Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I thought they were still talking about making it in the mid 90's

You're right actually, I had the timing wrong. The talks were ongoing throughout the 90's apparently. Arnold is persistent I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

KVeezy3 posted:

Nice write-up! Arnold's classic work are buried in my imagination from seeing bits and pieces on television as a kid, I bet they've aged well.

He's got some stinkers like Conan the Destroyer and Raw Deal, but a ton of his action output is loving great. Commando, The Terminator, The Running Man, Last Action Hero, Total Recall, True Lies, and Eraser are all good-to-great. Even Raw Deal is worth it for the scene where Arnold drives around a quarry shooting dudes while his car stereo plays Satisfaction.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Jesus Christ, James Cagney

https://twitter.com/MeganMcGurk/status/1359914736796782592?s=20

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Raw Deal is great because it's relatively forgotten/unknown, and it's pure uncut Arnold. It's like one of those McBain parody segments from The Simpsons. So it's a perfect choice for someone who loves Arnold but feels like they've seen all of his stuff a hundred times.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Basebf555 posted:

Raw Deal is great because it's relatively forgotten/unknown, and it's pure uncut Arnold. It's like one of those McBain parody segments from The Simpsons. So it's a perfect choice for someone who loves Arnold but feels like they've seen all of his stuff a hundred times.

It's all the non-Arnold stuff that brought it down for me. I couldn't wrap my head around the mafia's backdoor politicking, and kept waiting for Arnold to ram more bulldozers into card games.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

That kid needs to be in school.

Very rare to be able to say this, but at the moment a TV set is probably safer.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Vincent posted:

Are the "Unrated, Extended Cut!" of comedy movies always worse?

Since the plots of most comedies are threadbare enough you could probably cut them even shorter and they'd still be coherent (though often less funny) the extended cuts are almost always adding back in stuff that the director or producer thought was funny, but not as funny as what was in the theatrical release.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Whadda ya hear, whadda ya say

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Toxic Avenger reboot looking pretty sweet.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Skwirl posted:

Since the plots of most comedies are threadbare enough you could probably cut them even shorter and they'd still be coherent (though often less funny) the extended cuts are almost always adding back in stuff that the director or producer thought was funny, but not as funny as what was in the theatrical release.

I'm always reminded of Anchorman, which had enough material including a significant subplot about bank robbers cut out that they made a feature length pseudo-sequel entirely out of extra footage for the DVD.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

caligulamprey posted:

The extended cut of Walk Hard is a masterpiece and should have gotten a Best Costume Design nomination.

You're right.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Most of the time with unrated cuts of comedies all it means is a few extra boobs. Not that I mind that but it really doesn't add much to the comedy.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Which version of The Killing of a Chinese Bookie is the one to watch? HBO Max has the original version and a shorter Director's Cut.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CPL593H posted:

Which version of The Killing of a Chinese Bookie is the one to watch? HBO Max has the original version and a shorter Director's Cut.

shorter Director's Cut

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
John Carpenter's Lost Themes III came out last week and it's good as hell.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
The Hollywood Reporter did a profile on Shelley Duvall, it's good: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/f...ing-the-shining

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

X-Ray Pecs posted:

The Hollywood Reporter did a profile on Shelley Duvall, it's good: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/f...ing-the-shining

quote:

Unkrich was pleased to find that the Duvall on Dr. Phil was just one part of a bigger picture. Yes, she could be gripped by anxiety attacks or meander into unsettling descriptions of alien-surveillance programs. But she also could converse for long, coherent stretches and conjure up the slightest details about her life and of her career, of which she remains very proud. [...] Her mood ebbed and flowed throughout the day, but, like Unkrich, I found her memory to be sharp and her stories engrossing.
that dr. phil poo poo pissed me off years ago, so now I'm glad for this more complete picture of how she's doing nowadays

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Baron von Eevl posted:

I'm always reminded of Anchorman, which had enough material including a significant subplot about bank robbers cut out that they made a feature length pseudo-sequel entirely out of extra footage for the DVD.

Wasn't Annie Hall a murder mystery at some point?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

That kid needs to be in school.

There's not going to be any schools if the Boazanian conquest of earth is complete!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

Wasn't Annie Hall a murder mystery at some point?

Yeah, Manhattan Murder Mystery is basically a remake of Annie Hall if they'd kept the Murder plot.

I loving hate how much I like certain Woody Allen films, given the monster he is.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Watched Demolition Man for the first time since I was 13 last night. It's politics are incredibly ugly and impossibly stupid, but man was that a way, way better movie than I assumed based on my memories. Just bursting at the seams with ideas and world-building and production design while still managing to be incredibly coherent and full of fun and delight. And also stupid, stupid opinions.

