Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I will say if Homestuck^2 is dead I'll be genuinely surprised. I know I've complained about it a lot, but it has over 1,700 patron subscribers so it's clearly very much a thing lots of people are interested in even if it never really clicked with me personally.

Man, you know what they should have done? Sold official enamel pins of the characters. God, I love enamel pins of things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I will say if Homestuck^2 is dead I'll be genuinely surprised. I know I've complained about it a lot, but it has over 1,700 patron subscribers so it's clearly very much a thing lots of people are interested in even if it never really clicked with me personally.

Man, you know what they should have done? Sold official enamel pins of the characters. God, I love enamel pins of things.

How much money does 1,700 subs equate to when it needs to be divided between a team and VIZ and patreon both want to take a cut?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Clawtopsy posted:

How much money does 1,700 subs equate to when it needs to be divided between a team and VIZ and patreon both want to take a cut?

I don't know, but you'd have to mismanage your funds pretty hard to turn 1,700 subs into something unprofitable. Lots of indie creators make a living on less.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Feb 9, 2021

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Pants Donkey posted:

Everything has been a mess since the comic ended on a highly mixed note
Everything was a mess long before the comic ended on a highly mixed note.

The Lobotomy Kid
Aug 27, 2011

and act like a nut.
It shouldn't have been given to the fans. Fans don't understand why they like things.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Chev posted:

Everything was a mess long before the comic ended on a highly mixed note.
Act 6 was very mixed, to be polite, and I think it may have ended on a better note if it maintained even that level of quality. But after Game Over things went downhill, and you could just feel how rushed everything was at the ending.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
there was a post uhhhhh on the patreon?? i don't even remember, but there was a post somewhere saying that they were taking an extra month off to reconfigure stuff, and did specifically call out something about patreon tiers. it's likely that the patreon is offline due to that.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

My thoughts on the Homestuck Bonus Updates:

Catnapped:
The Best of the bunch, now where are the rest of the sprites? Clearly sprites are the secret ingredient to making this comic fun and enjoyable.

Diamonds, Dames, and Dads:
The second best of the bunch, goes up it's own rear end in part 4 though.

A Treatise on Representational Democracy:
A bunch of information we already know, but at least the art is cute.

The Influencers:
Why? Why any of this?

A Threat, Sensed:
...yikes, this one hits different now then (I imagine) when it was first posted. Has the same energy as captain of the Titanic ranting about how stupid and harmless icebergs are before setting sail.

Final Thoughts:
Really should have stuck with Catnapped and finished that before moving on to something else.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
This is the perfect ending for homestuck imo

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
It does seem weirdly fitting.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Killed by it’s biggest fans

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Clawtopsy posted:

Killed by it’s biggest fans

This isn't meant as an insult, this scene just popped into my head and it made me laugh:

Again, I feel obligated to point out that Homestuck^2 has not yet been declared dead yet. I checked the patreon and the official stance is they're on hiatus: https://www.patreon.com/posts/hiatus-and-45570563

You know, if this was a slasher y'all would all die after you looked away from Jason Voorhees the first time he appeared to go down. Remember "Don't turn your back on the body"? That never stopped being a thing.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

You know, if this was a slasher y'all would all die after you looked away from Jason Voorhees the first time he appeared to go down. Remember "Don't turn your back on the body"? That never stopped being a thing.

HS^2 dropped on 10/25 and this thread had grown so weak nobody even joked in advance about something happening on the Significant Date

i mean maybe its fuckin dead, and RIP in peace if so, but im more of the Jeepers Creepers school of thought where you throw the car into reverse and drive over the corpse a few times before making any judgement calls

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

the important thing is that we all agree that homestuck2 is like a movie killer or evil clown: murderous, questionable grasp of things like "emotion" or "logic," and extremely slow

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Valentin posted:

the important thing is that we all agree that homestuck2 is like a movie killer or evil clown: murderous, questionable grasp of things like "emotion" or "logic," and extremely slow

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I liked Psycholonials.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
Homestuck^2 ain't dead

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Plom Bar posted:

Homestuck^2 ain't dead

loving hell

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

Welp, announcement from Hussie on Patreon confirmed that the team will continue on, but no updates until it's finished. So kind of like the epilogues, which is nice.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Cavatica posted:

Welp, announcement from Hussie on Patreon confirmed that the team will continue on, but no updates until it's finished. So kind of like the epilogues, which is nice.

wait what

last i recall this whole thing felt like we barely had reached the end point of a first act

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

Hussie via Patreon posted:

Homestuck^2 is going to be completed, but the Patreon will not be charging patrons anymore. The account will be frozen and no additional patrons will be accepted, but the ones currently registered are welcome to stay and receive notifications about the future of this project if the team is inclined to post any.

The plan now is to have HS^2 finished, but without a regular update schedule. Previously saved Patreon funds will be used to privately commission the team to finish the story. It will all be posted at once when it is finished, and there will be no updates until this happens. I expect that it will take a long time to finish the story. This is because I am specifically instructing the team to work slowly.

He goes on to detail the reasons, mostly fandom abuse towards the other creators.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
i just read that, thats hosed up

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Plom Bar posted:

Homestuck^2 ain't dead
And here I was thinking Aranea won in this timeline.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

So, which gets finished first, Homestuck^2 or Hiveswap?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Deltarune.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

YggiDee posted:

Deltarune.

