Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Dpulex posted:

Maybe andromeda is bad

mods?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Dpulex posted:

Maybe andromeda is bad

that game was just depressing, in ways hard to describe

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
The opening of Andromeda is actually pretty promising, too. You can tell they made it before the pivot away from procgen.

What baffles the mind is why they decided gamers need quantity over quality. If they'd only used half the worlds but spent twice as much time on the quests on said worlds, surely it would have been at least as good as Inquisition

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Simone Magus posted:

The opening of Andromeda is actually pretty promising, too. You can tell they made it before the pivot away from procgen.

What baffles the mind is why they decided gamers need quantity over quality. If they'd only used half the worlds but spent twice as much time on the quests on said worlds, surely it would have been at least as good as Inquisition

yah Andromeda is very much "a little bit of killer, loads of filler".

Ryder being characterized as a tedious awkward idiot, versus the overall badassedness of Femshep, was one of the better choices imo: https://youtu.be/6F5lh4JrJ9I

edit: actually the Ryder sister does the better lame joke delivery https://youtu.be/wQRr5jvdU-0

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

frajaq posted:

that game was just depressing, in ways hard to describe

There are a lot of basic failures of imagination. You're the bleeding edge of a settler project in an entirely new galaxy, but half the worlds you show up to are already settled when you show up. You're supposed to be young and inexperienced but you can never really gently caress anything up except by not doing side quests--there are no opportunities to plop a bunch of colonists on a world that looks harmless but is riddled with brain-eating prions or whatever, at least as far as I can remember. Andromeda is supposed to be an exciting new setting but all you get to meet are some dopey dog-faced failiens and the Putty Patrol Empire, with whom you are immediately and intractably locked into mortal combat with.

Bioware had the chance to tell a smaller story--a new cast of characters, young and unsure, making decisions with long-term ramifications in incredibly tense conditions--and it turns into a "save the [whatever] Cluster" story because they the only stakes the team could come up with are as big as possible. Meanwhile your Starfinder GM could probably come up with something more compelling. It just feels like the writers and designers are grasping at straws

E: it's also an 80 hour game that has shown you everything by hour 10, so the rest of the game feels like watching Gob Bluth pull dead pigeons out of his sleeves

HaitianDivorce fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Feb 13, 2021

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

HaitianDivorce posted:

There are a lot of basic failures of imagination. You're the bleeding edge of a settler project in an entirely new galaxy, but half the worlds you show up to are already settled when you show up. You're supposed to be young and inexperienced but you can never really gently caress anything up except by not doing side quests--there are no opportunities to plop a bunch of colonists on a world that looks harmless but is riddled with brain-eating prions or whatever, at least as far as I can remember. Andromeda is supposed to be an exciting new setting but all you get to meet are some dopey dog-faced failiens and the Putty Patrol Empire, with whom you are immediately and intractably locked into mortal combat with.

Bioware had the chance to tell a smaller story--a new cast of characters, young and unsure, making decisions with long-term ramifications in incredibly tense conditions--and it turns into a "save the [whatever] Cluster" story because they the only stakes the team could come up with are as big as possible. Meanwhile your Starfinder GM could probably come up with something more compelling. It just feels like the writers and designers are grasping at straws

Andromeda was the same people barely qualified to write standard sci fi space adventure then told "okay, do something wild and creative" and what they got was sci fi space adventure, but Xenon!?!?! Bad religious aliens!?!? Bad/Good Twileks?!?!? Uh oh, here comes trouble!

Even a bad game would've been a better experience. Andromeda was just so aggressively mediocre it's hard to have an actual emotional attachment to in any way or look forward to replaying the game.

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

pentyne posted:

Even a bad game would've been a better experience. Andromeda was just so aggressively mediocre it's hard to have an actual emotional attachment to in any way or look forward to replaying the game.

My memories of my one playthrough are defined not by any line or combat encounter or setpiece but just the dimming hope that it would be good and a compulsive need to click through every quest to make sure I wasn't missing anything. Just an absolute slog.

I remember hearing that there wouldn't be any DLC and feeling a mix of sadness and relief, that I wouldn't need to try and find "a good part"

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

HaitianDivorce posted:

There are a lot of basic failures of imagination. You're the bleeding edge of a settler project in an entirely new galaxy, but half the worlds you show up to are already settled when you show up.

