Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Holy poo poo Grillo is 55. Goddamn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Read the interview and Grillo does really come off as the USA counterpart to Adkins, right down to the pride in making great scenes with minimal resources and enjoying flexing his acting muscles. Can't believe they haven't done something together yet.

I would die for a Grillo/Adkins team up.

Anyone who likes Grillo should watch Kingdom. Good MMA fights in it and a great performance by Jonathan Tucker.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

You bring up an interesting point, something I hadn't considered.

Has anyone seen these two actors in the same place, at the same time?

Frustrated with being unable to penetrate the American action market, Scott Adkins Mrs. Doubtfires himself into an American actor...

Maybe I have it backwards?

We've all seen Adkins various attempts at an American accent so this seems unlikely. Unless it's all a part of the ruse...

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
His Russian accent teeters the edge of being a legit hate crime.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Taintrunner posted:

Holy poo poo Grillo is 55. Goddamn.

Yeah I checked to see the age discrepancy after they individually fought wu jing in wolf warrior (adkins) and wolf warrior 2 (grillo). I was surprised at the gap

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

drat, and I thought the Frank Grillo era was coming to an end. The guy isn't getting any younger after all. Good for him.

He's ripped to gills and on a fuckload of gear even as his skin gets a lot more leathery. 55 is simultaneously 26 and 73 in action movie star years.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
It's funny to see how Kumail Nanjiani looks now after his transformation. Dude has big time HGH face. Sorry, I know the money is good but I just couldn't bring myself to change my appearance to get jacked.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I could. Shoot me up hollywood docs

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I am probably being too harsh. He still looks like himself, but his face is different looking, and not from the weight loss.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

mastershakeman posted:

Yeah I checked to see the age discrepancy after they individually fought wu jing in wolf warrior (adkins) and wolf warrior 2 (grillo). I was surprised at the gap

Wait a minute...

Adkins and Grillo in a Father and Son action comedy!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

It's funny to see how Kumail Nanjiani looks now after his transformation. Dude has big time HGH face. Sorry, I know the money is good but I just couldn't bring myself to change my appearance to get jacked.

It's obvious he's on performance enhancers but how much of that is just a hush hush thing in Hollywood that they push vs an actor themselves going out and finding someone so they can fit a particular part?

Like if I got a part in a film but they wanted me to be juicier do you think they'd tell me outright that they plan to juice me or just heavily hint? I'm intrigued.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
For the weekend, my Letterboxd review of Terror in Beverly Hills (1989):

When your film can't afford Frank Stallone for its whole run-time, you've got problems.

A group of Middle Eastern terrorists led by Abdul (Behrouz Vossoughi) travel to Los Angeles in order to kidnap Margaret (Lysa Heslov), the daughter of the President of the United States, and ransom her to get the Israeli government to release 55 Arab prisoners. But the President activates Hack Stone (Frank Stallone), a former Special Forces soldier who knows Abdul from when they were both CIA operatives.

This is one of the lowest-effort films I've seen, from the fact that a film advertising itself as being set in Beverly Hills mostly takes place in an abandoned bean factory, to a lack of muzzle flash from guns, to Stallone only really turning up about 20 minutes from the end. The amount of casual racism seems egregious, even for a film from 30 years ago.

High points here are few and far between, with a couple of moments of action-film absurdity, including the way that Abdul is ultimately defeated. A special mention has to go to Cameron Mitchell as the angry police chief, a stock character for 80s action films, but whose performance here is energised by his palpable sense of rage at the film's makers, its audience, God, and himself.

The trailer can be seen here.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Olympic Mathlete posted:

It's obvious he's on performance enhancers but how much of that is just a hush hush thing in Hollywood that they push vs an actor themselves going out and finding someone so they can fit a particular part?

Like if I got a part in a film but they wanted me to be juicier do you think they'd tell me outright that they plan to juice me or just heavily hint? I'm intrigued.

Seems to me that doctors and trainers other performers have used would be the way to go, I'd assume that would all be handled by an agent.

Steroids don't have the same effect on everyone and the testosterone he was on is what's widened his jaw. You can see other exaggerated jawlines in plenty of athletes out there.

I think it's accepted that the marvel guys have a certain look, even Mark ruffalo is in considerably better shape than he used to be and he's mostly CG. Paul Rudd too. And RDJ I guess.

It's a huge burden to put on actors and I kinda blame 300.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Adam Wingard is doing a direct sequel (not a remake/reboot as had been rumored) to Face/Off

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

flashy_mcflash posted:

Adam Wingard is doing a direct sequel (not a remake/reboot as had been rumored) to Face/Off

I say this with no disrespect to Wingard: it should be John Woo. At the minimum they need his blessing.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

I say this with no disrespect to Wingard: it should be John Woo. At the minimum they need his blessing.

Also they need 90’s Gina Gershon to approve, and appear in the film.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I would've loved for Woo to have returned back to Hong Kong and just remade all his US films.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Southpaugh posted:

It's a huge burden to put on actors and I kinda blame 300.

Arnold Schwarzenegger elbows Sly in the ribs as he points at this post.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Grendels Dad posted:

Arnold Schwarzenegger elbows Sly in the ribs as he points at this post.

Lol fair point but Bruce Willis had a career in action between the highlights of the extraordinarily muscle bound 80s and the more modern action stuff like 300. Loads of muscles used to be nice if you had them around the place but now everything seems to demand that look.

It's also just that steroids being relatively cheap and effective these days means you don't need to be Mr universe to have the look.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

The big body thing is because of comic books. Even in the 60s Superman was insanely ripped. We've now got the tech to actually make people look like that.

