Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Sopranos is good tv but it ain't the best thing ever or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Rhyno posted:

Sopranos is good tv but it ain't the best thing ever or anything.

It's hard to dismiss its historical significance, at the very least.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
To be serious, I think comparing wildly disparate shows is pants.

I mean, you don't hear country singers saying "My next album will be better than The Wall" because it's nonsense.

Atlanta is a lot more enjoyable than Sopranos to me, though Sopranos is great, but to judge them side by side seems kinda pointless

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm not doing that. But there are shows with more enjoyable casts and storylines.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
tbf sopranos is the best show ever and most of y’all are talking nonsense right now

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

abelwingnut posted:

i just hate all media that revolves around the mob or mafia or whatever. v :) v

it's so cheesy and tired and stupid.

Yeah, it's just not a setting/theme I enjoy. Tons of "really great" movies and such about em, but when watching 'em I'm always wishing it was about something else. Godfather I glaze over like that door shutting in my face, in my mind, everytime the mafia boys are doing mafia stuff.

Shageletic posted:

Sopranos makes you ruminate about toxic masculinity, toxic families, being toxic, etc. Atlanta doesn't have those aims I think (maybe I need to rewatch the eps).

Just being online has me ruminating enough about those thing 24/7.

I can just say "Sopranos is good" without bothering to watch it, like, I'm sure Citizen Kane is very good and it's Very Important that someone finally figured out camera angles or whatever but if I'm actually going to sit down and watch a movie right now, I'm going for Parasite or 100 other good movies I ain't seen yet, regardless of their eventual historical significance.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Rhyno posted:

I'm not doing that. But there are shows with more enjoyable casts and storylines.

I wasn't addressing anyone in particular.

Nobody thinks wildly different shows should maybe not be compared? I'm really crazy for thinking that? I don't compare RPGs to FPS games, I don't compare rap to death metal, saying that the Sopranos or Atlanta are

I just realized how pointless this post is, lol. Nobody's gonna agree with it or anything and I'm just gunna end up feeling bad. Never mind

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Open Source Idiom posted:

It's hard to dismiss its historical significance, at the very least.

I don't know if this is you too, but that's what I say when I don't want to fluster people who love that show. I slogged through a few seasons before giving up years ago, but present-day setting mobster stuff just does nothing for me.

I'm not going to say it's bad or anything, I've changed my opinions on a few shows since then that are way more outside my usual tastes. I don't really want to try again with it either though.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

abelwingnut posted:

i just hate all media that revolves around the mob or mafia or whatever. v :) v

it's so cheesy and tired and stupid.

Same. I just look at the characters and think "What a bunch of loving losers," from The Godfather to Goodfellas and beyond. Mythologizing the Italian mafia's deeply ugly exploits into genre feels like giving them attention and validation that they don't deserve, even if the films and shows are intended to be critical of that lifestyle.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Simone Magus posted:

I wasn't addressing anyone in particular.

Nobody thinks wildly different shows should maybe not be compared? I'm really crazy for thinking that? I don't compare RPGs to FPS games, I don't compare rap to death metal, saying that the Sopranos or Atlanta are

I just realized how pointless this post is, lol. Nobody's gonna agree with it or anything and I'm just gunna end up feeling bad. Never mind

That's not an unusual stance to take, I don't think anyone here would be comparing the two if Donald Glover didn't set the stage for it, and that stage is an arena for "best TV shows period" and Sopranos is one of the ones people throw in that ring. "Best art list" is certainly a foolish endeavor suited only for hierarchical-dependent apes, so all sorts of things end up fighting other things that don't make much sense.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Tony's kids and every plot involving them are miserable.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
My dad grew up across the street from Terry Winter and hated him as a kid and never watched The Sopranos because of that. It always made me laugh when he would complain about Winter stealing a bunch of comics and baseball cards from him whenever the show was mentioned.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Khanstant posted:

That's not an unusual stance to take, I don't think anyone here would be comparing the two if Donald Glover didn't set the stage for it, and that stage is an arena for "best TV shows period" and Sopranos is one of the ones people throw in that ring. "Best art list" is certainly a foolish endeavor suited only for hierarchical-dependent apes, so all sorts of things end up fighting other things that don't make much sense.

A fighting game featuring characters from a bunch of wildly different TV series

:hmmyes:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I wanna be Blanche from Golden Girls.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

feedmyleg posted:

Same. I just look at the characters and think "What a bunch of loving losers," from The Godfather to Goodfellas and beyond. Mythologizing the Italian mafia's deeply ugly exploits into genre feels like giving them attention and validation that they don't deserve, even if the films and shows are intended to be critical of that lifestyle.

You should DEFINITELY watch The Sopranos

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

IRQ posted:

I don't know if this is you too, but that's what I say when I don't want to fluster people who love that show. I slogged through a few seasons before giving up years ago, but present-day setting mobster stuff just does nothing for me.

I'm not going to say it's bad or anything, I've changed my opinions on a few shows since then that are way more outside my usual tastes. I don't really want to try again with it either though.

