Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I usually like Pedro Pascal but I think he's getting a little overexposed? Mahershala Ali would've been more interesting in that role to me. I'll still watch either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nundizo
Feb 9, 2021

abelwingnut posted:

hold up, when six feet under aired, did people sympathize with nate? i sure hope not.

Finished the show early this year and I swear I never understood the worship. I always found him to be manipulative, narcissistic and extremely annoying despite this apparently being the unpopular opinion amongst SFU fans. I wish he died during the end of Season 2, maybe then I'd have actually cared for him but I just knew the writers didn't have the balls to do it considering how important he seemed to the show.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

mcmagic posted:

I usually like Pedro Pascal but I think he's getting a little overexposed? Mahershala Ali would've been more interesting in that role to me. I'll still watch either way.

I'm glad to see him getting more work. He's in two shows and barely in one at all.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I think it was this thread talking about Renovation Realities on Discovery+.

I had never heard of it but checked the first few episodes yesterday. I feel terrible for laughing at some of these situations cause I know that's how it would go for me if I attempted any DIY renovations.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

abelwingnut posted:

hold up, when six feet under aired, did people sympathize with nate? i sure hope not.

Nundizo posted:

Finished the show early this year and I swear I never understood the worship. I always found him to be manipulative, narcissistic and extremely annoying despite this apparently being the unpopular opinion amongst SFU fans. I wish he died during the end of Season 2, maybe then I'd have actually cared for him but I just knew the writers didn't have the balls to do it considering how important he seemed to the show.

As someone who watched it when the show actually aired (I changed my name on SA after the 'narm' episode), I don't think people worshiped the character or truly sympathized with him. I remember everyone seeing him as a very flawed character who never really learn from his mistakes. He was completely selfish and even his own tries at self improvement failed due to his narcissism. I do remember that Peter Krause being upset about how the character turned out, no real growth I think was his issue. Alan Ball responded that is life and death. You can die while you are in the middle of a bunch of poo poo, you can die before you have that real growth, or you can just continue to suck as a person. I will say people were sad when he died, but not because they worshiped him. It was because they just spent 5 seasons with him as a character (also watching 5 seasons over 5 years is a different experience than binging a show), and I remember my thought when he died was drat he never unfucked himself before he died like I thought he would. Now I haven't watched SFU since it aired, but what I just wrote reminds me of Don Draper. Both of them were always searching for happiness while loving almost everyone else over while doing it and never really truly changing.

Now my take on Nate is based on my experiences within my own family as we watched and the threads on here from when the show aired. I would say the worship of Don Draper and Walter White are more glaring examples of what you speak of.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Feb 11, 2021

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

:thunk:

Nundizo
Feb 9, 2021

nate fisher posted:

As someone who watched it when the show actually aired (I changed my name on SA after the 'narm' episode), I don't think people worshiped the character or truly sympathized with him. I remember everyone seeing him as a very flawed character who never really learn from his mistakes. He was completely selfish and even his own tries at self improvement failed due to his narcissism. I do remember that Peter Krause being upset about how the character turned out, no real growth I think was his issue. Alan Ball responded that is life and death. You can die while you are in the middle of a bunch of poo poo, you can die before you have that real growth, or you can just continue to suck as a person. I will say people were sad when he died, but not because they worshiped him. It was because they just spent 5 seasons with him as a character (also watching 5 seasons over 5 years is a different experience than binging a show), and I remember my thought when he died was drat he never unfucked himself before he died like I thought he would. Now I haven't watched SFU since it aired, but what I just wrote reminds me of Don Draper. Both of them were always searching for happiness while loving almost everyone else over while doing it and never really truly changing.

Now my take on Nate is based on my experiences within my own family as we watched and the threads on here from when the show aired. I would say the worship of Don Draper and Walter White are more glaring examples of what you speak of.

Interesting take, thank you.

I guess most of the people who I talked to (randoms and friends who recommended the show) couldn't describe him this way. The most common example I saw was fans often blaming everyone but Nate for his mistakes and shortcomings which is why my general opinion of him was so negative.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Get that money. Umbrella Academy cast got a big pay raise in front of filming season 3.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Ah so season 3 will be the last season then.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

GreenNight posted:

Ah so season 3 will be the last season then.

Well, its Netflix so that was going to happen anyway.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Nundizo posted:

Interesting take, thank you.

I guess most of the people who I talked to (randoms and friends who recommended the show) couldn't describe him this way. The most common example I saw was fans often blaming everyone but Nate for his mistakes and shortcomings which is why my general opinion of him was so negative.

I could be wrong. I hardly knew anyone who watched SFU when it aired outside of my wife. The rest were goons on this forum. So I am sure there are tons of bad takes on that character now. My mom and niece recently watched it. I will have to get their thoughts.

I know. I was like how can I say what I said and seem sincere with the username I have.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Feb 11, 2021

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

muscles like this! posted:

Get that money. Umbrella Academy cast got a big pay raise in front of filming season 3.

Real question, has it been announced if Elliot Page will be playing the role as it was, or are they making changes to the character?

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
My touchstone for SFU discourse at the time was the Television Without Pity reviews & forums. God I miss that site.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

swickles posted:

Real question, has it been announced if Elliot Page will be playing the role as it was, or are they making changes to the character?

I think they had already mentioned that he will continue playing Vanya as was right around the time he made the announcement. At least that was the case back in December.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Yeah none of that changed. He mentioned he can act as someone he is not, which whoop that's acting.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Well, the Joss Whedon trashfire just got bigger:

https://twitter.com/Hello_Tailor/status/1359984855375831042

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Laterite posted:

Well, the Joss Whedon trashfire just got bigger:

https://twitter.com/Hello_Tailor/status/1359984855375831042

A real life :stare: reading that.

