Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
Reminds me of the harebrained scheme someone on Effectively Wild had that MLB should do a Gillette and should just send every 8 yr old a glove on their birthday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
I'm just happy I will now only have to drive to Indianapolis to catch Redbirds and Cubs games, rather than all the way to Iowa or Memphis.

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/ByMHarrington/status/1360311655637405699

quote:

Player salaries at all levels will increase from 38%-72% starting this season. Travel is being reduced at all levels to benefit players and coaches as well. The pandemic likely will keep the Bisons playing only in their division this season but future years could see them playing only some of the other 19 possible opponents each season.

article also says there will likely be no minor league playoffs this year

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.

Intruder posted:

I don't hear much about Marwin regarding the bangs so it seems like he's done a pretty great job avoiding the stigma considering he got by far the most bangs and had a .907 OPS in 2017 but hasn't come close to an .800 OPS in any other season

He was one of the very first Astros to apologize, didn't spend any time in the media talking poo poo, and had private conversations with the former Dodgers on the Twins. The last thing led to Rich Hill setting a "let's move on" attitude in the clubhouse. He also had an awful 2020, which probably kept the focus off him. His time with the Twins wasn't great, but I still hate him least among all Astros, you're right

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, the real takeaway from the Astros thing as the same lesson we learn time after time. If you apologize and let yourself be humbled and then keep your head low people tend to move on. If you act a fool you just make it worse for yourself.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Even as an Astros fan it's kinda lovely that we're going to get basically two seasons of next to no fans for them to get their vitriol thrown at them. Remember when they were being lauded as some kind of vindicated hero for making the ALCS?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

alpha_destroy posted:

Reminds me of the harebrained scheme someone on Effectively Wild had that MLB should do a Gillette and should just send every 8 yr old a glove on their birthday.
Curious -- did Gillette used to send all like 13 year old boys razors or something?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Kirios posted:

Even as an Astros fan it's kinda lovely that we're going to get basically two seasons of next to no fans for them to get their vitriol thrown at them. Remember when they were being lauded as some kind of vindicated hero for making the ALCS?

I have faith that whenever fans do return there will be a row of drunk Bronx guys lined up with garbage cans to make up for lost time.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Kirios posted:

Remember when they were being lauded as some kind of vindicated hero for making the ALCS?

no

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Great.

https://twitter.com/masnroch/status/1360349656077783041?s=21

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Hahahaha you as a Twins fan sure as hell remember it.

STAC Goat posted:

I have faith that whenever fans do return there will be a row of drunk Bronx guys lined up with garbage cans to make up for lost time.

I kinda hope they do. Really, I do.

(Dodgers still bigger bad guys tho)

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Kirios posted:

Remember when they were being lauded as some kind of vindicated hero for making the ALCS?

It was hysterical to watch national broadcasters trying to push a narrative that the Astros players were some incredible comeback story. They just could not stop sucking the collective dick of the players who "struggled through so much adversity" to get back to the playoffs while somehow failing to mention that "adversity" was "being caught cheating red handed and then throwing a big tantrum over it."

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

The Pussy Boss posted:

The old names reflected the history of the game. It's not that "Pacific Coast League" is such a great name (although it's certainly more evocative than "Triple-A West") but the PCL existed for over 100 years. It was the only west coast baseball until the Giants and Dodgers moved to California and teams like the San Francisco Seals were beloved in their day.

Now granted, the PCL hasn't been an independent league for like, 60 years, and the reorganization just reflects that reality. It's still a tiny bit sad that a tiny piece of baseball history is going away for no real reason I guess?

Exactly. The names were anodyne, sure, but there was actually history to them.

R.D. Mangles posted:

Minor League baseball rules.

Yes. Bewbies knows not what of they speak.

alpha_destroy posted:

gently caress and yes. Glove and tee-ball sized ball.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
USSSA -5 bats that make anyone feel like Barry Bonds.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

STAC Goat posted:

That's just the natural state of bronx guys

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Curious -- did Gillette used to send all like 13 year old boys razors or something?

18th birthday but yeah. My brother got one for sure. Can't remember if I did...

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

My hot take on minor league ball is that it's fun to go to minor league games, and also all the players deserve a real wage

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

habeasdorkus posted:

Yes. Bewbies knows not what of they speak.

Perhaps I wasn't communicating effectively, but if your takeaway was that I'm not a huge fan of minor league baseball, my point was not received.

What I dislike is that MiLB is dominated by affiliated teams/leagues, whose primary reason for existence is developing a tiny number of prospects into major leaguers. Developmental baseball is fine, but it isn't the same as true indy baseball. Affiliated teams live and die at the whim of their parents, have to play lineups and rotations not for winning but for maximizing prospect playing time, players are rarely in one place for more than a year, and baseball players with no major league future are virtually worthless. All of this is bad for the fan.

What I'd like to see is MLB trim down its ridiculous system of affiliated leagues so that more communities can enjoy independent ball and all of the cool things it brings, rather than so much of the minor league landscape being controlled by the immediate needs of big league clubs.

And no, you don't need 15 different levels of minor leagues to develop good baseball players.

conclusion: you all should watch https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Battered_Bastards_of_Baseball

bewbies fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Feb 13, 2021

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

bewbies posted:

Perhaps I wasn't communicating effectively, but if your takeaway was that I'm not a huge fan of minor league baseball, my point was not received.

