Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Sydin posted:

The games are just another semi-yearly commodity to be pushed out and it's more important that they're there by the holidays than it is that they're highly polished or optimized.

Yeah, like ultimately it's obvious that they know Pokemon games will sell no matter what, and it's more important to The Pokemon Company to have that constant churn and hook another wave of 8-12 year old kids in than you'd get otherwise on a longer development cycle. It's the biggest and most profitable IP Nintendo has, and they could pour time and effort into periodic tentpole installments 1-2 times per console generation like they do with Mario or Zelda, but why would they when they're probably making boatloads more money this way?

And anyway, every big ambitious Pokemon hack that tries to satisfy all the pleas for a "perfect" game with a hard mode and a billion pokemon and rebalanced type charts seems to be cursed to be chained to the most embarrassing edgelord game writing imaginable. I don't blame Game Freak for not taking into account their adult fans all that much.

Groovelord Neato posted:

I think that's why the description as being made by people who heard about how Souls games worked second hand was spot on. You either had to go all-in on it being like a Souls game where you piece together the story or like you said you gotta change how those mechanics work if you're going to be more focused on a traditional narrative.

I don't think it's wholly that. Like, DeS has a couple things in the Nexus that change as you advance the story, Bloodborne's got some changes as the night advances, DS3 visually changes near the endgame, and Sekiro has the most dramatic shifts in the world state as the game advances, and I'd say those are also the games that have the most straightforward narratives that you don't need to go digging through item descriptions or puzzling out the dialog of unreliable NPCs to answer. It's possible to have a straightforward story, and maybe it says something that the closest game to Fallen Order (Sekiro) does have such big status quo shifts. You can go digging for extra lore and such there too, but these games always have a level of ambiguity as far as "Why are these dudes always here in the same spot?" Where the in-universe world is pressing right up to the game mechanics and it's not clear if the game world itself operates 1:1 on the same rules your player character does. Kind of like how, canonically, apparently none of the main Resident Evil characters ever manages to get bit by a zombie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean you could make the games a bit harder with basically no effort. Pokémon is just kind of lazy because it’s a property that’s gonna sell

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean you could make the games a bit harder with basically no effort. Pokémon is just kind of lazy because it’s a property that’s gonna sell

Yeah its disappointing

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

CharlestheHammer posted:

My favorite was the time they did include a hard mode in the game. With Black 2 you could unlock a hard mode after you beat the story. Except Pokemon games don't have multiple saves, what happens is you can use your completed game to unlock hard mode in another cartridge of Black 2 or White 2 when they start a new save file. So you're like "Oh okay, this is a cynical ploy to get you to buy both Black 2 and White 2 so you have a reason to play both."

Except god forbid if you beat White 2 first: you don't get the option to unlock a hard mode in another cartridge after beating White 2, instead you can unlock an easy mode on a new save. :psyduck:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Nuns with Guns posted:

My favorite was the time they did include a hard mode in the game. With Black 2 you could unlock a hard mode after you beat the story. Except Pokemon games don't have multiple saves, what happens is you can use your completed game to unlock hard mode in another cartridge of Black 2 or White 2 when they start a new save file. So you're like "Oh okay, this is a cynical ploy to get you to buy both Black 2 and White 2 so you have a reason to play both."

Except god forbid if you beat White 2 first: you don't get the option to unlock a hard mode in another cartridge after beating White 2, instead you can unlock an easy mode on a new save. :psyduck:

these are the kinds of big brain moves that keep Nintendo on top of the video game industry, that and swatting people who download an iso of P.N.03 from emuparadise

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Mr Phillby posted:

I was into the puzzle battles at first but they were just so mechanically barren and not solving the puzzle just dragged the battle out for more turns of using the same two attacks over and over.

The boss battles were a lot more mechanically interesting at least.

The thing that annoys me is that everything I disliked felt like an unnecessary hold over from the earlier games. If you want to make an action adventure game please make one next time nintendo instead of including yet another weird half baked battle system that sorta resembles the original PM but with all of the strategy depth and complexity stripped out and replaced with litterally nothing.

