Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Macaluso posted:

I don't like Scooby Doo either. It was always really ugly to me. I hate Scooby's design. I appreciate the new stuff trying to make Velma, Fred and Daphne into actual characters, but I still don't like looking at Scooby and his awful face

They designed scooby doo by looking in the dog show manual for the best Great Dane then making him the opposite in every category. That is why he has a weird hump back in early series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Macaluso posted:

Just a terrible creature. Hideous gross monster. Marmaduke lookin rear end bitch
:lol:

That reminds me. Dog CGI's come a long way since and they managed to make Clifford look like an actual dog for the movie coming up

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

woah dude get a maxi

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Compare and contrast two direct to video spinoff/spiritual sequels from almost the same time:

Bartok the Magnificent (1999)
- poo poo, but memorable
- kinda catchy songs
- hilarious transformation fetish musical number
- pops with colour in every frame
- pretty good vocal performances across the board even though I hate Hank Azaria’s shtick
- Tim Curry is a giant skull doorway that asks riddles
- a goddam bat and bear on an adventure to get magical artifacts for the real actual Baba Yaga so that they can uncover a plot by a wicked regent who has a voluptuous macro dragon fursona that she turns into at the end, oh and it’s also tsarist russian history

Joseph: King of Dreams (2000)
- competent, but boring as batshit
- songs completely dull and unmemorable, I would have preferred the Andrew Lloyd Webber music
- okay dream sequences I guess
- mostly orange and brown colour scheme through whole movie
- I couldn’t pick out any famous voices, Mark Hamill was Judah but he was phoning it in
- wants to be The Prince of Egypt
- lame bible poo poo, not even drawing from the good horror stuff from the bible, just a boring morality fable

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Hedrigall posted:

Joseph: King of Dreams (2000)
- competent, but boring as batshit
- songs completely dull and unmemorable, I would have preferred the Andrew Lloyd Webber music
- okay dream sequences I guess
- mostly orange and brown colour scheme through whole movie
- I couldn’t pick out any famous voices, Mark Hamill was Judah but he was phoning it in
- wants to be The Prince of Egypt
- lame bible poo poo, not even drawing from the good horror stuff from the bible, just a boring morality fable

-Its not the film version of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat starring Donny Osmond

https://twitter.com/JosephsMemecoat/status/1298130427031326720?s=20

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I should say, putting aside character design and colour and all that, both films have pretty excellent hand drawn animation for direct to video productions.

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Scooby-Doo needs to bring back the pick pocket kid from the one with Vincent Price

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Just got a press release about this, looks pretty neat:

quote:

NY/LA-based arthouse genre sales company Yellow Veil Pictures have acquired world sales rights on THE SPINE OF NIGHT from directors Philip Gelatt and Morgan Galen King and producers Will Battersby, Philip Gelatt, and Jean Rattle. The movie is set to world premiere as part of the SXSW Midnighters section, taking place virtually next month.

THE SPINE OF NIGHT is an ultra-violent, hand-rotoscoped epic fantasy inspired by the cult classic works of animators Ralph Bakshi and Frank Franzetta. The film is set in a fantasy land ripe with magic and intrigue where a dark force is unleashed sending mankind into an age of ruin. It falls on heroes from different eras and cultures to fight back, and stars Richard E. Grant (STAR WARS: THE RISE OF SKYWALKER, BRAM STOKER’S DRACULA), Lucy Lawless (Ash Vs. Evil Dead, Xena: Warrior Princess), Patton Oswalt (THE SECRET LIFE OF PETS 2, Parks and Recreation), Betty Gabriel (GET OUT, UPGRADE), and Joe Manganiello (JUSTICE LEAGUE, SPIDER-MAN), also featuring Abby Savage (Orange Is The New Black), and Larry Fessenden (THE DEAD DON’T DIE, DEPRAVED) and Rob McClure.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

They designed scooby doo by looking in the dog show manual for the best Great Dane then making him the opposite in every category. That is why he has a weird hump back in early series

You know, that explains a lot. Great Danes are already weird looking dogs, and I think they figured that the weirder and uglier he looked, the more appealing he'd be. And it fits his personality perfectly.

