Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

queeb posted:

i just tossed a portal to the forest near the water, set up chests there, and then fill those chests and boat it back

This is a good idea!

I did just make a cheap little pathway to at least the edge of the forest to make the carting easier and marked it on my map so I know where to pick it up and find my way home if I get turned around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thark
Mar 3, 2008

bork

explosivo posted:

Oh my god this cart is a literal game changer. Kind of a pain in the rear end to weave around trees on a return trip when it's full and slow as hell but this is so much better than making back and forth runs all the time for resources.

Also the cart is definitely harder to pull when fully loaded. Trying to drag it uphill with 2000 weight units on ore was ... a struggle.

The fact that it's another 30 or whatever inventory slots is pretty sweet. Meanwhile the karve has 4 which is pretty piddly.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Got some copper deposits solo, but things feel like they're slowing down enough that I'll probably stop there solo, and then see if either multiple friends pick it up or some small goon dedicated servers start popping up. Seems like a game best suited to having a dedicated for a handful of people to do small poo poo separately/small groups and then get the band together for stuff like bosses.

Also when making my way to something with the cart, leveling out a path in front of me helped a good bit on the return trip.

If I decide to keep trucking along solo I'll probably cave and do the second world "trick" to portaling back goods eventually.

Evrart Claire fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Feb 11, 2021

Behotti
Apr 30, 2008
Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

I'm trying to avoid diving in to this game on youtube and ruining all the discovery, but I need to know what the combat is like for this as I am thinking of convincing my wife to get this with me. Posts up above say it's not super hard, so that's good, but are there any mainstream games that it closely compares to? She's decent at games but will not really enjoy super intricate mechanics.

The combat isn't really that difficult. The hardest part is managing stamina, and knowing when you're out matched. Aside from that, sometimes I feel like when using a spear, the hit detection doesn't align with what I think it should, for example often times I have to aim higher than what I think I should. I am bad at games and I manage alright.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Anyone just hop onto a public server yet? Thinking about going to a kr or other less than english server so I can live out my 13th Warrior fantasy.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

NuckmasterJ posted:

Have any of you goons made highways for carts yet? I've been trying to progress into Bronze but its such a slog as a solo player, trying to move copper and tin, then finding Pine trees and going a bit ham on them too. I was trying to build a mini highway into the Dark Forest with the Hoe's pathing tool but its pretty rough.

Do you goons just auto run back and fourth with a few pickaxes for a few hours to get enough bronze to beefcake it up?

I just dragged it across, but I had scouted out some copper first while I was looking for dungeons. Meant I had a fairly well mapped path of where I wanted to go. Think I got all the copper I wanted in two/three trips.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
I cannot stress this enough but ROADS.

The hoe has a pathmaking and area flattening tool. Use it to make roads. If you're going to run to an area more than once (copper mining) build a road. Do it the one time and every successive time will be easier and faster. Also you can use them to take carts with you for things like copper mining. Also roads (especially through the forest) look cool as hell. Take it upon yourself to build a road to the place you're mining and a little hut there with some beds/chests/workshop/forge. Your friends will thank you.

NuckmasterJ posted:

Have any of you goons made highways for carts yet? I've been trying to progress into Bronze but its such a slog as a solo player, trying to move copper and tin, then finding Pine trees and going a bit ham on them too. I was trying to build a mini highway into the Dark Forest with the Hoe's pathing tool but its pretty rough.

Do you goons just auto run back and fourth with a few pickaxes for a few hours to get enough bronze to beefcake it up?

The first boat upgrade has a storage chest in it. Assuming that the black forest borders the water you could just do that. I'm playing with friends on a rented server, so infrastructure is a huge benefit for everyone, but if you're solo then maybe the boat is a better option.

Spanish Matlock fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Feb 11, 2021

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Is there any matchmaking in this or dedicated join able servers? It doesn't sound like I'd love solo but none of my friends are getting the game.

Warrior Princess
Sep 29, 2014

What?

OgNar posted:

The Sea Serpent is the one thing that blocks single player games from progressing.
Most of your later ore MUST be transported over water (most likely).
And not until the 3rd tier of boat can you possibly go fast enough and thats still a random chance.

You know you can just press e to stop driving the boat and then shoot at it with a bow, right? I have a basic fine wood bow and flint arrows, and it’s dead or flees before the boat gets down to 75-80% hp.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

xzzy posted:

I'm trying to avoid diving in to this game on youtube and ruining all the discovery, but I need to know what the combat is like for this as I am thinking of convincing my wife to get this with me. Posts up above say it's not super hard, so that's good, but are there any mainstream games that it closely compares to? She's decent at games but will not really enjoy super intricate mechanics.

