Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
friends don't let friends use windows nfs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

H110Hawk posted:

Your hardware failure is not truenas's fault. If your synology magic nas box has a dead motherboard or backplane it will present the same. Had you 1:1 replaced the correct part you would have saved yourself a bunch of headache, and troubleshooting past that point was a headache of your own making.

This isn't to say your troubleshooting was wrong or you were dumb to do it, but next time default to replacing parts. It will save you a lot of headache.

I looked for the backplane online but It appears that silverstone doesn’t sell the backplane standalone and spending another several hundred dollars on a case to replace one part seems silly. I also am using an ASRock board with the fun Intel atom series that can just decide that it won’t boot anymore on a restart and I’ve had the bird replaced once but I am so far out of warranty that I doubt I could get another free replacement. It is more just wanting something I don’t have to babysit and I don’t do enough with my NAS that I need to host a ton ofVMs or anything else in the same box. Most “extreme” thing is my Unifi cloud key which I can do on a small docker VM. So I was just looking to maybe simplify my life a bit.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

The Gunslinger posted:

Personally I just have a cron job that runs a directory listing and dumps that in an email once a month. Most of the files I store, I can obtain them again easily enough. A few specific things I backup and obviously I backup my docker configs.

Mind sharing your cron job for this?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Smashing Link posted:

Mind sharing your cron job for this?

root crontab more or less would be: `find / -ls | mail blah` - getting it to actually email will be hard.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Hadlock posted:

Spoiler alert: I finally broke down and bought a synology, because I don't like being a computer janitor either
:jail:

Munkeymon posted:

Windows has NFS support, though, right? I man, I saw the check box under optional features, but I've never tried it because the smb.conf file I made in 2007 still works but maybe someone has :v:
All editions of Windows 10 except Home has the NFS support, and it's trivial to find a free perpetual Home-to-Pro upgrade key that was used by people as far back as the RTM days.

You definitely can't PM me to ask for what it starts with, which should let you search for it.

H110Hawk posted:

friends don't let friends use windows nfs.
NFS v4.2 is already massively awesome, and the TLS support is going to make it the preferred filesystem for anyone who's doing anything.
Oh yeah, it also does a little thing called locking - a concept that Windows still doesn't handle in TYOOL2021.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

NFS v4.2 is already massively awesome, and the TLS support is going to make it the preferred filesystem for anyone who's doing anything.
Oh yeah, it also does a little thing called locking - a concept that Windows still doesn't handle in TYOOL2021.

Is my knowledge that out of date on windows nfs support? Last time I looked, which admittedly is probably server 2000, it was considered "lol no" quality. On the unixes sure, NFSv4 has been cool for a while.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

Is my knowledge that out of date on windows nfs support? Last time I looked, which admittedly is probably server 2000, it was considered "lol no" quality. On the unixes sure, NFSv4 has been cool for a while.
I'll admit, I don't actually know for sure that they use NFSv4 - but I believe so. I've been using it since Windows 10 came out, it's never given me any problems, and it's faster than Samba (but not faster than SMB, obviously - Microsoft does a lot of secret sauce stuff).

Also, I've been helping with release notes for FreeBSD 13.0, and holy poo poo there's been an incredible amount of changes to bhyve.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Someone sent this to me a few mins ago... https://shucks.top/

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Hughlander posted:

Well that's just about perfect

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I wrote to the person behind it, asking about adding .de, .fr, .es, .se, it, .ca, .au, and .co.uk.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

H110Hawk posted:

root crontab more or less would be: `find / -ls | mail blah` - getting it to actually email will be hard.

Thanks. I imagine I can pipe it to a text file in a directory that will auto sync to some cloud service or another server.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Smashing Link posted:

Thanks. I imagine I can pipe it to a text file in a directory that will auto sync to some cloud service or another server.

Yup. Instead of mail there are like gcloud commands or something that can send the file anywhere.

Crimson Chin
Aug 16, 2005

mister happy turtle is a happy turtle
Yo, I wanna backup my poo poo in a cost effective way! I have some thoughts but would appreciate a sense check to make sure I'm not being silly.

Currently have a spare gaming PC from 5 years ago and want to use it with Windows 10 as a place to keep my Plex server (and for its continued use for some lower spec games). I have a single 4TB WD Red (about 75% full) that I backup online via Backblaze, but soon it will be full due to lots of media backups I'm doing. I imagine that when all is done I will have about 6GB of things, so I will need more hard drives and room for expansion.

Having done a little reading around RAID, I'm thinking of getting another 3x4TB WD Reds and using RAID 5 to get 12 TB of effective storage and to allow for one drive failure. I'll continue to backup to cloud in case anything catastrophic happens with the whole PC.