Schwarzwald posted:

Fifties and sixties stereotypes nothin'. "Straitlaced college kids do good and solve mysteries" were Stratemeyer Syndicate cliches that were already old when Chuck Jones parodied them in The Dover Boys.

At this point they're basically aspirational as young people who actually have free time and can travel as they please.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

:oh:

My childhood dog was a Great Dane that looked exactly like Scooby Doo minus the cropped ears.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

Detective No. 27 posted:

:oh:

My childhood dog was a Great Dane that looked exactly like Scooby Doo minus the cropped ears.
there is absolutely no shame or harm in being the opposite of a pedigree show dog

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

flashy_mcflash posted:

Patton Oswalt (THE SECRET LIFE OF PETS 2, Parks and Recreation),
Weird choice of previous works.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

flashy_mcflash posted:

Just got a press release about this, looks pretty neat:

Some extreme Heavy Metal vibes here

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

perepelki posted:

there is absolutely no shame or harm in being the opposite of a pedigree show dog

Oh yeah definitely. I loved the hell out of that ugly dog.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

No wonder Scooby lives so long. Most pedigree show dogs are inbred to pieces.

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Purebred Scooby-Doo cost $18,000 and dies at age 4

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Bootleg Trunks posted:

Scooby-Doo needs to bring back the pick pocket kid from the one with Vincent Price

They did in the most recent 13 Ghosts movie.

It was...okay I suppose?

They intentionally avoided Scrappy talk at every chance they possibly could. The anti-Scrappy jokes from the crew is starting to get old. It’s like they don’t know how to do actual good character development for an old character some hated so they just poo poo-talk whenever possible.

Compare that to Webby from Ducktales. Some hated her original incarnation but the reboot makes her REALLY good and she has fans now (though some probably still can’t stand her).

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Bootleg Trunks posted:

Purebred Scooby-Doo cost $18,000 and dies at age 4

Yeah they don't live very long, sadly. Mine was a rescue.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

ThermoPhysical posted:

They did in the most recent 13 Ghosts movie.

It was...okay I suppose?

They intentionally avoided Scrappy talk at every chance they possibly could. The anti-Scrappy jokes from the crew is starting to get old. It’s like they don’t know how to do actual good character development for an old character some hated so they just poo poo-talk whenever possible.

Compare that to Webby from Ducktales. Some hated her original incarnation but the reboot makes her REALLY good and she has fans now (though some probably still can’t stand her).

Thing is that Webby is pretty much a completely different character for the most part, who has some similar roles but is in other ways pretty much inverted. (Mrs Beakley is even more different, being basically a kid-friendly grandma Brock Samson)

Scrappy's main issue is that ultimately, he doesn't really work as a character or in the ensemble, and he's nowhere near popular enough to actually be worth trying to fix.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

episode's monster turns out to be a pedigree great dane in a mask

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I think some of the old shows love to introduce Scooby's long-lost relatives as one-offs in one of those sitcom fashions that ends up with a hilariously large and complex family tree when you actually keep track of it.

I mean, they are dogs, but still.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Feb 12, 2021

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I remember one of the shows' intro sequences has Scooby hugging his like backwoods cousin who is even more ungainly and ugly.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Also reminded of the Batman Brave and the Bold/Scooby-Doo crossover movie, where one of the best collaborations between them is Batman actually remembering Scooby is a talking dog, who has both a superior canine sense of smell and the ability to understand and communicate what he smells in mostly understandable words.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

BioEnchanted posted:

Yay, someone liked my Texture essay :3:

Well you did give a shoutout to Fishguy and the Putty thing and thus the Mask cartoon. I have some pleasant memories attached to that.
Also, as a kid I always felt bad for Fishguy. Sure, he had some of it coming. But he's stuck. :(

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also reminded of the Batman Brave and the Bold/Scooby-Doo crossover movie, where one of the best collaborations between them is Batman actually remembering Scooby is a talking dog, who has both a superior canine sense of smell and the ability to understand and communicate what he smells in mostly understandable words.
Wait what? I really need to properly watch Brave and the bold at some point. Everything I've seen of it (just random eps) just makes me like it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Darth TNT posted:

Well you did give a shoutout to Fishguy and the Putty thing and thus the Mask cartoon. I have some pleasant memories attached to that.
Also, as a kid I always felt bad for Fishguy. Sure, he had some of it coming. But he's stuck. :(

Wait what? I really need to properly watch Brave and the bold at some point. Everything I've seen of it (just random eps) just makes me like it.

