Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Don't think the "gamestop situation" rises to the level of 9/11 but I guess we'll see how it pans out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
The comparison of this to 9/11 is part of the joke.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think the Onion is having trouble with their Biden angle. I remember reading an article with their EiC during the primaries, he said they felt responsible for Biden's positive image because of the Diamond Joe stuff and they were pretty slanted in favor of Bernie, which they freely admitted. I don't think "demented old man Biden" is remotely as funny as "Dirtbag Delaware Joe" and they should probably go back to that and stop thinking of themselves as kingmakers, because I guarantee you the Onion had nothing to do with the outcome of the primaries or election.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Also feeling bad about stuff like that is lol.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1355205342897070091

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

zoux posted:

I think the Onion is having trouble with their Biden angle. I remember reading an article with their EiC during the primaries, he said they felt responsible for Biden's positive image because of the Diamond Joe stuff and they were pretty slanted in favor of Bernie, which they freely admitted. I don't think "demented old man Biden" is remotely as funny as "Dirtbag Delaware Joe" and they should probably go back to that and stop thinking of themselves as kingmakers, because I guarantee you the Onion had nothing to do with the outcome of the primaries or election.

Demented old man is way closer to reality though.

MojoAZ
Jan 1, 2010

Nucleic Acids posted:

Demented old man is way closer to reality though.

If they're really concerned about the effect their humor has on the political narrative (lol), they might want to pick a take that doesn't play directly into the attacks that right wing media was trying to make on Biden.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

The group of people who read The Onion and right wing media is very, very small.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

MojoAZ posted:

If they're really concerned about the effect their humor has on the political narrative (lol), they might want to pick a take that doesn't play directly into the attacks that right wing media was trying to make on Biden.

I haven’t seen them make many attacks at Hunter Biden?

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

MojoAZ posted:

It wasn’t just hooting chuds pointing out that he’s declining.

Nucleic Acids has a new favorite as of 20:21 on Jan 30, 2021

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

MojoAZ posted:

So if the right wing criticizes him for a good reason (see: "Worst Person You Know..."), everybody should pretend it's not real?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Go to 3030joe.com

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

ultrafilter posted:

The group of people who read The Onion and right wing media is very, very small.

There is an overlap between people who don't understand The Onion is satire and Fox News believers though.

Super Nintendo 64
Feb 18, 2012

Go to creedthoughts/html.creed.thoughts

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Sometimes all you need is the headline.

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1356021962745774080

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1356361762841505792

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

That ending :stare:

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I know Clickhole and the Onion aren't associated anymore, but this is as good a thread as any (since it includes sites like Reductress and The Hard Times) to post this, one of the funniest things I've read in a while:

https://clickhole.com/5-times-he-come-in-looking-all-huge-with-his-jiggling-f-1840489605/

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Pastry of the Year posted:

I know Clickhole and the Onion aren't associated anymore

Wait, they aren't?

e: Oh wow, totally missed that they are owned by Cards Against Humanity? Huh. Glad Clickhole is still around and didn't vanish into the abyss when they stopped posting for a while

Last Chance has a new favorite as of 20:19 on Feb 2, 2021

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/ClickHole/status/1356995078875738114

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?

Last Chance posted:

Wait, they aren't?

e: Oh wow, totally missed that they are owned by Cards Against Humanity? Huh. Glad Clickhole is still around and didn't vanish into the abyss when they stopped posting for a while

Seeing that it's owned by Cards Against Humanity goes a long way in explaining why every article title sounds like an AI posting random words in an attempt to pass off as human.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

zimbomonkey posted:

Seeing that it's owned by Cards Against Humanity goes a long way in explaining why every article title sounds like an AI posting random words in an attempt to pass off as human.

ah yes, that sentence a regular human could have never written:

"Prioritizing Self-Care: This Woman Is Enjoying Her Pedicure Too Much To Be Bothered By The Very Obvious Human Trafficking Situation Going On In The Nail Salon"

very different from their earlier articles:

"7 Sloths Who Are Almost Too Adorable To Throw Off The Top Of The Chrysler Building"

it's okay to just say you don't like a thing anymore without making up weird poo poo

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I think Clickhole does intentionally shoot for an angle of "alien tries to write relatable content for humans," though.