I mean, you could have even done something with that by making the primary conflict that you've shown up to colonize a new galaxy, and all the plum planets are already settled by natives. So do you settled for the less-plum planets that are as-of-yet unsettled and try to get along with the natives, or force your way onto the nicest planets at the risk of conflict? Make it the new paragon/renegade conceit.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Andromeda's core conceit was already a failure to understand what made Mass Effect appealing. It was never about having a bunch of freeform worlds to explore, but presenting the appearance of a complex galaxy with a deep history and politics as the framing device for some really well-structured, tightly wound linear missions. The skyboxes on Noveria, Ilium, Omega or the Citadel already told you everything you needed to know about that world, you didn't need to physically travel to some building in the distance to collect +15 Palladium and get back in the Mako. Sometimes limitations are better at exciting the imagination than just overwhelming the player with a whole bunch of meaningless crap.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

OhFunny posted:

What squad mates did everyone frequently use?

Best bro Garrus was always on my team across the three games.

i went team dextro usually.

Simone Magus posted:

i think the issue i have is the game is just boring as gently caress. all the characters are mostly super safe, the story is super generic, the worlds while pretty at times, dont go anywhere. most of the game is filler. it felt like inquisitions world building but way worse. everything about it is mediocre.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Feb 13, 2021

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i went team dextro usually.

i think the issue i have is the game is just boring as gently caress. all the characters are mostly super safe, the story is super generic, the worlds while pretty at times, dont go anywhere. most of the game is filler. it felt like inquisitions world building but way worse.

Crucially, none of your teammates can die or be kicked out. IIRC you can’t even get mad at them

As someone who usually plays to be buddies with all the party members, the ability NOT to do so is crucial

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

exquisite tea posted:

Andromeda's core conceit was already a failure to understand what made Mass Effect appealing. It was never about having a bunch of freeform worlds to explore, but presenting the appearance of a complex galaxy with a deep history and politics as the framing device for some really well-structured, tightly wound linear missions. The skyboxes on Noveria, Ilium, Omega or the Citadel already told you everything you needed to know about that world, you didn't need to physically travel to some building in the distance to collect +15 Palladium and get back in the Mako. Sometimes limitations are better at exciting the imagination than just overwhelming the player with a whole bunch of meaningless crap.

It didn't help that the time scale of things that are supposed to have happened in Andromeda before the player arrives is super hosed and completely nonsensical.

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

Sydin posted:

I mean, you could have even done something with that by making the primary conflict that you've shown up to colonize a new galaxy, and all the plum planets are already settled by natives. So do you settled for the less-plum planets that are as-of-yet unsettled and try to get along with the natives, or force your way onto the nicest planets at the risk of conflict? Make it the new paragon/renegade conceit.

You don't even need to get that, ah, Lebensraum-y about it

Say you land on an Angaran (that was them, right? The good aliens?) and they're like "Yeah, the more the merrier, maybe just go talk to some dudes with exclamation points over their heads and we'll see what we can do"

And then the Kett show up to harvest them. You're in the way but basically beneath their notice, so they make you an offer: stand aside and let us take the Angara, or your settlement here may end up on our shitlist too. You will never be able to safely send people to live here if you don't give us what we want. What would the consequences of this be? Maybe you come back after a mission or two and the whole colony's empty, everyone gone. Or maybe nothing happens, not in the timeframe of the game, because you walked into a problem you couldn't solve with enough blue dialogue points and a gunfight

Maybe there was something like this in Andromeda? I don't remember. I just think "massively powerful native alien empire" and "Murphy's Law Milky Way colonists" can go together in ways besides everyone immediately fighting and things going fine for you because you're the protagonist

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Pattonesque posted:

Crucially, none of your teammates can die or be kicked out. IIRC you can’t even get mad at them

As someone who usually plays to be buddies with all the party members, the ability NOT to do so is crucial

yeah. its too safe. i dont mean disco elysium vs outer worlds type safe, but its just too drat safe with its characters. bioware has always been big with character is an arcatype but three dimensional but lol andramada didt have that.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

HaitianDivorce posted:

You don't even need to get that, ah, Lebensraum-y about it

Say you land on an Angaran (that was them, right? The good aliens?) and they're like "Yeah, the more the merrier, maybe just go talk to some dudes with exclamation points over their heads and we'll see what we can do"

