Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

God that sounds horrible.

Single Korean man saves rest of the useless world is exactly why I fell so hard off this webtoon.

It more of the power struggle they (hunters) never had to deal with. It's like a reverse one punch man where the other heros have real greed knowing they are the only ones that can do the job. Japan was pressured into buying the services of a hunter from Russia because he knew he could lock them into paying for it. Humans are assholes and they become even bigger, darker assholes, when they have power to deal with problems.

Another thing I enjoy, which will seem weird as heck, is the summon interactions. The bigger ones are not mindless automatons and we see that:

1. they remember how they died and are proud of the fact they are being led by Sung
  2. the insects have demonstrated ingrained thoughts like "humans are the enemies to the queen" can come out
  3. the one human that Sung released after healing Cha revealed that what Sung is doing to the dead souls is ... weird and to watch out.

Also the artwork is amazing and dynamic so I look forward to the OP fights. I stitched together the panorama views before fights for my ultrawide monitor desktop and it's great to look at.

as an aside I have started removing the "young kid is a master but makes fun of his bullies by being better than them by buying/single punching/WALKING HARD PAST THEM and making the girl who dumped him ask herself if she made the right choice or not" titles.

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jan 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I am still reading solo leveling because I'm curious about the system which it is addressing now at least to some level.

I think Hardcore Leveling Warrior is my favorite of the "governed by rules of a game" series though, and it doesn't really have the nationalism poo poo. It just requires me to accept that this video game is somehow critically important to the world economy or something which, while weird, sure whatever I can deal with it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Poster Tosk mentioned the manhwa Fight Class 3 in the Shounen thread, but it probably makes more sense here - https://mangadex.org/title/21647/fight-class-3

I've read like 40 chapters of this today and it's probably one of the best fighting manga/manhwa I've ever read. Great action, art, humor, etc.

edit: Ji-tae you gotta stop this buddy

edit2: It's a hell of a thing when it gradually builds up this contrast between Ha-min (I think that's the name of the guy who crushes on Maria) being pulled back from the edge of losing his mind while the protagonist is going in the complete opposite direction, culminating in a juxtaposition between the other fight class people playing at the beach while the protagonist is literally fighting in a pile of corpses. In general it's pretty startling how it mixes these disturbing/upsetting sequences with stuff like the capoeira girl starting to date the playboy guy (though I have a feeling that guy is going to be relevant at some point soon after the reveal of his connections to the Tunnel and relationship to the handsome Tunnel guy). Or various other scenes that are somehow simultaneously very funny and very disturbing.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jan 18, 2021

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Shugojin posted:

I am still reading solo leveling because I'm curious about the system which it is addressing now at least to some level.

I think Hardcore Leveling Warrior is my favorite of the "governed by rules of a game" series though, and it doesn't really have the nationalism poo poo. It just requires me to accept that this video game is somehow critically important to the world economy or something which, while weird, sure whatever I can deal with it.

Hlw is explicitly magic which makes it easier to deal with imo

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
So Deathtoll Scans has released the first and second chapters of Hellper 2 <KillBeros>. Hopefully they find a typesetter for the long haul because this is a sequel I've wanted translated for some time although it's more accurate to call it a prequel.

The original series can be read on Webtoons and is well worth a read.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Pretty sure Hellper 2 or 3 or whatever it's on now went on hiatus after the huge uproar about its treatment of female characters and whatnot. I didn't fully follow the scandal.

And now people (by which I assume angry Korean dudes for the most part) are complaining about Naver censoring webtoons.

So, uh, sure is a time to start TLing the series.

The score at the top is for the hiatus announcement.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I'm hoping that Solo Leveling stops having chapters where I just hold page down and confirm that yeah, his immortal army has effortlessly overcome another challenge. I feel like I'm just treading water until something interesting happens because he was barely challenged when he didn't have his shadow army, so it feels pointless to pretend he's challenged when he does have his shadow army. Presumably something is coming to actually challenge him, but it's getting tired.

Kefahuchi_son!!!
Apr 23, 2015

Ytlaya posted:

Poster Tosk mentioned the manhwa Fight Class 3 in the Shounen thread, but it probably makes more sense here - https://mangadex.org/title/21647/fight-class-3

I've read like 40 chapters of this today and it's probably one of the best fighting manga/manhwa I've ever read. Great action, art, humor, etc.

edit2: It's a hell of a thing when it gradually builds up this contrast between Ha-min (I think that's the name of the guy who crushes on Maria) being pulled back from the edge of losing his mind while the protagonist is going in the complete opposite direction, culminating in a juxtaposition between the other fight class people playing at the beach while the protagonist is literally fighting in a pile of corpses. In general it's pretty startling how it mixes these disturbing/upsetting sequences with stuff like the capoeira girl starting to date the playboy guy (though I have a feeling that guy is going to be relevant at some point soon after the reveal of his connections to the Tunnel and relationship to the handsome Tunnel guy). Or various other scenes that are somehow simultaneously very funny and very disturbing.

