Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

Bogus Adventure posted:

For anyone who says "wrestling is fake!!!" check out Mia K getting a crash course from Thunder Rosa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCM4nOBovz0

It's really athletic, it's really dangerous, and it's really theater.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Flyball posted:

It's really athletic, it's really dangerous, and it's really theater.

And it's really loving awesome

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
For anyone who says wresting is fake, check out this WWF chocolate pudding match.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTB0yJntCNM

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Flowers for QAnon posted:

Am I missing something? All of these look super clean?

I think it's because he's suplexing a guy who was billed as being 450 lbs

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
If someone thinks wrestling is fake and not real and therefore not worth watching I have some bad news about all your favorite films

foonykins
Jun 15, 2010

stop with the small talk

I did backstage poo poo at the Garden for WWE a few times. The talent is real loving nice, the road crew genuinely loves their job and loves loving around while setting up and the lunch/dinner spreads are AMAZING.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

John Cena looks stupid with long hair. Also what the gently caress is happening here?

some bust on that guy posted:

For anyone who says wresting is fake, check out this WWF chocolate pudding match.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTB0yJntCNM

Puppies! :suicide:

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

MakaVillian posted:

John Cena looks stupid with long hair. Also what the gently caress is happening here?

A spooky swamp preacher evolved into the host of a kids TV show with demonic undercurrents and could turn himself into a nigh-invincible monster clown. He challenged Cena to a match at Wrestlemania, but instead of having a wrestling match, he dragged Cena through time and space in what was supposed to be an artistic deconstruction of Cena's career. Then Cena vanished from reality and was never heard from again.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Gavok posted:

A spooky swamp preacher evolved into the host of a kids TV show with demonic undercurrents and could turn himself into a nigh-invincible monster clown. He challenged Cena to a match at Wrestlemania, but instead of having a wrestling match, he dragged Cena through time and space in what was supposed to be an artistic deconstruction of Cena's career. Then Cena vanished from reality and was never heard from again.

I..... See :crossarms:

Good god WWE is trash now.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Gavok posted:

I wish someone had told me sooner that wrestling is anime

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

MakaVillian posted:

It got campy as gently caress in the mid 90s which lead to the Attitude Era but I don't think they could get that momentum again.

The fact that they have to drag Undertaker out every 2 years to have a match is telling.

Bonzo fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Feb 13, 2021

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Gavok posted:

Was this Bray Wyatt? I bet it was Bray Wyatt.

Lmao.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Bonzo posted:

It got campy as gently caress in the mid 90s which lead to the Attitude Era but I don't think they could get that momentum again.

The fact that they have to drag Undertaker out every 2 years to have a match is telling.

They would need another WCW to push them I think, which probably won't happen given their size now.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

MakaVillian posted:

They would need another WCW to push them I think, which probably won't happen given their size now.

AEW exists, and is extremely cool and very good.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Bogus Adventure posted:

AEW exists, and is extremely cool and very good.

Oh absolutely, but they're not nearly as well financed and I don't think their goal is to challenge WWE supremacy anyway.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 60 days!

MakaVillian posted:

Oh absolutely, but they're not nearly as well financed and I don't think their goal is to challenge WWE supremacy anyway.

Counterpoint: their owner is a literal billionaire

Puppy Doll
Dec 20, 2011

Hey everybody!

MakaVillian posted:

They might not be as well financed now, but considering how well they do in the ratings, I can't imagine a world where TNT doesn't throw money at them to keep them.

edit: And their owner has a net worth double that of Vince.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
the one thing about Vince that even the WCW/Turner guys admitted -- you're never putting that fucker out of business. He's a poo poo heel carny sadist racist etc etc but you'r not beating him at wrasslin promotion

Hell's bells WWE somehow just recorded their most profitable year in history (and of course are cutting pay and poo poo)

From their 4th quarter earnings report

quote:

As was widely expected, even with the pandemic, the increase in television revenue led to the WWE’s most successful year financially in history, with $974,207,000 in revenue and $131,892,000 in profits, the first time the company has ever topped $100 million in profits during a given year.

After aew there'll be dcw and then xyw and then wwwwww and etc but they aren't putting Vince mac man out of business

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Supreme Allah posted:

the one thing about Vince that even the WCW/Turner guys admitted -- you're never putting that fucker out of business. He's a poo poo heel carny sadist racist etc etc but you'r not beating him at wrasslin promotion

Hell's bells WWE somehow just recorded their most profitable year in history (and of course are cutting pay and poo poo)

From their 4th quarter earnings report

After aew there'll be dcw and then xyw and then wwwwww and etc but they aren't putting Vince mac man out of business

Part of that is because Vince McMahon is the ultimate wrasslin' heel. He's owner, gets involved in matches, and is legitimately insane. I'll probably always watch WWE just because Vince is involved and a loving psycho.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Eventually Vince will die, the board will sell the company to NBCUniversal and the whole thing will fall apart.

