Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Carthag Tuek posted:

i am vexed by these posts

There should be harsh pennanties for puns that awful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

How big is the "contains the Union Jack" category?

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Nenonen posted:

There should be harsh pennanties for puns that awful
:flag:

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Photux posted:

What's wrong with the Y-axes? They don't have the exact same scaling but they're fairly similar (the Spectator graph spans 60K subscribers, while the others span 70K, 70K, and 30K). The axes don't go down to zero, but that's good, because doing so would make the charts harder to read and would obfuscate the trend mentioned in the tweet. The point of these graphs is to show the trend of the change in subscribers: one magazine's subscription count has been steadily increasing over the past few years, while the others' peaked in 2018 and have been declining since. I know basically nothing about these magazines, so maybe comparing them doesn't make sense, but the graphs themselves seem fine.

Because the intent of the image is to deceive the viewer into thinking The Spectator is more successful than those other magazines, a deception you have demonstrated was effective by falling into it and saying those graphs show a trend of The Spectator growing while the other magazines have been declining.

Here's what it looks like when you plot those numbers properly:
https://twitter.com/paulste1957/status/1357732823302623234
Only The Week could be said to be in decline, and even then is significantly outperforming The Spectator.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

BonHair posted:

How big is the "contains the Union Jack" category?

Smaller than it used to be.

If Scotland or Ireland leave the union they'll have to cha he the UK flag. A bunch of crumbling luddites are going to vote for the stupidest design and immediately die. Ten years from now the remaining UK citizens will moaning about their stupid flag. Nothing can stop this from happening.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Outrail posted:

Smaller than it used to be.

If Scotland or Ireland leave the union they'll have to cha he the UK flag. A bunch of crumbling luddites are going to vote for the stupidest design and immediately die. Ten years from now the remaining UK citizens will moaning about their stupid flag. Nothing can stop this from happening.

I don't think they really have to change it.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Going by New Zealand not changing their Union Jack flag because change is scary, and Brits being the worst, no they will not change a thing.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They might change it to the st george cross, which would probably please a certain section of the population.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

They might change it to the st george cross, which would probably please a certain section of the population.

You gotta give us the Welsh dragon!

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Best case scenario would be Wales leaves and the EU gets an awesome new flag

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think if you counted just the votes from Wales they came out as more anti-EU than the general vote so seems unlikely in the immediate future.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

flavor.flv posted:

Best case scenario would be Wales leaves and the EU gets an awesome new flag

It would be pretty sweet if Cymraeg was one of EU's official languages.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Pasco posted:

Here's what it looks like when you plot those numbers properly:
https://twitter.com/paulste1957/status/1357732823302623234
Only The Week could be said to be in decline, and even then is significantly outperforming The Spectator.

The fixed graph still shows everyone else declining over the past three years, and the original tweet was about trend not overall numbers, so it honestly seems fine. Is this one of those things were the Spectator is run by bad people and so you must dunk on them no matter what?

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Patrick Spens posted:

The fixed graph still shows everyone else declining over the past three years, and the original tweet was about trend not overall numbers, so it honestly seems fine. Is this one of those things were the Spectator is run by bad people and so you must dunk on them no matter what?

While the trends still technically are correct, it vastly overexaggerates them. Private Eye has lost maybe a couple percent over the last three years, well within the normal random fluctuation. The Week had a bit of a dip, but it was hardly the massive drop shown on the original plot. The Spectator is trending up, but the exaggerated graph makes it look like an exponential increase when it's pretty obviously still linear.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Patrick Spens posted:

Why did you pick 3 years to start your trend from and not 5

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
The Spectator was the magazine that was once edited by supposed politician Boris Johnson, who famously told his successor to sexually assault the magazine's publisher.

Though as a journalist, Johnson didn't sink as far as publishing literal AIDS denial like Neil did.

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

https://slatestarcodex.com/2018/12/03/book-review-evolutionary-psychopathology/

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Incredible that there’s a table that includes Hogwarts houses and it’s not the most depraved column on the thing.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Now I really care about whether those angels are assigned to those houses, or if it's possible to have strong Uriel/Gryffindor energy.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I am very angry right now, but can't articulate why, because that would entail typing a long post about Hogwarts houses.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

THE ARCHANGEL MICHAEL KILLS DUMBLEDORE

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/eparillon/status/1360028740290449409

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I like the idea that portland, salt lake city, and seattle are the three competing northwestern megacities.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Courtesy of Gartner, behold the Gartner Magic Quadrant for Meeting Solutions:

There's a whole report, and I'd bet it'd have more, but I have to give Zoom an email to download it and screw that noise.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I haven't done a statistical analysis or anything, but my gut tells me redrawing on these state lines would be a huge improvement fot American politics.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

whats up with san francisco the city being in the "state" called bay valley, not the one called san francisco

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

“San Francisco” notably excluding San Francisco?

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Not that this is the Map thread, but yeah there's more where that came from:
https://www.postaltimes.com/postalnews/usps-2020-annual-report-to-congress/

quote:

As part of the operational realignment, the Postal Service adjusted its Retail and Delivery Operations areas and districts, as well as its Logistics and Processing Operations regions and divisions, to better serve the American public Image #1 shows the new Retail and Delivery Operations Areas and Districts, and Image #2 shows the new Logistics and Processing Operations Regions and Divisions

Image #2: USPS – Logistics and Processing Operations Regions, Divisions

This one admittedly has less of the "future-dystopian-consumerism-nightmare-idiocracy" thing going on.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
I Can't Believe It's Not 'Till Death

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Carthag Tuek posted:

whats up with san francisco the city being in the "state" called bay valley, not the one called san francisco

Platystemon posted:

“San Francisco” notably excluding San Francisco?

https://twitter.com/tomcoates/status/1360042018659913728

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Not that this is the Map thread, but yeah there's more where that came from:

Is there a map thread?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

It's my favourite thread on this forum

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3531615&pagenumber=1689&perpage=40

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

well, SF being in SF is honestly disappointing

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Carthag Tuek posted:

well, SF being in SF is honestly disappointing

What did SF do to deserve that anyway?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Outrail posted:

you know... *gestures*

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Outrail posted:

The quality of Rice-a-Roni has really slipped in recent years

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Here

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

There are a lot of totally inexplicable enclaves in that GIS data unless mail is getting delivered via crop dusters.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Pfft

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

did someone seriosly plagiarize barney for an academic paper