Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

His Divine Shadow posted:

Pringles are poo poo

If they won't pop, they must be stopped :toughguy:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I was in Germany a little while ago and they had like six different paprika flavors of Pringles. The dude working the shop looked at me like I was a freak for being so excited about it.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

They've announced 3d doritos are making a come back.

They've been here a month or two. I tried them, and they're definitely not like the ones from the 90's. The originals were more like hollow Doritos flavored cheese balls. The new ones are Doritos flavored Bugles.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Inzombiac posted:

I was in Germany a little while ago and they had like six different paprika flavors of Pringles. The dude working the shop looked at me like I was a freak for being so excited about it.

Lol, same here but Spain and Jamon (Ham) flavored pringles.

They were good

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
It was only gone for 4 years but mcdongles is switching back to hi-c from fanta for their orange soda.

e. It wasn't fanta. Some kind of orange sprite, but it was not very good.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
they never should’ve killed ecto cooler

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

This Is the Zodiac posted:

but then the concept of "music videos with lots of words" made me remember this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIWlvc3QGA8

and watch it, and goddamn if absolutely everything we were worrying about twenty OH MY GOD THIRTY years ago isn't still true.

I'm starting to think maybe we (Generation X) kind of hosed up :smith:

I remmeber when that video came out, MuchMusic acted like it was the second coming or something. I know they will hype up what they're paid to hype up, but surrounding this was crazy.

Also I think Gen X wasn't allowed to fix anything.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

I can confirm that the "Pringles with bellpepper/paprika" are in fact a superior form of Pringles.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

They've been here a month or two. I tried them, and they're definitely not like the ones from the 90's. The originals were more like hollow Doritos flavored cheese balls. The new ones are Doritos flavored Bugles.

Oh well, back to Aldi's brand cubano kettle chips.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Ok Comboomer posted:

they never should’ve killed ecto cooler
Isn't 3cto-Cooler just their orange flavor with neon green coloring?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
If you're Australian, of a certain age, and want to mainline some nostalgia Heartbreak High is on Netflix now.

I'm pretty sure it was loosely based on this book even though Wikipedia says it was based on the movie The Heartbreak Kid.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

FilthyImp posted:

Isn't 3cto-Cooler just their orange flavor with neon green coloring?

Naw, there was pineapple flavoring there too. You can mix orange hi c, a splash of pineapple juice and a shot of dark rum to make an echo cocktail.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Naw, there was pineapple flavoring there too. You can mix orange hi c, a splash of pineapple juice and a shot of dark rum to make an echo cocktail.

or you could just get a can of coconut cream, make a piña colada, and not waste the rum

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Well, Wandavision completely skipped over the 90s and went straight for a Malcolm in the Middle pastiche. They did a great job with filming/editing but the song kind of blows. I would still qualify it as very 90s because 90s culture didn't truly die until 9/11 in the US:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxt3QFyZtNw

Complete with a really "what the gently caress was that?" X-Treme Food commercial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cqfw3grFZYs

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

MitM apparently also aired it's first episode in january 2000 so it was made in the 90s

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

It was orange and tangerine flavored. No pineapple. When they abandoned the Ecto Cooler name in the early 2000's, it was changed to Shoutin' Orange Tangerine, and then Crazy Citrus Cooler.

I grew up on that poo poo and still have an unopened case in my basement from when they rereleased it for the Ghostbusters remake in 2016.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

Len posted:

MitM apparently also aired it's first episode in january 2000 so it was made in the 90s

No loving way.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
If the 90s didn't "end" until 9/11, does something made after 1/1/00 still count as 90s or is it 00s, even though, like we say they didn't "end" until..

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

When did the 90s start then? The best demarcation I can think of is Nevermind's release.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It's well known that culturally the first year or two of a new decade is usually funky. 1980, 1990, and 2000 were all still very much rooted in the prior decade's trends and took a year or two before what came to define the decade really solidified. In many ways they all exist as part of their own cultural microcosm, but for use here I think it's fair to say that US culture circa early 2000 can be said to be appropriately 90s enough.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Culturally, I don't think the '90s really started in earnest until around 1992. The first year or two of every decade is carryover from the previous one.

^ Beaten by mind the walrus

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The 90s are the only decade with an umabiguous end date: Sept. 11th, 2001. You can be fudgy about when "the 80s" really ended, but the 90s-00s transition feels sharp as a knife.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

The 90’s officially began with this:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rog8ou-ZepE

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below
The 90s ended on September 9, 1999, the day the Sega Dreamcast was launched. To me that was some 2000s future poo poo right there and that's what I'm going with and there is nothing any of you can do about it.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

Malcolm in the Middle instantly felt like one of those shows that has been around forever, so i just filed it away as a 90's show.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

9/11 might be the sharp end date of the 90s, but the decade was definitely on its way out when the dotcom bubble burst.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I’d even say after Y2K. I don’t think the Matrix really feels ‘of the 90s’, it exists in its own bubble era between 1999 and 9/11.

Or maybe it’s when Dubya became President, but that might just be because I don’t really have much memory of the Bush Sr. years. I turned 10 at the end of 1999 and went from elementary to middle school in 2000, so 2000 feels like a big transitional moment for me personally, maybe if not for everybody else or older ppl.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
The end of the decade is usually pretty distinct from the beginning as well. You can easily define late 90's compared to early 90's, late 00's to early 00's. But, what about the 2010's? Was 2019 really all that distinct from 2011? I suppose, politically.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Ok Comboomer posted:

I’d even say after Y2K. I don’t think the Matrix really feels ‘of the 90s’, it exists in its own bubble era between 1999 and 9/11.

