Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Man of steel gave me a headache while watching it, so it was challenging for me to watch it in at least one way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

sassassin posted:

Man of Steel was an optimistic film it just wasn't comfortingly and unchallengingly so. Superman struggled. He faltered. It worked out in the end but Superman fans will never forgive the first couple of acts where things weren't simple and easy for them.

Tell that to Zod's snapped neck

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Superman III is still pretty fun, and the end gives me vivid flashbacks to how terrified I was as a child when the lady gets taken over by the computer.

If I had the skills, I'd edit the fight between Superman and Clark in that film so that the evil Superman is Henry Cavill and Clark is Christopher Reeve. No offense to Cavill, I'm sure he's a good actor, but Reeve will always be Superman to me.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Reeve's appearance on Smallville was loving incredible and I'm so happy he was willing to do that.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Man of steel wasn’t terribly challenging it’s just what DC movies tend to love trend chasing.

People loved Nolan’s gritty Batman so it got that. Then people grew bored of it so justice league threw in some quips and Suicide squad just straight up copied Guardians of the Galaxy.

That’s the problem really DC is just as creatively bankrupt as marvel, they just suck at it

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I think Marvel was more willing to play with more genres for the individual movies as well. Like First Avenger is a war movie, Winter Soldier is a spy thriller, Ant-Man is a heist sort of deal.

DC didn’t really have much past “this ain’t your dad’s Buttman” and it showed. Wonder Woman went for the same kind of war movie type of feel and that’s the one people liked.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

MariusLecter posted:

Man of Steel was not a challenging film at all.

And yet people seem to struggle with it, like the above poster who claims it's not optimistic film.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean your whole gimmick is contrarianism so struggle isn’t a fair assessment for whatever bullshit your on now

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

christmas boots posted:

I think Marvel was more willing to play with more genres for the individual movies as well. Like First Avenger is a war movie, Winter Soldier is a spy thriller, Ant-Man is a heist sort of deal.

DC didn’t really have much past “this ain’t your dad’s Buttman” and it showed. Wonder Woman went for the same kind of war movie type of feel and that’s the one people liked.

I feel like Guardians of the Galaxy and Ant-man particularly was marvel testing the water for "what do we do when the superhero bubble bursts?". Ant Man was a heist movie that happened to have superpowers. Guardians was a space opera which could very easily have been made with no ties to any other marvel movie at all. And they worked and they made money. So now marvel know that if the bubble bursts the public will probably be willing to watch movies in other genres that use their characters and just dial back the shared universe bits. And then of course we're 6 years on from Ant-man and the bubble hasnt burst yet, so maybe they wont need to fall back on that for a while.

And I feel like DCs main problem is they wanted to jump straight to The Avengers without doing the legwork of Iron Man, Hulk, Iron Man Again, Thor and Captain America first. Marvel spent 5 movies establishing these individual characters, their powers, their supporting cast before the big crossover movie where they smashed their action figures together, and that movie didnt introduce any other main cast (I am willing to entertain discussion on Hawkeye and Black Widow, as they had really been little more than cameos in pre-avengers movies, but still, they'd been shown, their gimmicks and something of a character established). DC went, what, a mediocre superman movie, Batman Vs Superman (which is just a bad movie all round), suicide squad (which actually didnt tie into Justice League at all that I remember, and was also a criminal waste of the concept and cast) and I honestly dont remember if Wonder Woman was before JL or after (though for the record its probably the best of the pre-justice league DCU movies). Warner had seen the success of the MCU and the Avengers and went "I want that, and I want it now" and werent willing to lay the groundwork to build the foundations of the shared universe before doing the big crossover.

So Justice League had to introduce Cyborg, The Flash, Aquaman, their powers, their motivations, their relationships with the rest of the league and still tell a coherent story in between the action figures being smashed together, and the constant pressure from Warner Bros. Under ideal circumstances even an excellent director would struggle with that. Snyder is a stylish director, but I wouldnt say hes excellent, and on his best day Whedon rises to "broadly speaking competant as a director (while still being a failure of a human being)", so Justice League being what it was shouldnt really be a surprise. I'm vaguely curious about the Snyder cut, but I'm personally lukewarm on him tbh. Will probably see it at some point though.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Whedon only ever directed two movies. It's weird that people talk about him as a director, although I guess he did some of the more high-profile art-school episodes of the shows he made.

Snyder was pretty good with Dawn of the Dead and Watchmen for what they were, though I find Watchmen kind of confused as far as what it's trying to communicate. Dawn of the Dead is the most 2000s-era production possible.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

MoS was perfectly fine but it also felt like it was just Superman 1 and 2 again with less camp.

Captain Monkey posted:

the movie was mediocre, but the scene where Superman is hulking out and the Flash is trying to race around him and Superman just sort of.. flickers his eye after him to show that he can easily track him was really well done and a great 'oh poo poo' moment.

