Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

What's all this then?

Valheim is the latest exploration and survival game on PC, set in a procedurally-generated purgatory inspired by Viking culture. Explore either Solo or with friends as you craft, build and survive your way through the world!

How does it play?

It's been described as a sort of cross between Minecraft, Ark and Dark Souls, with the bosses and creatures being fierce and scaling in difficulty depending on how successful you are in the world. Stamina and eating are key, as is armour and equipment. Dying results in you losing all you were holding at the time, but this can be picked up at a grave where you died. Multiple graves are made for each death, so there's no complete loss of anything if you're willing to go back and get your stuff.

Is it good solo?

So for yes, the game is just as viable solo as it is in a party or co-op. You don't need to play with friends, but you'll probably build cooler places with them!

Early access?

It is extremely stable for an early access game and would put most triple A games to shame for how well developed it is (looking at you Cyberpunk). The developers are very good, listening to feedback and updating quite regularly. With 1 million sold already its unlikely this game will be dropped anytime soon.

Show us some screenshots:

STEAM: https://store.steampowered.com/app/892970/Valheim/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

This space reserved for further information, screenshots, server info etc.

Tips for Survival

Cooking and building a nice house are extremely important - in the latter case you can't use the crafting table without a roof over your head! Things such as fires, warmth and cooking improve upon your health and stamina.

It's recommended to eat three types of food in order to get the boosts (hence the three slots at the bottom left). Eating three varieties of meat seems to be the best approach.

Getting wet or cold will debuff your stamina. Weather effects such as rain can cause this. Being rested will counter this effect.

Communist Bear fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Feb 11, 2021

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
The dark souls element of the gameplay likely means the fact that you have stamina, which means you can't just keep attacking/cutting wood/mining/running constantly. So don't think it means the game is unforgiving.

You have more stamina with better foods and there is a gameplay way of having better stamina regen at least some of the time.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I think the "Dark Souls" part is literally just, "The game has bosses".

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I've been playing this on a 2-4 player group and it's been great fun. A nice atmosphere of exploration and building/busywork (in a positive sense) and combat is mostly there. For single player I've been just mainly trying my hand at building with mixed success.

Our co-op is currently at the phase of gathering iron from sunken crypts to make better gear and eventually find third boss Bonemass. His symbol is way further on the map we've been at, though. We also made a small foray into a mountain region to mainly find a bit of obsidian and some wolf pelts.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Has anyone got any good layouts for buildings? For my own purposes, I just need stuff you can build before killing any bosses.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I'd fully recommend going into this game blind. Having to work out what things mean (HUNT HIS KIN, BURN THEIR CHILDREN, etc) and finding new things is all part of the fun.

This is probably the best £15 i've ever spent on a game and it took no time at all for me and my usual group to set up a 10 man server where we're making ridiculously cool looking viking villages.

Suggestions for OP by the way: Stress the importance of actually cooking food and getting the rested buff. I've seen tons of people about to bounce off this game before I go "hey, cook some meat, idiot" and then they marvel as their stamina triples.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

dogstile posted:

I'd fully recommend going into this game blind. Having to work out what things mean (HUNT HIS KIN, BURN THEIR CHILDREN, etc) and finding new things is all part of the fun.

I second this. It's been great doing exploration blind and going "WHAT THE F*CK IS THAT" when we find something new.

One of our greatest adventures was when we got a raft together and decided to go finding the new world across the ocean from our starting island (which was so large in the end we still haven't mapped all of it). Lo and behold, our ferryman said he spotted something like a tentacle on the horizon and we were like "Yeah right lol" and a moment later, the Sea serpent attacked us and we went HOLY poo poo! and ended up marooned on a small swamp island. Needless to say we were kinda ill prepared to fight skellies, draugrs, BLOBs and leeches and spent like an hour making it back to the island to gather our loot with the serpent attacking us constantly on the way back.

A great saga for the ages!

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Feb 11, 2021

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

dogstile posted:

Suggestions for OP by the way: Stress the importance of actually cooking food and getting the rested buff. I've seen tons of people about to bounce off this game before I go "hey, cook some meat, idiot" and then they marvel as their stamina triples.

