Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

Dude I dare you to play Destiny 2

Destiny is worse!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I played so many years of destiny and at some point I had the forrest gump running moment where I'm like, I think I'm finished now and just went home

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Sounds like a story mission

You should just play random story missions

You mean the same story missions we get to do for dailys/weeklys/leagues/manhunts/just grinding XP/loot/whatever? Or the story missions that you do starting with a fresh character and which are still pretty easy once you've got high-level-play experience? (One of he boosted noobs I've been running WONY with did the Tombs without going down once, and I think in the final boss arena only had to use one armor kit.)

Change poo poo up - oh look, the Outcasts made a big play and took the Arena. Make it harder - generally I can run past activities if I keep some space, because the enemies are usually just whacking off or something; be a shame if your target did the same thing, but tossed a grenade as he left and now everyone's on high alert just as you arrive.

Speaking of changing things up and making it harder, I had a Learning Experience tonight: do not facetank a Heroic 3-Outcast bounty in the park area north of the White House with Scorpio's Furywall. Or at least, *I* shouldn't. :suicide:

Two Rogues and I'll have Ridgeway's Pride and another Zero Fs, though.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Bounties are by design meant to be quick activities you can do which is they they are structured the way they are. They are fine. It sounds like you want something in between a story missions and a bounty and that's not a bad idea either. It's a shame you can't replay side missions because some of them are fun.

edit: I I spent yesterday getting all the new WONY masks for that Hunter Killer. I'll probably never use it but the masks are cool.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

8 player raids were a mistake and they should've continued with the incursion concept.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Massive should really make the Trash Ninja's/Underground people their own faction (they already have their own Assault/Rusher/Tank/etc) and have them invade the Classified Missions (which would be open to every one). I don't know how many people bought the Deluxe version but for a ton of the casual players it would be completely new content.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

UnknownMercenary posted:

8 player raids were a mistake and they should've continued with the incursion concept.

Massive should make a 40-man raid :getin:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
Massive should give me a zombie-killing mode in a sprawling urban environment like they were so close to doing :argh:

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

https://twitter.com/TheDivisionGame/status/1360272533031944195?s=20

I think this means Division 3 is a ways off. Season 4 was supposed to be it, and I figured they intended to announce 3. I hope they explain things a bit more as to why they changed their minds and opted for more content instead of a new game.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Feb 12, 2021

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
Good, a new title for games as a service content is dumb AF

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Good, a new title for games as a service content is dumb AF

If they want to go down this route there's a lot of things that need overhauled IMO and they need a true next-gen version of it.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Jose Oquendo posted:

If they want to go down this route there's a lot of things that need overhauled IMO and they need a true next-gen version of it.

Can’t wait for div 3 to come out and look nice but redo a bunch of systems and make bad gameplay and mechanics choices that take years to unwind and get to slightly below par relative to late stage div2

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

To be fair, late stage Div 2 > late stage Div 1, except for the absence of Survival.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

For the most part, though there’s still some things Division 1 did better especially when it comes to stats and builds.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Early in development sounds like the team were told oh btw you’re doing more content for this poo poo last week.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

This just keeps proving that it's loving pointless to try and guess what game companies are going to do or what they will think is worth devoting money/resources to, especially for live games

I mean it was being assumed that the game was a disappointing flop and Ubi wanted it shut down ASAP and to start making Tom Clancy's Star Wars, but now it looks like Ubi is the one telling Massive to make more Division. So why bother trying to predict the future of anything

Roman fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Feb 12, 2021

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I don’t recall anything about Division 2 being a flop. I think GR:Breakpoint was the one I remember where Ubi admitted they hosed it up.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Jose Oquendo posted:

https://twitter.com/TheDivisionGame/status/1360272533031944195?s=20

I think this means Division 3 is a ways off. Season 4 was supposed to be it, and I figured they intended to announce 3. I hope they explain things a bit more as to why they changed their minds and opted for more content instead of a new game.
I doubt there's going to be any more plot. Hopefully this means Survival and a new DZ? Either way I guess I should finish this weak-rear end manhunt when League opens next week.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

