Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

sea of losers posted:

ive been listening to funeralopolis and we hate you and dopethrone by electric wizard a lot. what sounds p much like / as good as those tracks

Windhand may be your cup of tea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

Windhand may be your cup of tea.

i don't think he wants a sleeping aid

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

miy mwoiultlh tbreaptpreude ifno srteavtiecr more

A human heart posted:

i don't think he wants a sleeping aid

thatsa band called Sleep isnt it lol

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Unsafe? Not really. But Eyehategod was pretty loving brutal. Pig Destroyer, Napalm Death pits were petty loving rough.

My brother almost lost his wedding ring during an Inquisition set 😂 (pre hosed up accusations...). That was hilarious.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I'm not far into this yet, but I've been enjoying it as background music while my soul slowly dies by Excel poisoning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ors0wpcVDcc

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I've seen Pig Destroyer, Eyehategod, Napalm Death, Terror and a bunch of other bands in that vein, but I think the roughest pit I've seen was Crystal Castles :classiclol: Way less friendly and more flailing limbs that just happen to come too close to you than any metal or hardcore show I've been to, and in the middle of a crowd that mostly wasn't really up for a pit in the first place.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

the roughest pit ive been in was Wormrot bc they bring so much energy they can just whip the crowd up into a FRENZY honestly the most energetic output ive seen from a band

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal
Broke my Apple Watch face, a finger and a dude’s nose in the pit at napalm death a few years back. Probably not the roughest I’ve been in but probably the most damage.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Trabant posted:

I'm not far into this yet, but I've been enjoying it as background music while my soul slowly dies by Excel poisoning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ors0wpcVDcc

Those are really good ways to discover some excellent bands. I think that might be how I found Spaceslug, Causa Sui, and Colour Haze.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I guess the most unsafe I've felt at a show was an Immolation gig where there were several skinheads there (Nocturnal Fear was the local opener and that's their crowd). Some woman that was talking to my friend and I called the parking attendant the N-word. As far as pits it's gotta be Power Trip, though the only time I've been knocked down was during a Convulse set when I wasn't paying attention to the crowd. And I got tippered at a Gojira show once.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
An EHG show is the only place an anonymous person has tried to grind on my rear end.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I did see a fight break out right after an EHG/Ringworm show.

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

I used to go to punk shows in a sewer. The pit is usually between two big concrete pillars. Everyone was cool and looking out for ya but goddamn wrap those pillars in pillows or some poo poo.

I busted my face open when I ran my face into some guys head at another punk show in the desert.

We don't get any underground shows here anymore. :(

Oh but one time my legs fells asleep at a Bongripper show and I fell over and brought my date down with me hahaha

Edit: speaking of, if I'm standing around at a show, my legs tend to fall asleep and I have to shake em out. It's probably cause I'm out of shape but does this happen to anyone else?

Eat The Rich fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Feb 10, 2021

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Are you locking your knees?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Mike from EHG thought I had thrown a beer at them and pointed me out, for a few seconds it looked like dudes around me were about to attack me.

Meanwhile it was a guy who had been near me but slinked off when the band got angry. I had been pretty rowdy along with the rest of the crowd up front so it was totally believable but it wouldn’t have occurred to me to throw poo poo at the band. I’ve only ever thrown stuff at the Dwarves.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

The only scary concert experience I had was at Killswitch Engage show. I was at the front of the circle pit, and some guy stuck his leg out and tripped me, and about 7 other people fell on top of me. There was so much weight on top of me I wasn't able to breathe at all. It probably lasted about 15 seconds but it felt like an eternity.

Other than that, Slayer crowds are probably the most violent I've been in. I really think the bigger bands like Pantera, Slayer, Lamb of God, etc. are where you find the people just really itching to gently caress somebody's day up. Once you get to the really underground poo poo, it just seems like everyone there wants to have a good time and rage.

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

the best pits are at screamo basement diy shows, this is not negotiable. fight me

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I saw Motorhead with Rose Tattoo about 10 years ago and at the encore of Ace of Spades and overkill, my brother, who is maybe 50KG soaking wet, looked me in the eye with a gigantic grin on his face and ran into the mosh as Lemmy belted out the opening riff. The mosh was predominantly Hells Angels members and other MC guys from around Sydney.

we made it out alive and it was a blast but holy gently caress did my heart sink when he disappeared between those leather vests. one of my friends accidentally headbutted my other friend and knocked him out stone cold though.

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

thanks for the recs everyone

might get castrated for posting the goslings outside of phiz but whatever
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5TnWENSlaE

/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGXp0GUYOvo

sea of losers fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Feb 10, 2021

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

Darthemed posted:

Are you locking your knees?

Yeah

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

Therein lies the problem.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

Henchman of Santa posted:

I guess the most unsafe I've felt at a show was an Immolation gig where there were several skinheads there (Nocturnal Fear was the local opener and that's their crowd). Some woman that was talking to my friend and I called the parking attendant the N-word. As far as pits it's gotta be Power Trip, though the only time I've been knocked down was during a Convulse set when I wasn't paying attention to the crowd. And I got tippered at a Gojira show once.

Yeah, shows with skinheads are real "fun."

I was at a Danzig/Wrathchild America show back in the 90's that was swarmed with skinheads. As I was launching kids into the pit (per their request), when I got knocked the gently caress out by someone with brass knuckles. One moment I'm standing up, the next I'm looking up at some dude I knew, but hadn't seen in years.