Have added notes to OP.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Third boss is a trashheap poo from a butt double garbage right now, btw.

Also everything to do about the swamp tier, but the boss particularly.

Game good, it's less EA then most but it still has some hiccups in the early-mid game that need to be padded out and, ofc, it's not actually done yet.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
Haha, I should have known that being able to craft a potion that gives poison resistance would have a fairly necessary use in the near future!

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

First page building tips; how to not have your stuff collapse all the time:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFrcZCJbtlM

Also a cross-post:

Bardeh posted:

Jumped on for a bit to progress a little before my brother can get on again later. We just unlocked the smelter etc to make bronze stuff, and it's a real pain, especially solo, to go out and get all the copper. Until now, playing solo felt fine, but it's very time consuming to craft and upgrade all the bronze stuff you'll need.
Put all the stuff in at dusk. Go to bed. Good Morning! all your stuff is instantly smelted.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
the swimming level up symbol looks like a poop

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Handy tip - logs generally fall in the direction of whichever side they're leaning toward the most. Don't want to get crushed? Don't be on the falling side!

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

i highly recommend listening to Wardruna while playing because it's very very fitting and you don't have to listen to the trash in game music.

I'm loving this game but my partner keeps being a big grump because I want to establish a super safe settlement while he wants to traverse across the world in search for copper ore, oh nooo

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

I'm actually gonna cheese the boss tonight. I figure if I build a big pit and chuck a bunch of spikes at the bottom, i can probably just kite it across and dump it in.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

im loving this game. im like 45 hours in and just beat the 2nd boss. just having fun building.

queeb fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Feb 11, 2021

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

What's folks most efficient way of keeping a fire lit during stormy weather? I am not that great at building so even when I build a fire pit indoors and build a way to ventilate the smoke, it goes out the second it rains.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Solefald posted:

What's folks most efficient way of keeping a fire lit during stormy weather? I am not that great at building so even when I build a fire pit indoors and build a way to ventilate the smoke, it goes out the second it rains.

It just needs a roof over it. This is one I made in the mountains as a tiny outpost. The outside bit just has a 26 degree thatch roof above it, nothing else. That stays on

https://imgur.com/a/MiBQwNF

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Solefald posted:

Make a chimney and put a 26 degree roof piece on top of it to keep the rain out.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Solefald posted:

I'm loving this game but my partner keeps being a big grump because I want to establish a super safe settlement while he wants to traverse across the world in search for copper ore, oh nooo

you're having fun wrong!!

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Gort posted:

I think the "Dark Souls" part is literally just, "The game has bosses".

Yeah the game aint souls like at all.
I would say the combat is more of morrowind like.
the more you use something the better you get at it. Its not bad system at all

Things that are similar to dark souls in valheim.
-weapons and shield choices can slow you down same with equipment
-you run to spot you died at to retrieve your stuff

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Today I built a village and sailed a boat up river and found some ore along the shores of the black forest, I tried sailing home in a storm that opened up on me because I wore out my axe fighting crap while I was mining. Figured I'd sail out to sea to avoid the huge rocks justting out of the shallows when the waves were low. Got most of the way home hugging the coast and then suddenly "ROAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHH" I didn't make it home

Game gud

Behotti
Apr 30, 2008
Fun Shoe
I personally like the ability to teleport my guy from the progress world, back to the peaceful world where I can chop wood, hunt, whatever in relative peace. I would really like a minecraft-esq "peaceful" mode so when I really just want to build, I can do that.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Shoehead posted:

Today I built a village and sailed a boat up river and found some ore along the shores of the black forest, I tried sailing home in a storm that opened up on me because I wore out my axe fighting crap while I was mining. Figured I'd sail out to sea to avoid the huge rocks justting out of the shallows when the waves were low. Got most of the way home hugging the coast and then suddenly "ROAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHH" I didn't make it home

Game gud

The Sea Serpent is the one thing that blocks single player games from progressing.
Most of your later ore MUST be transported over water (most likely).
And not until the 3rd tier of boat can you possibly go fast enough and thats still a random chance.

