Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

even though my female characters are always extremely thirsty pussyhounds I had no interest in going there. we had one conversation and she was like "I believe in God, btw" and the game tried to make it a big thing when I wanted to just say, "uh ok cool". Then I think the very next convo had an option to say "I like you". She really had no other personality of note.

https://youtu.be/WgFHIR7lLC0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I did a trilogy playthrough where I romanced Ashley but left her with the bomb. I loved her, but needed the best person for the job to see the bomb went off. That way I could romance Tali free of guilt.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

chaosapiant posted:

I did a trilogy playthrough where I romanced Ashley but left her with the bomb. I loved her, but needed the best person for the job to see the bomb went off. That way I could romance Tali free of guilt.

And then you told Tali to lead the fireteam.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Kurieg posted:

This is incorrect because Sera has the lamest personal quest and is the worst character.

lol very true. but i was annoyed that dorian, a character i thought was interesting and compelling main quest was "well daddy hates me because i am gay, so lets have a long chat with him and he comes around" i mean thats cool and i like that dorian is great character plus gay but i kinda wish his whole quest had been beyond just that trope, because his character is better than that.

i went with the turian because she had a personality and the other two options was "butch space warrior" and annoying thief who sucks.

chaosapiant posted:

yeah. i might do that in the legendary edition. i like liara but the whole "she will outlive you by like 1000 years" sucks. prefer tali because i get my loving malibu stacy dream house with her.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. i might do that in the legendary edition. i like liara but the whole "she will outlive you by like 1000 years" sucks. prefer tali because i get my loving malibu stacy dream house with her.

Yeah yeah, but more importantly, them hips don’t lie. :pervert:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

pentyne posted:

Honestly my perception of Sera has wavered over the course of the years since DA:I came out.

On one hand, she absolutely is the stupidest loving person in the game and every time she opens her mouth you want to throw her off a cliff.

On the other she's actual got some layers to why she is such a gently caress up, and the game lets you at any time tell her to gently caress off and never come back, even during the romance. I don't think any of the other NPCs have such a level of flexibility for being able to call them on their bullshit.

Her intro being the "theys got no pants rofl rofl rofl" was about as tumblr monkeycheese as it could possible get and set such a bad tone for her that I don't blame people for hating on her. To actually see the layers peel back you have to want to engage with her and so much of the early stuff is unbearable until you realize it leads to a half decent explanation to what is going on with her.

yeah. thats my issue with her. there is some genuinely interesting ideas and layers there. her being a self hating elf mixed possibly with her being a self hating mage i do like that she claims to be the big rebel/revolutionary but she is too caught up in her own dumb bullshit to actually do anything useful.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

chaosapiant posted:

Yeah yeah, but more importantly, them hips don’t lie. :pervert:

that and the accent/weird girl thing works too. plus her little scene if you take her with you in the extended cut is loving gut punch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66FV7dTdwiw

its sappy as poo poo but it always hits me in the feels.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. thats my issue with her. there is some genuinely interesting ideas and layers there. her being a self hating elf mixed possibly with her being a self hating mage i do like that she claims to be the big rebel/revolutionary but she is too caught up in her own dumb bullshit to actually do anything useful.

I liked Sera. She’s doing her damndest to convince everyone she hates elves and “the man”, and it’s primarily just so she can get validation and believe those things herself. With exception to the goofy randomness, I’ve known people very similar to her.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

chaosapiant posted:

I liked Sera. She’s doing her damndest to convince everyone she hates elves and “the man”, and it’s primarily just so she can get validation and believe those things herself. With exception to the goofy randomness, I’ve known people very similar to her.

oh me too. its why i hate her. she isnt the worst character ever but she is too real to be likable for me.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Dapper_Swindler posted:

oh me too. its why i hate her. she isnt the worst character ever but she is too real to be likable for me.

I think that’s the mark of a good character. If you hate a character because of who she is and not how she’s written or whatever, then I think it works. And the game knows she’s polarizing which is why you can jettison her from the team whenever you want.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

chaosapiant posted:

I think that’s the mark of a good character. If you hate a character because of who she is and not how she’s written or whatever, then I think it works. And the game knows she’s polarizing which is why you can jettison her from the team whenever you want.

agreed.

Killed a Girl in 96
Jun 15, 2001

DON'T STOP CAN'T STOP
who the gently caress doesn't kill kaiden. that pussy bitch gets the axe every run.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Killed a Girl in 96 posted:

who the gently caress doesn't kill kaiden. that pussy bitch gets the axe every run.

what is his character anyway. he got hosed up from biotic school?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i went with the turian because she had a personality and the other two options was "butch space warrior" and annoying thief who sucks.

awkard Ryder is pretty funny all. The Ryder sister had some good moments.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
The thing that makes her irredeemable to me is after the Temple of Mythal. She's positively giddy that the elves fell into ruin on their own and their gods aren't "real" like the Maker obviously is, and she gets loving pissed if you don't agree.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Dapper_Swindler posted:

what is his character anyway. he got hosed up from biotic school?

