Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Midgetskydiver posted:

Can you elaborate on how to raise this? Mine seems to be capped at 5

Fires and build all the things in the cosmetics tab or whatever it's called in the building menu. A few items don't do anything, like weapon stands, and duplicate things don't stack. You'll unlock more things as you progress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Midgetskydiver posted:

I believe each unique piece of furniture increases your comfort level. For example, laying down 1 deerskin rug will increase your comfort level by 1 point. But adding a second won't do anything. I don't know if there's a radius on each item, though.

E: Beaten.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Inzombiac posted:

Well, killed the first boss while wearing nothing but the starter tunic and using a little knife.

Game easy.

I had a big dumdum moment in the beginning and didn't realise the hammer was a building tool. So I just bruteforced Eikthyr with nothing but a stone axe, some berries and mushrooms and repeated respawning at the starting circle. :v:

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Midgetskydiver posted:

Comfort items would be sconces, campfires, bed, chairs, table, hearth etc all it the same area.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
im trying so drat hard to find another serpent but the fuckers are afraid it seems

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Given the ties Viking aesthetics have to white supremacist culture, it doesn't feel right to be discussing a game that celebrates them in the wake of a near takeover of the United States by nazis.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
lol

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
This is one of those games where I keep looking at the videos and I have no idea if I'm going to enjoy it.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!

LostRook posted:

Given the ties Viking aesthetics have to white supremacist culture, it doesn't feel right to be discussing a game that celebrates them in the wake of a near takeover of the United States by nazis.

First they came for the OK sign, and I didn't speak up....

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

finished up my nice path

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

God drat, mountain biome is intense. I love it.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

A buddy jumped in my game and we headed over to the black forest for the first time.

I am not at all prepared for the swarms of baddies.
Though I got some skeletons to fight a shaman and that was a hoot.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
Playing on a rented server with a couple of friends is the way to go, if you can swing it. The game is really pretty, it doesn’t quite translate in screenshots, but there’s a lot of really nice animation and effects.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Where do you find a good deal on a rented server? I've always had a mind to cobble together my own server, but I can't really afford the hardware at the moment.

Fake Name
Mar 6, 2009

"Han Solo, ha. If I'm around, you don't need that guy."
I've got one for me and a couple of friends on g-portal - no idea if thats the best value but it was very easy to set up. Definitely more fun if you cam all just pop on at any time and if no one else is around just explore or build up your little town.

Just got done with the 2nd boss and portals are a game changer

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Is there a list of what the various status effects actually do somewhere?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

LostRook posted:

It's a Swedish studio, this is literally based on their mythology. The world isn't based around America, lol. gently caress off.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

hmm, seems the game includes tiki torches??

problematic imo

thark
Mar 3, 2008

bork

dogstile posted:

It's a Swedish studio, this is literally based on their mythology. The world isn't based around America, lol. gently caress off.

To be fair, neonazis tend to have a hardon for the Our Glorious Viking Heritage over here. But if you're going to not cover any part of history that nationalists somewhere are into you're going to be pretty limited. Also not like the game features Our Glorious Forefathers Raiding The Weak Southron or whatever.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

It uses Viking mythology as a theme — and pretty loosely at that. It's like a Saturday morning cartoon representation of Viking culture filtered through lovely metal music.

There aren't really any historical elements present that you could hitch your Volkswagen to.

You can also make your Viking black as night. Which of course isn't a perfect assurance that the devs aren't Nazis. But probably they're not, you know?

Fake Name posted:

I've got one for me and a couple of friends on g-portal - no idea if thats the best value but it was very easy to set up. Definitely more fun if you cam all just pop on at any time and if no one else is around just explore or build up your little town.

Just got done with the 2nd boss and portals are a game changer
Thanks! I'll check it out.

