Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Gaz-L posted:

Roseanne and Married With Children would be the closest to the 'suburban family' sitcom thing they're aiming for, and that is a very different tone to Family Ties or Full House, but it's also much less focused on young kids. Otherwise the 90s tends to be much more 'single friends living it up in the city', a la Friends, Seinfeld or Frasier. I mean, there's also Fresh Prince or the Cosby Show, but well, aside from the cultural appropriation aspect, the former has the whole 'have vs have not' fish out of water element which doesn't fit the setting, and well... the latter has OTHER issues.

I did see one person suggest The Nanny, and that also has the 'rich family' element, but it might've been worth it to see Evan Peters or Kathryn Hahn do their best Fran Drescher.

They coulda done, like, a Boy Meets World/Blossom/Clarissa Explains it All kinda vibe if they wanted to focus largely on the kids. I guess you can say the 90s era shows were more focused on pushing boundaries/being wacky/EDGY, like you mention with the comparison between Roseanne & Married with Children vs Family Ties or Full House. Either through shows being sorta surreal & goofy, pushing cultural limits, or showing more family dysfunction. Less of a "we'll make it if we got each other" and more of a "life is unfair, you're not the boss of me now" vibe.

But then they kinda hit that tone anyway so it's hard to get really disappointed, for me. And a lot of the subtle poo poo was GREAT, go back and watch it again. The loving music cues were incredible. It's just hard for the tone to stand out as much because such a big part of what defines this era is backing away from the manufactured, idealized reality, and embracing a bit more naturalism. "Unfiltered" isn't a very impactful filter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Are they gonna do 2 Broke Girls next episode?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Its Rinaldo posted:

The two other sitcoms they've mentioned in interviews are the Office and Modern Family. I wouldn't be shocked to see that as just one episode.

I realized that one theory that started to spread more after last night seems less likely after thinking about it. This probably doesn't end with the world being changed House of M style. Spider-Man Far From Home takes place after WandaVision.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

Just started to watch the latest episode. I sure hope that incompetent gung-ho boss trope is gonna have an actual point.

Its funny, the stuff outside the bubble had more tropes than the supposed sitcom inside. Rolling my eyes at Darcy becoming a super hacker (was she in the movies), and them knocking out the soldiers just perfectly.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

XboxPants posted:

They coulda done, like, a Boy Meets World/Blossom/Clarissa Explains it All kinda vibe if they wanted to focus largely on the kids. I guess you can say the 90s era shows were more focused on pushing boundaries/being wacky/EDGY, like you mention with the comparison between Roseanne & Married with Children vs Family Ties or Full House. Either through shows being sorta surreal & goofy, pushing cultural limits, or showing more family dysfunction. Less of a "we'll make it if we got each other" and more of a "life is unfair, you're not the boss of me now" vibe.

But then they kinda hit that tone anyway so it's hard to get really disappointed, for me. And a lot of the subtle poo poo was GREAT, go back and watch it again. The loving music cues were incredible. It's just hard for the tone to stand out as much because such a big part of what defines this era is backing away from the manufactured, idealized reality, and embracing a bit more naturalism. "Unfiltered" isn't a very impactful filter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8y8Ziwswe0?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Shageletic posted:

Rolling my eyes at Darcy becoming a super hacker (was she in the movies),
In Thor she's a political science major who doesn't know what's going on. In Thor 2 I think they imply that she's actually been learning from Jane between films but she's not in a lot of it. Its been like 10 years since then so really she could become accomplished at just about anything over that span of time. She could have shown up as an rear end kicking spy and my response would have been "that's kinda weird but I dunno what's she's been doing for the last decade."

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Shageletic posted:

Its funny, the stuff outside the bubble had more tropes than the supposed sitcom inside. Rolling my eyes at Darcy becoming a super hacker (was she in the movies), and them knocking out the soldiers just perfectly.

Donezo! :agesilaus:

like poo poo you coulda just tossed her into the hex with no changes needed

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

Am I the only one pessimistic enough to think this whole Pietro thing isn't going to lead to anything? I'm betting it will turn out to be just what it appears on the surface. The same character from Avengers coupled with a cute joke about sitcoms recasting actors. People here have a lot of cool theories, but I'm guessing whatever Marvel actually does isn't going to be nearly as good. Ditto with Monica's engineer friend. I just get the feeling that Wandavision wasn't intended to be this big a deal. Covid 19 turned the whole world on it's head, and due to being the only one ready to release, Wandavision got thrust into the spotlight. I hope I'm wrong and something cool like mutants or the fantastic four comes from this, but I just don't see it.