Yeah, this is absolutely me. I got halfway into Season 3, saw they were doing a -- I probably don't have to spoiler this, but I don't know how far you got -- rape plot with Doctor Melfi and it turned out to be just as miserable as I thought it would be. Not bad, absolutely not bad, just miserable.

I just wasn't engaging with the story being told, because I just don't engage with the tropes its using and subverting. The comedy's great, one of the funniest shows on television. But it might as well have been a well-observed, highly detailed satire concerning the crazy habits of Antarctic marine biologists for all that it spoke to me.

I realised I was watching it because it was good, rather than because I was engaging with it, so I stopped.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Wait what's this show about the arctic marine biologists, I'm sold.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Khanstant posted:

No, sorry, it's ACTUALLY about Antarctic marine biologists, and I've decided you wouldn't like it.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Khanstant posted:

There was a great The Thing-inspired episode of The X-Files about this.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Open Source Idiom posted:

No, sorry, it's ACTUALLY about Antarctic marine biologists, and I've decided you wouldn't like it.

gently caress the antarctic. Buncha shitbirds making GBS threads everywhere getting eaten by pokemon god forgot to finish drawing legs for, all taking place around earth's frozen rear end in a top hat. Yuck. Meanwhile Arctic popping off with wild apes, bears with cola for blood, cool birds, and they even got some plants for extra drama

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Uh no, the arctic is nothing but a hole which leads into the Hollow Earth. But yes, that place is full of volcanos and psychic molemen and dinosaurs and is way better than the antarctic.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Yo Tone, did you know the North Pole is the exact intersection of the Earth's axis and its surface?

Shaddup Chris, I'm trying to eat some gabagool on top of this penguin

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
The Sopranos is great both from a metatextual & thematic perspective, as well as just being drat well-made & -acted. As far as portrayal of the mob goes, it is incredibly generous to their actual competence and organizational structure.

Donnie Brasco is the most realistic depiction of the mafia, in no small part because it's based on true people & events. Grifters one-upping each other and busting open stolen parking meters in their spare time.

Nearly 20 years on from The Sopranos, the real mob today is just a bunch of guys bouncing around in Brownian motion, collecting debts for other, more well-run (offshore) criminal enterprises, stealing pills, selling guns, and getting shot by Q chuds or their own sons in McDonald's parking lots.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?
Yeah a member of the Gambino crime family got mercked by a random Qanon guy a few years ago over the latter's interpretation of a Q post. The Sopranos skewered the mafia a lot but real life is always way more cruel to its subjects.

Nundizo
Feb 9, 2021
Donald just posted this to his instagram story

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Francesca Sloane is a writer on upcoming seasons of Atlanta who previously worked on Fargo s4, just so nobody else has to google her like I did

This is so exciting!!!!! I assume it’s probably some original thing rather than a new version of that movie but that would be very amusing too

e: actually it probably is some version of the spy thing tbh

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Feb 13, 2021

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Nundizo posted:

Huh. Seems a bit too soon to me, but could be interesting. Will and Jada are young enough to still play themselves if they wanted I reckon

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

muscles like this! posted:

So the weird thing about the first episode of Resident Alien is that all the alien effects were good but for some reason they went with CG for any scene where you saw a car actually moving and it is super awkward.

My wife and I got caught up last night and we enjoyed it. It kind of works with having a little boy be the central antagonist so far. It's childish but I couldn't stop laughing at Tudyk cursing out a little kid.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
ok yep it’s a show based on the movie

https://twitter.com/sepinwall/status/1360383663691685892?s=21

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Nundizo posted:

Well that just bumped up to top 3 most incepted show to come.

(Wheel of Time and Last Of Us are the other two).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sirotan posted:

The only person that even comes to mind today when I read "hey, its that guy from The Wire" is Isiah Whitlock Jr. and really only because he is still doing the sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeittttttttttttttttttt thing in half his roles some 20 years later.

Why not buy the official Sheeeeeeeeeeit-talking Bobble-Head?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The Guest is such a good and underappreciated movie.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
On last nights episode of the Blacklist, Reddington has to hunt down Huey Lewis. Not Huey Lewis playing a character, but Huey Lewis.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
What about the news, did they get away?

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

Tony's kids and every plot involving them are miserable.

I loved the "Tony trying to wack a guy while touring potential colleges for Meadow" storyline.

And also the "Meadows boyfriend gets a job at a mob-run construction site" storyline.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

MiddleOne posted:

The Guest is such a good and underappreciated movie.

Totally. Lance and Dan are the Fury and Cap of my heart. The moment the penny drops is just wonderful.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
https://twitter.com/cisjender/status/1358896130419904514?s=20

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Escobarbarian posted:

You should DEFINITELY watch The Sopranos

Same energy as goons recommending A Sword of Ice and Fire to people who hate fantasy books.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That would have been one crazy sword!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

This is from waaaaay back, but why is Archie fighting in World War II? I saw Riverdale up to season 3 or 4 and they were in modern times. Also, they're making Betty into Clarice Sterling (which, y'know what? sure, it might work).