The team I play with killed the 4th boss already and are on the plains area now.
A rough, rough place, with enemies that hit for over 100 dmg.

Also the items you need to progress to the next armor tier can seemingly only be farmed there.
Which certain enemies seem to keep spawning in our farm and keep destroying the crops.
Anyone that has progressed this far have ideas on that?

OgNar fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Feb 11, 2021

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

OgNar posted:

Which certain enemies seem to keep spawning in our farm and keep destroying the crops.
Anyone that has progressed this far have ideas on that?

We just built a fenced farm right on the edge of plains and black forest, on the edge of water too. Haven't had anything spawn in it yet.

2 star fulings can go f themselves, I'm decked out in the appropriate tier armor sitting at 98 defense and they still do closer to 90 damage. Can't even block it without the 20% movement speed penalty shield

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Jusupov posted:

We just built a fenced farm right on the edge of plains and black forest, on the edge of water too. Haven't had anything spawn in it yet.

2 star fulings can go f themselves, I'm decked out in the appropriate tier armor sitting at 98 defense and they still do closer to 90 damage. Can't even block it without the 20% movement speed penalty shield

I build a wood fenced area surrounded by stone, surrounded by spikes, they just spawn right inside.

We are now considering trying to raise the entire farm ground first to see if maybe that works.

Sadly the only plains we've seen so far seems to be an island.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

They do need to mess with the balance on some of the enemies and their spawn mechs.

Though they already nerfed the skeetos so guess they're listening.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
How is the game for solo play? I haven't played survival games before, and this one has caught my eye, but 95% of my play time will be solo. Are bosses manageable on your own?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

it's balanced around a team. solo play will be rather slow but possible

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

it's balanced around a team. solo play will be rather slow but possible

Yeah it seems to be perfectly fine, but if you're wanting to construct bigger things it will be slower compared to working with people.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Because of my schedule playing poo poo with other people just doesn't happen any more, not even with Goons. I miss it.

Uh anyway anyone know how to divide stacks? My boars are starving!

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Shoehead posted:

Because of my schedule playing poo poo with other people just doesn't happen any more, not even with Goons. I miss it.

Uh anyway anyone know how to divide stacks? My boars are starving!

Shift-click stuff to divide it.

How do you tame boars?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Oh my god this cart is a literal game changer. Kind of a pain in the rear end to weave around trees on a return trip when it's full and slow as hell but this is so much better than making back and forth runs all the time for resources.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Gort posted:

Shift-click stuff to divide it.

How do you tame boars?

Sneak up and drop a few shrooms on the ground, some suggest getting 1-2 mad and letting them chase you into a pen.

e: they can get out of the cheap fences and sometimes even the larger fences.

Later after beating the 4th boss flying enemies will start attacking them.
So building a roof in a stone area would be best.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Feb 11, 2021

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

As it stands boars really aren't worth the work, your time is better spent hunting deer which also lets you collect mushrooms and berries at the same time. Tamed boars don't even guarantee 1 meat per kill, unless there's a mechanic that makes them drop meat every time you kill them.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Ategirs are super good for dealing with Furtlings because the secondary is an AOE knockback, so it's quite easy to just repeatedly knock the Furtlings back before they can get a hit in and you can hit a bunch with it at once

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Have any of you goons made highways for carts yet? I've been trying to progress into Bronze but its such a slog as a solo player, trying to move copper and tin, then finding Pine trees and going a bit ham on them too. I was trying to build a mini highway into the Dark Forest with the Hoe's pathing tool but its pretty rough.

Do you goons just auto run back and fourth with a few pickaxes for a few hours to get enough bronze to beefcake it up?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

i just tossed a portal to the forest near the water, set up chests there, and then fill those chests and boat it back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm trying to avoid diving in to this game on youtube and ruining all the discovery, but I need to know what the combat is like for this as I am thinking of convincing my wife to get this with me. Posts up above say it's not super hard, so that's good, but are there any mainstream games that it closely compares to? She's decent at games but will not really enjoy super intricate mechanics.