Honestly combat feels like BOTW with more forgiving parry timing. Bows work a little differently but they’re easy to figure out.

Btw everyone in the previous Survival thread saying bows suck until the 2nd tier is wrong - you can absolutely wreck poo poo just fine with the first bow. The biggest thing is to use better arrows. Flint arrows and a starter bow can get you up to the second boss pretty easy as long as you take a little time to learn to aim. 2nd tier bow definitely shoots better but the starter puts in work.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I've been farming trolls with the first bow, so it's definitely not bad. Just bump it up a couple of levels on the workbench.

Warrior Princess
Sep 29, 2014

What?

idiotsavant posted:

Honestly combat feels like BOTW with more forgiving parry timing. Bows work a little differently but they’re easy to figure out.

Btw everyone in the previous Survival thread saying bows suck until the 2nd tier is wrong - you can absolutely wreck poo poo just fine with the first bow. The biggest thing is to use better arrows. Flint arrows and a starter bow can get you up to the second boss pretty easy as long as you take a little time to learn to aim. 2nd tier bow definitely shoots better but the starter puts in work.

For sure, the first bow is serviceable, but consider that all you have to do is chop some beech trees down in the vicinity of a birch tree then spend maybe 5 minutes body slamming logs into the birch to get a bow that’s better in every way.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I have no idea what to even look for in a server. The off-sites that I usually use for Rust are sparse for a game that released a week ago. When I look in-client I have an interface that matches the ps1 era graphics.

Thinking about just jumping into "Yeetinheim"

I haven't clicked on anything, but the key icon implies that all of these servers are password protected.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

KirbyKhan posted:

I have no idea what to even look for in a server. The off-sites that I usually use for Rust are sparse for a game that released a week ago. When I look in-client I have an interface that matches the ps1 era graphics.

Thinking about just jumping into "Yeetinheim"

I haven't clicked on anything, but the key icon implies that all of these servers are password protected.

I don't know if you can unpassword a server. I think there's some kind of problem with it in the game. On the other hand, this very much isn't Rust so these aren't meant to be 40 person servers. There's no way to protect your stuff until 2.5 biomes in or so, so they're not really public server friendly.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

doing some landscaping

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Spanish Matlock posted:

I don't know if you can unpassword a server. I think there's some kind of problem with it in the game. On the other hand, this very much isn't Rust so these aren't meant to be 40 person servers. There's no way to protect your stuff until 2.5 biomes in or so, so they're not really public server friendly.

servers also can't really handle like six people being in the same spot, so.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

queeb posted:

doing some landscaping

HOW

Skinny Bins
Jul 30, 2006

Eat lead, Olympic targets!
I've started up a dedicated server for newer players.

Most people I know are so much further in the game, or don't have room on their servers for new guys, so I figured I'd start one for myself.

It's brand new, and I'm going to have a soft rule that it's only going to be open to players who have (at most) beat the first boss. This also means that you should limit how much stuff you bring in with your character (no high level items.)

Please message me here on the forums, or find me on Steam (Skinny Bins) and mention this post to get access.

Hope to see some of you there.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Nice, I was just starting to wonder how I was supposed to get enough honey to make some of these potion bases, when I get a Queen Bee drop from a random beehive.
Time to get to work setting up a colony.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Broken Cog posted:

Time to get to work setting up a colony.

when you find hives out in the wild be sure to break whatever it is they're attached to, not the hive itself
can't speak for 100% certainty, but I've gotten over a dozen queens by doing that, and the few times I've directly broken a hive open I've only gotten honey

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Solefald posted:

i highly recommend listening to Wardruna while playing because it's very very fitting and you don't have to listen to the trash in game music.

I'm loving this game but my partner keeps being a big grump because I want to establish a super safe settlement while he wants to traverse across the world in search for copper ore, oh nooo

The in-game music is very chill and good.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

queeb posted:

i just tossed a portal to the forest near the water, set up chests there, and then fill those chests and boat it back

I made a small outpost with a portal and all the stuff to smelt in a small meadows area right next to the black forest. This way I don't have to transport most of the ore, but I still have a river nearby that I can get a boat when I need to.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Warrior Princess posted:

You know you can just press e to stop driving the boat and then shoot at it with a bow, right? I have a basic fine wood bow and flint arrows, and it’s dead or flees before the boat gets down to 75-80% hp.

Detaching from a boat while its still moving is so dangerous in this game.
The slightest lag and I have seen others just flying off the boat because they werent hanging onto the mast or sitting.
I dont mind attacking from a boat in Multi when someone can pick you up, but taking that chance in solo is just gambling.

