Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

lol oh holy poo poo ok, fair enough. i agree, gently caress those guys. i was assuming at least some modicum of conversation first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iverron
May 13, 2012

Steve Jorbs posted:

How does one respond to a recruiter telling you about their company’s team of sub-contracted programmers in, “The Ukraine?”

as in that’s the team you’d be working with?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Steve Jorbs posted:

How does one respond to a recruiter telling you about their company’s team of sub-contracted programmers in, “The Ukraine?”

Good on them, Ukrainians are nice people and my only interaction with Ukrainian programmers has been positive.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
it's called Ukraine

if you call it "the" ukraine then you're presenting as though you think it's a region of russia instead of a self-determining nation

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

i blame the ohio state university for making Americans not thinking critically about “the” being a part of a formal name of something

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Jabor posted:

it's called Ukraine

if you call it "the" ukraine then you're presenting as though you think it's a region of russia instead of a self-determining nation

I missed that completely :gonk:

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
Ukraine has nuts good developers. It's amazing how high the average level of talent is there.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

PCjr sidecar posted:

TN has some educational requirements that might be difficult to meet as a non-traditional.

TN and H1-B are both going to be difficult without a university degree that somewhat corresponds to the job title. although people bullshit a lot for "management consulting" and such TNs so it might still be an option. L-1 requires you to be working for the company outside of the US for at least one year, and they need to then decide they want to transfer you to the US bad enough to deal with all the crap.

if none of those work, you could also marry an american.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

TimWinter posted:

Ukraine has nuts good developers. It's amazing how high the average level of talent is there.

:yossame: for Russia

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Jabor posted:

it's called Ukraine

Ya this is what I was getting at. There were like a dozen glassdoor reviews ragging on the foreign team as well. All from sales/account managers. Bullet dodged lol. Hope the Ukrainian team gets the respect they deserve someday.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Steve Jorbs posted:

Ya this is what I was getting at. There were like a dozen glassdoor reviews ragging on the foreign team as well. All from sales/account managers. Bullet dodged lol. Hope the Ukrainian team gets the respect they deserve someday.

Fixed

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
When I was negotiating offer at $newjob, I tried the "refuse to say a number" and it worked for me. I managed to keep it friendly like this:

Early in the process, I said that compensation isn't everything, and I'm sure their range would be where I needed.

Later in the process, I said that I was sure they'd be able to offer market-rate for my skillset and background, then I left that term in their court.

When asked about my current salary, I said only that I was a little underpaid, and that was part of why I was interviewing at $newjob. Then I reminded them that I was sure $newjob would be able to pay market rate.

Then I took their offer and counter-offered for higher base salary and lower RSUs because I never trust that a startup will pan out.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

with my current job i said nothing at all

two weeks after starting, the (former) HR person cornered me and said we're not releasing your paycheck until you tell me how much you made at your last job

didnt really care about the consequences at that point so i told em

50% increase job over job, they were kinda pissed

edit: was drinking when i wrote this, removed a redundancy

Share Bear fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Feb 16, 2021

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Share Bear posted:

two weeks after starting, the (former) HR person cornered me a week after i started and said we're not releasing your paycheck until you tell me how much you made at your last job

that’s hosed up and illegal

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

The Fool posted:

that’s hosed up and illegal

yup

there's reasons why they're former

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

i blame the ohio state university for making Americans not thinking critically about “the” being a part of a formal name of something

i blame them for plenty of other things too 👁️

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Share Bear posted:

two weeks after starting, the (former) HR person cornered me a week after i started and said we're not releasing your paycheck until you tell me how much you made at your last job

lmao

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

before they made it illegal in california to ask about previous salaries there were places that actually required you to verify your previous income

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Share Bear posted:

wowzer

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

so yeah, never say a number

also probably brush up on what the local laws for this are, that's now 100% illegal in new york (barring some other law about paying me) but it wasn't then

Share Bear fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Feb 12, 2021

Winty
Sep 22, 2007

Thank you for the answers to my question, I have some good answers to go on, thank you. Also I hope everyone is having a nice day

Winty fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Feb 13, 2021

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

drat, mass is on point with this one too:

https://www.cambridgema.gov/~/media...20to%20do%20so.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
I’m curious how you handle the ‘I’m walking away from $xxx,xxx in RSUs situation’. is it worthwhile ever bringing that up or do you just figure ‘I have $y vesting over the next few years so I need to increase my salary over that’?