I never did find out who knocked me out. I stayed for the remainder of the show as my eye got blacker and bluer. My eye didn't close shut, so I guess that's something positive.

Nit Wit Dog Shit fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Feb 11, 2021

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

sea of losers posted:

thanks for the recs everyone

might get castrated for posting the goslings outside of phiz but whatever
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5TnWENSlaE

/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGXp0GUYOvo

the goslings ftw

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

Nit Wit Dog poo poo posted:

Therein lies the problem.

okay this might be a controversial opinion but i think doom shows should be a sitting event, like what even is the point of standing if im baked off my rear end.

im just gonna bring one of those badass fold out camping chairs to shows from now on

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I've listened to that 1970 Paris performance of War Pigs about ten times today. It's unbelievable how ahead of the game Black Sabbath were

i love all the comments about how loving hard Bill was drumming

sea of losers posted:

ive been listening to funeralopolis and we hate you and dopethrone by electric wizard a lot. what sounds p much like / as good as those tracks

Monolord scratches that itch for me, and Kyuss and Acid King to a slightly lesser extent. co-signing Sleep, as well.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
I got my finger hosed up pretty bad in a Power Trip pit. Probably had to be pretty funny to see because at some point someone in the circle pit fell, causing a domino effect.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

I have way too many crazy pit stories.. and now realizing I'm actually in my mid-30's and going to be 2 years out of moshing shape by the time concerts come back.. I may just retire now without having any real injuries. Funniest story may be the time my friend and I traveled nearly 3 hours to upstate NY to see Skinless at a venue in a fuckin strip mall for a mini fest with like 7-8 other bands (I remember Outer Heaven, Axeslasher, and Churchburn).. and every pit was just filled with hardcore ninja kids. I stayed out of it until Skinless was mid set and I just pushed my friend and said "gently caress these kids!".. and started a real mosh with 2 other people for about 10 seconds before we all started getting kicked and hammer fisted in the face.

Only time I've ever seen people get mad is when they're standing around the pit edge but don't want to actually participate.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Varg posted:

Only time I've ever seen people get mad is when they're standing around the pit edge but don't want to actually participate.

lol I do this because I'm short and it usually has the best view since people aren't standing in front of you. But I accept the risks.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I am firmly into the "Dad Metal" stage have my fierce stand in the crowd slowly nodding stance down (especially for the DOOM shows). I haven't been in a real pit in ages, but I think the most "HOLY gently caress I AM GOING TO DIE" moment was back in the early 90's on that second Lollapalooza tour. MInistry took the stage. We were close. It got real.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

Eat The Rich posted:

okay this might be a controversial opinion but i think doom shows should be a sitting event, like what even is the point of standing if im baked off my rear end.

im just gonna bring one of those badass fold out camping chairs to shows from now on

gently caress it. Go for it!

hatelull posted:

I am firmly into the "Dad Metal" stage have my fierce stand in the crowd slowly nodding stance down (especially for the DOOM shows).

This is me now. My shoulders and knees are shot from sports, so standing at shows works very well for me now. I've been there, done that, so no regrets.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

hatelull posted:

I am firmly into the "Dad Metal" stage have my fierce stand in the crowd slowly nodding stance down (especially for the DOOM shows). I haven't been in a real pit in ages, but I think the most "HOLY gently caress I AM GOING TO DIE" moment was back in the early 90's on that second Lollapalooza tour. MInistry took the stage. We were close. It got real.

Hey, I remember those! It was about dusk when Ministry took the stage. Everyone was setting fire to garbage and pizza boxes and starting circle pits round the fire. Then, a team of large security guys would attempt to muscle through the crowds to put out the fires. Good times!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

hatelull posted:

I am firmly into the "Dad Metal" stage have my fierce stand in the crowd slowly nodding stance down (especially for the DOOM shows).

Im 6 foot 6 so this has always been my default because if I go front row or in the middle of the crowd im blocking someones view. So I stand in the back and nod along. I actually dont mind it in the slightest, I go to concerts to hear the live sound not see what the band members look like.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Kvlt! posted:

Im 6 foot 6 so this has always been my default because if I go front row or in the middle of the crowd im blocking someones view. So I stand in the back and nod along. I actually dont mind it in the slightest, I go to concerts to hear the live sound not see what the band members look like.

Thank you friend, there are too many people of height who don't have your consideration. Still far better than people who watch the entire set through their phone screen held above their head though.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Do y’all know about Hjortene? Shame they don’t have more stuff out, this is great.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

The Electric Messiah album cover looks like zombie Santa Clause.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

The Vile Creature multi-cam event from last year had Behind a Tall Guy mode as well as a guy taping the whole set on his phone and I'll be damned if I don't miss it all

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Do y’all know about Hjortene? Shame they don’t have more stuff out, this is great.

I do! That album is great. It's one of the first I ever bought on Bandcamp.

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

Ingmar terdman posted:

The Vile Creature multi-cam event from last year had Behind a Tall Guy mode as well as a guy taping the whole set on his phone and I'll be damned if I don't miss it all

That was such a fun show. Each cam is hosted right here: https://vimeo.com/user121062316

E: tall guy cam is missing but it's just a tall guy so get a tall friend to stand in front of your monitor or something idfk

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001
Backside of that Zilla record

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Zoben posted:

Backside of that Zilla record

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woVLK0FRnz8