Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the coolest, raddest demon lady in all the land?
This poll is closed.
Bowsette 62 17.22%
Bowsette 40 11.11%
Bowsette 44 12.22%
Bowsette 39 10.83%
Bowsette 47 13.06%
128 35.56%
Total: 195 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

homeless snail posted:

if its anything like the 360 version, not at all. fox engine fucks

The Fox Engine being stuck at Konami is a drat tragedy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Electric Phantasm posted:

The Fox Engine being stuck at Konami is a drat tragedy.

I don't know, anybody who really wanted to could build the same or better. At this point its 5 year old tech that hasn't been maintained. And wasn't it hard to develop with? That's pretty important.

MGS5 looked pretty good but did it do anything groundbreaking tech wise?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Not groundbreaking, no, but it is a high-end engine tailor-made for the kind of stealth action game that MGS5 is. There could've been a lot of great games of that genre made in it, if only it wasn't stuck with Konami.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The Quiet mission is the True Ending of the game and it was great

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

There isn't a single cutscene in MGS5 that I was glad to sit through.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The one where they sent Huey off was pretty good

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

homeless snail posted:

also its kinda tough to call mgsv half finished, i don't really buy it. definitely kojima getting locked in a closet and having to communicate with his team by passing notes under the door probably derailed some stuff, but by all indications the game is essentially what it was meant to be and it wraps up pretty conclusively. people hold up mission 51 but it was cut early on and really would have been more of a teaser for a mgs7 that will never exist than something that belongs in V, and everything else that people point to as evidence that the game is unfinished, is either straight out of peace walker or the natural extension of something in peace walker (charitably i dont think a lot of those people played PW though)

i rate the "mgsv is half finished" meme, a failmeme

But have you considered Never Be Game Over

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Went back to SoulCalibur VI to finish Edge Master Mode (i guess it's called libra of soul now) with 2B.

In a world of swordfighters, having a full-screen laser projectile feels very good. Also the fishing attack

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

hatty posted:

That one's really more about the meme potential.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

hatty posted:

Huey deserved worse. Getting cucked to death was too good for him.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

homeless snail posted:

also its kinda tough to call mgsv half finished, i don't really buy it. definitely kojima getting locked in a closet and having to communicate with his team by passing notes under the door probably derailed some stuff, but by all indications the game is essentially what it was meant to be and it wraps up pretty conclusively. people hold up mission 51 but it was cut early on and really would have been more of a teaser for a mgs7 that will never exist than something that belongs in V, and everything else that people point to as evidence that the game is unfinished, is either straight out of peace walker or the natural extension of something in peace walker (charitably i dont think a lot of those people played PW though)

i rate the "mgsv is half finished" meme, a failmeme

Naw, I'd negotiate up to 2/3rds finished. There would be another map and every mission would have sustenance option and there would not be a filler act of abstract anachronistic missions. Konami saw he had more than enough for a great game that was going to sell itself regardless of quality and have no interest themselves in what it is or does besides make them money, as much and as soon as possible.

A Kojima given infinite time and budget on one project could create the Dwarf Fortress of emergent action tactical stealth espionage whatever you call ems. Depends on the Kojima I suppose, could get instead a Death Stranding where you end up ditching the jet-glider for deployable space elevator cables to rebuild america throughout the solar system.

Maybe it is better to measure the completeness of a Kojima game instead just by total development time.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Grapplejack posted:

Huey deserved worse. Getting cucked to death was too good for him.
I have never before been happy to know that a paraplegic man drowned to death while someone else was screwing his wife and I hate Huey all the more for doing that to me.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Cardiovorax posted:

I have never before been happy to know that a paraplegic man drowned to death while someone else was screwing his wife and I hate Huey all the more for doing that to me.

while his son was screwing his wife

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

grieving for Gandalf posted:

while his son was screwing his wife

Stepmom! (you have to specify for legal liability)

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I was just about to say because I forgot that tidbit of his death and looked it up. I remember being super pissed Venom wouldn't let us like, fulton him into the sun or something but lmao usurped by the superior emmerich death is pretty satisfying. The only downside is Dr. Hal "this guy fucks" otacon felt bad about it (because he is such a good dude)

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Khanstant posted:

I was just about to say because I forgot that tidbit of his death and looked it up. I remember being super pissed Venom wouldn't let us like, fulton him into the sun or something but lmao usurped by the superior emmerich death is pretty satisfying. The only downside is Dr. Hal "this guy fucks" otacon felt bad about it (because he is such a good dude)

I thought Otacon's issue with the event was that Huey tried to drown Emma in the process of killing himself.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Please remember that huey tried to take emma with him and failed because he fails at everything

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

He has mixed feelings about his stepmother - he was, after all, a minor being sexually molested by an older woman.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Shame about Emma

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Emmerichs piss their pants a lot

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

He has mixed feelings about his stepmother - he was, after all, a minor being sexually molested by an older woman.

oh well then that just makes this whole thing end horrible again gently caress you huey, gently caress you venom

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Oof, I knew about Huey trying to kill Emma but I just learned that Emma was sexually assaulted by her second stepdad too :(

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It's honestly a miracle that Otacon came out as well-adjusted and wholesome as he is. Nicest guy ever, really.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Mission 51 might have been cut early on but without it you get absolutely no closure toward from Eli driving off in a nuclear mech with a vial full on horribly lethal parasites. Leaving the cutscene in the game is explicitly meant to let you know that no, this isn't some cliffhanger, we just couldn't finish this narrative. If it was meant to be a cliffhanger they wouldn't have included the footage because it would just end up needing to be retconned.