You win.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Well, we did get confirmation that was indeed him doing weird poo poo on tumblr.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Cavatica posted:

yeah this is probably a good call. twice a month wasnt doing the pacing a lot of good.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The art was also starting to suffer. Almost as if Hussie had a ridiculous work schedule throughout Homestuck’s lifespan that is not very healthy to follow!

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
Looks like they just completely nuked the news section, and the About section explains the situation.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

It also shifted from “post updates whenever they finish them” to “dump the whole thing when finished” which I guess means it’s done as a serial reading experience.

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.
I haven't followed anything Hussie has done since Act 7 dropped until just now but man, Psycholonials was great. I was surprised to find myself feeling some real genuine pathos in the writing, which is an emotion I feel like has been mostly absent in all of Hussie's previous stuff (the only big attempt at it I remember from Homestuck itself was the sadstuck parts of post Game Over which... didn't really land).

Hoping that in subsequent chapters he manages to somehow keep some of these grounded feels even after it descends into weird alien antics or whatever the gently caress he has planned. Though I did love how the chapter ended.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

The problem with absolutely everything post-Homestuck is that Homestuck is fundamentally just one thing:

An unhealthy, breakneck update pace.

It's not a setting or a genre or a style of music or a kind of pixel art, Homestuck is something that dumps a huge amount of text and art on your head every twenty hours or so for a couple years straight. Nothing associated with Homestuck has had that since it originally got big, not even Hussie himself once he had to split his attention with the Kickstarter game and the fire went out.

Psycholonials was pretty interesting, it's nice to see Hussie doing something new-ish that feels like it's kept up with the march of time, but if it isn't constantly feeding grist to the mill then it's only going to be pretty interesting and not a new phenomenon.

Oh, and I definitely thought that whole end sequence was like a dream or a hallucination or something, at least until we reached the end of it. loving jumping a cop for his gun is quite the escalation!

Dolash fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Feb 15, 2021

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

His pre-Homestuck work was good too, so I think it will be good if Psycholonials is not Homestuck.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I think pinning the update speed as the biggest reason for Homestuck’s success is selling Hussie a bit short.

He is very good at crafting characters, even ones you’d expect to hate. He introduced a character that is a furry in 2009, and right after this detail about Jade was revealed, the next panel told her to drop the interest immediately. I think reader submissions had ended by this point, but even then Hussie anticipated a negative reaction. Nonetheless, she was ultimately popular as the other kids.

Also, character templating. Oh my god do people love a skeleton to built OCs around. Text color, pesterchum handle, class/aspect, and so forth. I doubt fantrolls and the like would have taken off so strongly if this sort of thing didn’t exist. Hussie isn’t the first person to do it, but you now see a fair share of webcomics have that kind of building block style of character.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Dolash posted:

The problem with absolutely everything post-Homestuck is that Homestuck is fundamentally just one thing:

An unhealthy, breakneck update pace.
That may be what it was at the time, but archive readers exist. I showed up right before the Omegapause ended and slammed down all of Homestuck in a week. (Yes, I'm weird.)

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

yeah the fundamental flaw with post homestuck content isn't the speed, it's that it's poorly written. the new characters weren't interesting, the writers seemed to have no grasp of the voice of any of the existing characters save dirk, it wasn't funny, and it whiffed on pretty much all of homestuck's core thematic concerns. for a putative homestuck successor to have nothing worthwhile to say on gender and sexuality, mental illness, authorship, identity formation, or the internet was dire, to say the least. the big notes they tried to hit didn't land, the small moments were graceless and artless and, not to belabor the point, completely joyless and humorless.

the only possible saving grace on all of these was that some plot twist was waiting in the wings to justify things, such that what read as bad fanfic would in retrospect instead be an uncanny valley version of homestuck that was intentionally jarring. In that sense, more speed might have helped. but that's waiting on good writing to save bad writing. there's every likelihood that, had homestuck2 been produced at the exact same quality but faster, it would simply have attracted more negative attention because of the writing team's inability to actually pull anything off successfully.

Valentin fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Feb 15, 2021

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
The problem with post-Homestuck content is it's still Homestuck.

Take Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass. This game is clearly inspired by Earthbound, but it's still its own thing that tells its own story with its own original everything.

Yet all the fan stories are basically just set in Homestuck's universe or some AU. They have almost the same mechanics. I mean, I get it, it's probably fun to write for them, but it's not going to be good. I would like to see more stuff inspired by Homestuck, not just spinoffs, sequels, or AUs. If Psycholonials wasn't made by Homestuck it would fit the bill. Also, PREQUEL and some of the other webcomics.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Awful Hospital is a really good one in the MSPA mould, if you're not already familiar with it. It might be the best example of what you're talking about, come to think of it.

I think with Homestuck itself it really feels like the problem is they're only continuing it to perpetuate the brand. Homestuck 2 is like a direct-to-video sequel, made by a B-team with all the character feeling just a bit off and none of the charm of the original story because the original story is done. I wonder how much of that is because Hussie/WP are legally on the hook for making the game; maybe without that albatross around their necks they'd just move on to something new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Tenebrais posted:

Awful Hospital is a really good one in the MSPA mould, if you're not already familiar with it. It might be the best example of what you're talking about, come to think of it.

Bogleech just makes cool/creepy stuff in general and I recommend checking it all out: https://bogleech.com/