Up to 51, this is really good so far, thanks for the headsup.
Is the translation up to the latest published chapter?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Kefahuchi_son!!! posted:

No idea, I just read until the translated chapters stopped.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i guess whatever the actual plot of solo levelling is, is about to be revealed

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

Ytlaya posted:

Thanks, I didn't realize this thread even existed, only recently started using this subforum.

FC3 is great! Glad you're enjoying it.

Kefahuchi_son!!! posted:

Up to 51, this is really good so far, thanks for the headsup.

From what I understand, the series comes out once a week as a webcomic, and every chapter consists of 2-3 of these updates (with exceptions, like that one chapter that's 150 pages long or something). The scanlation group waits for each chapter to finish before they translate it, hence the somewhat irregular schedule.

It's up to date as far as finished chapters go, and I think the latest one has about two updates already but has yet to conclude and so hasn't been translated yet. A chapter just came out 3 days ago though on Mangadex.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

:siren: THE BREAKER IS RETURNING THE BREAKER IS RETURNING!!! :siren:

I REPEAT: THIS IS NOT A DRILL :vince:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

About loving time

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

:toot: loving finally

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

I'm going to end up rereading it anyway, but what was the situation at the end of New Waves?

I think the last major plot point I remember was the one Sun Woo elder eating it in the failed sting at the school?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

I'm going to end up rereading it anyway, but what was the situation at the end of New Waves?

I think the last major plot point I remember was the one Sun Woo elder eating it in the failed sting at the school?
So a bunch of stuff happened, but basically:
After Chun-Woo (9dragon) faces off against Alliance Chief Kang-Sung with his new cadre, Kang-Sung (secretly dying) decides to make the protagonist Shi-Woon the new Alliance Chief. After some more training, Shi-Woon is finally prepared to go against his former master, who is now trying to unveil the Murim upon the world by threatening to blow up Seoul. During the ensuing fight, the main Sun Woo Elder Jae pulls a thanatos gambit to free Shi-Woon of 9dragon's influence, sacrificing himself against 9dragon. The gambit works, and Shi-Woon goes Black Origin berserk screaming "GOONMOONRYUNG!!!" He still loses against 9dragon however, lacking proper killing intent (arms and legs broken but that's it). After the battle, during Shi-Woon's recovery, the Masked Man tries to assassinate him, when who stomps on his head but The Bearded Ex-Chief from Part 1, who proclaims he will teach Shi-Woon how to kill.

Lastly, So-Sul is returning while Shi-Ho REVIVES AT THE LAB.

I'm running off of 7-year old memories, feel free to correct me.

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Feb 12, 2021

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Grouchio posted:

So a bunch of stuff happened, but basically:
After Chun-Woo (9dragon) faces off against Alliance Chief Kang-Sung with his new cadre, Kang-Sung (secretly dying) decides to make the protagonist Shi-Woon the new Alliance Chief. After some more training, Shi-Woon is finally prepared to go against his former master, who is now trying to unveil the Murim upon the world by threatening to blow up Seoul. During the ensuing fight, the main Sun Woo Elder Jae pulls a thanatos gambit to free Shi-Woon of 9dragon's influence, sacrificing himself against 9dragon. The gambit works, and Shi-Woon goes Black Origin berserk screaming "GOONMOONRYUNG!!!" He still loses against 9dragon however, lacking proper killing intent (arms and legs broken but that's it). After the battle, during Shi-Woon's recovery, the Masked Man tries to assassinate him, when who stomps on his head but The Bearded Ex-Chief from Part 1, who proclaims he will teach Shi-Woon how to kill.

Lastly, So-Sul is returning while Shi-Ho REVIVES AT THE LAB.

I'm running off of 7-year old memories, feel free to correct me.

This is more or less what I remember as well.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

This is the best news I've heard all day!

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Does anyone remember the New Waves chapter number for when Shioon escapes the government island thing and goes around beating up snipers?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

KittyEmpress posted:

Does anyone remember the New Waves chapter number for when Shioon escapes the government island thing and goes around beating up snipers?
Chapter 110. Recommended to the tune of Mike Oldfield's Nuclear.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
That's really good, yes, but probably my favorite moment (that I can remember off the top of my head, there are several) from New Waves is when Shiwoon goes alone into, like, an abandoned factory or something (or maybe he went with one of the hot girls lusting after his protagonist status idk?) and he's surrounded and he's like "Guess I still have some time until my body turns to ash" and all the martial artists around him pop boners for his FIGHTING POTENTIAL

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Mine is elder Kwon jumping out of a helicopter in mid air and then destroying a bunch of special forces dudes. Basically all the old man fights in this are the poo poo.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Gologle posted:

That's really good, yes, but probably my favorite moment (that I can remember off the top of my head, there are several) from New Waves is when Shiwoon goes alone into, like, an abandoned factory or something (or maybe he went with one of the hot girls lusting after his protagonist status idk?) and he's surrounded and he's like "Guess I still have some time until my body turns to ash" and all the martial artists around him pop boners for his FIGHTING POTENTIAL

He was kidnapped by the hobo doctor and the hot girl came and rescued him. She gets stabbed by hobo doctor escaping and Shiwoon does as he does.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the breaker never really had a great story, but it did individual badass scenes amazingly well.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I do remember that when the original Breaker and New Waves were unfinished there were TONS of complaints about the pacing. I expect it will still be the same when part 3 starts.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I think one of the issues with The Breaker S2 was that it was operating on manhwa format despite moving to a webtoon platform, and I believe the creators stated that S3 would be in webtoon format instead.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
The Breaker (even moreso New Waves) had a lot of slow buildup for relatively short payoffs but I still really like it because I'm a sucker for potential and growth stories

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Shioon is basically a guy who is just extremely lucky that he was granted the ability to survive terrible injuries. New Waves basically consists of him repeatedly doing things that would have killed him if not for him having super-healing.

I hope that at some point we get to see the fat Sunwoo elder fight. I don't think we ever get to see any of the Sunwoo elders other than the grandfather fight.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

The pacing could be off but there are so many mangas with worse pacing Breaker never stood out to me as bad in that regard.

I reread it about 2 years ago and still enjoyed it a lot.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Btw anyone else enjoying Viral Hit?

Genuine lols from it a few times now.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Burning Effect ended last Sunday*.

Was a great ride.

Now I only have 1 Daum webtoon to read. Thankfully Naver still has a ton of good poo poo.

*Technically a few weeks before the final chapter becomes freely available to read, with an epilogue and author's afternotes to come after the final chapter becomes free.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Peerless Dad going on break till June 28th or so for the artist's health.

Chapter 166 is the last released chapter for 3 months.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Peerless Dad going on break till June 28th or so for the artist's health.

Chapter 166 is the last released chapter for 3 months.

That's a real bummer I love the series but glad the artist is taking off for their health.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

That Works posted:

Btw anyone else enjoying Viral Hit?

Genuine lols from it a few times now.

I recently picked it up after someone recommended it to me as "Holyland but streamers" and really like it. The live comments during the streams is what really makes it imo.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Zerilan posted:

I recently picked it up after someone recommended it to me as "Holyland but streamers" and really like it. The live comments during the streams is what really makes it imo.

Yup they are freaking hilarious

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i finally remembered what the series i brought up whenever i did, i thought it was this year itt but it seems not, was and its a series that goes bad surprisingly fast in Tale of Eun Aran

Jose posted:

Bit of a longshot here but I have half remembered what I think was a webcomic I read a couple of years ago. Some sort of super power martial arts series where the main character unexpectedly(?) Gains a power way too much for him or something and ends up being forced to live with some martial arts family who are possibly feuding with another?

i was sure i had a poster way more recent than this about it but maybe not?

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

Holy poo poo, The Breaker returning takes me straight back to when I read the first volume and started New Waves when it had just started and was one of my weekly releases. I wonder if Naruto had even ended back then, it seems like a different era.

I might cross post this to the shonen thread because it gets more traffic and I saw a few people post about it there, but this is definitely where it belongs:

Chapter 89 of Fight Class 3 released a few days ago and it's also VERY LONG. I glance at the raws now and again and the 90th chapter is already on its 6th segment (mangaka releases weekly segments on naver, chapter length in segments varies, and scanlators only release when a chapter is fully complete) so it will probably be scanlated before too long as well.

It continues to be insane.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
GOSU is a story about revenge at it's core, and the most recent chapter is one of the best instances in the story really. Just killing the guy before you even sit down and watching his corpse slowly realize what happened

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Tosk posted:

Holy poo poo, The Breaker returning takes me straight back to when I read the first volume and started New Waves when it had just started and was one of my weekly releases. I wonder if Naruto had even ended back then, it seems like a different era.

I might cross post this to the shonen thread because it gets more traffic and I saw a few people post about it there, but this is definitely where it belongs:

Chapter 89 of Fight Class 3 released a few days ago and it's also VERY LONG. I glance at the raws now and again and the 90th chapter is already on its 6th segment (mangaka releases weekly segments on naver, chapter length in segments varies, and scanlators only release when a chapter is fully complete) so it will probably be scanlated before too long as well.

It continues to be insane.

Do we know exactly when the breaker is coming back? Also fight class 3 started really interesting and then the main character seem to go super evil really really quickly I don't know if I really liked the whole tone shift of the character in the most recent arc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

Not sure re: return of The Breaker.

As far as FC3, I agree, but I'm withholding judgment till I see how the arc resolves itself.