It's gonna be wild.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

blunt posted:

Eventually Vince will die, the board will sell the company to NBCUniversal and the whole thing will fall apart.

It's gonna be wild.

But suddenly this musak will hit!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mMyeApQD7Q

Shane wanted to buy UFC way back before it was worth anything. So basically there's a 2nd Vince hovering

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Supreme Allah posted:

Shane wanted to buy UFC way back before it was worth anything. So basically there's a 2nd Vince hovering

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDHtKRWer3Q

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Supreme Allah posted:

ngl, I like Shane-o-Mac, but I'm guessing Stephanie will take it over. She's also narcissistic enough to be Vince 2.0

Shane's dance is pretty cool, though.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

MakaVillian posted:

the khans could legit buy the wwe if they wanted

vince is insane and i hope he tanks his own company before giving to stephanie and loving hhh of all people

Zeta Acosta fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Feb 13, 2021

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

The insane thing to me here is that Vader doesn't look to be pushing up and assisting with the move like you often see. Instead it looks like Rick Steiner just loving suplexes a 450 pound man with his own strength.

Which, you know... I would believe from Rick Steiner.

Richter Scabies
Dec 30, 2012

I only yesterday found out the WCW Starrcade '88 theme was the background music to all the local furniture closeout)car salesman radio ads that pervaded my youth and I am only barely able to process this

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Bogus Adventure posted:

ngl, I like Shane-o-Mac, but I'm guessing Stephanie will take it over. She's also narcissistic enough to be Vince 2.0
Someone post the birthday tweet to demonstrate how big Shane's chances are.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

MakaVillian posted:

It sounds dumb but it was legit one of the best things in not just in WWE, but wrestling last year. This is coming from someone who gave up on watching them after MITB 2019.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I loved the footage I saw of WWE dudes doing their story skits in a room without a crowd, it looked like two muscle men having to do an exercise in an acting class.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ruCcewe7IM&t=123s

Caesar Saladin fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Feb 13, 2021

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
https://twitter.com/HulkHogan/status/125437560418865152

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

Code Jockey posted:

I wish someone had told me sooner that wrestling is anime

theres a wrestler that transforms mid-match and gets god mode and instakills the other wrestler. it was fun for a one off but now it happens all the time and i cant wait until live crowds are back to boo the poo poo out of this.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

frankenfreak posted:

Someone post the birthday tweet to demonstrate how big Shane's chances are.

https://twitter.com/VinceMcMahon/status/953003137069125633?s=20

vs

https://twitter.com/VinceMcMahon/status/911926920371228672?s=20

also

https://twitter.com/VinceMcMahon/status/1253408244971843590?s=20

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

wut

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

MakaVillian posted:

COVID made wrestling extra weird. Like, a few years ago, to freshen his career up, Matt Hardy started filming these weird pre-taped matches on his property that acted as whacked out B-movies. When he went back to WWE for a spell, he did one of these matches against Bray Wyatt with the commentators (speaking for Vince) openly making GBS threads on it before it even started.

But without real audiences, 2020 became the year of cinematic matches. Every promotion was doing them and they were just all over the place in terms of quality. But the best cinematic match by far was the Elite vs. the Inner Circle in a Stadium Stampede match where a wrestling ring was set up in the middle of a football stadium.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSePwDI9OA0

One of the funniest touches was that while the Elite won the match, the Inner Circle still had t-shirts made of them as the first ever Stadium Stampede winners, much like how whoever loses the Superbowl always has a bunch of worthless t-shirts stating they won that are then donated to third world countries. Instead, they just sold the "Inner Circle: Stadium Stampede Winners" shirts online for half the price and it became a huge seller.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

The insane thing to me here is that Vader doesn't look to be pushing up and assisting with the move like you often see. Instead it looks like Rick Steiner just loving suplexes a 450 pound man with his own strength.

Which, you know... I would believe from Rick Steiner.

Vader didn't weigh 450 pounds lol. He's significantly smaller than a modern nfl lineman who tend to top out at around 350.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Bogus Adventure posted:

Shane's dance is pretty cool, though.

Shane McMahon is, in WWE lore, the best wrestler in the world. He won a tournament that proved it.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Bogus Adventure posted:

Was this Bray Wyatt? I bet it was Bray Wyatt.

Lmao.

Yes, yes it was. And the David Lynchian fever dream that was that "match" was awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFnX1xj-sss

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Vegetable posted:

congrats you're cheering for redneck to pretend break other redneck's skull and talking like it was real. how is every wrestling fan not the subject of immediate and relentless derision

who the hell enjoys television
congrats you're cheering for celebrity to pretend to be different person and talking like it was real. how is every television fan not the subject of immediate and relentless derision

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
https://twitter.com/ThatsOurMongo/status/1360692168806047748?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

lmao

Defiance Industries posted:

Shane McMahon is, in WWE lore, the best wrestler in the world. He won a tournament that proved it.

Shane is not a great wrestler, but I will 100% give him his dues for doing some of the most insane elbow drops.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jP74i6lVI8