Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

DariusLikewise posted:

Did you guys have to pay install fees for fibre with Bell/Telus? There's a fibre provider out in Western Manitoba but the install is about $600(lower if you have a bunch of neighbours with it too) and it's only 100/100 for $139.95/month.

I didn't pay any install fees with Bell in Toronto

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Not that I recall with Telus either, or if there was it was either small or waived.

I have FTTH so it was literally sticking out of the ground next to my house when I took possession of it as a new build, BUT, the opposite corner from my utility room. The tech did a really good job as he tucked it/protected it really along the outside of the house to route it inside and did a good and neat job with the cords/cables... nice and tidy on my utility panel where he mounted all the equipment. It took him at least a couple hours IIRC.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

slidebite posted:

The tech did a really good job as he tucked it/protected it really along the outside of the house to route it inside and did a good and neat job with the cords/cables... nice and tidy on my utility panel where he mounted all the equipment. It took him at least a couple hours IIRC.

Willing to bet money this guy was fired within a week.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

shadow puppet of a posted:

Willing to bet money this guy was fired within a week.

At the ISP I used to work for the quality of home technician work varied a ton depending on if they were an in-house employee or an outside contractor, and the difference was even more stark between install techs and service techs. Generally service techs doing installs in their free time never want to have to go back to a house so they take their time to make sure everything's done right, whereas installers don't give a poo poo when they're paid per install. If there's any issues it becomes the service tech's problem after 30 days, not theirs.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

slidebite posted:

You know, I like to poo poo on Telus as much as the next guy, but I have to admit their FTTH is pretty rock solid. Did a test for the first time in months and my 750/750 plan is giving me this.

e: 780 up

My fast.com meter varies wildly from 400Mbps to 700Mbps depending on the day and hour. But since the :filez: come at a steady 90+ MB/s ... that's all that matters. The netflix speed is quite irrelevant, in my opinion. I'm on Bell's FTTH.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I paid for my Bell FTTH install but seeing how they had to actually run the cable along poles across the street into my house I was pretty fine with it.

I’m actually mulling over having them come back and relocate it since I want to move my entire network stack around and I honestly think it would be easier to have them punch through to my basement than it would be to run more cable from my ONT to the router’s new intended position inside the house.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
My bell fibre cost $60 to install.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Wow I was looking into Eastlink as an alternative to Bell here on the east coast since they are the only other provider that offers 1gb speeds. They don't mention upload rates anywhere on their site so I had to connect to their online chat to find out what it was. Turns out they only offer 10mbps upload for all of their plans which seems pretty abysmal to me.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Squibbles posted:

Wow I was looking into Eastlink as an alternative to Bell here on the east coast since they are the only other provider that offers 1gb speeds. They don't mention upload rates anywhere on their site so I had to connect to their online chat to find out what it was. Turns out they only offer 10mbps upload for all of their plans which seems pretty abysmal to me.

unless something's changed since I switched to a reseller they also have a pretty low bandwidth cap! They also had literally no way to see what your usage was back when I was with them so it would only ever be a surprise!

If you're on bell fibre you've got your best option already

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

egg tats posted:

unless something's changed since I switched to a reseller they also have a pretty low bandwidth cap! They also had literally no way to see what your usage was back when I was with them so it would only ever be a surprise!

If you're on bell fibre you've got your best option already

Eastlink lists all of their plans in my area as unlimited now. No idea when that would have changed since we haven't lived out here all that long.

I can't find it on google now but I know that downloading requires a certain amount of upload bandwidth. I would have thought that downloading at 1000mbps would use close to if not more than 10mbps up. I guess it must be pretty close? Sucks for anybody on a video call or something if another person in the house starts downloading a steam game or something.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I hate that I'm stuck with 100/10 with eastlink with Fibre oh so close but I honestly haven't had all that much trouble with them. In fact we switched to City Wide who is a somewhat sketchy/no frills reseller of their services and also have had little issue. Still want my half gigabit though

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

codo27 posted:

I hate that I'm stuck with 100/10 with eastlink with Fibre oh so close but I honestly haven't had all that much trouble with them. In fact we switched to City Wide who is a somewhat sketchy/no frills reseller of their services and also have had little issue. Still want my half gigabit though

I wouldn't call citywide sketchy, they're just cheap as gently caress and only have like 2 people working the phones so getting hold of them takes like an hour

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh

Squibbles posted:

Eastlink lists all of their plans in my area as unlimited now. No idea when that would have changed since we haven't lived out here all that long.

I can't find it on google now but I know that downloading requires a certain amount of upload bandwidth. I would have thought that downloading at 1000mbps would use close to if not more than 10mbps up. I guess it must be pretty close? Sucks for anybody on a video call or something if another person in the house starts downloading a steam game or something.

Bell Aliant is Bell, but I've found them more competent and easy to deal with than Eastlink (I have Bell FTTH but Eastlink mobile). I think support is all based in the Maritimes as well - they're not as horrible as Bell in the rest of the country.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

mik posted:

Bell Aliant is Bell, but I've found them more competent and easy to deal with than Eastlink (I have Bell FTTH but Eastlink mobile). I think support is all based in the Maritimes as well - they're not as horrible as Bell in the rest of the country.

That's good to hear. We were originally going to go with Bell when we moved here last year but the installer didn't show up on the day they were scheduled to, and when we called support they said they couldn't send anyone for another few weeks. I was shocked there was no way to put a priority order in or something.

So we called Eastlink to set up an appointment but they gave us a date over a month away.

We ended up going with Purple Cow for a while until I could get Bell to come in and install FTTH. Purple Cow ended up continuing to charge us for 3+ months after we cancelled with them. At least they refunded it after complaining to them multiple months in a row as they continued to charge us.

Also, all this was at the beginning of the pandemic so I assume the experiences may be atypical all around. Though a friend of mine who moved out here a few years ago said his experience with Eastlink was the same. He didn't go with them because their install dates were ridiculous. Like 6 weeks away from when he placed the order.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

We had Fibreop when it was relatively new, still like 50mbps speeds. Rogers came out with their "hybrid fibre" and it was significantly cheaper and we were students so I decided to forego the upload speed increase and switch. What a load of horse poo poo. Just full on throttling out of the gate, forget data caps. I contacted customer support and they sent me some copy paste poo poo on how rogers is proven to be the fastest ISP blah blah blah bling bling bling blah. Fuckers. Cut it off after like 6 weeks and went back to Bell. Finally got the first and only bill, $2000. The bulk was for the equipment I hadn't returned, because they had made no effort to tell me how, where or when. Brought it back to the store, then they still wanted like $430 from us for two months of a package that was supposed to be $89.99. They never did get 5 cents from me.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Does Bell give you the PPPOE credentials when you get fiber? I want to bypass the Homehub but I'm not sure if I have to bribe the tech or something.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

My tech didn’t volunteer them but had no problem giving them out when I asked. I could have sworn they were also on some printout or receipt he gave me but I could be wrong. Pretty sure I also remember seeing them in the online portal somewhere.

But the answer is yes, they will give you the creds.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

They give it out, but the challenge is if you use Fibe TV service, which runs on a vlan (iirc 35), and there's some weird Wifi stuff for the TV receiver.

Go with below, it's correct, my details were wrong.

unknown fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Feb 12, 2021

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

unknown posted:

They give it out, but the challenge is if you use Fibe TV service, which runs on a vlan (iirc 35), and there's some weird Wifi stuff for the TV receiver.

Regular internet service uses a VLAN on the PPPoE interface (35) if you completely replace the HomeHub. There's also a VLAN setup required for FibeTV, but I'm not familiar with it as I don't have the service. There are a number of guides for setup online and as long as you have a router that can do VLANs on the WAN interface you're fine.