Man, that was a good scene.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
MoS I did not mind as much as others did. But I didnt see it as particularly smart either.
BvS tried to be clever too in some ways, but the plot structure (and Lex Luthor) did it no favors.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I feel asleep during man of steel. Superman Returns was better than that poo poo somehow lol

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Whedon only ever directed two movies. It's weird that people talk about him as a director, although I guess he did some of the more high-profile art-school episodes of the shows he made.

If we don't count Justice League for either of them, Whedon has directed 3 films, and Snyder 7. I don't know why you'd split hairs on this particular hill.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Snyder was pretty good with Dawn of the Dead and Watchmen for what they were, though I find Watchmen kind of confused as far as what it's trying to communicate. Dawn of the Dead is the most 2000s-era production possible.

Watchmen was pretty much Fine: The Movie. Which is commendable because I would have kind of bet against the graphic novel being filmable tbh. But I personally felt like it should have picked a lane between "I'm pointing a camera at actors recreating what was in the book" or "This is an adaptation, we're changing poo poo to make it work better on screen". I cant go into details, because I've not seen it since it was in the cinema, but I remember walking out thinking "that was about 90% shot for shot from the book, and it made the things they changed stick that much more". And again, not a judgment on the quality so much as my personal preference.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Toshimo posted:

If we don't count Justice League for either of them, Whedon has directed 3 films, and Snyder 7. I don't know why you'd split hairs on this particular hill.

What's his third film? I only know Avengers 1 and Avengers 2.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Firefly

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

That version of Much Ado About Nothing he filmed in two weeks.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

SiKboy posted:

Watchmen was pretty much Fine: The Movie. Which is commendable because I would have kind of bet against the graphic novel being filmable tbh. But I personally felt like it should have picked a lane between "I'm pointing a camera at actors recreating what was in the book" or "This is an adaptation, we're changing poo poo to make it work better on screen". I cant go into details, because I've not seen it since it was in the cinema, but I remember walking out thinking "that was about 90% shot for shot from the book, and it made the things they changed stick that much more". And again, not a judgment on the quality so much as my personal preference.

The most memorable parts of Watchmen and Dawn of the Dead are the musical montages, including the funeral set to "Sounds of Silence" in Watchmen.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I remember Watchmen changed the ending because “the original one was unfilmable” and then the Watchmen TV series showed you could film the absolute hell out of it. That scene was so good.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I saw an article the other day where people were telling Olivia Newton-John how poorly Grease has aged. Especially the drive-in scene.

quote:

"I think in this particular instance, I think it's kind of silly, because the movie was made in the '70s about the '50s," the 72-year-old said. "It was a stage play. It's a musical. It's fun."

Also, noted was the lack of minority students at the high school and the little bit of homophobia right before the big race scene.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I remember Watchmen changed the ending because “the original one was unfilmable” and then the Watchmen TV series showed you could film the absolute hell out of it. That scene was so good.

Yeah, I want to see Lindelof TV version of the original Watchmen story. It’d be much better than the film, guaranteed.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Watchmen is also fine in my book, even if the movie's ending I do agree is inferior. Havent seen the show, but I imagine it being a show allowed it to spend more time on developing towards that ending?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The show was good because it didn't treat the original characters or story with undue reverence and just made the characters from the book a bunch of goofy rear end in a top hat morons. Jeremy Irons in particular was amazing.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

DeafNote posted:

Watchmen is also fine in my book, even if the movie's ending I do agree is inferior. Havent seen the show, but I imagine it being a show allowed it to spend more time on developing towards that ending?

The show isn't telling the story of the original or the movie, it's set in the world where that happened in the past (the book, specifically, giant squid and all) and then telling it's own sort of story using that world.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
In the Snyderzone everyone gets Snyder. Join us!!!!!

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Mister Kingdom posted:

I saw an article the other day where people were telling Olivia Newton-John how poorly Grease has aged. Especially the drive-in scene.

Also, noted was the lack of minority students at the high school and the little bit of homophobia right before the big race scene.

This might not be popular but I'm gonna say it: Grease is bad.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Gaunab posted:

Grease is a musical and you have to like musicals pretty specific structure.

I do not

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Gaunab posted:

The movie sanitized the play a lot.

Besides the previously mentioned bits, the whole "you have to change yourself completely" to be accepted thing is not a good message. Although Danny improved himself somewhat, Sandy decided to skank herself up.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Who the hell ever thought Grease was worth watching anyway? I'm 34 and it had already aged badly when I was a kid.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I think at this point Grease is like Citizen Kane in that a lot of people talk about them from osmosis and have probably never actually seen them.

This is not a comparison of quality kind you

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I didn't see Grease until high school in the late 90s and it was not part of my cultural zeitgeist at all until that point. We saw it in class and all the girls were all about it and 16yo was entirely :staredog:.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Mister Kingdom posted:

The movie sanitized the play a lot.

