Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Some thoughts

The line "I got shot for no reason" may also serve as a dig at whedon or whoever was responsible for killing off a speed based character who in the fox universe could catch and move bullets midflight

I’m fairly sure quicksilver got killed off on his first appearance because he’s absurdly overpowered. In the fox movies it’s a bit of a plot hole that the x men really should just use him for everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Party Boat posted:

I liked how unsettling it was when Vision started finding frozen or barely moving residents on the outskirts of Westview. Felt like when you manage to get out of bounds in a video game and start seeing background elements much closer than you were meant to.

It was even more unsettling before you got to the outskirts. The woman hanging the ghost and not quite getting the second hook there, repeating the motion like an automaton while tears run down her face?

Jedit posted:

I hope that they [keep the sitcom framing], but it becomes more obviously screwed up and desperate as Wanda tries and increasingly fails to hold her fake reality together. By ep 5 I want the show in full "not laughing but screaming" territory.

And so. WandaVision may not have delivered any surprises, but it's delivered what I wanted.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Feb 13, 2021

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

McSpanky posted:

I'd say "imagine being this wrong about super speed effects" but you're literally wrong about everything all the time so

I am noting that you can't express why you disagree with my opinion on pop culture, but are choosing to be an rear end in a top hat instead.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Party Boat posted:

I liked how unsettling it was when Vision started finding frozen or barely moving residents on the outskirts of Westview. Felt like when you manage to get out of bounds in a video game and start seeing background elements much closer than you were meant to.

Oh yeah, that's absolutely the vibe and probably not a coincidence either.

nerdbot posted:

my crack Agnes theory is I think she was playing at being frozen in the car. Everyone else is completely motionless, all the lights are flickering in the cul-de-sac like everything's barely working. But her car still has the engine running, the car lights are staying steady, and when we see her up close, she's... like, I don't know to put this non-awkwardly, she's "still" but in the same way you'd be if someone told you not to move. Still breathing. We don't really get too close of a look at anyone else who is that far "out of bounds" but they all look completely and totally frozen in a way she didn't.

The first time we saw someone get un-stuck, they were a lot more panicked. Agnes in the car feels like she's still reading off a script. Like she's very pointedly trying to get Vision to realize what's up and to get him in the right direction to cause a conflict.

Maybe I'm reading too deeply into it but she really seems to me like she's "acting" as someone who isn't working correctly rather than actually not working correctly.

That is honestly what makes sense to me. Agnes has been shown to act the most unlike other residents of Westview besides the superpowered family, actively ignoring bizarre things in front of her and acting suspiciously convenient for Wanda and Vision, complete with literally offering a do-over for scene. She happens to be the one idling at the very edge of the town when Vision is off investigating, which was telegraphed- and I get the impression everyone else in the town knows what Wanda and Vision are doing at all times.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

massive spider posted:

I’m fairly sure quicksilver got killed off on his first appearance because he’s absurdly overpowered. In the fox movies it’s a bit of a plot hole that the x men really should just use him for everything.

eh my guess is that MCU before the merger had to pick which twin they wanted long term and Fox got to use the other one.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Mooseontheloose posted:

eh my guess is that MCU before the merger had to pick which twin they wanted long term and Fox got to use the other one.

I believe this was literally the compromise, yes. It's also why you barely see his sister in the Fox films

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

massive spider posted:

I don’t think a character was talking poo poo about the writing in another movie. I think it’s another “wait that’s not right” flag because Pietro didn’t die for no reason - he died a hero, saving an Avenger and an innocent Sokovian child.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Teek posted:

For those who didn't have Nickelodeon in the 90s:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wKh6siqIPc

I know several pages too late, but thank you for giving me a reason to watch Pete & Pete again.

And Sandstorm was the best DDR 1 song

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004
While some parts of twitter and youtube are wanking themselves raw over the aerospace engineer being Reed Richards played by John Krasinski that seems too much of a stretch(lol) for now.

Marvel have been setting up the young avengers we now have Wiccan, Speed, Hawkeye (Kate Bishop), Stature (Cassandra Lang) are all now in play, but they don't in that line up have an ironman type.

With the aerospace engineer being revealed as 'he' ruling out Riri Williams I think it could be Harley Keener from Iron Man 3.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

HERAK posted:

While some parts of twitter and youtube are wanking themselves raw over the aerospace engineer being Reed Richards played by John Krasinski that seems too much of a stretch(lol) for now.

Marvel have been setting up the young avengers we now have Wiccan, Speed, Hawkeye (Kate Bishop), Stature (Cassandra Lang) are all now in play, but they don't in that line up have an ironman type.

With the aerospace engineer being revealed as 'he' ruling out Riri Williams I think it could be Harley Keener from Iron Man 3.

Oh god no. If my joke prediction of the kid from Ironman 3 that no one really cares about comes true I'm gonna lose it.

