Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

nitsuga posted:

I even own it for Switch, so maybe I’ll just try it. Can you starve/go broke or anything silly like that?

There's no fail state, no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

There's no fail state, no

I’ll have to fire it up this evening then. I played it on iOS for a bit, but the controls and apparent pressure were enough to turn me off.

Now to wade through choice paralysis with the Lunar New Year sales.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

No fail states and a recent patch made it so the only time limited goal can be retried on subsequent years IIRC, so no real reason to rush either.

e: well you do have to sleep, but the penalty is minor and its easy to avoid. Same with being killed in a dungeon, but the dungeons are pretty easy.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Feb 13, 2021

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

The first trailer they did for this made it look like a short film in videogame form and this new one solidifies that for me. No idea how well it’ll actually work but bless them for making a go at such a unique concept.

“Giant cop” is such a wonderfully on-the-nose metaphor that I’m surprised I haven’t seen it before.

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Feb 13, 2021

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Pigbuster posted:

The first trailer they did for this made it look like a short film in videogame form and this new one solidifies that for me. No idea how well it’ll actually work but bless them for making a go at such a unique concept.

“Giant cop” is such a wonderfully on-the-nose metaphor that I’m surprised I haven’t seen it before.

https://twitter.com/mytallboys/status/1303383551841374210

https://www.polygon.com/2020/9/11/21432238/militsioner-russia-tall-boys-policeman-tv-news-interview-steam-free

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

nitsuga posted:

I even own it for Switch, so maybe I’ll just try it. Can you starve/go broke or anything silly like that?

Nah. If you're still outside at 2am you pass out and wake up at home the next day, but you never lose anything you can't get back and it's really not a harsh time limit at all. There's no way to screw up and no need to worry about pressure. No fail state. I think the only thing you can miss is one minor cutscene with one character and it doesn't matter at all. I recommend you don't look anything up and just play at whatever pace makes you happy. Plant little fields so you're not spending all day watering stuff. Potter around town. Talk to folk. Fish a bit maybe. The year it came out I was suffering dreadful anxiety and Stardew was a huge help to me.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Yeah. I think you lose some money (a set amount) after the first time but that's it.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

lmao at the news bringing in a gamer to say “as a gamer, this game don’t even look good! One of those artsy fartsy pieces of crap!”

Even more interested in it now. Especially since the polygon article implies they’re aiming for something more interesting and human than just an artificial big brother evil guy.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Anyone else having troubles with Steam achievements not triggering? I've had issues with at least four games during the last few days. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Kennel posted:

Anyone else having troubles with Steam achievements not triggering? I've had issues with at least four games during the last few days. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't.

A specific part of the internet has been on fire for a minute now, it's mostly cleared up but I assume that's the issue.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I'm really enjoying Valheim.... but the lack of any pause functionality on single player is a real problem if you can't devote all of your attention to it.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I'm really enjoying Valheim.... but the lack of any pause functionality on single player is a real problem if you can't devote all of your attention to it.

It helps that you can logout wherever you are if you need to step away, when you log back in you'll be exactly where you were. This is how I've been managing this issue but I agree having it pause in solo mode is probably the best choice.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
This isn't directly Steam related but since this thread unofficially doubles as the general PC gaming chat I thought I'd ask here.

I want new dedicated headphones to leave at my PC that must:

- Have a mic
- Work easily with streaming software (so, not Bluetooth)
- Either have a transparent mode or are open back, so I can still hear my family around me fairly well

Would also be nice if:

- Wireless (but not Bluetooth) or
- USB instead of 3.5mm
- Had a cradle

Amazon search is being supremely useless, showing me a bunch of either Bluetooth earbuds, or regular closed back options.

These Sennheisers are the only ones I've found so far that are even close, but I'm still hoping to find either USB or some proprietary wireless solution.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Imagined posted:

This isn't directly Steam related but since this thread unofficially doubles as the general PC gaming chat I thought I'd ask here.

