Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
As touched on in this SWORD, Manifold's also been pretty present in TNC's run on Black Panther.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth
ahahah the first three pages of X-Force :allears:

e: oh my god his list, I mean his body image problems are really sad too but it's the funniest thing done with Ressurection Protocols yet

e2: the whole issue is just delightful

Protagorean fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Feb 11, 2021

Njashi9
Nov 2, 2012
S.W.O.R.D: It's about time that Orchis gets some screentime. In HoXPoX it felt like they were established as the main antagonist of this era of X-Men, but we haven't really seen anything of them since then. Ewing also ties it neatly with Immortal Hulk.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Njashi9 posted:

S.W.O.R.D: It's about time that Orchis gets some screentime. In HoXPoX it felt like they were established as the main antagonist of this era of X-Men, but we haven't really seen anything of them since then. Ewing also ties it neatly with Immortal Hulk.

It's really funny how we're supposed to be super-scared of Gyrich, while Ewing literally has him be the dork who's so bad at computer that he prints a super-secure email.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

glitchwraith posted:

I think it's important to note that Xavier isn't buying fully into the anti-human sentiments. He's just realized that the only way mutants will get a level playing field is to control the field themselves. He's just not preaching coexistence as much because after four or five genocides, it becomes politically disadvantageous to keep giving the perpetrators further chances to reform themselves.

That seems like a pretty good definition of "anti-human sentiments" to me.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Protagorean posted:

ahahah the first three pages of X-Force :allears:

e: oh my god his list, I mean his body image problems are really sad too but it's the funniest thing done with Ressurection Protocols yet

e2: the whole issue is just delightful

It was such a delightful issue. I love that Quentin Quire has gone from a resentful incel (back when that term wasn't as popular) to actually an interesting character, that is enough of a shithead that it's fun to see him in trouble, but also deep enough that I like when things go well with him, like being part of a team or dating Phoebe. They make a good couple.

Also, I would love to see what cosmetic changes would other characters make for their ressurections.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, if anything, Wolverine and Cyclops feel like the ones we're supposed to feel are a little ambivalent about the whole thing. Logan especially, which makes sense as he's lived with humans the longest of anyone bar Moira or Apocalypse, more or less.

Honestly, I feel like I'd be less put off by it if there was even the implication that the other major characters pushed back against some of the more controversial elements. Sure, maybe they lost the debate, but there's a distinct 'round up everyone at the compound and lovebomb them if they try to leave' feeling. Other than SWORD (which I'm here for because of Ewing and liking the concept from previously), I've only made it to basically vol 2 of Dawn, and I feel like we're about 2 issues from seeing Erik Lensherr's Dianetics.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gaz-L posted:

Yeah, if anything, Wolverine and Cyclops feel like the ones we're supposed to feel are a little ambivalent about the whole thing. Logan especially, which makes sense as he's lived with humans the longest of anyone bar Moira or Apocalypse, more or less.

Look at the two people who've spent more time with humans than Logan and their opinions on humanity and explain to me again why Logan should be more sympathetic towards humanity.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Well one of them is basically the ancient wizard version of a boomer who thinks anyone who can't pull themselves up by their bootstraps and literally beat a dragon to death is unworthy of life and the other... I'd need to double check, but isn't she literally killed by mutants in every life where she dies by violence? And the whole thing where she basically resents her husband from her first life for... being the guy she fell in love with? Makes me think she's a kinda lovely person. Logan's whole drifter ronin thing means he spends a bunch of time with regular people and, like he points out in the first few issues of the new X-Force, we're all basically just animals trying to do what we can to make it.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Feb 11, 2021

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gaz-L posted:

Well one of them is basically the ancient wizard version of a boomer who thinks anyone who can't pull themselves up by their bootstraps and literally beat a dragon to death is unworthy of life and the other... I'd need to double check, but isn't she literally killed by mutants in every life where she dies by violence?

Nah, I think just the time she was killed by Pyro and the time she directly asked Wolverine to kill her so she could try again.

And Lol if you don't think Wolverine isn't also an ancient boomer.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Logan actually kills her in two of her runs (and I'm reasonably sure we're gonna get 3, unless that's already happened?). And we don't really see the one where she decides to go with Magneto, but I think it's said she dies in a prison riot?

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Feb 11, 2021

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

Logan actually kills her in two of her runs (and I'm reasonably sure we're gonna get 3, unless that's already happened?). And we don't really see the one where she decides to go with Magneto, but I think it's said she dies in a prison riot?

So that's 3 out of 9, the prison riot one definitely doesn't count even if it was a stray mutant blast.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

It's really funny how we're supposed to be super-scared of Gyrich, while Ewing literally has him be the dork who's so bad at computer that he prints a super-secure email.

gyrich has never needed to be smart or charismatic to be dangerous. it's because gyrich continually fails upward, which means he always has authority and resources. one sparsely staffed sentinel head space station was bad and the x-men didn't even really succeed in taking that down. what if they make more of them? what if they have access to the full catalog of anti-mutant technology from across the world?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Skwirl posted:

Nah, I think just the time she was killed by Pyro

The time Pyro killed her was the 3rd life where she was LITERALLY TRYING TO CURE MUTANTDOM. So I think there's some reason for why a mutant was the end of that life.

One of the major reasons the Moira retcon works so well is her self-actualization (and radicalization). She goes from "maybe I'm a mistake!" to realizing that her people are hunted because they're different to seeing enough outcomes to know that humanity will never stop trying to kill her and her kind.

I get the complaint that some handwaving happens so that virtually every mutant just buys into Krakoa without much thought. But they literally explain how long it took for Moira to convince Xavier to join her fully, even after she exposed him to her lives. Xavier had access to all of the terrible poo poo that humanity did over multiple timelines and still wasn't quite on board until recently.

(I'm still hung up on the idea that Moira X suggested that this life, she was going to do something completely radical and different and I'm still hoping whatever that is is revealed to be something other than Krakoa. She explicitly writes in her journal that Krakoa and resurrection are Xavier's ideas. What is MOIRA doing differently/radically in this life?)

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
whatever she is doing, the precog ban is part of it. there's nothing on krakoa we've seen that would warrant that policy. what's a precog going to do, predict that krakoa will be destroyed by human bigots? oh, what a shocker.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

whatever she is doing, the precog ban is part of it. there's nothing on krakoa we've seen that would warrant that policy. what's a precog going to do, predict that krakoa will be destroyed by human bigots? oh, what a shocker.

I assume she's either afraid they'll reveal her master plan. Or reveal she got it wrong again.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
speaking of Moira, has she appeared at all since House/Powers of X?

i know that she'll be back in a big way eventually, but i'm kinda getting impatient for that to pay off more directly

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

FoneBone posted:

speaking of Moira, has she appeared at all since House/Powers of X?

i know that she'll be back in a big way eventually, but i'm kinda getting impatient for that to pay off more directly

I think she was only seen in the Mystique issue of X-Men and that scene took place during HoXPoX.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Angel/Monet X-Corp series that was teased in X-Men before X of Swords is coming

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/1359964539878576130?s=20

Not a fan of the coloring on Monet though.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Nobody ever explained who that Moneta from Age of X was, right?

radlum
May 13, 2013

Skwirl posted:

Angel/Monet X-Corp series that was teased in X-Men before X of Swords is coming

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/1359964539878576130?s=20

Not a fan of the coloring on Monet though.

They have corrected the coloring; it's so bad that this has happened twice, but at least they were fast to correct it.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

radlum posted:

They have corrected the coloring; it's so bad that this has happened twice, but at least they were fast to correct it.

They deleted the previously-linked tweet, presumably for the corrected version:

E: https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/1360028505258528781

DivineCoffeeBinge fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Feb 12, 2021

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

radlum posted:

It's happened way more than twice. This poo poo has happened with Darwin and loving Storm even.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Book looks amazing if they can get the coloring right. I adore that cover.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Open Marriage Night posted:

New Tini Howard X-Book is always good news.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

I meant Mr & Mrs X, I'm just not fond of the name of that book. The one consistent plot thread in that title was Rogue processing her trauma and as a result becoming able to control her powers, and even getting to a point where touch wasn't even necessary.

As I read it, her level of control is effectively tied to her emotional state now and this has been a real hectic period.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Open Marriage Night posted:

Aja is God Tier.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
One of these days Hollow will get to do something.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Tini Howard writing Monet is going to be a delight.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

They deleted the previously-linked tweet, presumably for the corrected version:

E: https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/1360028505258528781

Monet really should have done Warren a solid and gave some advice on fixing his oily T zone.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

danbanana posted:

Aja is God Tier.

