Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Violator posted:

What’s the best actual super speed in movies? Man of Steel and those recent X-men movies? Twilight was dog poo poo and that’s the only other I can think of, it looked like these clips.

Man of Steel at the very least has the most terrifying looking super speed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4phfu8_CNg

As a kaiju fan, seeing the military get dunked on always makes me smile

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The air concussions on the impacts really sell the speed and power of the actions. When I first saw that in the theater I was utterly floored by it.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The correct answer is, of course, The Waco Kid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVhCNgct9JQ&t=59s

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So fast that his guns are back in the holsters before they start to smoke and set his pants on fire.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

That's why he's The Waco Kid

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I hope his fingers ain't loaded.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/LegendaryComics/status/1359647633975873537?s=20

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I feel like the book title Godzilla vs. Kong: Sometimes Friends Fight (But They Always Make Up) is a spoiler

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

:toot:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

toy image spoiler from GvsK

https://twitter.com/oritech/status/1355001755176603649?s=20

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Violator posted:

What’s the best actual super speed in movies? Man of Steel and those recent X-men movies? Twilight was dog poo poo and that’s the only other I can think of, it looked like these clips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoLhLn9hVkE

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Gripweed posted:

I feel like the book title Godzilla vs. Kong: Sometimes Friends Fight (But They Always Make Up) is a spoiler

It's a kids picture book, here's some of the other books in the series:

E: here's some character sketches the illustrator posted to her Instagram about a year ago: https://www.instagram.com/p/B9hta_PnNaN/

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Feb 11, 2021

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It's a kids picture book, here's some of the other books in the series:

E: here's some character sketches the illustrator posted to her Instagram about a year ago: https://www.instagram.com/p/B9hta_PnNaN/

godzilla hat confirmed

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Btw that toy spoiler is right out in the open. FYI

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yeah but I just put it in spoiler tags because some people would rather not have any spoilers.

JB Lars
Nov 25, 2005

I don’t personally see any spoiler tags, just an embedded Tweet with spoiler photos right there in my feed.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I don’t think the awful app spoils embedded tweets

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I hope Kong vs Godzilla does well. I’d like to see more of this series. I think they’re well done and I like them a lot.

I do wonder if they lean too hard into the more outlandishness of the series aliens, robots, etc. if it will turn people off.

That being said I’m good with what I see. It looks satisfying.

I wonder if Godzilla 2014’s sales was driven by Bryan Cranston’s being in it and driving its credibility. I don’t think the sequels have that.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

All I care about, really, is what Toho kaiju would be next in the Monsterverse if it continues. The prior choices of Rodan, Mothra, King Ghidorah, and *ahem* are fairly obvious as they are without a doubt the most popular.

Licensing is costly, so it makes sense to pick wisely.

My guess is Anguirus and Gigan are the remainders in the highest tier of popularity, but I'm not 100% sure.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
There’s gotta be a really easy and clever way to update Biollante and/or Hedorah for a climate change allegory movie.

Isn’t this the end of the Legendary series though? I swear that’s what they’ve been claiming for a while now, but it’s almost certain regardless just based on the box office takes.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Monsterverse King Caesar you cowards

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

All I care about, really, is what Toho kaiju would be next in the Monsterverse if it continues. The prior choices of Rodan, Mothra, King Ghidorah, and *ahem* are fairly obvious as they are without a doubt the most popular.

Licensing is costly, so it makes sense to pick wisely.

My guess is Anguirus and Gigan are the remainders in the highest tier of popularity, but I'm not 100% sure.

My preference is something like Biolante or Destroyah. Death of Godzilla, ascendency of Kong feels appropriate.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

If Godzilla dies in GvK and they do somehow end up doing more,, then I hope it continues with Kong raising a baby Godzilla.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Isn’t this the end of the Legendary series though? I swear that’s what they’ve been claiming for a while now, but it’s almost certain regardless just based on the box office takes.

I thought it was pretty well accepted that if GvK had not already been in production when KoM tanked, they wouldn't have made GvK.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Singular Point Goji revealed
https://twitter.com/godzilla_sp/status/1360061065325760512?s=21

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I like it a lot. The jaws remind me of Monster Hunter designed monsters.

Those are some thick rear end thighs. A very underappreciated aspect of Godzillas.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
i like how the ridges kind of visually suggest a forest

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

T H I C C

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Is it just a weird angle on his tail or is Japan getting behind dummy thicc kaiju representation?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If he hunches over any further he'll be getting dangerously close to Zilla territory.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

I appreciate the theropod-esque posture. Speaking of ancient animals, I wish they'd do a kaiju based off some of the weirder groups that lived in past epochs. An anomalocaris, trilobite, or lobopodian titan would be cool as hell.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Detective No. 27 posted:

I like it a lot. The jaws remind me of Monster Hunter designed monsters.

Those are some thick rear end thighs. A very underappreciated aspect of Godzillas.

He's a toothy boi

https://twitter.com/GODZILLA_SP/status/1358702109017976835

E: inverted

Arcsquad12 posted:

If he hunches over any further he'll be getting dangerously close to Zilla territory.

It might just be the foreshortening / low angle of that image, his posture seems to be a lot more upright in the poster

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Feb 12, 2021

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Yes, the Legendary license was for three Godzilla movies, so even if they did gangbusters this would be the last prior to negotiating a new arrangement.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
My buddy and I have been watching kaiju movies over video chat and warming up beforehand with some short-form content with random Kamen Rider, Super Sentai, and Ultraman episodes. Anyone have any recommendations for some particularly nutso kaiju or kaiju-adjacent content that would be great appetite-whetters? Doesn't have to be straight narrative or TV if you've got any outside the box ideas.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I've been watching Ultra Q and it's been great. Basically Twilight Zone but with kaiju. It's the show that Ultraman came from.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

feedmyleg posted:

My buddy and I have been watching kaiju movies over video chat and warming up beforehand with some short-form content with random Kamen Rider, Super Sentai, and Ultraman episodes. Anyone have any recommendations for some particularly nutso kaiju or kaiju-adjacent content that would be great appetite-whetters? Doesn't have to be straight narrative or TV if you've got any outside the box ideas.

Super Inframan

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Thats a good 'zilla

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Biollante was tight. Still wish I could buy it at a reasonable price

ptkfvk
Apr 30, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

There’s gotta be a really easy and clever way to update Biollante and/or Hedorah for a climate change allegory movie.

dead mothra dust mixes with the pacific trash gyre and makes a huge plastic monster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

feedmyleg posted:

If books count, the novella Shambling towards Hiroshima by James Morrow is a great read.