- Have a mic
- Either have a transparent mode or are open back, so I can still hear my family around me fairly well

Would also be nice if:

- USB instead of 3.5mm
- Had a cradle

Amazon search is being supremely useless, showing me a bunch of either Bluetooth earbuds, or regular closed back options.

These Sennheisers are the only ones I've found so far that are even close, but I'm still hoping to find either USB or some proprietary wireless solution.

I don't know about these specifically but in general, sennheiser makes quality products.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Hey, how long is Yakuza 2 compared to 1?

Also holy poo poo these graphics are to die for:

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Imagined posted:

- Have a mic

Would also be nice if:

- USB instead of 3.5mm
- Had a cradle

Depending on the money you have to throw around, the Arctis Pro Wireless might be what you're looking for. I love the pair I have and they fit every criteria on both lists except the Cradle (their signal box also doubles as a battery charger, which you can swap out or just charge via USB) but they also run for $330 so it's not for a timid dip.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Mokinokaro posted:

Yeah. I think you lose some money (a set amount) after the first time but that's it.

Pretty sure how much money you lose depends on who drags your rear end back home. Some people will do it for free, even.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

Yeah their new engine is loving incredible and has some of the best world detail/faces in the industry right now.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

StrixNebulosa posted:

Twice as long, IIRC.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Also holy poo poo these graphics are to die for

It's the Dragon Engine they started using from Yakuza 6 onwards (Kiwami 2 is the second game using it).

0, Kiwami 1, 3, 4, and 5 all used their older PS3 engine. The difference in visual quality and what characters can do is huge.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Saoshyant posted:

Twice as long, IIRC.

It's the Dragon Engine they started using from Yakuza 6 onwards (Kiwami 2 is the second game using it).

0, Kiwami 1, 3, 4, and 5 all used their older PS3 engine. The difference in visual quality and what characters can do is huge.

YESSSSS excellent so much Yakuza :D

And I'm aware that it'll be a jarring jump to go from 2 -> 3, as 3 is a direct port of a 10 year old game, but I should be able to handle it. For now I'll just feast my eyes on all of 2.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Imagined posted:

- USB instead of 3.5mm

This isnt a problem with an adaptor, I needed the same and just bought one off amazon and it worked fine.

check here
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=3.5mm+headphone+to+usb
I bought this one
https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Headset-Separate-DuKabel-ProSeries/dp/B07RV6VBNR/

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Man I'm trying to play Valheim and Kingdom Come Deliverance and you guys gotta remind me I have Kiwami 1 and 2....

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

StrixNebulosa posted:

For me it was 40% longer (25 vs. 35 hour in-game timer), despite skipping two time-consuming side contents (clan creator and bouncer)

The main story is about same length, I think.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

StrixNebulosa posted:

Yeah the Dragon engine is incredible, I love how they got rid of all the invisible walls around buildings, made the city feel a lot more real and less video game-y.

2 is longer than 1, but not as long as 0, IIRC. Maybe that's just because I did a lot more substories and minigames in 2, though (the hostess one is back and better than ever).

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

StrixNebulosa posted:

So many bikes!

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

explosivo posted:

Looks like Nioh 2, def hard to know out of context but the enemy attacks by flying up and throwing a spear down, looks like OP did the same move at the same time and sniped the enemy out of the air.

I bought Nioh 2 without realizing I'm still awful at these games. I'm enjoying it but man it's tough, and the avalanche of gear you get from the dlc or whatever always fucks with me when you're first starting out.

I often buy games a year or so after they come out, which means I usually also get all the DLC included. A lot of the time that's great, because you know, DLC. But too often that DLC is a loving dump truck of powerful gear. I don't want to cheat, but this kind of thing always fucks me up. I want to take advantage of everything the game gives me, but I don't want to have to have to self-regulate the cheatiness of the game I'm playing.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

credburn posted:

I often buy games a year or so after they come out, which means I usually also get all the DLC included. A lot of the time that's great, because you know, DLC. But too often that DLC is a loving dump truck of powerful gear. I don't want to cheat, but this kind of thing always fucks me up. I want to take advantage of everything the game gives me, but I don't want to have to have to self-regulate the cheatiness of the game I'm playing.

