Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

My Lovely Horse posted:

Hippies is a decent one, it only ran for one series and it's nothing too special but it's by Arthur Mathews, it's got Simon Pegg in an early role (pre-Spaced, even, if barely), it's got Sally Phillips and Darren Boyd and Julian Rhind-Tutt (playing the character he always plays), Peter Serafinowicz is in it, and it's got its fair share of very quotable moments.

I watched Hippies when it was originally on and found it really poo poo. I was disappointed because I absolutely LOVED Simon Pegg at that point (because of Big Train) and came away shocked at how bad it was. I remember my Dad confusedly asking me why I was watching it after the third poo poo episode in a row.
That said I still think of Julian Rhind Tutt as "Alex".

Deformed Church posted:

This Country definitely belongs on the list. I think Ghosts is fun too.

Somehow I forgot both of these! I agree.
I'd put Yonderland on the list too although I know barely anyone saw it.

I was going to be a background extra in it but I just couldn't get to where it was, it clearly wasn't a place they expected you to get to without a car. Which sucks.

Taear fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Feb 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
No Heroics was great, if short. Along that theme, Misfits was also good (maybe the last season was a bit poo poo?)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Mickolution posted:

Couldn't agree more about it being quotable, too. There are a few lines that still pop into my head (big bag of drugs and height of fashion, off the top of my head).
"I can't stop thinking about her arse" and Hugo having a religious identity crisis are A+ Darren Boyd moments.

Alex dealing with a songbird is just straight one of my top 10 sitcom bits.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Hippies is a decent one, it only ran for one series and it's nothing too special but it's by Arthur Mathews, it's got Simon Pegg in an early role (pre-Spaced, even, if barely), it's got Sally Phillips and Darren Boyd and Julian Rhind-Tutt (playing the character he always plays), Peter Serafinowicz is in it, and it's got its fair share of very quotable moments.

This reminded me of Simon Pegg's even earlier show, Asylum. I watched the hell out of that when it was on the Paramount Comedy Channel.

It was basically a way of comedians doing their acts and stand up routines but also had Jessica Hynes and Norman Lovett as well.

Also thinking about the Paramount Comedy channel, I remember that they had an answering machine that you could call to leave a message, which they would then put up on their teletext service.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Gromit posted:

No Heroics was great, if short. Along that theme, Misfits was also good (maybe the last season was a bit poo poo?)

I think Misfits fell down once the original storyline/cast wrapped up.

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

All these posts and no mention of Ideal

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Allo Allo is the greatest UK sitcom of all time and will never be bested.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Cerv posted:

Allo Allo is the greatest UK sitcom of all time and will never be bested.

I watched a bit of that recently expecting it to be absolute poo poo and it was actually not bad at all. Comedy Nazis haven't aged well but apart from that I liked it. Very nostalgic for me though.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
https://twitter.com/porksmith/status/1359450175996059648?s=19

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Exciting. Hope it's at least an hour-long special.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

My Lovely Horse posted:

"I can't stop thinking about her arse"

That old Irish classic...

That line popped into my head just after I posted it.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Misfits mostly fell apart after the first season, and got outright bad after the second one.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I also can't imagine anyone describing it as a sitcom

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Catzilla posted:

All these posts and no mention of Ideal

I did.

Also, glad to see Toast might return.

And yeah, Allo Allo and Dad's Army being a bit creaky and formulaic with age are still weird good comfort food.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Missed opportunity

https://twitter.com/IamHappyToast/status/1359462563373854720

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
As far as underapreciated sitcoms go I'm quite partial to We are Klang, the early Greg Davies vehicle based of a stage show he performed with Steve Hall and Marek Larwood.

Its still very much a staged production with audience participation every so often. The plot is about three council members having to do standard comedy stuff like organize a funraiser, find out who stole the town mascot, stop the spread of a disease that causes people to uncontrolably juggle etc. If I had to describe the overal tone I'd use the word facetious.

Its very up and down in quality but theres some moments characters and gags that one pun in the juggling episode, holy poo poo that are loving hysterical.