And then the Kett show up to harvest them. You're in the way but basically beneath their notice, so they make you an offer: stand aside and let us take the Angara, or your settlement here may end up on our shitlist too. You will never be able to safely send people to live here if you don't give us what we want. What would the consequences of this be? Maybe you come back after a mission or two and the whole colony's empty, everyone gone. Or maybe nothing happens, not in the timeframe of the game, because you walked into a problem you couldn't solve with enough blue dialogue points and a gunfight

Maybe there was something like this in Andromeda? I don't remember. I just think "massively powerful native alien empire" and "Murphy's Law Milky Way colonists" can go together in ways besides everyone immediately fighting and things going fine for you because you're the protagonist

i mean the Kett have an ok concept even if they are just the Borg but organic but they dont do dick with them. they needed more aliens than just them and the ken penders aliens.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Doctor Nutt posted:

It didn't help that the time scale of things that are supposed to have happened in Andromeda before the player arrives is super hosed and completely nonsensical.

yeah I love that the remnant showed up like...10 years after you left, created the angara, seeded the galaxy, got hosed up by the enemy who made the scourge, left the angara alone for 300 years, then the kett showed up 100 years before us. Like.. that's a lot to squeeze into 600 years.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
I honestly don't know if BW is even capable of making a good game at this point. I want them to, but they seem utter poo poo at managing projects. DAI was the last "complete" game they put out and that was almost 7 years ago. Everything since has been a disorganized shitshow with team leaders grabbing at the flavor of the moment (procgen! GaaS!) and trying to make that work to the exclusion of everything else, like, oh I dunno...writing a complete, coherent story and managing the nuts and bolts of gamedev. Both MEA and Anthem were effectively completed in around 18 months or so which is nowhere near enough time for a AAA game. Whether the problem is external (EA making idiotic demands) or internal (lack of leadership), or maybe a bit of both, if they don't get their poo poo together either EA is going to take them back behind the barn or they'll get relegated to making someone else's content for the rest of their existence.

If they're going to continue as an (at least semi-)independent studio, they need to hire two people: a project manager who is focused on the loving project, not some novel gameplay conceit and an editor. Like, a real literary writing editor who can look at stuff and go "what the gently caress, no this doesn't make any sense in the context of the story you're telling, this plot point directly contradicts this one over here" and so on. That and ditch loving Frostbite because it's not meant for the games they're making and eats up too much time trying to hammer it into shape. Go back to Unreal since people actually know how to use it.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Kurieg posted:

yeah I love that the remnant showed up like...10 years after you left, created the angara, seeded the galaxy, got hosed up by the enemy who made the scourge, left the angara alone for 300 years, then the kett showed up 100 years before us. Like.. that's a lot to squeeze into 600 years.

Also you had a whole new galaxy to explore*

*New galaxy features one new friendly alien species and bad aliens which are technically just the good aliens but turned into darkspawn.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The retrospectives for MEA and Anthem showed that EA’s involved was showing up once a year and asking if they had anything. They didn’t for years. If anything EA should’ve interfered more

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

exquisite tea posted:

Ilium, Omega

hope the remaster doesnt change things about those two hubs too much, they were pretty much perfect in ME 2

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

exquisite tea posted:

Andromeda's core conceit was already a failure to understand what made Mass Effect appealing. It was never about having a bunch of freeform worlds to explore, but presenting the appearance of a complex galaxy with a deep history and politics as the framing device for some really well-structured, tightly wound linear missions

Right. There's a lot of times in Andromeda where you'll go hours without shooting anything or doing a memorable exploration. The way 2 and 3 were structured so that you always had a mission to jump into, explore, shoot, and then never go back to look for collectibles or whatever. The games specifically didn't let you revisit any quest area. They're the opposite of open world.

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

hobbesmaster posted:

The retrospectives for MEA and Anthem showed that EA’s involved was showing up once a year and asking if they had anything. They didn’t for years. If anything EA should’ve interfered more

Yeah the crazy thing is that, other than requiring Frostbite, basically every mistake is Bioware shooting themselves in the foot or just faffing about for years.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I think Andromeda should have been a dark mirror of ME1, in that once again humanity is brand new on the world stage. But instead of the mostly nice council you're a bunch of nobodies on the fringes of the kett empire weighing up whether or not you can afford to rock the boat. I dunno, I think that could be a compelling setting.