I just hope they tell a good story. Couldn't give a rat's rear end about crossovers or bringing in new characters or whatever the gently caress.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

STAC Goat posted:

In Thor she's a political science major who doesn't know what's going on. In Thor 2 I think they imply that she's actually been learning from Jane between films but she's not in a lot of it. Its been like 10 years since then so really she could become accomplished at just about anything over that span of time. She could have shown up as an rear end kicking spy and my response would have been "that's kinda weird but I dunno what's she's been doing for the last decade."

yeah that's what dennings said in something i saw her on, just like yeah after seeing everything that happened with jane foster, she probably changed her major and plans

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Monica was apparently already a top-level SWORD agent before the snap, and Jimmy Woo in the comics is basically Asian-American James Bond. (Yes, I know he was a dorkus in Ant-Man 2, shut up)

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Desperado Bones posted:

Yeah, indeed. I think she got the "twin sensing the other twin dying because magical twin bond" trope.

At this point I think Wanda being able to sense death or extreme pain in a close genetic relation is part of her power set in the MCU because it was Billy, pointedly not Wanda, who sensed that Vision was dying beyond the boundary of the Hex. Although how synthezoids pass on genes is a whole other can of worms.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Timeless Appeal posted:

I'm surprised people thought that the MiTM stuff didn't work for them. It was extremely on point for me. Like the other episodes were cute, but had to be pretty broad. This one had to work more stylistically and I thought the camera work, the music, and some of the jokes were perfect.

They absolutely nailed the visual aesthetic and camerawork but the tone and content was nowhere near - especially the very bad opening credits.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Its Rinaldo posted:

They had the perfect opportunity this episode, Darcy just looks at the approaching hex wall, down at the handcuffs. "Well, this isn't the worst situation I've ever been in while handcuffed".

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

My theory is Mephisto is Agnes's husband Ralph.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

eke out posted:

yeah that's what dennings said in something i saw her on, just like yeah after seeing everything that happened with jane foster, she probably changed her major and plans

Yeah, it seems entirely plausible that given her experiences with Thor and Asgardians, relationship with two of the leading most astrophysicists on the planet, and inevitable association with SHIELD that her life path would shift in that direction and 10 years later she'd be an expert herself. Its at least as plausible as the idea that she should be the same person she was 10 years ago. Ultimately if you're bringing back a side character who hasn't been used in 8 years whatever you do is gonna feel a little forced because we missed a lot of her story.

I'm waiting for a conversation that goes:

Darby: You know Captain Marvel?
Monica: Yeah, she and my mom were real close. She was like a big sister to me.
Darby: That's so cool. I used to hang out with Thor. He dated my old boss.
Jimmy:.. I know Ant-Man.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, it seems entirely plausible that given her experiences with Thor and Asgardians, relationship with two of the leading most astrophysicists on the planet, and inevitable association with SHIELD that her life path would shift in that direction and 10 years later she'd be an expert herself. Its at least as plausible as the idea that she should be the same person she was 10 years ago. Ultimately if you're bringing back a side character who hasn't been used in 8 years whatever you do is gonna feel a little forced because we missed a lot of her story.

I'm waiting for a conversation that goes:

Darby: You know Captain Marvel?
Monica: Yeah, she and my mom were real close. She was like a big sister to me.
Darby: That's so cool. I used to hang out with Thor. He dated my old boss.
Jimmy:.. I know Ant-Man.

Darcy:What about the Wasp? She seems cool.
Jimmy:... no.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Next episode is just a 30 minute montage of pietro zooming around rescuing the whole town from the expanding hex in increasingly silly ways.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Supercar Gautier posted:

Next episode is just a 30 minute montage of pietro zooming around rescuing the whole town from the expanding hex in increasingly silly ways.

assuming that last zap wasn't terminal

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

stev posted:

They absolutely nailed the visual aesthetic and camerawork but the tone and content was nowhere near - especially the very bad opening credits.

never watched MitM aside from a few clips here and there, but what was bad about the credits? I looked up MitM's intro and it didn't do the whole "shaky-cam following characters around the house at high speed" thing, I guess that was either original for WandaVision or a riff on some other sitcom opening I don't recallad

anyway, I'm glad they skipped over most of the 90s and didn't do another multi-camera sitcom episode. would have been too stylistically repetitive IMO

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Gaz-L posted:

Monica was apparently already a top-level SWORD agent before the snap, and Jimmy Woo in the comics is basically Asian-American James Bond. (Yes, I know he was a dorkus in Ant-Man 2, shut up)

I really, really like the idea of goofball Jimmy Woo also being a total badass, but I have a thing for Zenigata/Lupin style relationships where the criminal keeps eluding the detective not because the detective is an idiot, but because the criminal is just that good

it's that kind of pro wrestling logic where, when we the audience discover Woo is actually really loving good at his job when he's not being a dork, it makes Scott Lang look even cooler for outwitting him

Lunatic Sledge fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Feb 12, 2021

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Supercar Gautier posted:

Big missed opportunity if they don't do a X-men-style slo-mo scene with Quicksilver. It's like 90% of the reason everyone likes his version of the character so much