They definitely will give you the credentials if you ask for them.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Feb 11, 2021

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

unknown posted:

Thanks, I'll be skipping the TV. Glad they give the credentials, I plan to pop that SFP modules into a Ubiquiti switch or media converter and put the Homehub in the bottom of a closet (or well).

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Good plan. There are setup guides specifically for Ubiquiti gear, but it's pretty straightforward to do.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I have an old unreturned FibeTV remote and I’m in constant fear that a HomeHub will regrow itself from that nucleus.

Make sure it’s a very deep well.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Last time I used Bell like a decade ago I spent months arguing on the phone about them not receiving the returned DSL modem. I managed to avoid any actual charges and credit dings.

Then a few years later when I moved I found it in a closet.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

They deserved it

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I'm on fibre so I am not personally interested, but got an email from Starlink saying it's now available in my coverage area (far southern Alberta). I forwarded to a friend of mine who lives about 30 min outside of Calgary and gets abysmal internet, I think he usually uses his cell as a hotspot and he gets 3G half the time. Makes zoom calls fun.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Ad copy that says "Your internet speeds could vary by 300% or just fail completely, it might get better". Definitely promising, they should give it a shot.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

If I was out in the sticks, as much as I am not a fan of starlink as is, hell yeah I'd almost certainly try it.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Well you can't really lose beyond whatever the deposit and monthly charge is, right? They're not doing contracts for "beta" service are they?

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
You can only lose $1000 and $150 a month for somewhere between 0-100Mb/s and up to 13 drops per day! Classic! Throw your money at the boss it’s a beta gently caress you, eat poo poo, complaints? We’re launching more sats to solve your problem by 2023 get hosed.

Beta beta beta beta

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

The Starlink beta is for people whose internet situations are so poo poo that even that is a marked upgrade in service, and for people who want to brag that they have Starlink.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

From what I've seen the people around here who have it are paying maybe $20 more and going from sub megabit speeds to 50+ with ~150ms latency, so I certainly see the appeal. From what I understand though it's more a failure of our regulatory framework that makes Starlink so appealing more than anything. Can the folks here who run rural ISPs or otherwise have more knowledge with it explain what would be needed on the political/regulatory/technological side to be able to better service remote areas terrestrially?

I've got friends who work way up north with MB Hydro that are able to stay connected just fine, so there's a fiber backbone going all the way up to at least Gillam. I'm guessing there just aren't enough incentives in place to also build out or lease connection time to the communities along the way?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Nitr0 posted:

The government should focus on fixing our archaic licensing fees and allocating more spectrum for smaller isps that work within the communities.

There is no reason all this can’t be done on earth, with 100Mb/s connections to everyone, other than the government saying no and allocating more unused spectrum blocks to the big 3.

The rest of this post is a good start for that, but Nitr0's said a lot ITT on that exact topic.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Nitro's posts are where I'm getting the bulk of my info but additional sources that go into finer details would be appreciated, if only to be more educated when discussing/arguing why Starlink isn't the be all end all solution for rural internet access. All of my work experience has been with DOCSIS so I'm not as well versed on the WISP side of things. I do think the tech is fascinating and would like to read more about it.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Even I was tempted to go for that but "thankfully" had Bell. Our friends who just built too and only live 5 mins away have no land connections and rely on satellite for now. It's loving stupid. Their parents are right behind them and while I don't know if they have proper internet that house has been there for at least 20 years. I don't consider it rural either. Talking like, 20 mins from Winnipeg and beside Selkirk.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Are any additional licenses needed for higher frequency ISM bands like 24 or 60 GHz? If you have line of sight you could always be a bro and set up a radio mast with an Airfiber antenna or something, but that's probably the radio nerd in me doing some wishful thinking.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
From the econ/politics/regulatory side I'm sure that the government likes the revenue they get from spectrum auctions and ISED (fka Industry Canada) presumably thinks that improving cell service /Keeping Up With The Gs is a better use of that spectrum than fixed wireless, but from a technical standpoint I've also never been clear how much overlap there really is between "spectrum that the Big 3 want for their cellular service or their OWN WISPs" and "spectrum that could be allocated in the way Nitr0 proposes".