The fact that the Sahelanthropus fight sucks so bad and you have to do it twice feels like obvious padding. There's only two other boss fight in the entire game and one of them also sucks very bad, so the fact that the series-defining setpiece fights are basically completely missing makes the game feel not done. Mission 50 is cool but it feels completely disconnected from any narrative leading up to it, like every single cutscene in Part 2 could have been randomly shuffled in any order and it would make an equal amount of sense. There conclusion to the Man on Fire situation sucks, Psycho Mantis is just kind of around, Skull Face is dealt with in the dumbest way. Just tons of things that feel like they were thrown in because of time constraints and there's just no way they were what the team originally intended, because all of the parts of the game that do feel finished are so great, like the end of Quiet's arc.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

hatty posted:

I’d like to play MGSV again but to make it interesting maybe I’ll try the PS3 version. To see how cut back it is

its near indistinguishable from the ps4 version, even on graphics

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

N-N-N-NINE BREAKER posted:

dunno if you already know this, but you can group up a certain number of nearby units using the 'g' key. That plus taking control of a unit with 'ctrl' to fly/float/walk to strategically advantageous positions is how you win the harder maps.

the level's setup where i can barely get the materials needed to build units and i can only get the most basic ones.. by the time i amass enough defense and units they already have flying ships that constantly repair their buildings and huge armies that keep spawning. not only that, the basic anti-air gun has a shorter reach than their air units.

then you can't even built near them until you destroy their core which is well guarded for however many units you can actually control.

it feels completely tacked on and pointless, and honestly not very fun at all considering the time constraints put on you. on the one hand trying to build a defense, and on the other hand your units are so dumb they can't work around your own wallins.

you search online for how to beat these levels and these people are already well into the game talking about getting materials i haven't even mined yet let alone are able to build on that planet.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

fox engine is very good and not just for stealth games, its just a very well made engine. but its not like what kojimas team did with decima is somehow a let down

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

They should have remastered mgs4 by now imho

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Whizzing Wizard posted:

They should have remastered mgs4 by now imho

Should have done a MGS Collection by now

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Why doesn't VC4 autosave?

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Infinitum posted:

Should have done a MGS Collection by now

Do I have news for you!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

What is Durchschnitt

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

a miserable pile of Siekritz

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

What is Durchschnitt
Average.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I've really grown to resent MGSV over the years. Yeah it had fine stealth mechanics but it was lacking in everything that makes Kojima's games enjoyable. Peace Walker was better imo.

Open world stealth really doesn't do it for me. Ground Zeroes was fine because it was so tight and felt like a really good Nu Hitman level. MSGV's areas are mostly flat landscapes and none of the buildings/bases felt fun to infiltrate.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I was playing this old game called zeus + poseidon and hoo boy was I playing this game completely wrong.

I somehow missed the "tutorial" button that taught me how to actually play the game and man I was just doing everything wrong, I was not approaching this city builder the right way.

Any of you ever have that kind of experience, just something where you realized that you were playing something entirely wrong? I can only compare it to the guy who couldn't figure out jumping in cuphead and didn't know how to allocate points in mass effect or the dude who was very confused about fishing in nier.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I spent weeks loving around with the demo of Zeus. I don’t think I was very good at it, but i was still in love with it.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I spent my time in the first mission making what I thought was a good town because I had roads connecting everything and the appropriate amount of people working the various buildings so that healers could cure people, water could get delivered to households, and olives could get pressed into oil. I couldn't make a military though and for whatever reason I pissed off some dude and he took over my town while poo poo in my town was catching on fire or crumbling spontaneously or people were suffering plagues and nobody was actually getting any food and the merchant stalls were empty.

For people who have never played it before, what I did was really stupid because it turns out the way the game mechanics work is that you are basically building a bunch of interconnected racetracks rather than a city. If you approach it with the mindset of "I will create a block of homes and they will automatically be provided with food and water and medical visits" then you have made the same mistake I made.

What happens is that you have buildings that, when employing people, will send out a unit to walk the road and it will perform some task, whether that task is delivering goods, retrieving goods, or just walking around giving everyone lessons on culture or how to build up muscle. You want to build these looping roads so that the walkers will go down the road and go around, hitting enough houses and keeping them on the up and up without leaving any to suffer without their needs met, and you still need to connect these loops to other loops for deliveries to get made so you add roadblocks to the loops so that certain walkers will stay on the track and others that handle movement of goods will automatically bypass the roadblocks.

So you're just building a bunch of racetracks connected to larger racetracks. And there's more past that still.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

FirstAidKite posted:

I was playing this old game called zeus + poseidon and hoo boy was I playing this game completely wrong.

I somehow missed the "tutorial" button that taught me how to actually play the game and man I was just doing everything wrong, I was not approaching this city builder the right way.

Any of you ever have that kind of experience, just something where you realized that you were playing something entirely wrong? I can only compare it to the guy who couldn't figure out jumping in cuphead and didn't know how to allocate points in mass effect or the dude who was very confused about fishing in nier.

I spent like a dozen failed runs on the first mandatory boss in Bloodborne only to realize that there was an option in the hub to forge and use all the blood titanite I got and clowned on him super hard after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Healbot posted:

Do I have news for you!

2012 was nearly a decade ago