Obviously you'll fight the baddies either way, but you're a struggling colonist rather than a black ops bigshot. Do you rally the rebellion or take what you need and get out with no witnesses to tell their boss it was the new kids?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
The kett were a mistake from the get go and frankly the entire first sequence where you deal with the spooky floating rock and explody noise planet and get the POWER OF THE PATHFINDER from your dying father was bad because it was clear this version of the Mass Effect team had no interest in world building or anything, they just wanted to do dragon age inquisition with a sci-fi skin.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I liked the Kett. They weren’t utilized very well but there’s promise there. Especially after finding out the Archon is a renegade.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I think I'm the only person that liked the Mako sections in ME1.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

SirPhoebos posted:

There's literally dozens of us

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

SirPhoebos posted:

What was it like directing Mass Effect: Andromeda?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

SirPhoebos posted:

I loved and still love the Mako, and never had issues driving it in the game. Mako-4-lyfe.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

the only awkward, clunky vehicle I liked driving was Mass Effect 2-era Shepard

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Remember that they basically made three Assassin's Creed IIs before they made Assassin's Creed 3? What if we'd had Mass Effect Brotherhood and Mass Effect Revelations before we got to Mass Effect 3?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

marshmallow creep posted:

Remember that they basically made three Assassin's Creed IIs before they made Assassin's Creed 3? What if we'd had Mass Effect Brotherhood and Mass Effect Revelations before we got to Mass Effect 3?

It would have been worth it to summon an all-krogan shank squad.

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
The Nomad was pretty great actually in retrospect. But I also quite liked the mako

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

exquisite tea posted:

It would have been worth it to summon an all-krogan shank squad.

:hfive: gently caress yea.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

chaosapiant posted:

I liked the Kett. They weren’t utilized very well but there’s promise there. Especially after finding out the Archon is a renegade.

I just wish that it turned out that Exaltation was something that could be done to any species, not just the Angaara. It would have really sold the threat better that the Kett were a menace to ALL life in Andromeda now, not just your new newt friends because they could just assimilate you and make you one of them and emphasizing the fact that there's a limited number of people you can call friends, a vast number of enemies out there, and they can make more of themselves infinitely faster than you can.

They kinda teased something like that with the hosed up Krogan on the Archon's ship at the mid-point of the game, but it never went anywhere, like a lot of Andromeda's better ideas.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

nine-gear crow posted:

I just wish that it turned out that Exaltation was something that could be done to any species, not just the Angaara. It would have really sold the threat better that the Kett were a menace to ALL life in Andromeda now, not just your new newt friends because they could just assimilate you and make you one of them and emphasizing the fact that there's a limited number of people you can call friends, a vast number of enemies out there, and they can make more of themselves infinitely faster than you can.

They kinda teased something like that with the hosed up Krogan on the Archon's ship at the mid-point of the game, but it never went anywhere, like a lot of Andromeda's better ideas.

My understanding was that exaltation could absolutely happen to any species, which is why they were experimenting on the arks.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
The problem with both the mako and the nomad for me is the way it dictated how the games were structured. You get a lot of traveling and downtime, and the open world design leads to samey feeling copy pasted encounters. ME2 ditching that got a lot of criticism but it was easily my favourite game to play front to back because of pacing.

Have they announced any tweaks to the 2nd and 3rd games? I remember ME3 insane being fun as hell and ME2 insane being a complete slog for some reason.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Realized that my initial experience with the shooting in Andromeda was not fair because my son had broken the right thumbstick on the controller just enough for aiming to be an actual nightmare. He's broken all my other controllers as well because he's clumsy as gently caress, but all the same I went back to try a little more Andromeda. Still on the Nexus and...gently caress it's proving hard to pay attention or care about what's happening. I don't know why, but it's like nothing quite clicks. I find myself trying not to fall asleep. Then again, that may just because I'm a tired old man at this point--my eldest daughter is literally as old as the Mass Effect franchise.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Feb 14, 2021

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

marshmallow creep posted:

Then again, that may just because I'm a tired old man at this point--my eldest daughter is literally as old as the Mass Effect franchise.

good God ME1 came out in 2007?!? :corsair:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

SirPhoebos posted:

I'm working off vague, 10 year old memories here, but I think what most people didn't get about the Mako is that it had infinite traction and great acceleration and when perched on a vague polygon on the side of a mountain, would happily just shoot off wildly, often taking leaps of faith into the abyss.

Once I figured out how to drive it, I loving loved it.