Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).
Alameda, California

Dublin, California

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

Outrail posted:

What nightmare creature is this?

Sean spicers part time gig after after being press secretary

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
We have drive thru liquor stores here in WI.

youre dick
Jan 29, 2019

Pennywise the Frown posted:

We have drive thru liquor stores here in WI.

this isn't the same one, but we had these all over the place when I lived in Tuscaloosa

that was pretty sweet. Only issue is i was a yankee with a little sports car and even in the early 90s everyone else was driving a truck so i usually had to get out of the car to get the drink.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

That's a loving wig

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

halokiller posted:

These restaurant chain talk reminds me that Luby's recently died as well. It's a cafeteria style place that only old people like and was made fun of in King of the Hill.

This reminded me of Shoney's. I went to one when I was four or five years old and I had a teddy bear from there. I was wondering if they were still around. I found some peak Americana on their wikipedia article:

quote:

In April 1989, a class action lawsuit was filed in Pensacola, Florida charging Shoney's with widespread racial discrimination where African American applicants were denied employment, and African American employees were denied promotion, harassed or terminated without cause, based on race, and that white managers were harassed or terminated for objecting to the practices. The case, joined by the NAACP Legal Defense and Education Fund, was filed by nine named plaintiffs: five black employees and four white managers.

The lawsuit claimed that racial policies were systemic, involving upper management including chairman Ray Danner, who was named individually as a co-defendant. On restaurant visits, Danner would allegedly tell managers to "lighten the place up" if he felt too many blacks were employed at the location, as "the number of blacks [needed] to coincide with [the] neighborhood ethnic group". Restaurant managers testified that Danner didn't want blacks seen by customers, because no one wanted to eat at a restaurant where "a bunch of [n-word]" were working. (Danner responded that he could not remember making such statements, and denied use of the racial epithet or having such racial policies.) Managers also testified that company officials instructed them to "blacken the 'o' " in the Shoney's logo (or the "A" in Application) on job applications of African Americans.

In 1993, the court approved an award of $105 million, ($132.5 million including costs and fees) the largest discrimination settlement at the time. Danner, who in the interim became a life member of the NAACP, surrendered shares of company stock worth $65 million toward the settlement, and resigned from Shoney's board of directors.The court also ordered a detailed company-wide affirmative action program, including training and educational programs.

Among an estimated 40 thousand persons in the class, compensation was awarded to every African American person employed at Shoney's company-owned restaurants between February 4, 1985 and November 3, 1992. Eleven persons received the maximum $100,000, (equivalent to $177,000 in 2019). The suit included company-owned food service operations such as Shoney's, Captain D's and Lee's Famous Recipe, but excluded franchised restaurants.

At its peak in 1998, the restaurant chain operated or franchised over 1,300 restaurants in 34 states. None of those businesses remains a part of the Shoney's restaurant enterprise today. In 2000, the company filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection and was acquired by Texas-based investment group Lone Star Funds two years later.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

lol they owned captain d's

I went there once and ordered a shrimp po-boy. It was the most bleak and depressing meal I've ever ordered

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Mike from Redlettermedia's long-lost sibling

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Here's an interesting video driving though what is pretty much a ghost town.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhXDnQEgRqg

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Linux Pirate posted:

Here's an interesting video driving though what is pretty much a ghost town.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhXDnQEgRqg

There are quite a few of these between Vegas and LA, which coincidentally is where I grew up. Look up Trona, CA on google maps for an example.

A Small Car
Aug 24, 2016

Woof Blitzer posted:

Look up Trona, CA on google maps for an example.

My dad's from there. It's not quite a ghost town yet, but that racist shithole will be soon enough.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

These look like facade buildings from an old movie set.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
This thread seems like a good place to recommend The Carpetbagger on YouTube. He basically continuously travels the country filming small towns, roadside attractions, and other oddities and points of interest. I'll add the disclaimer that he does tend to do selfie cam monologues too often and too long, and some people don't like his personality, so I won't fault you if you don't like him, but he does show a ton of Americana.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

A Small Car posted:

My dad's from there. It's not quite a ghost town yet, but that racist shithole will be soon enough.

lol I’m from Ridgecrest. Great place! to move from

Prof. Banks
Apr 22, 2015

Computer lab day! Time to spend 45 minutes trying to load pokemon.com!

Monkey Fracas posted:

Mike from Redlettermedia's long-lost sibling

I'm glad someone else was thinking that.

Suspect A
Jan 1, 2015

Nap Ghost
Yeah, I used to pass by https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stiles%2C_Texas (population 4). Reading about the history of that area was pretty interesting.
the only building that's not a trailer.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Suspect A posted:

Yeah, I used to pass by https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stiles%2C_Texas (population 4). Reading about the history of that area was pretty interesting.
the only building that's not a trailer.

This kinda reminds me of the tiny town in Texas that my uncle used to live in. Not even really a town, an "unincorporated community" that peaked in the 40s at about 200 people and now has a quarter of that.

My sister and I walked around there and found an old one room schoolhouse hidden inside a thicket of trees. It had no roof and there were trees growing through it but it was still full of old school desks.

It looked really cool, unfortunately this was 20 years ago when you didn't carry a camera with you everywhere so I have no pictures.

