Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

repiv posted:

Halcyon 6 is free on EGS this week

I will NEVER stop getting excited about downloading free space games and then never playing them. NEVER.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Nice! I meant to try this back when my GamePass subscription was still active, but didn't have the time.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Quill posted:

Nice! I meant to try this back when my GamePass subscription was still active, but didn't have the time.
I got it from GameFly for like $20 a while back and I was waaaaaaay disappointed, so free might be the best price. I found it extremely boring and uninspired. I got annoyed that after every 5-minute firefight I spent the next 10-15 minutes scouring the base for hidden boxes of money that weren't easy to spot. Really needed some kind of radar feature to just ID all the chests immediately.

Aceofblue
Feb 26, 2009

timp posted:

I will NEVER stop getting excited about downloading free space games and then never playing them. NEVER.

Lol same. I have a problem. I love getting free games and just... never touching them again ever. Hitting that download button on a free game is such a nice tiny dopamine hit.

Edit: Oh hey though I watched the trailer for Halcyon6 after I downloaded it and it actually looks pretty fun. I'm a sucker for pixel art style games.

Aceofblue fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Feb 11, 2021

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie

Aceofblue posted:

Lol same. I have a problem. I love getting free games and just... never touching them again ever. Hitting that download button on a free game is such a nice tiny dopamine hit.

Edit: Oh hey though I watched the trailer for Halcyon6 after I downloaded it and it actually looks pretty fun. I'm a sucker for pixel art style games.

I bought Halcyon 6 on Steam a while ago and didn't regret it. It can be a liiiittle repetitive, but there's fun to be had. If the premise piques your interest and the price is free, I'd say it's worth your time to check it out.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I played waaaaay more games via the Bigfish game launcher than via Epic. Don't know what conclusions to draw from that (if any)

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Garfield Kart and Syberia free at IndieGala...

somebodyelse
Jul 20, 2013
A friend got Garfield Kart last year for a laugh and frankly it's the most sobering game to ever exist. It's so unbelievably bland and sterile feeling, it's a wonder to behold honestly.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

A good poster posted:

I opened up the Uplay client to check if I'd gotten this for free before, and not only was it there, but Assassin's Creed 2 got in there at some point along with 3, Black Flag, and Unity. I remember getting 3 for free and thinking I could tell people that the worst game was my introduction to the series, and I also remember they gave away Unity when Notre Dame caught fire. I'm a little hazy on when they gave away Black Flag, but seeing 2 in there was a complete surprise to me.

2 and Black Flag are probably the best of that generation of AssCreed games, so if you're bored I recommend checking them out.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Stickman posted:

Garfield Kart and Syberia free at IndieGala...

Is Gala stuff drmfree?

Zushio
May 8, 2008

Skwirl posted:

2 and Black Flag are probably the best of that generation of AssCreed games, so if you're bored I recommend checking them out.

As a follow-up, 3 sucks mostly. I have played every AC game to date except Valhalla and 3 the only one I can't stand.

It has some decent moments, and I like a few characters, but overall the weakest game for sure.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Rinkles posted:

another non-purchase vindicated

Same

somebodyelse posted:

A friend got Garfield Kart last year for a laugh and frankly it's the most sobering game to ever exist. It's so unbelievably bland and sterile feeling, it's a wonder to behold honestly.

Just like the comic strip, then

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Zushio posted:

As a follow-up, 3 sucks mostly. I have played every AC game to date except Valhalla and 3 the only one I can't stand.

It has some decent moments, and I like a few characters, but overall the weakest game for sure.

Yeah, AC3 is the worst by some distance. Unity was pretty panned when it released too, but they ended up fixing most of the bugs and it's a pretty respectable entry these days. The "Ubisoft map filled with pointless collectibles" is probably at the nadir in Unity, but Forrest Gumping through the French Revolution is really funny (and the time travel sequences are quite cool).

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

There are some really good moments in AC3, esp the homestead stuff.
I liked the AC formula enough at the time to not be bothered by a lot of the flaws but that is far from a good game.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Yeah, the Homestead stuff makes up 90% of the good moments for me. I think the prologue/introduction also lands really well. Some other bits here and there, and the portrayal of the historical characters is interesting at times.

Honestly the biggest issue for me is how flat and boring the game world is. It turns out tall, interesting buildings to climb were pretty loving rare in Revolutionary America. Or put another way, when one of you "High Points" is a moderately sized hill you know something is off. The forest was fun to run around in for awhile but gets stale and the ship combat was genuinely fun if extremely limited and largely optional.