You really do. It's loving amazing. The movie I'm talking about actually came out way after the fact as a semi-standalone thing, though it's got the BatB versions of characters. (and just to make it confusing, it's not the first Scooby-Doo crossover even for the series)

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Did anyone watch mystery incorporated where the whole series ended up being a very anime backstory for why scooby can talk?

(there is interdimensional aliens that can't get to earth but during some universe conjunction thing that happens rarely can manipulate animals telepathically and mutate them, so they have been all the animalistic gods in human history, good and bad. The most evil alien made it to earth but got defeated by the other gods and put into a crystal under what became the town of crystal cove, then one of the other dog god things set up that they would watch over it forever, but since thousands of years had passed of breeding with regular dogs the descendants were just back to being mostly regular dogs again)

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Darth TNT posted:

BatB is *easily* as good as BtAS at times. Characterizations and interactions are top notch and it just exudes a joyful, positive vibe. It helps that Diedrich Bader's batman voice is drat fine as well.

Data Graham posted:

I remember one of the shows' intro sequences has Scooby hugging his like backwoods cousin who is even more ungainly and ugly.
That's the backwoods Scooby-Dum!

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I watched the creeper episode of the OG show and was pretty charmed. It's a very messily held together show conceptually and has more cartoonish antics than I remember. The creeper chases them on a horse! The creeper was a banker who was stealing from the bank and dressing up as a ghoul to scare people away!!! It's real good stuff. all 20 episodes.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Scooby-Doo is good dumb poo poo

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Darth TNT posted:

That's exactly why Eddie/Fish Guy is so dangerous - he plays on appearing pathetic with his constant whining of "Daaaaaaaaak... he's making *fun* of ME!" and whinging about not having real power, but that's just a facade he puts on so Dak/Putty Thing keeps cowtowing to him. He acts pathetic because it works. When he gets the mask he drops Dak like a bad penny and goes on a rampage solo, becoming an outright bully - because that's what Eddie IS. A bully. A manipulative little narcissist who makes people their worst selves. It worked on Dak, and it worked on the audience of children watching him, but any adult watching would notice the manipulations inherent in his actions and realise that it's a waste of pity. It's Putty Thing who'll never make anything of himself because Eddie keeps him on a bad path. Dak is the Victim.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Feb 12, 2021

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
It is hard to hate a cheap cartoon, and very easy to dislike anything with a budget

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Brave and the bold has the best Aquaman to date.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Bootleg Trunks posted:

Brave and the bold has the best Aquaman to date.
One of the best Batman depictions, too, since he regularly works with others and has a network of support and respect.

It's like they blended Silver Age Batman, BtAS and the Adam West Batman and created a fun kids show. They even do Emperor Joker at one point!

FunkyAl posted:

I watched the creeper episode of the OG show and was pretty charmed.
Yeah the designs are pretty good considering they're one-and-done things. The Spooky Space Kook is a floating skull in a space suit with a light-up done when it laughs! Charlie the Robot is some weird featureless robot with light up eyes!

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

FilthyImp posted:

One of the best Batman depictions, too, since he regularly works with others and has a network of support and respect.

It's like they blended Silver Age Batman, BtAS and the Adam West Batman and created a fun kids show. They even do Emperor Joker at one point!

That did stand out to me right away. It was weird to hear batman talk about how thankful he is to have whoever the guest hero was along for the episode.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

FunkyAl posted:

It is hard to hate a cheap cartoon, and very easy to dislike anything with a budget
https://twitter.com/DanManShow/status/1360263537558388736

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/mbirdini/status/1238613781284085760

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

12 Oz Mouse is genuinely art.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
The only time I enjoyed 12oz mouse was while robotripping, thats my only opinion of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Pick posted:

Scooby Doo is like one of the worst original properties ever invented by mankind and I cannot understand why it of all things seems to constantly get reboots

I will fight you.