H posted:

I think that's the same reason I didn't take to it. And I don't like to say "One of the greatest ever made." because there are just too many movies. But if I had to make that call I'd throw that in there. It's much easier to say it could be the best horror film ever made because that's a narrower scope and TCM had a lot of cheap imitators too.

If I wanted to narrow it down further I might call it The Great American Horror Film, the holy trinity of which for me is The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Halloween, and A Nightmare on Elm Street.

The outliers in that ranking would be the first two Evil Dead films, which kind of feel a little too niche, and the first two Living Dead films, which almost feel like they’re bigger than the phrase “The Great American Horror Film” implies

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Dog will hunt!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Lick my plate you dog dick!

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I agree, it’s unreal someone could watch Poltergeist, Raiders, and Lifeforce, and come away thinking Poltergeist is a Spielberg movie.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Rewatched Predator and wrote about it a bit. Bit of a ramble

https://letterboxd.com/queenceleste/film/predator/

Copy/paste so you don't have to click the link

quote:

It's been at least a decade since I last watched this movie, and upon rewatch it still holds up as one of the better action movies of the 80s and a highlight of Schwarzenegger's career. However, it also occurred to me in this rewatch that it's actually a much smarter movie than I had previously given it credit for.

What I find most interesting is it's anti-imperialist theming.

1. Dutch and his team are sent to South America under the pretense of a "rescue mission" only to find they had been tricked into an assassination mission aimed at local guerilla fighters. This infuriates Dutch as something he is morally opposed to doing. Despite being green berets, Dutch and his team feel disgust at having invaded a foreign land to senselessly kill people through the trickery of the CIA.

2. The Predator itself is a sci-fi reimagining of the "Great White Hunter" archetype. Characters who would travel from Europe to Africa in order to hunt the big game native to the continent. It was a destructive practice for the region and relied upon imperial powers to secure the region for said hunters.

The Predator is an invasive hunter from a far off planet, whose technology far exceeds our own. It has an air of nobility, but doesn't it just reveal its "noble" nature is all a sham when it decides to nuke the place out of spite? Is it particularly "noble" and sporting to hide from your prey and pick them off one by one with far greater technology? It's an incredible pretension to hunt something that has no chance at fighting back and act like you've claimed an honorable kill.

3. In order to defeat the Predator, Dutch adopts guerilla tactics to essentially out think and render the Predators advantages obsolete. Dutch's character arc goes sees him go from being an unwitting pawn of imperialism, to fighting back against a personification of senseless killing in the name of sport. Interesting to note, that normally, Schwarzenegger's character is the biggest guy in the room, easily picking off scores of henchmen without breaking a sweat. Here, his character starts off in that typical role, and ends with an inversion of this.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/gmanetwork/status/1359721327276482562?s=20

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
That kid needs to be in school.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHg7TKIBUNY

Stumbled on this conversation between Clancy Brown and Michael Rosenbaum(they both played Lex Luthor at one point). Anyway, Brown says here that he thinks the producers of The Highlander barely read the script, so they offered the role to Sean Connery because they assumed that a Scottish actor would be a perfect fit for a movie called The Highlander.

I'm pretty sure Brown is just saying that based on general disdain for producers but still got an lol out of me imagining that it might be true.

Edit: oh I see, a minute later he says that they actually did want Connery to play the title role. Interesting, I never knew that.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Feb 11, 2021

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Did The Highlander invent the katana and trenchcoat combo, or just popularize it?

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

Roth posted:

Rewatched Predator and wrote about it a bit. Bit of a ramble

https://letterboxd.com/queenceleste/film/predator/

Nice write-up! Arnold's classic work are buried in my imagination from seeing bits and pieces on television as a kid, I bet they've aged well.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Lifeforce bugs me a little because the big V’ger space-madness sequence was very obviously meant to be a flashback/dream-sequence later in the film

Putting the big centrepiece effects sequence at the very beginning means that things don’t really escalate, and you also know - right off the bat - that these are vampire aliens, instead of having some mystery.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Feb 11, 2021

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

KVeezy3 posted:

Nice write-up! Arnold's classic work are buried in my imagination from seeing bits and pieces on television as a kid, I bet they've aged well.

Yea maybe it was because of how careful and methodical Arnold was with his career choices, but a very high percentage of those movies still hold up extremely well today. At least for a decade, from 1982 when he did Conan to 1991 when he did Terminator 2, I'd be perfectly happy to sit down and watch any of those films. There isn't a stinker in the whole bunch(Red Heat is debatable).

Then of course starting in 1993 he became a bit more inconsistent but he was still batting around .500 with stuff like True Lies, Eraser, and Jingle All the Way so overall he made far less bad movies than the typical action star or A-list star of any genre.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Are the "Unrated, Extended Cut!" of comedy movies always worse?

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Vincent posted:

Are the "Unrated, Extended Cut!" of comedy movies always worse?
The extended cut of Walk Hard is a masterpiece and should have gotten a Best Costume Design nomination.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

Yea maybe it was because of how careful and methodical Arnold was with his career choices, but a very high percentage of those movies still hold up extremely well today. At least for a decade, from 1982 when he did Conan to 1991 when he did Terminator 2, I'd be perfectly happy to sit down and watch any of those films. There isn't a stinker in the whole bunch(Red Heat is debatable).

Then of course starting in 1993 he became a bit more inconsistent but he was still batting around .500 with stuff like True Lies, Eraser, and Jingle All the Way so overall he made far less bad movies than the typical action star or A-list star of any genre.

I wonder how many of those he took on because of that Crusades project he was attached to falling apart

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I wonder how many of those he took on because of that Crusades project he was attached to falling apart

It's interesting because the most obvious scheduling conflict there would've been T2, because the Crusades project fell apart in 1990 and that's around the time T2 was shooting. I can only assume that if Arnold was unavailable T2 still would've happened, just a year later.

Kindergarten Cop was filmed in 1990 so maybe Arnold wouldn't have had the time for it if the Crusades project was happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

It's interesting because the most obvious scheduling conflict there would've been T2, because the Crusades project fell apart in 1990 and that's around the time T2 was shooting. I can only assume that if Arnold was unavailable T2 still would've happened, just a year later.

Kindergarten Cop was filmed in 1990 so maybe Arnold wouldn't have had the time for it if the Crusades project was happening.

I thought they were still talking about making it in the mid 90's