The stuff they give you in Nioh 2 is basically just for aesthetics, since you can "refashion" gear to look however you want. It's outmatched by stuff you find by the second mission, it's not a huge power boost.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

My favorite is when I start a game and get bombarded with notifications about all the DLC stuff.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Begemot posted:

The stuff they give you in Nioh 2 is basically just for aesthetics, since you can "refashion" gear to look however you want. It's outmatched by stuff you find by the second mission, it's not a huge power boost.
You also have to poke at an option in the shrine menu to get the stff, you can just pass if you don't want it.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

ErrEff posted:

My favorite is when I start a game and get bombarded with notifications about all the DLC stuff.

It's even better when they do that and you already have all the DLC

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

It's even better when they do that and you already have all the DLC

When I tried out Fallout:NV I got bombarded for like sixty seconds about all the DLC trash that just got dropped into my inventory.

I feel that DLC has been a net-negative on the PC market, I miss the days of complete products and full-size expansions.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Begemot posted:

You can, however, forge more of it that will be level-appropriate and have modifiers that fit your current progression in the game. Use the right materials and it'll go up to purple.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

The new engine Yakuza games are probably the best games I've ever seen at making a city feel properly like an actual place and not just a game setting.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

There are serious issues with the pacing of metal collection in Valheim, to the point where I'd advise most people enjoying the game to just put it down once you get to the swamps. I was able to put up with it for farming copper, but farming iron? Hope you like spending 20 hours in subterranean flooded crypts smashing up mudpiles. And smashing up more mudpiles. And smashing up more mudpiles. I feel like a sewer technician. I've forgotten what the sun looks like. This is loving miserable. And I've earned all of enough iron for three pieces of un-upgraded equipment which are slightly incrementally better than their bronze counterparts, with less durability! Joy! Oh, and if you don't keep up your poison resistance you're just about guaranteed to get one-shot by something.

I've never soured on the formerly joyous and addictive experience of a game so suddenly before.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It might be a good idea to also give that kind of feedback to the developers. It is an EA game, after all, and they're probably still trying to figure out how much is enough as well.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I just got The Room as part of the sale. It's way better than it looks and is an absolute steal right now

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Cardiovorax posted:

It might be a good idea to also give that kind of feedback to the developers. It is an EA game, after all, and they're probably still trying to figure out how much is enough as well.

I do have an extensive thread discussing it in their Suggestions subforum, half of which is other players shouting me down to 'git gud' or wait for an easy mode to be patched in. (???) I think the actual devteam is something like 4 people so the odds of them even gleaning anything useful is dubious, but, I tried.

The best part about it is, if you beat the swamp boss (not too difficult), it drops a wishbone you can use to dowse for sunken iron deposits outside of the crypts. In theory a much better design; encourages exploration instead of hunkering down in a glib shithole. But said deposits are incredibly rare and seem to contain ~2 iron scrap apiece, so my choices are to hunker down for 20 hours or go exploring exclusively swamp biomes looking for digspots for probably 60 hours. :shepface:

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Cardiovorax posted:

Valheim was also on itch.io for about 2.5 years before releasing on Steam. Maybe all the itch.io players of it were hardcore masochists who loved that kind of grind.

We've already seen deathsquitos get a huge nerf due to 'popular outcry'. Disclaimer: I still haven't gotten far enough in the game to encounter them.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Pathologic 2

loving what is going on its miserable and depressing and its just running back and forth between quest markers while scrounging for water & food and hoping for some reason a bunch of townspeople don't decide to chase me down and beat me to death

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

pentyne posted:

Pathologic 2

loving what is going on its miserable and depressing and its just running back and forth between quest markers while scrounging for water & food and hoping for some reason a bunch of townspeople don't decide to chase me down and beat me to death

:discourse: