Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

As Nero Danced posted:

Well, they finally revealed the mystery that people solved before they even introduced the mystery.
Was that the comics new green ranger thing??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

FilthyImp posted:

Was that the comics new green ranger thing??

Yeah, they finally revealed the identity in the last page, but it's the person everyone suspected.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Larryb posted:

I forget, what was the Ohranger explanation for why the Blue Ranger went after Mondo’s counterpart alone?

Being young and stupid. They did an "observe the viewing globe" kind of thing and he was tilted by the slightest baiting in giant mondo's videocall. Red was like "uh, we should think for a moment first" and everyone else agreed but blue was like "why, these new robots that debuted last episode are invincible!" and then ran out. On the whole that is really actually even dumber than Rocky's "no time to call anyone, gotta protect the people by myself" excuse.

But I have also found that when it comes to Sentai before Megaranger/In Space, only a few special season raise the bar of writing significantly higher than PR. There's more differences than there was once PR started adopting the plot wholesale, but I can't actually say they're better most of the time. Despite everything that happened in Ohranger's production, they had the potential for in the late game once the ohrangers take a Rip Van Winkle sleep and wake up to find the Machine Empire succeeded in their invasion. But they punt on any serious consequences or even addressing the questions the show itself asked at the end like "aren't the ohrangers basically genociding a species" which makes me wonder why they bothered to point that out at all.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Feb 11, 2021

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

As Nero Danced posted:

Yeah, they finally revealed the identity in the last page, but it's the person everyone suspected.

Zordon?!

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Rocky didn't even have a personality until Zeo and by then it was already too late.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

JT Smiley posted:

Rocky didn't even have a personality until Zeo and by then it was already too late.

Did Adam and Aisha?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dawgstar posted:

Did Adam and Aisha?

Adam got one in the movie

"I'm a frog."

Aisha always had one but that was more by virtue of her actress than the writing. She was Even Girlier Kim, But With Sass

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
The Stone Mountain crew's personality was just "everyone's new best friend please forget about those guys that left".

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

JT Smiley posted:

The Stone Mountain crew's personality was just "everyone's new best friend please forget about those guys that left".

Adam was the best one of the three but that’s not really saying much (and I think even he took a little while to develop a personality).

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Larryb posted:

Adam was the best one of the three but that’s not really saying much (and I think even he took a little while to develop a personality).

I saw JYB speak at a convention a few years ago and he actually talked about this a bit. IIRC, all three of them realized early on that very little personality was getting put into the scripts. But he also realized that, between timing constraints and the general "it's a kid's show" attitude, the directors generally didn't care much about anyone's acting if they weren't a focal point of the scene. So he just started ignoring the direction and acting his own way, and not only did he rarely get called out or asked to redo it, the things he did started to show up in scripts as "Adam's personality."

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

disaster pastor posted:

I saw JYB speak at a convention a few years ago and he actually talked about this a bit. IIRC, all three of them realized early on that very little personality was getting put into the scripts. But he also realized that, between timing constraints and the general "it's a kid's show" attitude, the directors generally didn't care much about anyone's acting if they weren't a focal point of the scene. So he just started ignoring the direction and acting his own way, and not only did he rarely get called out or asked to redo it, the things he did started to show up in scripts as "Adam's personality."

Yeah and I cannot blame the creative team too heavily on this- this had to be a nightmare to plan and keep up with.

Its still really cool how he picked up the ball on it

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
That Twitch Power Rangers stream back in 2017 was pretty enlightening on a lot of that stuff for me from MMPR to Turbo.

You see Billy go from turbo-nerd to "the most competent one" wearing muscle shirts and poo poo showing how ripped he was as he slowly got more and more completely blackballed by behind the scene individuals (and Billy's two "send offs" in Zeo were loving terrible). Zeo was when the rangers actually started showing a ton more personality (ranging from Tommy and Kat's weird stuff, to Tanya and that toxic reoccurring love interest that kept showing up, to Rocky being a complete loser folding into a personality trait, etc).

But then Rocky backflips his rear end out of a karate ring and breaks his neck, and Tommy/Kat have clearly checked the gently caress out while the passing of the torch episode was hella awkward because it seemed like Adam/Tanya were only told about all of this super recently behind the scenes, and it is just... back to new people. I did appreciate the Turbo rangers though, just... a lot more when they were In Space.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Season 3 gave Adam some good poo poo. The Scorpina episode is fun, and the lantern episode maybe suffers some cultural stereotyping but was also good.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MechaX posted:

That Twitch Power Rangers stream back in 2017 was pretty enlightening on a lot of that stuff for me from MMPR to Turbo.

You see Billy go from turbo-nerd to "the most competent one" wearing muscle shirts and poo poo showing how ripped he was as he slowly got more and more completely blackballed by behind the scene individuals (and Billy's two "send offs" in Zeo were loving terrible). Zeo was when the rangers actually started showing a ton more personality (ranging from Tommy and Kat's weird stuff, to Tanya and that toxic reoccurring love interest that kept showing up, to Rocky being a complete loser folding into a personality trait, etc).

But then Rocky backflips his rear end out of a karate ring and breaks his neck, and Tommy/Kat have clearly checked the gently caress out while the passing of the torch episode was hella awkward because it seemed like Adam/Tanya were only told about all of this super recently behind the scenes, and it is just... back to new people. I did appreciate the Turbo rangers though, just... a lot more when they were In Space.

Yeah, from what I heard JYB and Nakia Burrise were actually willing to stay but Saban decided to just replace everybody except Justin for some reason (kind of surprised JDF wanted to leave though given how weirdly attached to the franchise he is nowadays)

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Burkion posted:

Yeah and I cannot blame the creative team too heavily on this- this had to be a nightmare to plan and keep up with.

Its still really cool how he picked up the ball on it

Yeah, and given how they were inexperienced actors overall (he was an 18-year-old in his first real acting role) who were hired to do some martial arts and then transition to the sentai footage, it's hard to fault the directors and producers for saying "good enough! next scene!" more often than they might otherwise. Low expectations lead to higher freedom, I suppose.

Larryb posted:

Yeah, from what I heard JYB and Nakia Burrise were actually willing to stay but Saban decided to just replace everybody except Justin for some reason (kind of surprised JDF wanted to leave though given how weirdly attached to the franchise he is nowadays)

I've always heard that Catherine Sutherland wanted to stay, too. I know she's said Turbo was her favorite season to actually work on, and then suddenly she wasn't a Power Ranger anymore. As I understood it, JDF asked to leave (which, yeah, weird in hindsight, but he's a weird guy), Saban decided that if Tommy was going, all four of them were going, and then the other three found out one morning when they were in makeup and one of the artists said "hey, did you see the ads for auditions for new Rangers?"

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I can understand JDF wanting to leave at that point- if he was ever going to have a career that wasn't Power Rangers, it was then. That might seem laughable but stranger things have happened.

its largely the same reason why any given actor leaves Doctor Who after 4 or so years- even if you love the work and you get paid top billing and you're the star and all that, it wears on you. PR was also shot on an INSANE schedule for most of his tenure. Its a shame Saban decided to be Saban about the whole thing and replace everyone.

I'm trying to decide if it'd be funnier if only TJ was brought on to replace him, or if Adam or Kat got promoted to Red instead and we got whoever their color replacement was.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I will admit, Adam would have made a good Red (in fact they probably should have swapped him and Rocky back in MMPR)

Though on the other hand, memes aside the Frog Ninjazord was arguably the best one

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Feb 12, 2021

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Did JDF even do much film work after PR, though? You'd think if the goal was to go on to bigger things, he'd go to Hong Kong or something to do action films there?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

disaster pastor posted:

I genuinely admire his gumption at doing that after hearing he basically learned to act on set.

Burkion posted:

I'm trying to decide if it'd be funnier if only TJ was brought on to replace him, or if Adam or Kat got promoted to Red instead and we got whoever their color replacement was.

A FEMALE Red Ranger? Dogs and cats living together. Mass Hysteria.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

I genuinely admire his gumption at doing that after hearing he basically learned to act on set.

That was a big part of it: being such a newbie let him be like "eh, I don't know what I'm doing anyway, why not do it this way?"