It was shown on BBC3 like once ever and never got a dvd release. Last time I checked it wasn't on any streaming platforms but it was easy to find in acceptable quality on youtube (theres better quality encodes out there in the filez somewhere too).

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Also recommended is The High Life, a 2 series camp sitcom about a pair of scotish airline hosts (one improbably played by Alan Cumming). Its mainly a 90s take on something like Are you being served but it has a great (and quite rare) comedy performance from Patrick Ryecart as a kindly doddering pilot and it has a Eurovision Parody episode to rival the Lovely Horse song from Father Ted.

This one did actually get a dvd release. Also apparently watchable through random youtube uploads so its probably not streaming anywhere.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

Taear posted:

I think a more interesting question is "When was the last good sitcom on UK TV?"
Derry Girls maybe? People Just Do Nothing if that counts? I'm not sure.

Derry Girls is fantastic.

However, I will die on this hill stating that Stath Let's Flats is the best British sitcom.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Mr Phillby posted:

Also recommended is The High Life, a 2 series camp sitcom about a pair of scotish airline hosts (one improbably played by Alan Cumming). Its mainly a 90s take on something like Are you being served but it has a great (and quite rare) comedy performance from Patrick Ryecart as a kindly doddering pilot and it has a Eurovision Parody episode to rival the Lovely Horse song from Father Ted.

This one did actually get a dvd release. Also apparently watchable through random youtube uploads so its probably not streaming anywhere.

Great, now I have this theme tune stuck in my head.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Was mentioned earlier as a Julian Rhind-Tutt vehicle but for me Green Wing is an all-time great of UK comedy. Mark Heap at the peak of his powers, Michelle Gomez absolutely smashing it, great dynamic between Rhind-Tutt and Mangan, Tamsin Grieg on great form in her straight-ish role in the midst of all the insanity, fantastic supporting cast.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I only ever saw two episodes or so but Whites with Alan Davies, Darren Boyd and Isy Suttie struck me as another good one back when it was out. Always meant to watch more of it, at least.

sebzilla posted:

Was mentioned earlier as a Julian Rhind-Tutt vehicle but for me Green Wing is an all-time great of UK comedy. Mark Heap at the peak of his powers, Michelle Gomez absolutely smashing it, great dynamic between Rhind-Tutt and Mangan, Tamsin Grieg on great form in her straight-ish role in the midst of all the insanity, fantastic supporting cast.
Don't forget Academy Award Winner Olivia Colman!

e: I suppose you didn't but, generally.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ohh gently caress, all 6 episodes of Adam Curtis' new series are on iPlayer today. Only found out yesterday that it was a series and not a one off, but I assumed it would be weekly.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I swear Curtis is just taking the piss with the footage/music interludes now haha. They have no relevance to anything!

Otherwise it’s as good and interesting as ever

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

The_Doctor posted:

I think Misfits fell down once the original storyline/cast wrapped up.

It was certainly more of the same rather than doing too much new by that point. But Joe Gilgun is always watchable.

I bet the Irish guy regrets his decision to quit and go for movie stardom now, not seen him for a long time.

Edit: spelling & gilgun comment.

wooger fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Feb 11, 2021

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

wooger posted:

It was certainly more of the same rather than doing too much new by that point. But Joe Gilgun is always watchable.

I bet the Irish guy regrets his decision to quit and go for movie stardom now, not seen him for a long time.

He's in the Umbrella Academy, I'd say he's doing alright.

Although his last movie was Mortal Engines...

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

wooger posted:

I doubt staying around in Misfits for a while longer would have changed his career much, one way or the other. As Strom said, he's one of the main characters in Umbrella Academy now, and that's going in to a third season, so he's not doing too badly.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Strom Cuzewon posted:

He's in the Umbrella Academy, I'd say he's doing alright.
I thought Umbrella Academy was meant to be really bad.

He’s not quite Timothy Chalomet that’s for sure.

I think the other guy (Iwan Rheon) going on to have a starring role in Game of Thrones gave him much bigger boost.