What hard drive management software can be recommended for use in Windows? I have no issues paying for something decent. Ideally I'd like something that I can just point in the direction of all the hard drives and have it build up the array without having to format the drive which currently has all my data on. Ideally I'd like the software to identify upcoming drive failures and allow easy reconstruction of the array when adding in new hard drives (or even automatically if I have a spare drive to hand).

Also, how is RAID 5 'seen' in Windows - a single 12TB drive that I can just interact with in all the normal ways while the RAID magic works in the background? Or would I have to import new data to the drives via whatever software I use to make the array?

And thinking much longer term when that 12TB is getting full - when a 4TB drive fails would it make sense to replace it with a larger capacity drive, even if I cannot realise all of its volume right after replacing? I think with RAID 5 I'd only get new capacity gains when all drives are of that new capacity, right?

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Crimson Chin posted:

Yo, I wanna backup my poo poo in a cost effective way! I have some thoughts but would appreciate a sense check to make sure I'm not being silly.

Currently have a spare gaming PC from 5 years ago and want to use it with Windows 10 as a place to keep my Plex server (and for its continued use for some lower spec games). I have a single 4TB WD Red (about 75% full) that I backup online via Backblaze, but soon it will be full due to lots of media backups I'm doing. I imagine that when all is done I will have about 6GB of things, so I will need more hard drives and room for expansion.

Having done a little reading around RAID, I'm thinking of getting another 3x4TB WD Reds and using RAID 5 to get 12 TB of effective storage and to allow for one drive failure. I'll continue to backup to cloud in case anything catastrophic happens with the whole PC.

What hard drive management software can be recommended for use in Windows? I have no issues paying for something decent. Ideally I'd like something that I can just point in the direction of all the hard drives and have it build up the array without having to format the drive which currently has all my data on. Ideally I'd like the software to identify upcoming drive failures and allow easy reconstruction of the array when adding in new hard drives (or even automatically if I have a spare drive to hand).

Also, how is RAID 5 'seen' in Windows - a single 12TB drive that I can just interact with in all the normal ways while the RAID magic works in the background? Or would I have to import new data to the drives via whatever software I use to make the array?

And thinking much longer term when that 12TB is getting full - when a 4TB drive fails would it make sense to replace it with a larger capacity drive, even if I cannot realise all of its volume right after replacing? I think with RAID 5 I'd only get new capacity gains when all drives are of that new capacity, right?

There's really no way to add drives to any style of array (be it JBOD like Unraid or actual full fat bit level striping) without formatting that drive.

Nulldevice
Jun 17, 2006
Toilet Rascal

Buff Hardback posted:

There's really no way to add drives to any style of array (be it JBOD like Unraid or actual full fat bit level striping) without formatting that drive.

Snapraid and Stablebit Drivepool could do it without formatting the existing disk while presenting a single pool I believe. I converted a friend's RAID1 to a single parity Snapraid array while keeping the data on one of the mirrors and turned the other into a new data disk and used the third for parity. Worked pretty well. This was on a Linux machine though so a lot more flexible. Used mergerfs to pool the drives.

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT

Crimson Chin posted:

Have a look at StableBit DrivePool if you just want to pile some disks in a Windows machine with some redundancy and have flexibility adding new drives later. e;fb

On the topic of StableBit, has anyone tried combining DrivePool with CloudDrive to make an absurd pool of, say, 20 free Mega.nz accounts @ 50GB each?

AgentCow007 fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Feb 12, 2021

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

AgentCow007 posted:

Have a look at StableBit DrivePool if you just want to pile some disks in a Windows machine with some redundancy and have flexibility adding new drives later. e;fb

On the topic of StableBit, has anyone tried combining DrivePool with CloudDrive to make an absurd pool of, say, 20 free Mega.nz accounts @ 50GB each?

Hah. Combine your works "free" onedrive with your local storage for a 1TB replica. :v:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I've been testing this for a little while now, and the autoreplace property, combined with SES-capable SAS chassies, is loving rad, let me tell you. :allears:

I can walk up to my server, pull out a drive, insert a new same-size-or-bigger drive, and it'll automatically replace the drive and resilver the pool based on the physical path of the disk.
The physical path will be something along the lines of "id1,enc@n5006048005f1ebbe/type@0/slot@f" which denotes enclosure ID, type (SAS, can also be FC), and slot ID (in this case, slot 15).

And thanks to per-dataset encryption, the entire disk is aes-gcm-256 encrypted, so decommissioning the yoinked disk just means recycling it, without having to wipe or do anything else.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Crimson Chin posted:

There are a lot of potential answers here. But snapraid could work, either with drive pooling(stablebit) or just separate disks. They don't all need to be the same size. Snapraid will let you recover from one or more drive failures, you can add more drives later. It isnt realtime like unraid or most raid configs, you need to schedule the parity writes, and in many configs you only write or read from one drive at a time so it isn't directly comparable. But those can be benefits and it is fine for many uses

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

I've been testing this for a little while now, and the autoreplace property, combined with SES-capable SAS chassies, is loving rad, let me tell you. :allears:

Sorry if you've mentioned and I'm forgetting and failing to find it but what chassis are you using?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Munkeymon posted:

Sorry if you've mentioned and I'm forgetting and failing to find it but what chassis are you using?
Oh, I might've mentioned it before, but it's a EMC KTN-STL3 with SAS (it can also come with FiberChannel, so be careful when grabbing them for cheap, if you plan to do that).