What I dislike is that MiLB is dominated by affiliated teams/leagues, whose primary reason for existence is developing a tiny number of prospects into major leaguers. Developmental baseball is fine, but it isn't the same as true indy baseball. Affiliated teams live and die at the whim of their parents, have to play lineups and rotations not for winning but for maximizing prospect playing time, players are rarely in one place for more than a year, and baseball players with no major league future are virtually worthless. All of this is bad for the fan.

What I'd like to see is MLB trim down its ridiculous system of affiliated leagues so that more communities can enjoy independent ball and all of the cool things it brings, rather than so much of the minor league landscape being controlled by the immediate needs of big league clubs.

And no, you don't need 15 different levels of minor leagues to develop good baseball players.

conclusion: you all should watch https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Battered_Bastards_of_Baseball

Indy ball also rules and I'm sad that the St. Paul Saints aren't going to be indy anymore, but on the other hand I have 4 American Association teams within a 100 mile drive now since the Kane County Cougars are indy now, so that's cool

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I just had an idea and it's probably not feasible for reasons I'm over looking. But what if there was a joint NCAA/MLB partnership, kids out of highschool could be drafted by an MLb team but could choose to go to college with a scholarship split by MLB and the school. They play minor league ball only during the summer break and play college ball during school. Once they graduate they can continue to play baseball if the MLB team chooses to keep them they enter the minor leagues of that team full time, else they can re-enter the draft or just not play at all.

This of course would cost the league money and probably violates some idiotic NCAA rules but it would be a way for org filler players to at least get a free education out of it.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
Hey you drafted me in the 1st round and I went to school and my arm blew out can I have the money still

No

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Popete posted:

I just had an idea and it's probably not feasible for reasons I'm over looking. But what if there was a joint NCAA/MLB partnership, kids out of highschool could be drafted by an MLb team but could choose to go to college with a scholarship split by MLB and the school. They play minor league ball only during the summer break and play college ball during school. Once they graduate they can continue to play baseball if the MLB team chooses to keep them they enter the minor leagues of that team full time, else they can re-enter the draft or just not play at all.

This of course would cost the league money and probably violates some idiotic NCAA rules but it would be a way for org filler players to at least get a free education out of it.
They are doing this 'draft league' thing starting this year which will have guys who are expected to be drafted in the summer playing for teams that got cut from regular affiliation. I think the players have to graduate from school first though? I'm not entirely clear how that is supposed to work.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1360377628956516365?s=20

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Do it, i don't give a poo poo if he's gassed

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

if they are going to do a Washed World Series Guys Win 71 Games season, then bring back lester and schwarbs.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/jarrieta34/status/796372720015523840?s=21

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

bewbies posted:

"no baseball games with 100 miles" is worse for the fan, and that would absolutely be the outcome of shrinking the MiLB system. Lots of those teams (especially lower A teams) make no or next-to-no money and are run at a substantial loss by the teams to ensure the next Ryan Howard has some people to beat up on as he grinds up to the Bigs (first guy I can think of who was overdeveloped in the minors, sorry). Sure they could reduce the number of teams and cut everyone who is developmental filler so they could all.... chase a dream of playing for the Scranton Discount Lumber Yards for $175 a week?

And what chaff guy doesn't dream of maybe having every third baseman in the org's arms all explode at once and his phone rings?

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!

bewbies posted:

why the hell does MLB continue insisting they need all of these minor league teams

literally no other sport does this

The Minor Leagues also resemble (way more so in the past) the English League "Football Pyramid."

The top level Premiership League scout lower levels and buy players from numerous smaller more local teams that scrape by money wise.

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!

alpha_destroy posted:

18th birthday but yeah. My brother got one for sure. Can't remember if I did...

I got one after I signed up for the selective service. So I bet the military paid for it.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Relegate the Pirates to AAA you cowards

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I don't know how old this is but lol

https://twitter.com/Kevin_Goldstein/status/1360391504192225282?s=19

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Bernard Sanders says you can't have his beloved Lake Monsters: https://twitter.com/SenSanders/status/1360367867557007361?s=19

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

ScottyJSno posted:

I got one after I signed up for the selective service. So I bet the military paid for it.

IIRC they just purchased the names and addresses. I got one as an 18 year old.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

alpha_destroy posted:

Bernard Sanders says you can't have his beloved Lake Monsters: https://twitter.com/SenSanders/status/1360367867557007361?s=19

Bernie as Finance Committee Chair absolutely has the power to slip a "gently caress you MLB" amendment into must pass omnibus spending bills. I would laugh for days.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Was hoping the Cubs could maybe at least pretend to be likable if they're going to suck, but gently caress that I guess.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I guess the silver lining is it's better than a Samardzija reunion. Jake may be a Trump supporting piece of poo poo but at least he didn't go to Notre Dame.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

What is Bauer whining about WRT the Athletic?

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

MrMojok posted:

What is Bauer whining about WRT the Athletic?

Most likely Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher Trevor Bauer is referring to these articles, condemning him for his targeted harassment of women online:

https://theathletic.com/2383080/2021/02/12/dodgers-trevor-bauer-online-behavior/

https://theathletic.com/2383113/2021/02/11/trevor-bauer-dodgers-press-conference/

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Omg Arrieta back makes me very happy. I don't care, gently caress you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

Thought this was an Anthony Rendon tweet for a second