If you don’t think they are just doing more manhunts then I don’t know what to tell you.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Going to be a half-assed content based on hunters that just re-uses the existing hunters but without the stupid Easter egg hunts you need to do for them.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Jose Oquendo posted:

I don’t recall anything about Division 2 being a flop. I think GR:Breakpoint was the one I remember where Ubi admitted they hosed it up.
it wasn't but lots of people assumed Div 2 was a flop because they were mad at it for whatever reason

game you don't like and/or are mad at = ded in gamerthink

Olds
Oct 17, 2005
Extending Division 2's lifespan makes sense to fill in the gaping hole in their release schedule with Avatar being delayed at least 2 years. None of Massive's other projects (including a possible Division 3) have any chance of being released before 2023, meaning without Division 2 they'd have a 2 year gap of releasing/supporting nothing.

Roman posted:

it wasn't but lots of people assumed Div 2 was a flop because they were mad at it for whatever reason

Their quarterly report that came with the press conference specifically mentioned that their back catalogue of games buoyed them in the last year; games like Just Dance, Far Cry 5, Brawlhalla, even Rainbow 6: Siege (which had their Invitational cancelled due to COVID). Conspicuously missing from either their press release or their original presentation on the call was any mention of Division 2. Take that as you will.

Olds fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Feb 12, 2021

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Does Division 2 even has poo poo to actually burn money in? all the apparel stuff is mostly poo poo

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
Div2 wasn’t a flop it just had an entirely hosed endgame and loot system for a very long time, which was annoying because div1 was still in a great spot when div2 launched.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Does Division 2 even has poo poo to actually burn money in? all the apparel stuff is mostly poo poo

you say this but I saw multiple people with very low SHD level - like literally too low to complete just one apparel event - wearing the RE event completion item, and at some point last year I read a call transcript talking about MTX doing well for Ubisoft and Division 2 was called out in the list.

so yeah it doesn't make sense to you or to me, but yes, people are buying apparel keys.

Roman posted:

div 2 had a rough as hell launch and it was called out in the same earnings call where the CEO/CFO basically admitted company-wide Ubi screwed up and launched the sequels too early; both Breakpoint and D2 underperformed, but not to the same extent. I find that kinda funny now since as much as div 2 is in a good spot right now (though we all have our list of flaws we'd like fixed, sure) the amount of work the Breakpoint team put in to fixing their title is truly incredible. Farther to go, etc, etc, but they did it. Good for em.

you are right though that a lot of people can't figure out "I don't like it" isn't the same as "it's dead/bad/etc"

Psion fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Feb 12, 2021

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

basically the best time to consider buying an ubi game is like a year after release

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Psion posted:

div 2 had a rough as hell launch and it was called out in the same earnings call where the CEO/CFO basically admitted company-wide Ubi screwed up and launched the sequels too early; both Breakpoint and D2 underperformed, but not to the same extent. I find that kinda funny now since as much as div 2 is in a good spot right now (though we all have our list of flaws we'd like fixed, sure) the amount of work the Breakpoint team put in to fixing their title is truly incredible. Farther to go, etc, etc, but they did it. Good for em.
I feel like Ubi-published broken games more often than not get fixed with some genuine contrition and enthusiasm. Siege wasn't a winner from day one either, and now look at it.

Contrast this with EA's Swedish developer and, well, :dice:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

FAUXTON posted:

basically the best time to consider buying an ubi game is like a year after release

Has always been my go to work the Creed games. Game + all DLC for 20-30? Sure!

Runaway Legs
Oct 11, 2012

Not a hat
Fun Shoe
Playing with a friend, we've just started doing the missions on challenging. It's probably the most intense fun I've ever had in an online game ever. I've had hours (adding up to days) of fun with D2 already, but pushing the difficulty up from hard was unexpectedly awesome.

