Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/Simon_Barrett/status/1360061154819792897

Face....ON

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Looten Plunder posted:

Agree on MBJ but Williams and Elba were multi season stars of the show and i'd argue everyone not named Dominic West that wasn't an amateur actor went on to do bigger things after The Wire.

I would love to hear this argument because for most its every now and then "hey its that guy from the Wire".

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Last thing I saw Bodie in was a fedex commercial like 10 years ago ._.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Andre Royo never got his due and he was loving outstanding. Jamie Hector disappeared tge last time i saw him was on No Reservations with Anthony Bourdain and MKW and he wasnt even called in he just happened to show up.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Jaime Hector is Bosch's partner.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
have never heard of it until the last twenty seconds

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Lid posted:

have never heard of it until the last twenty seconds

Trying to describe Bosch without it sounding terrible is very difficult because the premise is intensely generic. Everything about it is perfectly executed, though. Fantastic show.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

what if they swapped dicks

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Lid posted:

I would love to hear this argument because for most its every now and then "hey its that guy from the Wire".

OK I'll have a go:

We have the aformentioned Idris Elba, Michael K Williams and Michael B Jordan.

Aiden Gillen, Robert Wisdom, Clarke Peters, Lance Reddick, Wendell Pierce have all killed it since.

The guys that played D'Angelo, Herc and Carver have been prolific.

The bulk of the memorable Season 2 cast have all had big success (Frank Sobotka, Beadie, Ziggy and Nick Sobotka)

The only ones that probably didn't go on to bigger and better success are the people that played Bodie (apparantly he's been on a soap for the last 5 years though), Kima (was on 2 seasons of Body of Proof?), Prez and Bubbles (who as mentioned, has still had some decent parts)

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
You need to be a bit more specific than just throwing names out there and saying they went on to bigger better things.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Brother Mouzone was such a ridiculous character but I love it.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Lid posted:

You need to be a bit more specific than just throwing names out there and saying they went on to bigger better things.

We have the aformentioned Idris Elba, Michael K Williams and Michael B Jordan.
Surely I don't have to justify this

Aiden Gillen: Game of Thrones, Maze Runner, Peaky Blinders
Robert Wisdom: A ton of things, but Prison Break, Burn Notice, Nasville, Chicago PD, Ballers
Clarke Peters:Three Billboards outside Ebbing Missouri, Da 5 Bloods, Damages, Treme, Person of Interest
Lance Reddick: The John Wick franchise, One Night in Miami, Fringe, Bosch
Wendell Pierce: Treme, Suits, Ray Donovan, Michal J Fox Show, The Odd Couple, Chicago PD, Jack Ryan, several Broadway shows.

The guys that played D'Angelo: The Walking Dead, The Deuce, One Night in Miami
Herc: Public Enemies, The Irishman, Boardwalk Empire, Ray Donovan, Rosewood, Sneaky Pete, The Deuce
Carver: The Walking Dead

Frank Sobotka: Third Watch, Life on Mars, True Blood, For All Mankind, The Duece, American Crime Story, Survivor's Remorse, Numbers, Criminal Minds
Ziggy Sobotka: Sinister 1&2, It Chapter 2, Generation Kill, Bosch
Nick Sobotka: I know him from Weeds, American Gods and Lights Out and Orange is The New Black but he's also on the main case of 4 other shows since 2013
Beadie:The Office, In Treatment and has been nominated for about 50 stage show/musical awards including two Tony Awards

The only ones that probably didn't go on to bigger and better success are the people that played Bodie (apparantly he's been on a soap for the last 5 years though), Kima (was on 2 seasons of Body of Proof?), Prez and Bubbles (who as mentioned, has still had some decent parts)

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Lid posted:

Why? Someone like Gillen has a million loving good indie movies and Game of Thrones to his name. Do they all have to be listed? Lance Reddick popped all over the place. Fringe, John Wick, Bosch. Hell I remember people going off when he showed up in the Horizon: Forbidden West trailer. Dude is probably more well known to any given person for something not the Wire, and unquestionably all of those things had more people watching than the Wire. Even Bosch. Clarke Peters had a good run as a villain in Person of Interest, had a main character role in Treme, and has basically popped around the world doing cool parts in whatever he wants.

And on and on down that list.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Looten Plunder posted:

Bubbles (who as mentioned, has still had some decent parts)

More than decent -- he was a regular on a few different shows, but he seems to have fallen into being an Eric Roberts type of character actor. He's basically never stopped acting.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
When you talk about Lance Reddick how the gently caress do you not mention The Eric Andre Show or Corporate? I mean yeah, one of those was just a single appearance, but it was an ICONIC BLACK ROLE!

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Lance deserves to be in that top list

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Inspector 34 posted:

When you talk about Lance Reddick how the gently caress do you not mention The Eric Andre Show or Corporate? I mean yeah, one of those was just a single appearance, but it was an ICONIC BLACK ROLE!