Basically yes. He lived the “full metal
Jacket” life until he killed his instructor with a boot to the chin. And he’s been a mopey L2 ever since.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I just fired up Andromeda again because maybe this time around I know what to expect so it won't be so bad. As soon as I got to "*gasp* We made it." it all came flooding back. Made as far as the first moment the UI lock ended and I could quit to desktop.

E: I want to play a space game dammit. Are there any hidden good ones out there?

Funky See Funky Do fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Feb 13, 2021

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I just fired up Andromeda again because maybe this time around I know what to expect so it won't be so bad. As soon as I got to "*gasp* We made it." it all came flooding back. Made as far as the first moment the UI lock ended and I could quit to desktop.

E: I want to play a space game dammit. Are there any hidden good ones out there?

Play Metroid prime trilogy

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
I never bothered to romance Ashley in 1 but I did once in 3. I think I left Tali for her or something lol.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

thrilla in vanilla posted:

Play Metroid prime trilogy

That does not appear to be on steam. Seems like Everspace 2 (which is early access) or Star Wars Squadron (I hate everything star wars) are all there really is.

It's weird how few space games there are!

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FTL: Faster Than Light, Rimworld, Rebel Galaxy

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

That does not appear to be on steam. Seems like Everspace 2 (which is early access) or Star Wars Squadron (I hate everything star wars) are all there really is.

Stellaris, Slipways. Masters of orion?

if you're wanting a bioware-alike and are okay with it not being spacey, Greedfall is okay.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

x3: terran conflict, elite: dangerous

if you wanna go real old-school about it, there's starflight, buck rogers: countdown to doomsday and star control 2. in fact all three of these games are extremely mass effect if it were made 30 or so years ago.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

OhFunny posted:

What squad mates did everyone frequently use?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

All of them in regular rotation.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

It really is hilarious that Liara's outfit looks more like actual combat armor than the leather jacket with shoulderbits that the actual loving Soldier is wearing.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Ashley has always gotten stuck with lovely armour. rip ashley

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Why does Liara's armor here look like the girl cenobite from the first Hellraiser movie?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Sally posted:

Ashley has always gotten stuck with lovely armour. rip ashley

I love that there's not just one but several mods for Mass Effect 3 specifically geared towards giving Ashley actual armour instead of that dumb battledress smock thing she has.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Sydin posted:

I really like how it's super evident that about half way through writing DA2's script Bioware realized that nobody was going to side with the Templars because half their players were going to play a mage and also they're a bunch of insane fundies. So it quickly becomes a plot point that 99% of mages are loving morons who will resort to blood magic at the drop of a hat and even if you side with the Mages and clearly have everything under control the head of the circle will still completely flip his poo poo for no reason and turn himself into a blood mage abomination you have to fight.

I think the ending of DA2 was the most fed up with a game I've ever been, because of that poo poo. I actually quite like DA2 in a lot of ways, but fuuuuck that.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's very funny how what the writers clearly want you to think about mages is so utterly at odds with the text of all three Dragon Age games. The phrase "ludonarrative dissonance" gets thrown around quite irresponsibly but here it is well-deserved.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

thinkin bout that alternate universe that's out there somewhere where the people that wrote mass effect had played Volition's Masterpiece Freespace 2 before they did the mass effect thing and therefore had actually good ideas about how to write their godzilla robot squid space boogeymen instead of THIS HURTS YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Psycho Landlord posted:

thinkin bout that alternate universe that's out there somewhere where the people that wrote mass effect had played Volition's Masterpiece Freespace 2 before they did the mass effect thing and therefore had actually good ideas about how to write their godzilla robot squid space boogeymen instead of THIS HURTS YOU

Sounds like a crap universe imho.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

exquisite tea posted:

Sounds like a crap universe imho.

much like your posting!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
the THIS HURTS YOU BOOGEYMAN rules. Harbinger was a great villain (in ME2... not 3)

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

jesus christ

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

the term "cringe" gets overused a lot these days, but holy loving poo poo that was awful

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
Maybe andromeda is bad

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

It's very funny how what the writers clearly want you to think about mages is so utterly at odds with the text of all three Dragon Age games. The phrase "ludonarrative dissonance" gets thrown around quite irresponsibly but here it is well-deserved.

And yet in the DA thread there are people who passionately (I poo poo you not) argue, that mage genocide is an absolute must because beep boop they will statistically lead to demons and further synthetics will always outcompete...

It kinda reminds me of Warhammer 40k. Like yeah you can justify turbofascism if you create a setting where it's the only way to solve a problem you invented. Going 'oh but you see a posessed mage / geth 2.0 hivemind / rogue psyker can blow up an entire GALAXY if they make a mistake' doesn't prove anything.

The writers are just fiddling the existential threat level until it makes them right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

It's hilarious that 2 does rather explicitly want you to side with the mages, but the two mages it gives you as party members are a terrorist abomination and a blood mage.
Inquisition does a better job of it because It's very clear that the only person who wants the circle to go back to the way they were is Vivienne, who had a position such where she had all the benefits of the circles but none of their drawbacks. Even cullen is disillusioned with them. It's a very abstinence only education thing where if you don't teach Mages how to deal with these terrible things that can happen to them then they won't have the means to do so.