Azmund
Mar 27, 2010

anatomi posted:

Where do you find a good deal on a rented server? I've always had a mind to cobble together my own server, but I can't really afford the hardware at the moment.
I am also using g-portal and it's working fine. Used FTP to upload my world to it with no problems. I tried Citadel Servers first and it was a trash heap, didn't work at all.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Weird, we tried G-Portal and it wasn't displaying and when we asked for help we just had some german guy reply "ok, refund" and gave us the money back, so we switched :v:

Gort posted:

Is there a list of what the various status effects actually do somewhere?

There's a screen in game that can let you see current effects, but i'm not by a PC that has the game installed so I can't tell you which one it is.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
About how resource intensive is running a dedicated server?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

LostRook posted:

Oh wow Jack Thompson has a forums account, thats cool

Lincolnstein
Sep 10, 2007

I might just be a baby but the poison tick from a slime is a little harsh, and I loving hate them. :)

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Lincolnstein posted:

I might just be a baby but the poison tick from a slime is a little harsh, and I loving hate them. :)

Poison resistance mead is your friend for loving with the swamp.

Azmund
Mar 27, 2010

dogstile posted:

Weird, we tried G-Portal and it wasn't displaying and when we asked for help we just had some german guy reply "ok, refund" and gave us the money back, so we switched :v:
That actually reminds me that isn't perfect I guess, we join via the Steam servers list instead of the in-game interface because it didn't show up there.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

If you're wondering "should I play this game?" I think the best way to describe it as a survival game that's akin to a legacy board gam. It's most enjoyable when played from the start with a small, consistent group of people (4-8) playing on a persistent map working towards the same goal. There are other ways to play, i.e. jumping in for a session on other's servers, or solo, but they are both not optimal and cause you to miss out on the best parts of the game.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Lincolnstein posted:

no, poison is the worst and the swamp is the worst because of it

leeches will get you too, so be careful about stepping your feet in the water

third boss cheese strat: the third boss is a slime, so they're technically weak to blunt like most things in the swamp. An iron mace will do well, but an iron hammer keeps you out of reach. Or you can opt not to do the iron grind and do some trips to your local mountain first and make stacks of frost arrows, which do full damage+. Given it's literally the lovely dark souls 2 boss and also in the poo poo hole of the swamp, just... get the frost arrows.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

LostRook posted:

We are absolutely not going to do this bullshit in this thread. There's an A/T thread on Norse Paganism (LINK) that is run by modern day practitioners who are very much anti-white supremacist and hate those fuckers as much as you or I do and it sucks that assholes are appropriating their religion and their traditions to spew hate. Please do not imply or hint that people liking the Viking survival game are Nazis.

Lincolnstein
Sep 10, 2007

Spanish Matlock posted:

Poison resistance mead is your friend for loving with the swamp.

I had totally forgot about that, stocking up on that with some sausages now, thank you! It was just funny to make it without a death until a slime came and kicked my rear end in two seconds.

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
My favourite silly touch so far is being able to parry projectiles and have it stagger the shooter. I found it pretty useful for doing meaningful damage to skeleton archers early on.

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010
Friend was in the middle of the ocean for some reason on a raft, asked for a pickup and 2 of us went to scoop him up in the Karve. Shortly after we encountered our first Serpent and got chased to a nearby Swamp, got stuck between some trees and all of us got demolished by the swamp mobs, losing p much all our poo poo on us.

Came up with the greatest idea to make another Raft real fast and go back and get our poo poo. Made it halfway when we heard that Serpent screech.

12/10 will try again

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

Wallrod posted:

My favourite silly touch so far is being able to parry projectiles and have it stagger the shooter. I found it pretty useful for doing meaningful damage to skeleton archers early on.

What is the parry system? Just Block right when they attack?

edit: Even without parry I've found the combat to be pretty easy on solo. The dodge iframes are very generous.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Just as they're about to hit you, it'll make a stagger happen.

Granted i'm using a form of tower shield, so you literally can't parry with it. Make your your actual shield has parry on its stats.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Yeah parrying owns. Any hit on a staggering enemy is an automatic critical hit, so the smaller shields are great because they have a more generous parry window (I think).