Assume the other original Misfits cast has died since too, or at least I’ve not seen them.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I've enjoyed the two seasons its had, personally. It seems quite popular on Netflix too, to say they're giving it a third season. Whether it'll get beyond that is another thing, since almost everything on Netflix gets canned after at most 3 seasons if I recall. That aside, I doubt Robert Sheehan himself is too pushed whether his career is as personally visible as another actor he used to work with if he left a relatively successful show early in it's life to pursue other ventures in the first place. You don't have to be the latest star of Hollywood critical darlings to have a career you like.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Umbrella Academy had its moments, was too much of a bog standard INTERPERSONAL DRAMA show for me, mostly had basically nothing to do with the comic books in terms of tone.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

wooger posted:

He starred afterwards in Love/Hate, an amazingly underrated show about Dublin gangsters.
Would recommend.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

wooger posted:

I thought Umbrella Academy was meant to be really bad.

I was probably the biggest UA season 1 hater on this board, but season 2 was a big improvement.

I thought Misfits season 2 was fantastic and loved the mix to a more serialised storyline so it really bummed me out when season 3 jettisoned all that and only really mentioned the storylines from s2 for a few minutes each in the premiere and finale

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

happyhippy posted:

He starred afterwards in Love/Hate, an amazingly underrated show about Dublin gangsters.
Would recommend.

I'm pretty sure he left that after only a couple of seasons too. The show went on for several more seasons, and seemed to get a lot of appreciation within Ireland at least since I heard people talking about it a good bit every season. I guess he just liked playing a character for a short while and then moving on. I wonder if he'll do the same with Umbrella Academy even if it gets a few more seasons?

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

wooger posted:

Talking of Gilgun, I watched the show he wrote recently, Brassic. Felt a bit like Emmerdale meets Shameless, if that's not a terrible elevator pitch. Had some good moments that made me laugh anyway.

Preacher was poo poo though.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

wooger posted:

Assume the other original Misfits cast has died since too, or at least I’ve not seen them.

Kelly the chav was the babysitter in two (so far!) episodes of Catastrophe, series 2 or 3.

The guy who could run fast (or could he time travel? Both??) was in the original Utopia. That's all I got.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

I was probably the biggest UA season 1 hater on this board, but season 2 was a big improvement.

I actually really preferred S1 to S2. S1 had loads of weird stuff, but the showboating musical pieces (Istanbul, Shingaling, I think We're Alone Now) felt like they had an actual reason to be in the show. With S2 they just kinda crammed them in because everyone expected them to be in there. It felt performatively quirky. Which is a shame, because when it wasn't trying so hard to be quirky it knocked it out the drat park (Olga Forolga, all the stuff with Ben, the civil rights protests).

fischtick posted:

Kelly the chav was the babysitter in two (so far!) episodes of Catastrophe, series 2 or 3.

The guy who could run fast (or could he time travel? Both??) was in the original Utopia. That's all I got.

Ella Kendrick, Ruth Negga and Nathalie Emmanuel all had minor roles, and they're probably the most successful ones.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Ella Kendrick, Ruth Negga and Nathalie Emmanuel all had minor roles, and they're probably the most successful ones.

Wiki'ed the show.
I would argue Antonia Thomas ( the one who turned everyone horny and mad to gently caress her) is the most successful, has 56 episodes and counting in the ongoing show The Good Doctor in the US

Kelly the Chav won a BAFTA for that role, best supporting actress.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

She was also in the Netflix show Lovesick about a guy contacting a load of his exes who he may have given an STD to.

A show also originally known by the far superior name Scrotal Recall

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
We all remember that Kelly’s actress, Lauren Socha is a racist piece of poo poo who went to prison for racially aggravated assault, right?

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

In all the sitcom chat I totally forgot about Garth Marenghi. I vote for that. I wish Matthew Holness did more stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

The_Doctor posted:

We all remember that Kelly’s actress, Lauren Socha is a racist piece of poo poo who went to prison for racially aggravated assault, right?
It was suspended, but yes.