Like the above poster said its still the AC formula and at the time I was (am) still in to that enough to enjoy it even with all the flaws. I did 100% complete it after all. But with 8 games since it's hard to reccomend. I also think Unity is pretty good, but the story isn't my favorite. And those riddle collectibles that require knowledge of both French History and Architecture can gently caress right off. I don't think I've ever opened a guide faster lmao.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Zushio posted:

riddle collectibles that require knowledge of both French History and Architecture

Ah, right up my street

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

JustJeff88 posted:

Oof, I missed that one. AssCreed is such a ludicrous series that playing all of them is impossible

I'll get there...someday.....

I'm currently in the middle of Odyssey because I needed Kassandra in my life, but I'm not lying when I say part of the reason I decided to buy ACO was to get my hands on a working copy of AC3 + the PSP spinoff.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Feb 12, 2021

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

webmeister posted:

Yeah, AC3 is the worst by some distance.
Nope. Liberation. No contest. It's ugly, it's pointless, it's dull, none of the gameplay or story ideas go anywhere.

John Murdoch posted:

I'm not lying when I say part of the reason I decided to buy ACO was to get my hands on a working copy of AC3 + the PSP spinoff.
Condolences in advance.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Xander77 posted:

Nope. Liberation. No contest. It's ugly, it's pointless, it's dull, none of the gameplay or story ideas go anywhere.

Condolences in advance.

Isnt liberation a vita game? Most people don’t really count the side stuff because most people never played them or even owned something that could.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Liberation was supposed to be a Vita exclusive, but when the Vita tanked they ported it to console and PC. When viewed through that lens, it’s actually not a bad game for its era and kinda cool that they came close to a console quality experience on a hand held. The game itself is not a completely terrible rear end Creed game but is glitchy and buggy at times. The story is crap though, very badly done, but that’s par for the course since the Ezio games...

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Adventures of Chris is the next title on Prime Gaming:

https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256801392/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1602177518

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Cartoon Man posted:

Liberation was supposed to be a Vita exclusive, but when the Vita tanked they ported it to console and PC. When viewed through that lens, it’s actually not a bad game for its era and kinda cool that they came close to a console quality experience on a hand held. The game itself is not a completely terrible rear end Creed game but is glitchy and buggy at times. The story is crap though, very badly done, but that’s par for the course since the Ezio games...

liberation also has the different outfits as code switching concept which is one of the better ideas across the series imo

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Cartoon Man posted:

Liberation was supposed to be a Vita exclusive, but when the Vita tanked they ported it to console and PC.

The port was two years after the fact, it wasn't due to the Vita's performance as such.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

FREEGAME330060 for a free game on Big Fish Games

There's also a V-Day promotion, but sadly I can't seem to finagle things to get two free games at once.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

If you're looking at Big Fish games, I like the Gamehouse games such as Heart's Medicine and Primrose Lake. They're kind of like a Hallmark movie or a soap opera but I like them somehow? If you like jigsaw puzzles Glass Masquerade is my favorite. Very relaxing game.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

If you're looking at Big Fish games, I like the Gamehouse games such as Heart's Medicine and Primrose Lake. They're kind of like a Hallmark movie or a soap opera but I like them somehow?
I'm weirdly fascinated by them as well. Thanks for letting me know about Primrose lake - that's a "regular" (i.e, not collector's edition) game, so I can get for... even more free.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

https://freebies.indiegala.com/agatha-christie-the-abc-murders

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1362431685955002368?s=20

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Dont forget to buy your Rage Coins while you are there.
The Drift game looks like it may be fun for a bit.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The drift game is fun for a bit, but it's something you'll have to put time into to get good.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

The Academy: The First Riddle is the next title on Prime Gaming:

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256790841/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1593090469

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Another Big Fish free game code: FREEGAME231450 [Reddit threads]

Syberia 2 is now free at Indiegala.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

thanks for this!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1364214799777865730?s=20

astral
Apr 26, 2004

quote:

PlayStation's #PlayAtHome initiative is back

Ratchet & Clank PS4 to be available for free from March 1 to March 31

"Once you redeem the game, it will be yours to keep."

More to come in the future

https://blog.playstation.com/2021/0...-1/#sf243317060

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

But do you need to give them an email?

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I think you need an account, but you don't need an online subscription.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
PS4's aren't free. :colbert: Nice try, Sony.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Len posted:

But do you need to give them an email?

Sony's a big company, I think they already have an e-mail. Like sony@sony.fi or something IDK BingTM it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Another Big Fish Game code: FREEGAME835324 [Reddit thread]

Witch's Pranks: Frog's Fortune free on IndieGala. Weird Looking HOG with decent reviews and standard HOG naming structure?