I should have realized that from the silhouettes, but I was focused on the shadows.

Between this and Way of X, my two childhood favorites are both getting starring roles in X books.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Monet really should have done Warren a solid and gave some advice on fixing his oily T zone.

I kinda feel like part of Monet's power set is never having to use skin care products.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Skwirl posted:

I kinda feel like part of Monet's power set is never having to use skin care products.

How does she have Penance's power set now? I know the St. Clair family even for a mutant lineage is complicated.

(God, is Emplate on the island? That's weird, right?)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

How does she have Penance's power set now? I know the St. Clair family even for a mutant lineage is complicated.

(God, is Emplate on the island? That's weird, right?)

Emplate was definitely mentioned, they're even said to be one of the failsafes for Krakoa's leeching off the populace, like Emplate and Selene are meant to monitor everyone's like, essence, and make sure the island's not taking too much and vice versa.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Dawgstar posted:

She and the twins have Penance as essentially an alternate form now.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

rantmo posted:

Which is why her and Angel make such a great idea for a team.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

rantmo posted:

ah, dragon install

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

rantmo posted:

Which is weird, because Hollow (Yvette/Penance) is an individual, too. She saved Gen-X from a Sasquatch (not the Alpha Flight one, just one of the weird animalistic ones that look just like him) after the twins and Monet had been excised, so that body clearly wasn't just an empty shell; but I don't think she's been seen since Avengers Academy or A vs X or something like that. So... 2012? 2013?

It's weird being a fan of a character who's done basically nothing. There're just so many unanswered questions there.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Feb 13, 2021

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Now I'd forgotten that Hollow is another St. Clair sibling. Wow. I think I remember her from that Loners miniseries few remember where Power Pack's Lightspeed came out as bi. (Although there they were leaning more towards lesbian but I think the official word is bi.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Hollow's really weird, both because of her backstory and because of her meta history. It clearly wasn't intended for her to be secretly the Real Monet from the start and that twist really messed with her. Even back in Gen-X everyone forgot she existed right after she woke up from having the twins exploded out of her by the bomb that killed Synch; and in the last issue when the team breaks up none of her friends bother to tell Penance/Hollow that the team is disbanding so I imagine she just kept going to the empty Massachusetts Academy for a while before eventually getting captured by an MGH ring in time for the Loners mini.

So she's not a traditional sibling, she probably isn't blood related to Marius or Monet or the Twins, but assuming Marius/Emplate isn't lying (he is) he implies he created Yvette/Penance out of nothing, which should count. Since that's not really a power he's exhibited since, it's pretty in character for that to be total bullshit. He was already starting to resemble her at that point, so Yvette/Hollow was probably just a mutant he found and was feeding on who just so happened to be perfectly suited to contain Monet.

Emplate has a type, and his type is: "tough enough to survive multiple repeated feedings." If they're not at least as tough as Monet he doesn't bother with them unless he's desperate. It's why he abducted Bling instead of, say, Eye Boy and that's a big reason why I find Emplate really interesting (yes, you've found probably the world's only Emplate fan). He's unrepentant about his feeding because he has to do it; but even though he could just murder people he instead chooses victims who can survive him (Yvette/Monet/Bling) or beat him (Monet/Chamber/Synch). Even though he's a megalomaniac driven by pure hunger, he always seems reluctant to actually kill anyone and nearly always sets himself up for failure (why target the X-Men? He claims it's for convenience but I think it's because he knows they'll stop him before he goes too far).

He's basically a creepier version of Rogue with more disgusting / crippling powers, but there's a lot going on there. Rather than being driven by guilt over putting Carol Danvers in a coma, he's driven by guilt for accidentally killing his mother. He's one of those characters who could really work on Krakoa, if they find time to explore him.

Anyway, Yvette/Hollow is weird at all levels. Leech has no effect on her, at all, and even though she spent a lot of time in Leech's presence, doing so didn't release Monet or the Twins. It gets even weirder when you learn the Monet family can "gestalt" with one another. Claudette + Nicolette = Fake Monet, Fake Monet + Emplate = M-Plate. Monet + Emplate = A slightly different, less powerful M-Plate. But when they Gestalt with Hollow, they just stay Hollow. It's like she's a psionic void they can't escape.

TLDR: Hollow and Emplate are both cool and should be used more.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Feb 13, 2021