It's not a movie I could ever see myself recommending anyone to watch, but it is one that I could very easily defend enjoying.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

it’s funny that the best adaptation of Brave New World almost by default is Demolition Man

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

feedmyleg posted:

Watched Demolition Man for the first time since I was 13 last night. It's politics are incredibly ugly and impossibly stupid, but man was that a way, way better movie than I assumed based on my memories. Just bursting at the seams with ideas and world-building and production design while still managing to be incredibly coherent and full of fun and delight. And also stupid, stupid opinions.

It's not a movie I could ever see myself recommending anyone to watch, but it is one that I could very easily defend enjoying.

What's your boggle?

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

feedmyleg posted:

Don't worry, I'll do it for you. Go watch Demolition Man y'all.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Enhance your calm

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Demolition Man is a little smarter than it gets credit for. Daniel Waters' credits are an absolute rollercoaster.

I managed to crowbar in a three-day weekend thanks to the snow, so I'm kicking back, getting really high and lying in bed watching The Beach Bum. Good times.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The only real issue with Demolition Man is it goes a little overboard with the Dennis Leary character. A bit too on the nose and his dumb speech is pretty much right out of his standup routine.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

The only real issue with Demolition Man is it goes a little overboard with the Dennis Leary character. A bit too on the nose and his dumb speech is pretty much right out of his standup routine.

I'm surprised they didn't go with the obvious joke of just having him play himself and say he's another guy that got frozen for thought crime and thawed out sometime before the events of the movie

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I'll be honest, I never understood the freezing people for crime thing. Theoretically they all get unfrozen at some point and for them no time has passed so there's no opportunity for moral reform and in terms of violent criminals, they're just as physically fit as they were before. It's basically punishing them by wasting an afternoon worth of their time.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Skwirl posted:

I'll be honest, I never understood the freezing people for crime thing. Theoretically they all get unfrozen at some point and for them no time has passed so there's no opportunity for moral reform and in terms of violent criminals, they're just as physically fit as they were before. It's basically punishing them by wasting an afternoon worth of their time.

They're supposed to be undergoing some kind of subliminal behavior modification while they're frozen, it's why Simon Phoenix knows kung fu and why John Spartan knows how to knit. In theory it's supposed to rehabilitate them into not being criminals.

E:. Oh yeah and Spartan tells cop lady that he was fully aware of what was going on as he was frozen, he says that he remembers watching his wife pound her fist on the block of ice.

ONE YEAR LATER fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Feb 12, 2021

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Whoops double poooost

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

feedmyleg posted:

Let’s go blow this guy.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Let’s go blow this guy.

You really licked his rear end.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Demolition Man is really interesting for its take on the PC Police, which is so similar to, but distinct from, the SJWs of today's rightwing maniacs.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I decided to rewatch 8MM for the first time in decades and influenced by the impending Face/Off sequel I got The Worst Idea: 8MM remake or sequel by Gaspar Noé. Same cast.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Demolition Man needed anyone but Denis Leary to be the avatar of red-blooded American individualism. I’m supposed to WANT this guy to be let out of the sewers?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Demolition Man is worth watching just for Snipes' performance. It's a shame his career just fizzled out in the late 90s because he's fantastic. Though if I recall correctly part of that is he got a bit kooky wacky in the brain.

Supposedly the three seashells were supposed to be used in a way where two of them were like tongs and the third was to scrape off the residual poo poo. Aside from all the various other logisitical issues with that I find it hard to believe that anyone is going to have solid shits when their diets consist largely of Taco Bell.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

it’s funny that the best adaptation of Brave New World almost by default is Demolition Man

This is perfect.

(The thing you said is perfect not the weird rubber Stallone.)

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Splint Chesthair posted:

Demolition Man needed anyone but Denis Leary to be the avatar of red-blooded American individualism. I’m supposed to WANT this guy to be let out of the sewers?

I wonder if there is even a single person in the whole world who looks back on those few years that Denis Leary was a thing and doesn't go ".... ugh."

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CPL593H posted:

Demolition Man is worth watching just for Snipes' performance. It's a shame his career just fizzled out in the late 90s because he's fantastic. Though if I recall correctly part of that is he got a bit kooky wacky in the brain.

Blade 1 was 99, he fizzled out in the mid 2000's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

ChickenMedium posted:

I wonder if there is even a single person in the whole world who looks back on those few years that Denis Leary was a thing and doesn't go ".... ugh."

There was that one comedy where he took a married couple hostage on Christmas and either they were so terrible to each other it reformed him or he was such an rear end in a top hat they were not terrible to each other anymore, possibly both.

They might have adopted him at the end. I liked it!

Also, he was good as Christopher Walken's mouthy henchman in Suicide Kings.