I feel like bringing up "I wish I was LeVar Burton" overshadows all other conversation, as it's the current pinnacle of human achievement.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Seriously so many people in The Wire have moved on to other roles that it really makes me sad for the dude who played Bodie. I thought he killed it as that character and seeing how well everybody else did I'm a little surprised that he didn't find similar success.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I also loved him in Oz

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I have no idea who's going to be the go-to character actor for cute younger guys*, but when Evan Peters finally ages out of that role it will be a sad day indeed. He's a really strong character actor, and I've forgiven Ryan Murphy a lot for giving him so many opportunities to develop as an actor.

*I'm desperately trying to not sound creepy when I write this, but I can't think of any other way of phrasing this.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Mulva posted:

I feel like bringing up "I wish I was LeVar Burton" overshadows all other conversation, as it's the current pinnacle of human achievement.

Lance and LeVar for that face off sequel thing, please.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Inspector 34 posted:

When you talk about Lance Reddick how the gently caress do you not mention The Guest

:hai:

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?
If you're bringing up actors from the Wire who's careers took off, you can't forget Chad Coleman (Cutty) who had major roles in Walking Dead, The Expanse, and recurring roles in the Orville and It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

Deadwood also kicked off a fuckton of careers but unlike the Wire its cast almost universally stayed in TV.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

If you wanna get real sad catch up on the avtor who played Snoop

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CPFortest posted:

If you're bringing up actors from the Wire who's careers took off, you can't forget Chad Coleman (Cutty) who had major roles in Walking Dead, The Expanse, and recurring roles in the Orville and It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

Deadwood also kicked off a fuckton of careers but unlike the Wire its cast almost universally stayed in TV.

Oh poo poo, I somehow never realized he was Klyden.

Or Coach in L4D2, apparently :eyepop:.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

The only person that even comes to mind today when I read "hey, its that guy from The Wire" is Isiah Whitlock Jr. and really only because he is still doing the sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeittttttttttttttttttt thing in half his roles some 20 years later.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Shageletic posted:

If you wanna get real sad catch up on the avtor who played Snoop

Why is this? I thought she'd done pretty well for herself post The Wire.

Edit: OK, she got arrested which isn't great but she's written a book, stayed out of jail, been in two Spike Lee movies, been on two seasons of a TV show, done a bunch of music stuff and done some charity stuff.

Pretty good job considering the lovely hand she was dealt earlier in life.

Looten Plunder fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Feb 12, 2021

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Looten Plunder posted:

Why is this? I thought she'd done pretty well for herself post The Wire.

Edit: OK, she got arrested which isn't great but she's written a book, stayed out of jail, been in two Spike Lee movies, been on two seasons of a TV show, done a bunch of music stuff and done some charity stuff.

Pretty good job considering the lovely hand she was dealt earlier in life.

When she was arrested, she was denied bail because the judge had watched The Wire and feared that her amazing acting abilities would allow her to change her personality and disappear into the crowds.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Felicia_Pearson posted:

At the first hearing after Pearson's arrest, Judge John Addison Howard denied her bail due to Pearson's acting ability, stating: "Well, you can change your appearance, I've seen the episodes of The Wire in which you appear. You look very different than you do here today, and I'm not talking about the jumpsuit, I'm talking about your general appearance."

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The only way to properly re-do Face/Off is to bring back Travolta and Cage but have them play the other role.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Sirotan posted:

The only person that even comes to mind today when I read "hey, its that guy from The Wire" is Isiah Whitlock Jr. and really only because he is still doing the sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeittttttttttttttttttt thing in half his roles some 20 years later.

https://twitter.com/isiahwhitlockjr/status/1340434459766779908?s=21

Nundizo
Feb 9, 2021
https://twitter.com/donaldglover/status/1324796791649435649

Still think about this tweet..

He really can't blame anyone when it does not meet or exceed these expectations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It will though

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Arist posted:

It will though

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Atlanta S1 and 2 were already as good as the Sopranos so I'm not seeing the problem

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

the sopranos isn't very good and atlanta is already very good so he's just stating the obvious.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

abelwingnut posted:

the sopranos isn't very good

Woah there buddy. You can't say stuff like that in public. You'll scare the fans.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Nundizo posted:

https://twitter.com/donaldglover/status/1324796791649435649

Still think about this tweet..

He really can't blame anyone when it does not meet or exceed these expectations.

Only saw the first couple of episodes and I'd put it above Sopranos, of which I barely finished the first episode a decade ago. Keep meaning to restart and finish Atlanta though.

I think knowing how Sopranos ends just kills the non-motivation I have to watch it. I know I could easily interpret it as him finally getting what's coming but if they're going to try and make me ride a mafia media with this character i want to see him ruined

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

abelwingnut posted:

the sopranos isn't very good

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I watched Sopranos fairly recently for the first time a couple years ago. Atlanta isn't as good. Namely because it doesn't have season long arcs per se. It's like a TV show made out of the Sopranos Pine Barren episode. Pretty cool, but fairly disconnected.

Sopranos makes you ruminate about toxic masculinity, toxic families, being toxic, etc. Atlanta doesn't have those aims I think (maybe I need to rewatch the eps).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i just hate all media that revolves around the mob or mafia or whatever. v :) v

it's so cheesy and tired and stupid.