The aerospace engineer is Dr. Hank McCoy. :v: lol that would be the biggest weirdest choice. Anyways, what other characters are in to that field aside from Reed and Sue? I'm honestly trying to remember.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
How does Piedro know Vision is dead. Didn't he die first?

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
The aerospace engineer could be one of the existing secondary characters who have changed career. Kat Dennings' character didn't have a physics background the last time we saw her.

kazz
Feb 27, 2007

Black Bean has a tendency to stare and likes to hide.

BrianWilly posted:

So, crossposting that I know folks don't want Mephisto or whatever, but right now I'm dang close to certain that "Pietro" is gonna turn out to be Mephisto, and Evan Peters is gonna end up playing him in the MCU going forward. All of Pietro's lines just make so much more sense if you imagine him as a smarmy, free-wheeling trickster devil character who's enjoying the chaos and discord all this is sowing, is provoking Wanda to go even further with it ("I'm impressed!"), and is developing a notable relationship with her kids.

This was my feeling as well. I also felt like he was intentionally distracting Wanda from thinking about Vision this episode. I found it odd that after her conversation with Herb, she wasn’t concerned where Vision was or what he was doing.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Elephanthead posted:

I think it's one of two things:

Since Pietro is also dead and aware of what is going on he can see through the illusions that Wanda has created.

or

As some other posters have speculated, he's not actually Pietro but another character impersonating her brother and trying to figure out how she was able to entrap the whole town, so he knows the truth behind Vision.

kazz posted:

This was my feeling as well. I also felt like he was intentionally distracting Wanda from thinking about Vision this episode. I found it odd that after her conversation with Herb, she wasn’t concerned where Vision was or what he was doing.

I assumed that Wanda knew that Vision couldn't leave Westview and he will eventually come home and she can confront him about the lie then. At the moment she's spending time with her kids and brother, why leave that to go have an argument?

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Elephanthead posted:

I am beginning to believe that Wanda's psychotic break is getting worse and she's using the people she is controlling to talk and argue with herself.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Ravel posted:

The aerospace engineer could be one of the existing secondary characters who have changed career. Kat Dennings' character didn't have a physics background the last time we saw her.

As someone said earlier, it's been more than a decade since her character was introduced in Thor as an intern. Her brush with superhuman hijinks could have caused her change her major and go into super-physics. A decade is plenty of time to get super good at something. As far as her hacking skills, hell, she could have been a script-kiddie when she was a teenager. You can do more than one thing.

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?

Boxman posted:

I don’t think a character was talking poo poo about the writing in another movie. I think it’s another “wait that’s not right” flag because Pietro didn’t die for no reason - he died a hero, saving an Avenger and an innocent Sokovian child.

But if someone were to have no memory of Age of Ultron, and simply saw Pietro shot in the street during the 'Previously on WandaVision' section of the episode, they might assume he died for no reason?

There's definitely something happening in the way that what happens in those 'Previously' parts aren't a 1:1 match with the earlier episodes.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Boxman posted:

GlenMR posted:

But if someone were to have no memory of Age of Ultron, and simply saw Pietro shot in the street during the 'Previously on WandaVision' section of the episode, they might assume he died for no reason?

There's definitely something happening in the way that what happens in those 'Previously' parts aren't a 1:1 match with the earlier episodes.

Yeah, that ties together with the idea that Pietro literally saw the recap and that's what the context for his character and 'death' is from.

Which is also because I really love the idea that he's been given a prompt and character notes and sent in to improv.

However things are going on, I do like the idea that they're a mess, and the implication probably is either the whole thing is going to turn out to be basically an accident or whatever the plan was, it went off the rails pretty quickly.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

My personal speculation is that this show is good and I like it, and I don't really care what the answer to the mysteries are or what the implications are re; mutants or fantastic four, I just want more good show.

HERAK posted:

But in regards to this, Ironheart might replace Iron Lad in this theoretical young avengers movie.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
My wife and I were batting around possibilities for the engineer friend and she hit on the one I now hope for the most; given Helen Cho's role in Age of Ultron and the show doing a fair amount of callbacks there, we just really want them to go meet up with Monica's buddy and find out he's smarmy teenaged super genius Amadeus Cho. Unfortunately if he was in play, he'd be one of the first people to call into a situation like the Hex in the first place, so the likelihood's pretty low.

still way higher than reed richards c'mon people

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
What if it's Luke Skywalker?

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I also want Evan Peters' as Quicksilver, but I think I could also learn to love Evan Peters as Mephisto. Evan Peters is just a really good actor, and I just want to watch him do more stuff.

I never saw the X-Men movies after First Class, but I did watch at least some of American Horror Story. Evan Peters as Mephisto would be glorious, I think..