There's nothing unique about the chassis, though - it's just that for SFF-8088 it's part of the signaling, whereas with SFF-8087 for an internal SAS chassis, you just need the right header off your HBA to connect to the backplane - and right now, the name of that header is completely gone from my brain. orz

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.
I am selling a about 7 of my 4TB WD red drives on Ebay since I have now replaced them with shucked 8TB drives. I tried a program to 0 out the drives but it took like 3 days for it to complete and I really don't feel like doing this for the next month.

I found copy/pasting 4tb of data to it (just a bunch of blu-ray rips) was way faster. I figured I would just do that to each drive, and then format them. Then if some scrupulous Ebayer attempts to run an undelete program all they'll find is a bunch of stupid movies instead of anything that was on it previously, correct? I'm not too worried about it because it's not like it's bank statements or anything, just a bunch of MILF pr0n and Playstation ISOs but I was curious if any of that was recoverable after being completely written over again with new data that was then deleted.

Also when I was doing all this I plugged in a 3TB "green" WD drive and instantly Stablebit gave me a warning that the drive has had over 300,000 "head parks" or something. That seems like a lot considering I did not use the drive for that long, and the drive was not accessed often even when it was (it's just my usual hoarding data drive from a while ago). This reminded me of back in the day, you were supposed to run some WD tool (I think wd3idle or something like that?) that would prevent the drive from constantly parking. Basically people on Slickdeals would call you a moron for NOT doing it as soon as you got a new drive. I guess I never did it for this 3TB green drive but I am wondering if it's something that still should be done on the 8TB+ drives from Western Digital? The only info I was able to find on Google was that people said the program no longer works for drives made after 2017, so I was wondering if WD simply stopped the excessive head parking issue or if there's some new method people are using. Or if that whole thing was just a complete waste of time even back then?

Hughlander posted:

Just a head's up, this site seems to be inaccurate. The lowest for the 18TB was $279.99 at Best Buy in November.

frh fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Feb 18, 2021

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW posted:

Just a head's up, this site seems to be inaccurate. The lowest for the 18TB was $279.99 at Best Buy in November.
I spoke with the person who runs the website, because I wanted prices from the European Amazon front-ends added to it, and I got the impression that the site is very new - so the site might not have the historically most accurate data.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
The Greens were 5400rpm and notorious for this poo poo; not necessarily an issue but I also wouldn't put data I wanted on it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Crunchy Black posted:

The Greens were 5400rpm and notorious for this poo poo; not necessarily an issue but I also wouldn't put data I wanted on it.

Not only notorious but I believe the greens were one of the first drives that would actively ignore any attempts to disable the aggressive head parking algorithm, since WD wanted you to pay more for a Red.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Looked back a few pages and didn't see anything, is there a go to recommendation for a home NAS that's not installing linux on an old desktop and 'rolling my own' as it were? FWIW, I did that 20 some odd years ago and it left me emotionally scarred (configuring Linux and SAMBA servers and network drivers in ~2001ish was no joke).

I have a several years old Buffalo Link Station 1TB (Raid 1) and it doesn't look like I can increase the storage as it says to only replace drives with same capacity drives. So, ideally this new thing would have a path to larger storage space as time passes.

This is just for home use.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Synology is an appliance, meaning it's (intended to be) a set-and-forget thing.
In case you want something that isn't quite as closed, but still an appliance, TrueNAS Core is a new version of what used to be called FreeNAS, which in turn is based off FreeBSD, and they maintain their own documentation.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Synology is an appliance, meaning it's (intended to be) a set-and-forget thing.
In case you want something that isn't quite as closed, but still an appliance, TrueNAS Core is a new version of what used to be called FreeNAS, which in turn is based off FreeBSD, and they maintain their own documentation.

They also offer pre-built systems if you want to use TrueNAS but also still want an appliance-like experience.

https://www.truenas.com/truenas-mini/

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Or you can be an idiot like me and buy a used 6 bay r710 on eBay for $120

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

Elephanthead posted:

This is the way.

Well kinda, I’m still looking for a decently priced r720 with 3.5” drive holes.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Just got my hands on a 2 bay buffalo linkstation from father in law. Anything I can do to make this things usefully for him as a Nas?

I'm rocking a 4 bay QNAP I really like but I need to upgrade past the 2tb drives I have in there now. Should I gently caress with freenas or anything like that? Kind of annoyed that I cant mix and match drives as I expand, but other than that I can't really complain.