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

We are absolutely not going to do this bullshit in this thread. There's an A/T thread on Norse Paganism (LINK) that is run by modern day practitioners who are very much anti-white supremacist and hate those fuckers as much as you or I do and it sucks that assholes are appropriating their religion and their traditions to spew hate. Please do not imply or hint that people liking the Viking survival game are Nazis.

Thank you. I'm not a practicing person or anything myself, but I think Norse mythology is cool, and it loving infuriates me that nazi scumfucks have latched onto it trying to appropriate it.

Not gonna say any more on this, just wanted to say thanks for stepping in.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Feb 12, 2021

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.
Yeah parry is really great. I almost exclusively use it co's dodging is really awkard with kb+mouse since you have to hold block then wasd+space and I can never get my muscle memory to do it.

Also, I'm having a great time solo so far. As long as you take your time and don't mind the grind it is just great fun.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

Gleichheit soll gedeihen

Zerilan posted:

About how resource intensive is running a dedicated server?

It's not very resource intensive at all and, like most things in Valheim, works unnervingly well for an early access game. I've been running a dedicated server on the same computer I play on for about a week with up to 8 concurrent players and around 15 total unique players. It hovers around 3 GB memory max and the CPU utilization is negligibly light on a first generation Ryzen. Playing on the same machine I don't notice any performance differences between my server or playing in a non-dedicated co-op instance, meaning performance is basically the same as single player except for very, very occasional wonkiness which resolves spontaneously or after a logout/login.

I followed https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2383801614 to set the server up. There's also an official PDF manual downloaded with the dedicated server from steam. There are also probably better/more updated guides on the Discord. The developers and helpers in the Discord also seem pretty keen on answering questions/keeping pinned stuff up to date.

The only real issues I've had are with friends actually finding and joining the server. The in game server browser is pretty fucky. What I've had my friends do is find my server through the Steam client server browser. If they're friends with me, they can just go through the top menu View -> Servers -> Friends, mine will show up (hopefully), then they can add to favorites or join from there. Sometimes they can join on me or other people in the server through steam's friends list. There are other ways to join if that all doesn't work. It should all be pinned in the Valheim Discord.

You'll also want to make sure you end the dedicated server gracefully (CTRL+C in the server prompt, among other options) and keep backups (.../AppData/LocalLow/IronGate/Valheim) as there have been reports of worlds being wiped.

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Fart Car '97 posted:

If you're wondering "should I play this game?" I think the best way to describe it as a survival game that's akin to a legacy board gam. It's most enjoyable when played from the start with a small, consistent group of people (4-8) playing on a persistent map working towards the same goal. There are other ways to play, i.e. jumping in for a session on other's servers, or solo, but they are both not optimal and cause you to miss out on the best parts of the game.

I think its also important to point out the game is VERY forgiving. Repairing items takes no resources (thank goodnesss for that) and if you want to move something you've built you can destroy the item and get all the crafting materials refunded. This has been huge for me, because it used all the surtling cores my island has on smelters and kilns in a pretty bad location.

Thanks to quick and easy disasemmbly and a cart I was able to just move my entire base to a newer, bigger location for free!

*EDIT Question; I built a new larger base, its flat roofed with support beams to hold up the roof. I made a bunch of half wall windows to you know, make it plesent. Well I just had a rain storm and now my entire structure is at half health. Is it because the windows? Or does wood have to be protected by actual "Roof" materials?

NuckmasterJ fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Feb 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
Yeah, the dodge roll is really clunky controls-wise, but i found that it is REALLY generous for timing - you can roll straight through enemy weapon swings, so it's great if you know you'll be caught by a big swing. The combat is definitely not as refined as dark souls, but between the poise-break stagger, parrying, stamina management, and dodge rolls, they clearly cribbed heavily from it. Unfortunately they also carried over the idea of giving stats numbers but not defining exactly what they mean, i'm still a bit unsure about some of the weapon stats for example.