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
I'm going to stake my claim on who the 'villain' is. There is no 'villain'. Wanda is doing all this, but not out of malice. Literally everything Wanda has ever love has been taken from her at no fault of her own. He parents, her homeland, her brother, and the love of her life. She's traumatized and doesn't know how to deal with her grief. She's having a break with reality that could be expected from anyone else with similar experiences. Unlike anyone else, though, Wanda basically has the power of the Gnostic Demiurge and her internal strife is manifesting itself around her in the real world. The resolution will happen when she comes to terms with the losses she has experienced, begins healing, and admits that she is responsible for unintentionally hurting others in her grief.

I think that is a much more real and relatable story than "the devil made me do it".

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story

Marsupial Ape posted:

As someone said earlier, it's been more than a decade since her character was introduced in Thor as an intern. Her brush with superhuman hijinks could have caused her change her major and go into super-physics. A decade is plenty of time to get super good at something. As far as her hacking skills, hell, she could have been a script-kiddie when she was a teenager. You can do more than one thing.

I'm not saying it's a plot hole, I'm saying that they could justify bringing back half a dozen characters we haven't seen in ten years. Liv Tyler's character could have changed career in that time.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Marsupial Ape posted:

I think that is a much more real and relatable story than "the devil made me do it".

I don't think anyone is claiming that the show will go with "the devil made me do it", just "the devil helped me do it" or maybe "the devil made me an offer that I knew would result in bad things for other people even if helped me, and I took them up on it because I was traumatized". Where she still bears as much responsibility and moral culpability, just not all of it; because a person can still be responsible for bad things even if they had help in doing them as the show has repeatedly implied is what's happening in various ways.

tsob fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Feb 13, 2021

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

What if Hayward's Mephisto, and tried to manipulate Wanda, but now is in panic mode because she's more powerful than he imagined and he's lost control?

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
The clowning is 1000x times more disturbing than the snappening.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

GigaPeon posted:

Agreed.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

KittyEmpress posted:

But in regards to this, Ironheart might replace Iron Lad in this theoretical young avengers movie.

Or maybe... the iron giant

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

tsob posted:

I don't think anyone is claiming that the show will go with "the devil made me do it", just "the devil helped me do it" or maybe "the devil made me an offer that I knew would result in bad things for other people even if helped me, and I took them up on it because I was traumatized". Where she still bears as much responsibility and moral culpability, just not all of it; because a person can still be responsible for bad things even if they had help in doing them as the show has repeatedly implied is what's happening in various ways.

I'm not saying it's the route the show will end up going, but it could be the case that her augmented powers come from some external (magical?) source without that source being Mephisto or Nightmare or another outright villain.

either way, I don't get the sense that the ending is going to absolve her of responsibility for the Hex, which I agree would be a pretty big cop-out at this point

radlum
May 13, 2013

Ravel posted:

Yeah; I'm leaning closer to the engineer being Talos, since this would tie to Far From Home (specially the post-credits scene) and the Secret Invasion show (since it could work as a "remember this guy? he is gonna be important!"). Though if they go with "actor who has been in sitcoms" like Dennings and Park, I could see Laurence Fishbourne back as Bill Foster; Foster is a scientist and Fishbourne has been on Black-ish for a while.

The only other "male scientist who could have studied aerospatial engineering since we last saw him" I can think of is Selvig, but he would have been mentioned by Darcy, not Monica.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Marsupial Ape posted:

She was also exposed very briefly to the Tesseract (Space Stone) in Thor. If Wanda's source of power is exposure to the Mind Stone, Darcy could have gained intelligence from the Space Stone.

Recommendation letters from Erik Selvig, Jane Foster, and probably Odin got her into whatever grad school she wants.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Didn't Bill Foster die in Ant-Man 2?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Gaz-L posted:

Didn't Bill Foster die in Ant-Man 2?

No, as far as I can remember he goes into hiding with Ghost

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
I think Agnes is probably someone who knows more about what's going on that the average townsperson but she's just as trapped as everyone else. Herb broke character this episode too and he's been identified as a normal person, and so did Monica when she was inside. Her unhinged laughing in this one hit me as "I'm screwed and it's really ironic that I am!"

I don't see how they resist having Kat Dennings play the role of a sassy waitress in the next episode.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

GigaPeon posted:

But does it have more meme potential?

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!

twistedmentat posted:

I like how they actually had Billy and Tommy playing actual DDR, as that was Butterfly, one of the better known songs from the first releases. Though its no Captain Jack

My son pointed out that one of the kids is wearing a Minecraft Creeper hat which makes no sense in the timeline though.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Solvency posted:

My son pointed out that one of the kids is wearing a Minecraft Creeper hat which makes no sense in the timeline though.

It works if you count the paid alpha’s release in 09. (Unless creepers weren’t in that version.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm not even going to bother trying to make an image demonstrating this myself, since I have no where near the skill necessary but given the hex only changes things to make them belong I can see meme potential in inserting a person/character you find buffoonish and having them flinch as the hex washes over them only to have them come out looking perfectly normal as everyone and everything around them becomes a clown. Say Donald Trump, as a totally random example.