300 is a comic book movie. Snyder didn't make the actors juice or get hugely ripped for Sucker Punch or even Watchmen (where their ordinariness is part of the story).

thatfuturekid
Jan 5, 2014

flashy_mcflash posted:

I am very cautiously optimistic about this. I really love The Guest and You’re Next, and seem to be one of the few people that actually liked Death Note. Blair Witch aside, GvKK is looking good as well. Obviously I’d love to see him get a blessing from Woo and some cameos, but I am glad it’s not a remake. Makes it more interesting IMO

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

flashy_mcflash posted:

Ugh, i really, really don't like Wingard's work.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
A follow up to Face/Off is goi g to be difficult.
The original was three absolute masters of their craft getting together at the height of their careers behind the dumbest script they could find, strapping themselves in and screaming "LET'S loving GOOOOOOO" to make one of the most insane action movies ever made. That's a tough order for anyone.

David D. Davidson fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Feb 13, 2021

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I love Wingard's work and I think he and Barrett are perfect to write this. Obviously the whole thing hinges on who they get to play the leads though.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Just cast Dan Stevens in one of the roles and make it a shadow sequel to The Guest. It'd be perfect.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I see no reason not to just hire Cage and Travolta again.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
As long as they bring all the weird face touching back I’m in

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
French action movies. Let's talk about it. And I don't mean things like Ronin or Taken. Get outta here with that, I mean real French movies.

Like Revenge (2017). Rape-revenge flick about a resourceful sidepiece giving her douchebag married boyfriend and his friends some comeuppance. Brainy and brutal. Directed by Coralie Fargeat who has some things to say about the whole subgenre. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EZ59GR78i0

Our how about Brotherhood of the Wolf (2001)? If you thought Versus didn't have enough subgenres mixed together, wait till you get a load of this martial arts mystery period piece romance monster movie. Does Mark Decascos plays an Iroquois who knows kung fu? drat right he does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLcWuFjKZDQ

Brings me to Banlieue 13 (2004, aka District B13). You like parkour in action movies? Who doesn't. This is the movie that kicked that off. It stars a real life parkour pioneer and a stuntman, set in dystopian near-future Paris, in a plot that is so ridiculous it could only come from the pen of Luc Besson. I'm not a Besson fan, but I am a fan of athletic stunts, and this movie has a ton of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NziOzrmFvlw

Doberman (1997)/ Out of all the 90s movies that ripped off Tarantino, this is the weirdest. It's got over the top action, Vincent Cassel, Monica Bellucci, and  divisive humor beats. Maybe you'll laugh, maybe you won't, but you'll remember the crazy shots during the action sequences.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eijRyGWoSW4

Nid de guêpes (2002, aka The Nest). It's as Assault on Precinct 13 situation. I don't have the energy to describe the plot. But this is very cleverly filmed quick cut action movie, and that's rare enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnFwDv5em5c

And this is just to avoid talking about Luc Besson, who's movies (mostly produced through his EuropaCorp company) have dominated the French action scene for decades. I can't stand them, with their light comic tone and creepy young women-old men relationships, but it's hard to deny the impact left by his Taxi/Transporter/Taken series, and one-offs like The Professional and Unleashed.

dokmo fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Feb 13, 2021

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

quote:

but without the campiness.

Unless I watched the wrong clip just lol, like Bennett 2.0 was legendary

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
OH poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_9DtUew9Hc

ADKINS GOT IKO!!!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I thought Iko's English was much worse than that, I had assumed that was part of the reason Adkins didn't have him on yet.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Olympic Mathlete posted:

They say “x needs to put on about 20 lbs of muscle for the role” and leave it at that. The agent and actor then sort out how to make that happen.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Happy Valentine's Day

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=765933154342297

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Jimbot posted:

Just cast Dan Stevens in one of the roles and make it a shadow sequel to The Guest. It'd be perfect.

No thanks. I'd rather just have an actual sequel to The Guest.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

I watched blade ii a few weeks ago and was mad all over again at how they slapped some eyeliner on donnie yen, gave him literally nothing to do, then killed him off screen sent him home

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
He was one of the choreographers, I believe, so it might have been a situation where he was working on it, and then GDT just chucked him in the movie because he rules.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Narzack posted:

He was one of the choreographers, I believe, so it might have been a situation where he was working on it, and then GDT just chucked him in the movie because he rules.

I think that's exactly it.

(Brain: psst remember Highlander: Endgame?)

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

He posted a "thanks to the studio and trainers and" etc. that reminded me of when Mac got swole on Always Sunny. It must be cool to be paid to work out.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Narzack posted:

I'm not so sure. Wasn't he already a big star by 2002? He had already been starring in and directing his own movies for years by then. Would he really go back to just being a choreographer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
From an interview with Kung-Fu Cinema:

JL: Let's talk about your work in Blade 2. For this film, it seems that Wesley Snipes put together a kind of "dream team", using a director (Guillermo del Toro) known for stylish horror films, top comic book artists for the design crew, and the best, and edgiest, young Hong Kong action choreographer - you! Is Snipes a fan of yours?

DY: The director is a fan of mine! Del Toro called my agent, and said "I’m a big fan of Donnie, and there’s a role I want him to play in Blade 2." So I talked to him, and we talked about having me do the martial arts choreography too. Then we went to Wesley Snipes' house, and he's saying "Donnie, I love your movies." So we talked some more, and it ended up that the role I play is a cameo, really, - just a cameo. But from day one, my main job is martial arts choreographer.