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

OldSenileGuy posted:

Big missed opportunity if they don't do a X-men-style slo-mo scene with Quicksilver. It's like 90% of the reason everyone likes his version of the character so much

They might do one with Tommy instead

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Shageletic posted:

She's a political science major who interned with an environmental science team

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Lunatic Sledge posted:

it's that kind of pro wrestling logic where, when we the audience discover Woo is actually really loving good at his job when he's not being a dork, it makes Scott Lang look even cooler for outwitting him

Woorange Cassidy

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Gavok posted:

Woorange Cassidy

he just wants to learn card tricks and hang out but if pressed, he will unravel the poo poo out of your conspiracy

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Barry Convex posted:

never watched MitM aside from a few clips here and there, but what was bad about the credits? I looked up MitM's intro and it didn't do the whole "shaky-cam following characters around the house at high speed" thing, I guess that was either original for WandaVision or a riff on some other sitcom opening I don't recallad

More the song than the credits themselves. It's like they heard precisely one song from a Nickelodeon ad in the early 2000s and thought "yes we can do that".

radlum
May 13, 2013
I kind of agree that MitM is an odd choice for the 90s (since I also relate it more to the early 2000s), but I also think that the more iconic 90s sitcoms wouldn't fit the series. Married With Children is pretty iconic, but it would be too jarring if the neighborhood watch turned into proto-MRAs or if the series focused on down on his luck Pietro moving in with richer relatives like The Nanny or The Fresh Prince, it just wouldn't fit.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

The World Inferno posted:

pspoiler[

if the try circumvent peters death back in, what a loving shame. I'm still in the camp of the bad guy here NEEDS to be Wanda, and her giref. otherwise, the moral is bad. Good people can do bad things, and let this be a meditation on that

[s[po;eder]y]

edit zombi4es

all the zombie stuff has me belieivijng a paraside has joined the Olsen Twin, but I hope that's nit== the answer because gently caress. It's basic. and there's so much more this could be.

Does there really have to be only one "bad guy?" Like in some post-apocalypse game/movie, the President who lost his poo poo, started WWIII and now runs what's left of "civilization" from his bunker is clearly "the evil one." But the guys on the outside of that area who look around, see no authority present and say, "Hey fellas, you know what this place needs? Some rape gangs" are not the "good guys" either. Even with Wanda as the main "bad guy" there's plenty of room for "opportunistic infections" to take advantage of what's happened and perhaps subtly push her to keep going or expand so they can keep getting whatever it is that they're getting out of this.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

stev posted:

More the song than the credits themselves. It's like they heard precisely one song from a Nickelodeon ad in the early 2000s and thought "yes we can do that".

Yeah, they really should have called in They Might be Giants

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I feel like we're not really gonna get one official big bad guy. My theory is Wanda will bear some responsibility, Agnes will bear some, SWORD will bear some, and maybe at the very end of the series they'll tease Mephisto or something as having been the force behind all of it but not one they fight.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

This is all going to be resolved by sapphire bullets of pure love

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Azhais posted:

This is all going to be resolved by sapphire bullets of pure love

Wanda and Vision do a Love Love Tenkyoken? So Mephisto will be in it!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

A: The song this week was sung by Kathleen Hanna of Bikini Kill.
B: The songs this week and last are much more indicative of the larger plot if you listen to the lyrics.

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

if woo does not try to call antman for some espionage duty now they know hayward is up to something shady, i will be disappointed in the missed opportunity

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Splash Attack posted:

if woo does not try to call antman for some espionage duty now they know hayward is up to something shady, i will be disappointed in the missed opportunity

I will accept Michael Pena singing a bad parody of The Greatest American Hero theme as their office voicemail message, a la George Constanza.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Wouldn't mind a clip show of a bunch of stuff we didn't see in different episodes ala Community.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Splash Attack posted:

Woo: Huh. That was weird.

Monica: What was?

Woo: Well, I was right in the middle of asking Scott to come here and do some highly illegal espionage on SWORD, a top-secret government agency. You know, stuff that could get him sent to a CIA Black Site for the rest of his life, when he just said "Not it." and hung up on me.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
So here's my thought.

What Kat Dennings is looking at might be that Quicksilver was brought from another dimension deliberately to enter the simulation and ask her questions. Similar to Jake Gyllenhall in Far From Home. It definitely doesn't feel like he's being controlled.

And it definitely feels like it's not Wanda on her own doing this.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Better yet, Jimmy says he knows a guy, the scene zooms in on an ant on a nearby tree... and cut to them talking to an 8 foot talking gorilla.

"Ken, buddy, missed you at softball last season, how's the missus?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Quicksilver was Aaron Taylor-Johnson
Now he's Evan Peters not Aaron Taylor-Johnson
Been a long time gone since Aaron Taylor-Johnson