We can't really be bothered with farming for specific builds and poo poo, so challenging is probably where we'll stay. But holy poo poo it's a blast.

I bought the game on sale just to see if it was fun just before the New York expansion. And as is the truth about ubi, by waiting a while after launch before buying is the safe strategy. Cheap and finally finished. Not sure if I'm able to hold my horses when D3 comes though.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Runaway Legs posted:

We can't really be bothered with farming for specific builds and poo poo, so challenging is probably where we'll stay. But holy poo poo it's a blast.

Why not? Spending a one or two hours in a zone with the targeted loot you want is pretty much guaranteed to give you the pieces you need to throw something “good enough” together.

Runaway Legs
Oct 11, 2012

Not a hat
Fun Shoe

Why not? Spending a one or two hours in a zone with the targeted loot you want is pretty much guaranteed to give you the pieces you need to throw something “good enough” together.

Dyslexia and ADHD, so figuring out what's what is a chore. Plus limited time to play. I've given it a shot, and I might get there some day, but for now it's an effort that's getting in the way of just having fun. I usually just look at the numbers, and if they're green I'll equip it.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Runaway Legs posted:

I bought the game on sale just to see if it was fun just before the New York expansion. And as is the truth about ubi, by waiting a while after launch before buying is the safe strategy. Cheap and finally finished.

Seen this a few times in this thread and it's important to note: This is the best strategy for literally every game. Almost all of them have problems in the first few months, everyone acts shocked when it happens like it doesn't happen every time and then 3 months later they forget and pre order again

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
I ran some main mission the other day on Challenging (solo) and had Hardwired drops the whole way through - that I immediately ground up for mats, because I already have full sets of perfect-optimized HW. :v:

Think at the end it was all but the chest piece, and multiple holsters/gloves.

Chewed some more Summit last night, for the STARS daily and the Summit weekly and then I said "gently caress it" and ground out a few more floors for challenges. Mostly trash to grind up, but then a Coyote, so worth it.

Doctor_Acula
May 24, 2011
Is there a good firewall/shield loadout?
I've been having fun popping the shield up and running in with a KSG and just racking off shells. But the amount of equipment/stat combos is really intimidating.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Doctor_Acula posted:

I've been having fun popping the shield up and running in with a KSG and just racking off shells. But the amount of equipment/stat combos is really intimidating.

Hunter Fury / Scorpio (or any shotgun) with Firewall shield is the way to go. Grabbing from the discord

Chest and backpack are the only pieces you really need to grind for (or settle for other talents in them) otherwise just go wherever HF is dropping and grab a set.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Hunter Fury / Scorpio (or any shotgun) with Firewall shield is the way to go. Grabbing from the discord

Chest and backpack are the only pieces you really need to grind for (or settle for other talents in them) otherwise just go wherever HF is dropping and grab a set.

Lol jfc

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I saw an interesting build on YouTube today for the Merciless.

Grupo chest piece w/Braced
Ceska backpack with composure
Fox's Prayer kneepads
Striker mask, holster, gloves

Red rolls on everything

Bottom line is when you're in cover, the Merciless turns into a rapid firing laser beam. It gives you 100% weapon handling which is wild.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Doctor_Acula posted:

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

To make the RNG easier on yourself the chest and backpack pieces for Hunters Fury are solid choices, just not optimal for MAXIMUM DAMAGE. Since the talent is fixed and there’s only 1 minor attribute the chest and backpack gear set pieces come much, much faster. Then you can use them while you suffer through the RNG to find something to replace them with :v:

Finding regular brands that don’t need a specific talent also goes much faster.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
If you're really just starting out on the build I'd suggest almost any ceska chest to start, because that CHC will serve you even if you aren't getting intimidate/adrenaline rush.

Another choice for backpacks is looking for Matador -- probably easier to farm than the exact grupo sombra piece you want. Or use Memento instead.

You can of course use a GS chest and Ceska backpack, it just depends on what drops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I use Memento on backpack for my HF layout and it works great as an extra source of armor (and a good dmg boost)