I looked it up on Google maps hoping someone else might have taken some pictures and uploaded them but there were only 2 for the area:

I did manage to find it on Google Maps, it was a little hard to find a building that's completely engulfed by trees but it was helped by there only being like 5 roads. I managed to get street view shots from both sides of it.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nightmare fuel

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Pug Rodeo posted:

The bar looks familiar but I can’t place it. Is that Gold Dust Meridian?

space room

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

manero posted:

Nightmare fuel

Hotdog man has a huge weiner. Hangs right to the ground.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

manero posted:

Nightmare fuel

Hahah that loving thing is wrapped in an american flag!

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

AKZ posted:

Hahah that loving thing is wrapped in an american flag!

:911:

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

If I had any photoshop skills that hotdog would have a punisher skull, thin blue line, and trucknuts hanging off of it.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

AKZ posted:

If I had any photoshop skills that hotdog would have a punisher skull, thin blue line, and trucknuts hanging off of it.

I bet the nuts are hanging behind the giant weiner.

Speaking of USA, I'd like to start a campaign in which the bald eagle is renamed the "America Bird".

What do you goons think?

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Americana tax

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

youre dick posted:

this isn't the same one, but we had these all over the place when I lived in Tuscaloosa

that was pretty sweet. Only issue is i was a yankee with a little sports car and even in the early 90s everyone else was driving a truck so i usually had to get out of the car to get the drink.

No no.
You don't understand.
Not that.

Liquor.
As in, you drive up and say give me two bottles of jack and a 6er of Miller lite.

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
When I lived in Philly I'd regularly get a case of lion's head at the drive thru beer distributor. Just drive right through the warehouse and they'd load it up for you. Then they started delivering...

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

AKZ posted:

Americana tax

That's awesome

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

BalloonFish posted:

For me (as a non-American - a Brit, no less) those sorts of scenes are peak Americana. A small rural town somewhere flat and full of corn, cold in winter, hot in summer, one main street lined with independent shops ('Drug Store', 'Bar', 'Merv's Diner', 'Byzewski's Hardware Store', 'Chevron Gas') and a John Deere dealership overlooked by a water tower, lined with blue mailboxes, red fire hydrants and giant cars with too much chrome and fake wood on the side parked to the curb/kerb, with a brick courthouse with a civil war cannon and an American flag on a pole at one end. There's something so neat, snug, prosperous and friendly about such scenes when you see them on sunny days preserved on Kodachrome - almost enough to make you forget the litany of bad poo poo that was around in the 50s and 60s...

Imagine my displeasure when I first went to America and found out that those sorts of main streets haven't existed for about 50 years! The first time I actually found a small town which came close to my stereotype it was in Canada!

They still exist, and small town main streets have had a big renascence in the last decade. Near cities a lot of metropolitan areas have grown around them, so they’re surrounded by suburban sprawl, but they’re still there if you look for them. And out in the country there are still a lot of really cool small towns.

Leesburg, VIrginia

Emittsburg, Maryland

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Big Beef City posted:

No no.
You don't understand.
Not that.

Liquor.
As in, you drive up and say give me two bottles of jack and a 6er of Miller lite.

In Australia, Drive In Bottle Shops are common. Not only in small towns, but also in the suburbs and in the city. They aren't a big deal.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

Big Beef City posted:

No no.
You don't understand.
Not that.

Liquor.

Some of these on Maryland’s eastern shore. Pretty sure if you pulled up and asked for the latest hype IPA you’d get called a slur.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
The small (~30k people) town I grew up near in Oregon (which was, amusingly, considered "the city" for country folk like me lol) definitely had a main street, and it was great. My parents' favorite dive bar was there, and I used to go with them a lot to get lunch. God I miss those "more grease and salt than potato" fries and them burgs. Also had a really amazing craft store and stationery shop, which was enormous, at least to young me. They used to close the street for a few days every year during the summer for a local fair, where they'd bring in rickety carnival rides and people would set up booths to sell things, and the businesses along the street would participate. It was a lot of fun. Trick or treating along there was great too.

I miss walking along that street in the summer time.

Code Jockey fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Feb 14, 2021

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Code Jockey posted:

The small town I grew up near in Oregon (which was, amusingly, considered "the city" for country folk like me lol) definitely had a main street, and it was great. My parents' favorite dive bar was there, and I used to go with them a lot to get lunch. God I miss those "more grease and salt than potato" fries and them burgs. Also had a really amazing craft store and stationery shop, which was enormous, at least to young me. They used to close it for a few days every year during the summer for a local fair, where they'd bring in rickety carnival rides and people would set up booths to sell things, and the businesses along the street would participate. It was a lot of fun. Trick or treating along there was great too.

I miss walking along that street in the summer time.

Did your small town in Oregon use to have a porcupine race during the fair like my small town in Oregon had? :tinfoil:

Tartan Target
Jun 1, 2001

So I was idly using Google Maps to explore some random US town, and there's a box outside this building that says;

"DEPOSIT USED & WORN FLAGS ONLY"

What the hell does this mean? Do people carry flags around with them all the time that need to be disposed of? How normal is this?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
its probably for retiring them

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
yeah i go through a 10-pack weekly so it's nice to know they're not all headed to the landfill

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
theres a sort of hagiographic dealio youre supposed to do w flags instead of trashin them

put them in the deposit boxes and the america man will say the holy words as he buries the flags

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

The code on how to dispose of the US flag is very specific and it shouldn’t go in the trash with other refuse, so that’s probably old but not unique.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Just throw the flag in the trash, who gives a gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

If it's damaged it's supposed to be burned. I poo poo you not.

Though tbh, it makes sense to me in a way. Quick death Vs rotting around in rubbish.