Sticker Star should've been a classic adventure game where you use your inventory items on all your other inventory items. Tying a completely useless battle system to it did nothing but drag it down. At least the ring puzzles tried to be something, you know?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrtU8nx6q50
Danny doing another round of talking about Belle + Howell "Tac" family of products. In a previous video he did some 'investigating" (light Googling) and discovered that the Tac spokesman Nick Bolton is just some random fitness dude that Belle + Howell pay to cosplay as a military guy for their commercials.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

muscles like this! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrtU8nx6q50
Danny doing another round of talking about Belle + Howell "Tac" family of products. In a previous video he did some 'investigating" (light Googling) and discovered that the Tac spokesman Nick Bolton is just some random fitness dude that Belle + Howell pay to cosplay as a military guy for their commercials.

Every Bell + Howell product I've ever seen advertised on TV seems like it's an absolute cheap as poo poo piece of crap that you could buy an actual quality version of for just a few dollars more at any hardware store.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The previous video he did includes a bit on their "bodycam" where he points out that the commercial for said bodycam doesn't ever actually show actual footage from the camera (because it sucks.)

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
That whole video was just so Danny could do that tin soldier bit

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I mean Pokemon still throws random-rear end difficulty curveballs out of nowhere like with USUM's sweep machine Ultra Necrozma.

edit: Nintendo can also at least get crazy lucky with releases like Animal Crossing. My whole family bought their own switch just to play on their own island. How insidiously clever.

DeafNote fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Feb 13, 2021

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

The Bee posted:

Sticker Star should've been a classic adventure game where you use your inventory items on all your other inventory items. Tying a completely useless battle system to it did nothing but drag it down. At least the ring puzzles tried to be something, you know?
Sticker Star had early prerelease screenshots with partners and poo poo so I kinda get why it feels the way it does given that there was a clear change in direction mid development.

I think the problem with Paper Mario really does stem from Super Paper Mario. They gave Inteligent Systems free reign for their 3rd go around and they delivered a platformer rpg hybrid adventure game with a story largely involving orignal characters made out of squares and triangles.

Say what you like about SPM, but Nintendo clearly learned that straying from the original turn based gameplay too much wasn't warmly received and that Nintendo doesn't like having the mario brand tied to original stories and characters that have basically nothing to do with Mario. Hence why after that battles returned to being turn based and everone has to be toads.

They seem to have relaxed things a little with OK which is promising but it does kinda feel like they're slowly adding back stuff that people liked about PM and TTYD in terms of the world and story but the actual rpg mechanics are kept as simple as possible but can't be abandoned outright for some reason so they can't be replaced with something better. Its frustrating.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Mr Phillby posted:

Sticker Star had early prerelease screenshots with partners and poo poo so I kinda get why it feels the way it does given that there was a clear change in direction mid development.

I think the problem with Paper Mario really does stem from Super Paper Mario. They gave Inteligent Systems free reign for their 3rd go around and they delivered a platformer rpg hybrid adventure game with a story largely involving orignal characters made out of squares and triangles.

Say what you like about SPM, but Nintendo clearly learned that straying from the original turn based gameplay too much wasn't warmly received and that Nintendo doesn't like having the mario brand tied to original stories and characters that have basically nothing to do with Mario. Hence why after that battles returned to being turn based and everone has to be toads.

They seem to have relaxed things a little with OK which is promising but it does kinda feel like they're slowly adding back stuff that people liked about PM and TTYD in terms of the world and story but the actual rpg mechanics are kept as simple as possible but can't be abandoned outright for some reason so they can't be replaced with something better. Its frustrating.