I know it's not surprising or new, but every reminder of the way the world bends to allow people to be horrible still gets to me.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

GreenNight posted:

I'm glad to see him getting more work. He's in two shows and barely in one at all.

I don't necessarily think he's overexposed, but I don't think I've ever seen this much fanfare and swooning about an actor in comparison to their actual body of work. His most high profile roles are:

-Nondescript partner of the cop character in the first couple of seasons of Narcos
-Bit part of one of the worst/poorly adapted parts of the world in GOT
-The voice of The Mandalorian
-The villain in one of the most poorly received superhero movies of the last few years

And yet, the internet appears to be obsessed with him

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I was honestly about to say “that was Oscar Isaac in Apocalypse” because I already completely forgot Wonder Woman 1984 even existed. That movie is so poo poo

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Huh, I didn't know he was mostly doing VO for the Mandalorian.

While they totally hosed up Dorne over all, he did great with what he had, I thought.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Watching the first episode of Resident Alien, it is pretty fun. Also Alan Tudyk is in really good shape.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

IRQ posted:

While they totally hosed up Dorne over all, he did great with what he had, I thought.

Fair, but 90% of the bit part character actors in GOT were amazing. He didn't exactly stand out from the pack.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
How is Kim's Convenience? Worth getting in to?

And yes, the Resident Alien pilot was great. The next two episodes waffle a little.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Looten Plunder posted:

Fair, but 90% of the bit part character actors in GOT were amazing. He didn't exactly stand out from the pack.

Even amongst that Oberyn Martell is an incredibly strong and memorable character who doesn't even last one season. This is one of the best book to screen adaptations as Oberyn Martell is only in like a quarter of one book and his legacy is still delt books later.

GRRM realised he hosed up badly killing him off and tried to catch lightning in a bottle twice with Dark Star Dayne who never got adapted thank gently caress.

Its like The Wire - so many loving great actors and side performances but only a few went on to bigger things but the obes who did really dud stand out from the lack (Idris Elba, Michael K Williams, hell Michael B Jordan was the Pedro Pascal of The Wire)

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Hughmoris posted:

I definitely think it's worth a watch, it's a lot of fun.

I've been watching through The Strain when I've got some down time, and it's certainly... a show. It's a decent enough time waster, but it really feels like the different plots meander too long before actually intersecting, and some of these characters go too long without having anything to do.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Lid posted:

GRRM realised he hosed up badly killing him off and tried to catch lightning in a bottle twice with Dark Star Dayne who never got adapted thank gently caress.

I had forgotten about the dork star, he was the one with the stupid anime hair right? What a mess those books turned into.

Clibanarius
Sep 22, 2020

by Athanatos
I think Pedro Pascal is bouyed somewhat by the Oberyn performance because of his scenes with Tyrion, coming to the fan favorite's rescue in a time of dire need. That and both characters were still well-written at the time and all, so their scenes together were better than they'd have otherwise been if they'd taken place even a year later in the show. Oy vey, what a downturn.

"I will be your champion."

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So the weird thing about the first episode of Resident Alien is that all the alien effects were good but for some reason they went with CG for any scene where you saw a car actually moving and it is super awkward.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

IRQ posted:

Are normal people generally ready to get back on board with asoiaf again already? I remember the backlash to the poo poo finale being pretty huge.

I kind of loved it in retrospect, it killed whatever tiny part of me still cared if the books ever got written.

I found it hilarious how everyone I worked with went from being unable to shut up about GoT to “ohh. :(“ overnight. I have no idea if HBO will be able to get the enthusiasm back for their spin-offs but my magic 8 ball is telling me “outlook not good”.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Hughmoris posted:

And yes, the Resident Alien pilot was great. The next two episodes waffle a little.

I started watching Kim's Convenience at random based on a recommendation and binged the entire thing in two days. I loved it. It's a great feel-good comedy.

Nundizo
Feb 9, 2021
is Netflix's 'The Crown' worth watching?

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Nundizo posted:

Absolutely

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Re: Kim's Convenience; the show overall is a delight but I get bored/restless when it gets too much into Janet & Jung's various dramas.

Everything with Appa and Umma is gold, though. They're so perfect for each other. :allears:

Also I low-key crush on Pastor Nina and I love how she navigates the Kim's foibles.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Nundizo posted:

To paraphrase John Oliver, do you want to be put in the awkward position of finding Margaret Thatcher sexually appealing? :j:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Maggie be my mommy punish me with austerity

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Simone Magus posted:

To paraphrase John Oliver, do you want to be put in the awkward position of finding Margaret Thatcher sexually appealing? :j:

https://twitter.com/JoelGHodgson/status/1329046240814899205?s=20

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Nundizo posted:

he was nice to his sister.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Laterite posted:

My touchstone for SFU discourse at the time was the Television Without Pity reviews & forums. God I miss that site.

lol their Angel reviews were hysterical. Motherfucker hated doors!

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Lid posted:

Its like The Wire - so many loving great actors and side performances but only a few went on to bigger things but the obes who did really dud stand out from the lack (Idris Elba, Michael K Williams, hell Michael B Jordan was the Pedro Pascal of The Wire)

Agree on MBJ but Williams and Elba were multi season stars of the show and i'd argue everyone not named Dominic West that wasn't an amateur actor went on to do bigger things after The Wire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Looten Plunder posted:

Agree on MBJ but Williams and Elba were multi season stars of the show and i'd argue everyone not named Dominic West that wasn't an amateur actor went on to do bigger things after The Wire.

Sonja Sohn?