Obviously this is also an issue for Starlink (I'm a software nerd not a radio nerd but surely it must be even more of an issue for Starlink) and very little of the coverage that I've seen has touched on how ISED intends to handle their spectrum needs - assuming for the moment that Elon Musk and his cult won't just shout down any attempts to apply puny state regulation to them, like Uber's entry into cities scaled up an order of magnitude.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

gently caress bell right off the face of the earth
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/bell-ceo-cottage-pemichangan-lake-1.5925882

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

One of the reasons my entire team took the buyout and walked was because they started wanting us to act at frontline tech support for the board of directors, C-levels and their friends and family with unlimited support scope. We're noticing that there's a potentially city-spanning issue that we need to get ahead of to figure out who hosed up where and cut a fiber line, but unfortunately your shift partner is now out of commission because an executive called in complaining about the wifi on his yacht. Frontline support is for poors so let's waste the time of the operations teams because I make too much money to be arsed with that (due to cutting starting pay and causing support levels to slide, but let's ignore that little tidbit).

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Coxswain Balls posted:

Nitro's posts are where I'm getting the bulk of my info but additional sources that go into finer details would be appreciated, if only to be more educated when discussing/arguing why Starlink isn't the be all end all solution for rural internet access. All of my work experience has been with DOCSIS so I'm not as well versed on the WISP side of things. I do think the tech is fascinating and would like to read more about it.

Spectrum access is the single biggest problem with delivering rural internet services.

I'll give you a quick example.

Recently because of COVID the FCC proposed opening up 45MHz of spectrum in the 5.9GHz band (5850 - 5895MHz) on a temporary basis for providers who applied. This 45MHz of spectrum has been allocated for the last 15 years to automakers for car to car communications. This has not been used at all. Canada (as we normally do) followed the FCC's lead and allowed Canadian corporations to also apply for a temporary grant to use this frequency.

This small gesture personally has allowed us to deliver an extra 1Gb/s of services on average every day in our various communities without changing any of our existing equipment on towers. In 40MHz of spectrum we have been able to offer approx 300Mb/s per access point for customers.

Now imagine if we had access to 500MHz of 6GHz spectrum. Radio manufacturers will be able to deliver services upwards of 1Gb/s to users within a 20-30km range of a tower. This is something that the FCC is also proposing with their CBRS platform. Essentially you make a request to a database for a chunk of spectrum, and the government has the ability to pull that spectrum out from you if required for any other purpose, but in these rural based communities where there is no interference it is a game changer because otherwise spectrum is wasted and goes unused.

ISED hasn't made any headway on a system like this but because we follow the FCC so closely with regards to wireless regulation, I have to imagine if the USA does it, Canada will do it at some point as well.

Starlink has been able to utilize spectrum for free due to satellite agreements within North America.

Meanwhile back in Canada, we are paying upwards of $5000 a year for 40MHz of spectrum for Point to Point links, and have no access to PtMP spectrum apart from the 3.65 - 3.70GHz which they call the Wireless Broadband Services band (WBS). You apply for a license to use this spectrum and you must enter your sites into the ISED database, but there is no interference protection and you must share with anyone else who also requests access. This has been nice in Canada because in our rural areas we've been able to leverage this and work with other providers to share, but it's just not enough spectrum. We need hundreds of MHz to actually make a difference in rural broadband.

Spectrum is so incredibly valuable and creating a sharing system to utilize unused spectrum (even if it's allocated to the big 3) is massive and needs to be implemented immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Imagine my disappointment that my postal code came up positive in Beanfield only for the sales lady to say that was incorrect.