Plex, file backup, pretty basic poo poo. Im just dealing with a lot of big files lately because of 3d printing

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Murgos posted:

Looked back a few pages and didn't see anything, is there a go to recommendation for a home NAS that's not installing linux on an old desktop and 'rolling my own' as it were? FWIW, I did that 20 some odd years ago and it left me emotionally scarred (configuring Linux and SAMBA servers and network drivers in ~2001ish was no joke).

I have a several years old Buffalo Link Station 1TB (Raid 1) and it doesn't look like I can increase the storage as it says to only replace drives with same capacity drives. So, ideally this new thing would have a path to larger storage space as time passes.

This is just for home use.

Synology DS418

I did what you did and bear the same scars. DS418 is just easy breezy fun, zero maintenance. And if something goes wrong to can call their customer service and some braniac in California picks up the phone and will walk through all the endless minutae if you so desire. I'm so happy I never have to deal with this again, but it still has all the secret nerd stuff under the covers if you want to get your hands dirty.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

w00tmonger posted:

Just got my hands on a 2 bay buffalo linkstation from father in law. Anything I can do to make this things usefully for him as a Nas?

I'm rocking a 4 bay QNAP I really like but I need to upgrade past the 2tb drives I have in there now. Should I gently caress with freenas or anything like that? Kind of annoyed that I cant mix and match drives as I expand, but other than that I can't really complain.

Plex, file backup, pretty basic poo poo. Im just dealing with a lot of big files lately because of 3d printing
Well, you can mix and match drives, it's just that your vdev will be the approximately the size of your number of drives minus distributed parity level times the smallest disk in the vdev.
If you set the autoexpand property while creating the pool (or afterwards, before you begin replacing drives), once you've replaced all the small drives, the pool will grow automatically to a bigger size.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Elephanthead posted:

This is my setup I've had for years. My only problem is trying to source the right battery for the controller card. Anyone have suggestions on where to look?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

calandryll posted:

This is my setup I've had for years. My only problem is trying to source the right battery for the controller card. Anyone have suggestions on where to look?

There are a lot of options just from google. This one has good ratings on amazon but I do find a lot of the lipos I get on ebay don't last quite as long as the original, although they do usually work.
https://smile.amazon.com/Tinkerpal-Replacement-Poweredge-R410-12-Month-Warranty/dp/B07H8M47CN/

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

calandryll posted:

Don't use RAID HBA with ZFS.
Use an initiator target mode JBOD HBA, or ensure that your RAID controller supports JBOD mode with SATA pass-through.
Cheap RAID controllers (and sometimes not-cheap ones, Dell and HP RAID card based on MicroSemi controllers, until somewhat recently) create a fake JBOD setup by putting every device in its own RAID0 array, which gets all of the downsides of true JBOD mode without any of the upsides like cache control which ZFS needs.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Don't use RAID HBA with ZFS.
Use an initiator target mode JBOD HBA, or ensure that your RAID controller supports JBOD mode with SATA pass-through.
Cheap RAID controllers (and sometimes not-cheap ones, Dell and HP RAID card based on MicroSemi controllers, until somewhat recently) create a fake JBOD setup by putting every device in its own RAID0 array, which gets all of the downsides of true JBOD mode without any of the upsides like cache control which ZFS needs.

Oh I'm not using ZFS on that server. I'm using that particular setup for scientific computing stuff and the occasional file share.

Rexxed posted:

There are a lot of options just from google. This one has good ratings on amazon but I do find a lot of the lipos I get on ebay don't last quite as long as the original, although they do usually work.
https://smile.amazon.com/Tinkerpal-Replacement-Poweredge-R410-12-Month-Warranty/dp/B07H8M47CN/

I hadn't come across that one. I've been wary of getting crap ones off of Amazon but for 15 bucks I can't complain.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

calandryll posted:

Oh I'm not using ZFS on that server. I'm using that particular setup for scientific computing stuff and the occasional file share.
So you're saying ZFS isn't good enough for you, when it's good enough for LLNL (and other national laboratories) which put all of their data from their HPC clusters on it? :v:

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

So you're saying ZFS isn't good enough for you, when it's good enough for LLNL (and other national laboratories) which put all of their data from their HPC clusters on it? :v:

Haha, when I was first setting it up I just went straight into it without thinking about it too much. Unfortunately, it's been several years now and I've realized how it could be better set up. I have been thinking about getting a secondary setup dedicated for Plex and other things but haven't looked into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Boner Wad posted:

This is the way.

Well kinda, I’m still looking for a decently priced r720 with 3.5” drive holes.

T320 is another option, will do 8 3.5" drives. Tower form factor is more flexible if you aren't rack mounting it. An r720xd with 12x 3tb drives is a common config too.