Besides the previously mentioned bits, the whole "you have to change yourself completely" to be accepted thing is not a good message. Although Danny improved himself somewhat, Sandy decided to skank herself up.

I watching it in the 90s and the joke seemed to be all the stuff they talked about was obviously terrible and not good even in the context it was set in. Like even John Travolta was having to lie about how much of a player he was to impress his guy friends because he was afraid to admit he had a good time with a girl without borderline raping her.

Did people ever watch Grease with a sense of longing or nostalgia?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

DeafNote posted:

Like others have said, it’s not adapting the graphic novel. There’s a scene at the beginning of an episode that’s about a character who was around the fake alien squid, though, and it shows the aftermath and even pans over the squid and it’s phenomenal, it’s gotta be online somewhere.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

SiKboy posted:

I feel like Guardians of the Galaxy and Ant-man particularly was marvel testing the water for "what do we do when the superhero bubble bursts?". Ant Man was a heist movie that happened to have superpowers. Guardians was a space opera which could very easily have been made with no ties to any other marvel movie at all. And they worked and they made money. So now marvel know that if the bubble bursts the public will probably be willing to watch movies in other genres that use their characters and just dial back the shared universe bits. And then of course we're 6 years on from Ant-man and the bubble hasnt burst yet, so maybe they wont need to fall back on that for a while.

And I feel like DCs main problem is they wanted to jump straight to The Avengers without doing the legwork of Iron Man, Hulk, Iron Man Again, Thor and Captain America first. Marvel spent 5 movies establishing these individual characters, their powers, their supporting cast before the big crossover movie where they smashed their action figures together, and that movie didnt introduce any other main cast (I am willing to entertain discussion on Hawkeye and Black Widow, as they had really been little more than cameos in pre-avengers movies, but still, they'd been shown, their gimmicks and something of a character established). DC went, what, a mediocre superman movie, Batman Vs Superman (which is just a bad movie all round), suicide squad (which actually didnt tie into Justice League at all that I remember, and was also a criminal waste of the concept and cast) and I honestly dont remember if Wonder Woman was before JL or after (though for the record its probably the best of the pre-justice league DCU movies). Warner had seen the success of the MCU and the Avengers and went "I want that, and I want it now" and werent willing to lay the groundwork to build the foundations of the shared universe before doing the big crossover.

So Justice League had to introduce Cyborg, The Flash, Aquaman, their powers, their motivations, their relationships with the rest of the league and still tell a coherent story in between the action figures being smashed together, and the constant pressure from Warner Bros. Under ideal circumstances even an excellent director would struggle with that. Snyder is a stylish director, but I wouldnt say hes excellent, and on his best day Whedon rises to "broadly speaking competant as a director (while still being a failure of a human being)", so Justice League being what it was shouldnt really be a surprise. I'm vaguely curious about the Snyder cut, but I'm personally lukewarm on him tbh. Will probably see it at some point though.

I never understood this particular complaint. You can absolutely make a team up movie without having a solo movie for each protagonist. It's not like they are all deep and complex characters anyways.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

pentyne posted:

I watching it in the 90s and the joke seemed to be all the stuff they talked about was obviously terrible and not good even in the context it was set in. Like even John Travolta was having to lie about how much of a player he was to impress his guy friends because he was afraid to admit he had a good time with a girl without borderline raping her.

Did people ever watch Grease with a sense of longing or nostalgia?

If you've ever watched any 50s teen movies (which I have via MST3K), you would think nostalgia maybe?

It's surprising that the lesser T-Birds deserve the reputation the gang supposedly has.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I never understood this particular complaint. You can absolutely make a team up movie without having a solo movie for each protagonist. It's not like they are all deep and complex characters anyways.

I mean the original justice league was built on here are the characters you like together. Outside the big boys A general audience isn’t going to have that connection.

Hell before the iron man movies he was B level at best in popularity

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Yeah if you go to 2000 and ask the general public about superheroes you probably wouldn't hear Iron Man once.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Lindelof didn't understand Watchmen either so I doubt his adaptation would've been a great deal better (this isn't a judgment of the show as its own thing).

Groovelord Neato has a new favorite as of 03:13 on Feb 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grunch Worldflower
Nov 16, 2020

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Yeah if you go to 2000 and ask the general public about superheroes you probably wouldn't hear Iron Man once.

Hell, at any point before the MCU I'd have trouble naming a single Marvel hero other than Spider-Man*. Thanks to all the animated stuff, DC basically had a monopoly on my entire knowledge of superheroes and still managed to gently caress up the DCU.

*I could name some of the X-Men but I wouldn't have known who they belonged to.

Grunch Worldflower has a new favorite as of 03:22 on Feb 13, 2021