Which really sucks because I think Super Paper Mario was the best one. I loved the story and the characters and playing with classic side-scrolling Mario gameplay but with RPG elements was surprisingly a lot of fun.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgQhOimfIdY
New Leo Vader video about toxic masculinity in men's advertising. It is worth watching just for the final joke. His channel has definitely been on the up seeing as he now has around 50k subscribers when a month ago he had around ~1k. Although that's probably because his Now You See Me video went viral with a million views.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sydin posted:

I'm kind of ready for a post-old guard Nintendo in general. At this point it's largely been the same core of people in charge of the same core franchises for close to 30 years and while I understand that's responsible for how unique and (relatively) consistent Nintendo is as a developer compared to the entire rest of the industry, one does have to wonder how many cool and interesting ideas have been shot down in the name of that consistency.

Breath of the Wild was quite purposefully given to "post-old-guard" Nintendo to see what they'd create iirc.

The Bee posted:

Colour Splash is very nearly this, and a good one, because combat's completely superfluous and the boss fights clearly bank on you figuring out the Thing that will completely wreck them. It's well worth a play if you have a WiiU.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Nuns with Guns posted:

My favorite was the time they did include a hard mode in the game. With Black 2 you could unlock a hard mode after you beat the story. Except Pokemon games don't have multiple saves, what happens is you can use your completed game to unlock hard mode in another cartridge of Black 2 or White 2 when they start a new save file.

WHAT!?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I'm pretty sure you could play hard mode for your first run. I did that. It was actually easier because levelling was faster.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Quinton Reviews is going to do a series on Icarly and well...

https://twitter.com/Q_Review/status/1360419565453402113

:getin:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I don’t know how much more I can stand to hear about Dan Schneider.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jamie Faith posted:

... really? Techfoots? :yikes:

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I don’t know how much more I can stand to hear about Dan Schneider.

Dan [Multitude of terrible and gross rhyming last name jokes] Schneider

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

What gets me is Pokémon going out of its way to make the game easy. I get it’s a game for children, but the exp share was this entirely optional toggle in the prior games. Game too hard, need a boost? Turn it on and make level grinding faster. But in Gen 8 it’s mandatory, so you end up super overleveled unless you rotate out pokemon regularly. I’m not asking for Etrian Odyssey with pokemon, but that’s a simple difficulty toggle you already had!

Even weirder since it’s the one game where it’s very easy to accidentally run into an area full of high level pokemon that would wreck an unsuspecting kid.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Yardbomb posted:

Dan [Multitude of terrible and gross rhyming last name jokes] Schneider

It really sucks that the creepy foot guy made like half my favorite shows as a kid :negative: At least there's no feet weirdness in Drake & Josh and Zoey 101 (that I can recall at least)

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Jamie Faith posted:

It really sucks that the creepy foot guy made like half my favorite shows as a kid :negative: At least there's no feet weirdness in Drake & Josh and Zoey 101 (that I can recall at least)

It's gross but I guess maybe Drake & Josh got the """""benefit""""" of him seemingly being a girl's feet weirdo from what I can remember, but then I haven't brushed up on my creepy foot man knowledge in a while.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Sydin posted:

It seems like a decent chunk of people recognize that Gamefreak has a really tight development schedule and not the largest budget for making the games, and want them to get 3-4 years to sit down and make an incredibly highly polished product that adds back in all the beloved features like pokemon following you, secret bases, refights and second maps, etc. That misses the point though that the reason Gamefreak gets stretched so thin on time and budget is because the games are just one leg holding up the greater Pokemon Company, which probably makes a lot more money selling cards and toys and plushies and advertising space around the anime than they do selling the games. The games are just another semi-yearly commodity to be pushed out and it's more important that they're there by the holidays than it is that they're highly polished or optimized.

I'm kind of ready for a post-old guard Nintendo in general. At this point it's largely been the same core of people in charge of the same core franchises for close to 30 years and while I understand that's responsible for how unique and (relatively) consistent Nintendo is as a developer compared to the entire rest of the industry, one does have to wonder how many cool and interesting ideas have been shot down in the name of that consistency.

I mean the only other real old guard still working is Sakurai and he really doesn't seem like the type to throttle creativity.