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

Total comp is total comp. If they can't match your current equity they're asking you to take a pay cut to join, no matter how it's dressed up.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

yeah, basically. you don't have to talk about your vesting stock because why are you breaking that down for them anyway?

also, that's what signing bonuses are for

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
sign-on works, and so does rsu if they do year by year partial vesting, and find out what their annual bonus/raise percentage is like so you can estimate if you can make it up easily over 1-2 years. It’s also worth finding out if you’ll even be eligible for the upcoming bonus cycle. if not use that as justification for a higher sign-on, rsu, leave, education and/or base

gl with your negotiations

Joe Chip
Jan 4, 2014
welp my old job emailed me a termination letter and pointedly gave me the non compete agreement i signed ages ago lol. i'm so low level i don't think they'll bother enforcing it even though my new company could technically be construed as a 'competitor'

fake edit: also lost $140,000 in RSUs; gently caress 'em

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Don't ask me lady, I live in beer
recently changed jobs and had a very insistent "what salary are you expecting" in the phone screen which i dodged with "i have options and bonus etc. so i'd need to see the whole package", he continued with "not wanting to waste everyones time" but i held out. then in the final round with the phone screener and the hiring manager he tried again a couple of times and eventually told him straight "i'm not comfortable answering that"

offer was made at X, a little over my current base which i would've taken for the more interesting work. i emailed back saying i was really excited and it'd be a much easier decision if they could get closer to X + 10% and they came back with X + 8%

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Destroyenator posted:

recently changed jobs and had a very insistent "what salary are you expecting" in the phone screen which i dodged with "i have options and bonus etc. so i'd need to see the whole package", he continued with "not wanting to waste everyones time" but i held out. then in the final round with the phone screener and the hiring manager he tried again a couple of times and eventually told him straight "i'm not comfortable answering that"

offer was made at X, a little over my current base which i would've taken for the more interesting work. i emailed back saying i was really excited and it'd be a much easier decision if they could get closer to X + 10% and they came back with X + 8%

:yotj:

scary gary
Feb 17, 2021

how much of an idiot rube am i for sticking with a job? i do a lot of client interaction as part of my day to day and i've seen how dysfunctional and awful a lot of places are, but i know job hopping is the only way to get substantial pay increases these days.

i do genuinely like where i work now and the company is doing fine so i'm not worried about getting laid off or anything, but i also dont want to be hosed if something goes bad five years from now and my resume is just various roles at x for the past decade

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
how many figs you gettin

scary gary
Feb 17, 2021

high 5, 6 if you go by total compensation

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

scary gary posted:

how much of an idiot rube am i for sticking with a job? i do a lot of client interaction as part of my day to day and i've seen how dysfunctional and awful a lot of places are, but i know job hopping is the only way to get substantial pay increases these days.

i do genuinely like where i work now and the company is doing fine so i'm not worried about getting laid off or anything, but i also dont want to be hosed if something goes bad five years from now and my resume is just various roles at x for the past decade

i think as long as you don't stop learning things and your compensation is sensible (for whatever definition you choose yourself) you're fine. any place that evaluates the breadth of a candidate's experience solely by the raw # of companies they worked at sounds kind of sucky. i'm not a hiring manager though

but the edge of six figures is downright anemic tech comp for the big markets. if you're in a hub you're probably being severely underpaid, depending on the specific type of computer touching you do.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
my buddy started satisficing on total comp after he made it over the 250k mark and i suggest you do too, when you hit that cool quarter million

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

scary gary posted:

have you tried asking for a raise? see if you can get a meeting to discuss your compensation relative to your performance and the wider market. don't threaten to leave or anything just make them aware you're aware other places pay better. remind them how good you are. I scored a 25% raise a few months ago doing this. probably still underpaid by a bit but it's a good role and I enjoy it.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

scary gary posted:

start casually applying for jobs in your area / field just to test the waters and see what's out there. when you don't feel at all stressed or compelled is the best time to see what's out there. worst case scenario is you find out that you're paid at about market rate and nothing changes

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

PIZZA.BAT posted:

start casually applying for jobs in your area / field just to test the waters and see what's out there. when you don't feel at all stressed or compelled is the best time to see what's out there. worst case scenario is you find out that you're paid at about market rate and nothing changes

I want to just have this at the top of every page

Never don't be casually applying

scary gary
Feb 17, 2021

this is in a medium sized city in the Midwest (I should’ve mentioned this, oops) so yeah, I’m not expecting major market level compensation. glassdoor/whatever data is kinda all over the place though, and I’m in a bit of a niche anyways

they’ve given me a pretty decent raise in the past (a couple years ago) and are good about letting people learn new stuff. sending out resumes/interviewing seems like good advice, I’ll see where that leads

thanks all

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

this right here is a five-dollar word

Poopernickel fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Feb 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DawntoDust
Dec 11, 2006

Glory is Fleeting,
Obscurity is Forever

Not a Children posted:

I want to just have this at the top of every page

Never don't be casually applying

I do applications during the biweekly morning Bluejeans meetings where the hopeless Service Delivery Manager I report to fights mightily with third grade math and bad metrics queries. It's a miracle we haven't all been laid off yet. Wish me luck.