Or maybe it’s when Dubya became President, but that might just be because I don’t really have much memory of the Bush Sr. years.
Dubya took the reins and the prevailing wisdom was "one-termer that might do some social conservative poo poo but will be a laughably bad politician". It was largely seen as a bump along the road of prosperity that Clinton presided over.

9-11 was a gift in both bumping his approval and justifying all the dumb draconic poo poo the GOP wanted done (oil wars, morality legislation, tax cuts). It was a marked shift in just about every way.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

The end of the decade is usually pretty distinct from the beginning as well. You can easily define late 90's compared to early 90's, late 00's to early 00's. But, what about the 2010's? Was 2019 really all that distinct from 2011? I suppose, politically.

in the United States it was.

There was the Obama years and the Trump years, and even if the fortunes for lots of people didn’t really materially change for the better or worse (at least until COVID) the mood and psychic tenor of the country was completely different during those two periods

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

It's almost like breaking cultural trends into distinct ten-year periods that happen to coincide with calendar years that end in 0 is entirely artificial!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Yep. Decades happen, but they don't line up with the calendar at all.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Phanatic posted:

It's almost like breaking cultural trends into distinct ten-year periods that happen to coincide with calendar years that end in 0 is entirely artificial!

Yeah, but what I'm saying is, while the late 90's were aesthetically different from the early 90's, as was the music, art, entertainment, etc. Can the same be said for late 2010's vs early 2010's? I feel like its exactly the same, we just have nicer smartphones.

Ok Comboomer posted:

in the United States it was.

There was the Obama years and the Trump years, and even if the fortunes for lots of people didn’t really materially change for the better or worse (at least until COVID) the mood and psychic tenor of the country was completely different during those two periods

Absolutely. Parks & Recreation aired from 2009 to 2015 and boy does is that glaringly obvious now.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Absolutely. Parks & Recreation aired from 2009 to 2015 and boy does is that glaringly obvious now.

Portlandia could not be conceived post-Trump

A lot of it seems like a time capsule mercifully preserved from a more innocent time but a lot of it also comes of as weirdly misplaced and mean-spirited in hindsight, or taking the wrong lessons from its era and environment.

Like so much media in the first half of the 2010s was like arrogantly comfortable in the perceived cultural gains of the Obama years and looking for every opportunity to apologize for the excesses of the lefter, more progressive fringe. People (especially those in power) refusing to call the Tea Party the fascist, revanchist movement that it was, etc.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Cartoon Man posted:

The 90’s officially began with this:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rog8ou-ZepE

When I was in whatever grade when that came out, grade 6 I think. I remember being in French class and the teacher would ask us questions in french about poo poo that we liked, sports teams, musicians etc... So I distinctly recall her asking (excuse my lovely french that doesn't make any sense) "quesque ce le MC HAMMER make le bon musique"? And this one kid was all like "MC HAMMER SUCKS!!! VANILLA ICE IS THE BEST" That was the first time I'd heard of Vanilla Ice. In my (probably) 6th grade french class.

A week or so before the same guy was all like "oui madame, MC Hammer c'est tres bien".

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Ok Comboomer posted:

A lot of it seems like a time capsule mercifully preserved from a more innocent time but a lot of it also comes of as weirdly misplaced and mean-spirited in hindsight, or taking the wrong lessons from its era and environment.

Like so much media in the first half of the 2010s was like arrogantly comfortable in the perceived cultural gains of the Obama years and looking for every opportunity to apologize for the excesses of the lefter, more progressive fringe. People (especially those in power) refusing to call the Tea Party the fascist, revanchist movement that it was, etc.

In the same vein, music artists and the like that spent 2000-2008 raging against Bush only turned it down a little bit for Obama. Which, yes no one wants to listen to "Obama is great!" music and no president/era should be void of criticism, but there was definitely an air of "we'll have our Bush-type bumps but things will always divert back to the Obama-like status quo, so it's okay". We were woefully unprepared for how bad it could get.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I feel like the 90s died at different points in different areas.
Like in terms of film, the 90s died in 1999 with the Matrix. In terms of aesthetics, they died in October 2001 with the release of the iPod and the replacement of the 90s aesthetic of loud excess with sleek and subtle minimalism.
Socially and politically the 90s died unequivocally on September 11, 2001, yeah, but in terms of other aspects of culture and cultural sensibilities, some parts died before, others after.

EDIT: The iPod also meaning the death of the walkman and heralding the gradual death of physical, as well.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

mind the walrus posted:

Complete with a really "what the gently caress was that?" X-Treme Food commercial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cqfw3grFZYs

That is very clearly a sendup of the YoGo Gorilla ads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWbhjgLGBAI

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I feel like the 90s died at different points in different areas.
Like in terms of film, the 90s died in 1999 with the Matrix. In terms of aesthetics, they died in October 2001 with the release of the iPod and the replacement of the 90s aesthetic of loud excess with sleek and subtle minimalism.
Socially and politically the 90s died unequivocally on September 11, 2001, yeah, but in terms of other aspects of culture and cultural sensibilities, some parts died before, others after.

EDIT: The iPod also meaning the death of the walkman and heralding the gradual death of physical, as well.

I dunno while obviously its not a perfectly clear cut I think youre underestimating how much 9/11 changed culture in such a radical way (largely as a result of politics) that happened so quickly it was observable in real time. Tv shows and movies shifted very fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Ok Comboomer posted:

The dream of the 90's is alive in Portland . . .

Also, I think you are being a little overly sensitive. I don't think Portlandia is mean-spirited at all. It certainly makes fun of a lot of stereo-typically left-wing people, ideas, and things, but it usually is done kind of lovingly, and is never vicious.

silence_kit has a new favorite as of 03:40 on Feb 14, 2021