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Dawgstar posted:

A FEMALE Red Ranger? Dogs and cats living together. Mass Hysteria.
It happened in SPD and Shinkenger :v:

They just weren't the primary red in either season

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

RealFoxy posted:

They just weren't the primary red in either season

And the one in SPD was evil

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Gaz-L posted:

Did JDF even do much film work after PR, though? You'd think if the goal was to go on to bigger things, he'd go to Hong Kong or something to do action films there?

He did a few things but he also started a family and stuff.

If he couldn't go to NZ for a full season of Dino Thunder he sure as hell wasn't going to China

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

disaster pastor posted:

That was a big part of it: being such a newbie let him be like "eh, I don't know what I'm doing anyway, why not do it this way?"

I also remember hearing that Paul Schrier and Jason Narvy (Bulk and Skull) actually did come from acting backgrounds (and boy that shows because I swear only them and Lt. Stone were definitely the best actors on set by far) and they were nice enough to try to help out the rangers with acting whenever possible

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MechaX posted:

I also remember hearing that Paul Schrier and Jason Narvy (Bulk and Skull) actually did come from acting backgrounds (and boy that shows because I swear only them and Lt. Stone were definitely the best actors on set by far) and they were nice enough to try to help out the rangers with acting whenever possible

To be fair, AJJ was pretty good as well and went on to have a reasonably successful acting and even directing career (not sure if she did anything before Power Rangers though)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Feb 12, 2021

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

MechaX posted:

Isn't Narvy a professor at a well-known drama school now?

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Jason Narvy has a PhD in theater, so I'd say he's done good for himself.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

"Dr. Skull" would be a hell of a name to see on the syllabus for your acting course.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

"Dr. Skull" would be a hell of a name to see on the syllabus for your acting course.

Though to be fair “Dr. Narvy” sounds pretty good too

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

When Jason Narvy walks into class, the Bulk and Skull theme begins playing and plays for the entire class.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

That theme and all the other classic music tracks are what's really missing. The music elevated aspects of that show tremendously.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

RealFoxy posted:

Good catch, on both. I guess that means it probably happened in Samurai Ranger too but... you know... I would have had to watch that past the like third episode and that didn't happen.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

Good catch, on both. I guess that means it probably happened in Samurai Ranger too but... you know... I would have had to watch that past the like third episode and that didn't happen.

It did (in fact it’s even worse there as her PR counterpart is super nice to everyone and the team are just dicks to her for no reason)

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

What an absolutely atonal theme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hqlt6ZwK3CU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Wow, that only has slightly more effort put into it than the Samurai and Megaforce themes. After Dino Charge onward I thought we were past this by now.

Also they really need to retire “Go Go Power Rangers” for a while/for good, it’s getting old now.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Larryb posted:

It did (in fact it’s even worse there as her PR counterpart is super nice to everyone and the team are just dicks to her for no reason)
I'd blame lazy adaptation for that one, they tend to just match up footage and episodes 1:1 so even if Lauren was a sweetheart most of the time, they still needed the footage to match up with the Shinkenger footage of the team not trusting/liking her

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

RealFoxy posted:

I'd blame lazy adaptation for that one, they tend to just match up footage and episodes 1:1 so even if Lauren was a sweetheart most of the time, they still needed the footage to match up with the Shinkenger footage of the team not trusting/liking her

True though in that case they should have adapted her rear end in a top hat retainer from the Sentai somehow, at least then they’d have a better reason to distrust her

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Larryb posted:

True though in that case they should have adapted her rear end in a top hat retainer from the Sentai somehow, at least then they’d have a better reason to distrust her
Even without Kaoru's retainer, the team had to thaw the Ice Queen out after she took the role as head of the Shiba clan over after Takeru had already united and earned the trust and love of the rest of the team.

In Samurai Lauren was just a nice girl who showed up because they needed to match the female red ranger to footage, and since they didn't go with the Ice Queen personality the rangers were just kind of standoffish for no reason :v:

Maybe this is a wild opinion but the next people to take over for Power Rangers should be the same people who do CW/DC shows. They're very hit or miss but they're super popular and they'd have half the show already done via stock footage

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Edit: Nevermind

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Feb 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Larryb posted:

Also they really need to retire “Go Go Power Rangers” for a while/for good, it’s getting old now.

Hard agree. All these themes aping it just shows that they will literally never make another even half as good as Go Go, not unless they manage to get Ron Wasserman back on board.