They broke character when responding to complaints about "gently caress Yeah Free Triangle"

quote:

ClickHole is a website that makes fun of clickbait and internet culture, a culture that often treats people as memes and uses broad, heightened emotions to entice traffic. We frequently write jokes in the voice of an insane character who doesn’t understand the world. The intention of this joke is that the ClickHole character completely misunderstands what is happening in this very solemn photo and has reacted with the exact wrong emotion

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's a shame they had to do that, "gently caress Yeah! Free Triangle!" was goddamn hilarious and the thrust of the joke is pretty clear.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

I feel Clickhole's gotten wackier with time, but that's been more about finding it's own voice instead of the buyout. Like, the recurring joke where they kept posting the same video of a firetruck with different headlines or reposting the entirety of Moby Dick under the headline "The Time I Spent On A Commercial Whaling Ship Totally Changed My Perspective On The World" were really good clickbait parodies, but don't really feel like Clickhole's "vibe" anymore.

Fezziwig
Jun 7, 2011

Arist posted:

It's a shame they had to do that, "gently caress Yeah! Free Triangle!" was goddamn hilarious and the thrust of the joke is pretty clear.

Reading the comments section on any onion or clickhole article just goes to show how few people really understand satire.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

drive me nuts to school posted:

Reading the comments section on any onion or clickhole article just goes to show how few people really understand satire.

https://medium.com/@aplusapp/the-onion-posted-this-picture-as-a-joke-heres-my-response-1cb2b8305077

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Doesn't seem much different the hundreds of other articles they post. Why the outrage over that one.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

bamhand posted:

Doesn't seem much different the hundreds of other articles they post. Why the outrage over that one.

the devil cult of uniformed service is not mocked

this is not a slam on veterans, the entire way US culture approaches uniformed service is hosed and the actual servicemembers are largely just the folks on the pedestal

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

bamhand posted:

have you never seen the entitled assholes who demand free poo poo on Veterans' Day? military worship/entitlement in (some parts of) this country is hosed up.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

drive me nuts to school posted:

otoh, the youtube comments on some of their original video stuff, like sex house or lake dredge appraisal etc, were amazing

everyone just playing along

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The problem with satire is it only ever works on people who agree with it.

It’s very playing to the home crowd in that way

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Carthag Tuek posted:

otoh, the youtube comments on some of their original video stuff, like sex house or lake dredge appraisal etc, were amazing

everyone just playing along

Man, I looked forward to each episode of sex house so much each week. That show was excellent.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
I get the point of the free triangle joke but I can also see the interpretation where it’s making fun of it.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

morallyobjected posted:

have you never seen the entitled assholes who demand free poo poo on Veterans' Day? military worship/entitlement in (some parts of) this country is hosed up.

I made the mistake of going out for a meal for Veterans day a few years ago.

The waiter was a dickhead to me, but watching the conduct of people at other tables, I think I understand why he might have been a bit frustrated.

I have no way of knowing what the tips situation was like, but I'm guessing it wasn't worth the hassle.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Omnomnomnivore posted:

I get the point of the free triangle joke but I can also see the interpretation where it’s making fun of it.

it's not so entirely different from the time The Onion made that tweet about Quvenzhané Wallis being a oval office to emphasise how lovely media treatment of female celebrities is

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
I’m still going to laugh at Subtember 11th every year until I die.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Man, I looked forward to each episode of sex house so much each week. That show was excellent.

i just rewatched it last night and it still holds up

made me feeel bad for the frogs all over again

also porkin across america. man that was a good year for the onion

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1360755642353520640

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007