Also while the server allows up to 10 people, any more than 5 or so in an area doing things seems to lag the hell out of it.
Certainly during boss fights.
And this is on a paid server.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Feb 11, 2021

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Pigbottom posted:

The in-game music is very chill and good.

idk it kinda bothers me, like there's certain points in the music that really bothers my auditory sensitivity.
I've been really enjoying it with no music at all all day today, it's very immersive.

3 of us UK goons play together but we don't have a constant server as we just want to adventure together when we have time, so far we've only really progressed to the bronze age and I've finally convinced my partner to focus on our base a little bit more so we can actually make decent armour and weapons and then hopefully move further on.

Solefald fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Feb 11, 2021

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Going in blind to this but it already seems like a game I'll love. I found a shack, fixed it up and nearly destroyed it when cutting down trees. Amazing!

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I have sent my friend request. But now a website is telling me that two germans are playing this game and that their password is in their server title. The spooky link steam bootstrapper didn't work. Searching for the game in the in game client isn't working. There are 4844 servers and I don't know how to join a single one.

This is fascinating

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
My first tour

Server Name: Everyone Welcome password Toohott

I logged on and found the spawn point surrounded by 3 deerbosses. A combat challange. I know not if the server owners will congradulate you or cut you down if you are able to defeat their trial. But for someone looking for glory this is viking as gently caress.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Just know that on a public server, anyone can just go in and steal all your ores once you get to that stage.
If they know where your hut is, of course

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back

Please don't doxx where I live

Today we built a raft and went sailing. We did not realise that you can speed up the raft by tapping W and so we slowly crawled our way outwards, until the biome changed to 'OCEAN' and the waves started to kick. We immediately slowly turned back around, frightened.

Behotti
Apr 30, 2008
Fun Shoe
I've had issue with the standard door, getting in and out when building shacks/long houses/abominations. I've switched to using gates, big and stronk. Is this me just being a dumdum or has anyone else had issues? I've tried with a floor on either side of the door way and I just seem to get stuck if I have anything in my hand at worst and at best nothing in my hands I just have to keep ramming my stupid face into the door frame to get in.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Behotti posted:

I've had issue with the standard door, getting in and out when building shacks/long houses/abominations. I've switched to using gates, big and stronk. Is this me just being a dumdum or has anyone else had issues? I've tried with a floor on either side of the door way and I just seem to get stuck if I have anything in my hand at worst and at best nothing in my hands I just have to keep ramming my stupid face into the door frame to get in.

i have noticed that stairs to doors dont always align properly.
You notice it mostly if you are overloaded trying to move items around and cant get in your own door because of a 1/2in lip.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Well, killed the first boss while wearing nothing but the starter tunic and using a little knife.

Game easy.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Pop up website has this server where the dude wrote words in the description box.

https://www.trackyserver.com/server/my-arms-are-made-of-clay-676371

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
fought the first boss and a tree it smashed down fell on it and killed it for me

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Got me and a friend some ocean stuff tonight. Spent a couple hours just sailing around, exploring, killing "the things" and now we have extra good meat and shields.

Turns out he actually knows a couple of sea shanties too, so our discord server listened for a couple of songs before telling us to knock it off because we can't sing.

Understandable, tbh. I definitely can't.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Well, the second boss was definitely a fair bit trickier than the first one, at least solo.

Glad I stocked up on arrows before I went.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Solefald posted:

idk it kinda bothers me, like there's certain points in the music that really bothers my auditory sensitivity.
I've been really enjoying it with no music at all all day today, it's very immersive.

3 of us UK goons play together but we don't have a constant server as we just want to adventure together when we have time, so far we've only really progressed to the bronze age and I've finally convinced my partner to focus on our base a little bit more so we can actually make decent armour and weapons and then hopefully move further on.

we need endless copper and trollskin and i will not budge on this

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

It's v. important it is to maintain a base with comfort items. They aren't just cosmetic: they actually increase how long you remain rested. Our main room is up to Comfort 17, which keeps us rested for 24 minutes at a time.

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

we need endless copper and trollskin and i will not budge on this

I agree but I am gonna stay at home and make our fortress cosy and safe ok so quit whining

also roads, it is very very important that I make all those roads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Fart Car '97 posted:

It's v. important it is to maintain a base with comfort items. They aren't just cosmetic: they actually increase how long you remain rested. Our main room is up to Comfort 17, which keeps us rested for 24 minutes at a time.

Can you elaborate on how to raise this? Mine seems to be capped at 5