Zelda's like on it's third generation of leadership at this point.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Jamie Faith posted:

No, just Jamie Lynn Spears getting pregnant and having a kid who doesn't look very much like her boyfriend at the time.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Dabir posted:

No, just Jamie Lynn Spears getting pregnant and having a kid who doesn't look very much like her boyfriend at the time.

Holy shiiiit :stare: I was not aware of that...situation

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
I wouldn't say Pokemon's main line games are completely devoid of difficulty. Most of the stuff people hold up as examples (EXP share for example) are more convenience features than not, and stuff like the limited time raids can be complete ballbusters. Remember slamming my head against Raid Mewtwo for a good fun while.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

FireRed/LeafGreen and the Diamond/Pearl games are the only ones I can remember being tough in any real way as far as the main game went and that's mostly just never being able to get any money in the first one and the type spread in the latter being jank with only like, one fire type to pick if you didn't get the starter?

I don't really know about the latter ones aside from Sun being pretty easy to manage. Especially with Wonder Trade making every pokemon available if you were willing to invest the time to get something good from the RNG.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Honestly the more questionable practice is them still creating two versions of the same game each generation and then again with a sequel sometimes. But now they've done away with the latter in favor of DLC and I suppose the former is just tradition at this point.

SteelMentor posted:

I wouldn't say Pokemon's main line games are completely devoid of difficulty. Most of the stuff people hold up as examples (EXP share for example) are more convenience features than not, and stuff like the limited time raids can be complete ballbusters. Remember slamming my head against Raid Mewtwo for a good fun while.

And now we have Dynamax Dungeons, which are quite fun in a difficult way too. (Screw you Zygarde)
But the main gyms are still pushovers mostly.

DeafNote fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Feb 13, 2021

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I get some of the difficulty complaints, but I think Nintendo has been pretty wise to skew the difficulty of their games towards easier rather than harder. Like, I've been teaching my nephews how to play certain games like Yoshi's Wooly World, Mario Odyssey, and Mario Kart 8 and even with the various assist modes it's been a struggle for them. When you throw in something as complex as Pokemon? The spirit is willing, but they can't retain that much information yet.

In general I think games should err on the easier side. If the core game is fun, then experienced fans will invent various gimmicks to make the game more difficult for them. You can't go the opposite way and make a game easier if it doesn't let you. That said I've never dived too deep into Pokemon, I just grab the occasional game and play it to completion without getting into the weeds of post game stuff.

And yes, Dark Souls doesn't have an easy mode and that's good blah blah blah I know. Dark Souls also isn't for literal children.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean children aren’t incompetent and it’s not like old school Pokémon was punishing.

It pushed back a bit but that’s it

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Jamie Faith posted:

So as someone who was in college when iCarly aired, whats so special about this show that it needs 7 hours.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Jamie Faith posted:

I remember Dan Schneider as the funny fat guy from the sitcom Head of the Class because I'm not young, so hearing he was a big producer for Nick was certainly interesting if nothing else. On a whim I turned on one of his shows, being Victorious, and saw a young Ariana Grande in a bikini top being sprayed with water. Yeah. :smith:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
oh boy, xiran jay zhao just put up her ATLA: book two cultural influences video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6SNxykp2MA&hd=1

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

BigRed0427 posted:

So as someone who was in college when iCarly aired, whats so special about this show that it needs 7 hours.

:shrug: Absolutely nothing; one hour is more than enough for it from what I remember. It is a very stock 2000s Nickolodeon sitcom. The most noteworthy thing about it compared to all the others is that it is arguably the most blatant about Dan Schneider's predilections. Or at least the first time he just straight up put it on-screen.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

I get the impression that this will be a 7 hour descent into hell.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah, it seems like he's going to go into the stuff around it and not just the show.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean children aren’t incompetent and it’s not like old school Pokémon was punishing.

Sapphire was beaten by semi-random (fish controlled) button input. The games have always been weighted in the players favor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Yeah the issue is Nintendo games have never ever been hard and they've just gotten even easier as time went on even discounting all the super modes and guide modes and the like.