Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Whooping Crabs posted:

hell yeah I remember stuff like that

The food we used to get from the Food Bank (peanut butter, mostly) looked like that lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Uranium prices have been majorly depressed since the mid nineties because of warhead recycling.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

IIRC there's still bits of Australia so naturally radioactive it's not safe to spend too long there.

Unlike the rest of Australia which is super safe?

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

My generics story: when I was 8 or 9, those generic brands with the white packaging were big in the grocery stores around us. My elementary school had a bake sale fundraiser, and I begged my mom to make a “generic” cake, frosted completely white with “CAKE” written in black frosting in that exact font. I thought it was the cleverest thing ever.

No one got the joke. I think they just thought I was special.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

letthereberock posted:

My generics story: when I was 8 or 9, those generic brands with the white packaging were big in the grocery stores around us. My elementary school had a bake sale fundraiser, and I begged my mom to make a “generic” cake, frosted completely white with “CAKE” written in black frosting in that exact font. I thought it was the cleverest thing ever.

I modestly chuckled.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

letthereberock posted:

I was amused.

I poked around a bit and it looks as though lots of stores/companies did the GENERIC LABEL thing in the late 70s and early 80s

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

letthereberock posted:

thsi is so disappointing to me, as a child who would have laughed my rear end off even not knowing the context from the grocery store

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

as a kid who got endless giggles out of decorating sugar cookies with things like frowny faces and the word "crap", a cake labeled "cake" would have probably been too subtle for me

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
https://twitter.com/supernovaxox/status/1361827908541509632

Really hope this tanks this company.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Fred Meyer is Kroger so they're not going anywhere anytime soon.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I heard ~20 years ago, that this happens because there was a lawsuit from some people who dumpster dived food from a Safeway dumpster, and got sick. You can thank America for being America.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

The Bill Emerson Good Samaritan Act has been law since 1996, basically saying that as long as they donate food in good faith then they are not liable at all. This is just a lovely excuse that companies don't want to spend any employee time actually gathering up and taking stuff to organizations who can use it.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Iron Crowned posted:

I heard ~20 years ago, that this happens because there was a lawsuit from some people who dumpster dived food from a Safeway dumpster, and got sick. You can thank America for being America.

The real reason is that they don't want homeless people to congregate around their building.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

If they made donating food a tax deduction then almost immediately every grocery store would have someone coming by every week to pick up expired stuff.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I would love to boycott places that allow non-maskers to shop but the only place around here that does so is Costco and I don't always need giant containers of food.

Edit: Looks like even Costco allows face shields, which are useless.

Admiral Joeslop has a new favorite as of 15:25 on Feb 17, 2021

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Garrand posted:

Fred Meyer is Kroger so they're not going anywhere anytime soon.

Which is weird as the Kroger by my house absolutely requires masks

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Blue Footed Booby posted:

The real reason is that they don't want homeless people to congregate around their building.

This is exactly it. Living in New York City, it's depressing how often tourists will see a homeless man outside a McDonald's, then march in yelling for a manager because they were forced to look at him.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Garrand posted:

The Bill Emerson Good Samaritan Act has been law since 1996, basically saying that as long as they donate food in good faith then they are not liable at all. This is just a lovely excuse that companies don't want to spend any employee time actually gathering up and taking stuff to organizations who can use it.

They don't have to drop it off, the food shelves come pick it up. All they have to do is not throw it away in the first place and cart stuff like expiring meat into their freezer. It isn't even more work than carting stuff to the dumpster. Employees are already being paid to "gather up" the food whether the company donates it or dumps it. Even Walmart understand this.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

CharlestheHammer posted:

Which is weird as the Kroger by my house absolutely requires masks

Look, places "require" masks, but do you really expect the poor guy who's stocking shelves to enforce that, they're being paid $10/hr to work in the hell zone.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Iron Crowned posted:

Look, places "require" masks, but do you really expect the poor guy who's stocking shelves to enforce that, they're being paid $10/hr to work in the hell zone.

My Kroger has a cop in the building, at least for the morning. He hangs out by the self checkout machines

I think that’s more because they keep getting robbed but it when I go in everyone is fully masked up

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I would love to boycott places that allow non-maskers to shop but the only place around here that does so is Costco and I don't always need giant containers of food.

It seems to depend on local city governments. I was down in Atlanta for some stuff last week and was really surprised at how vigilant all the businesses were compared to the suburbs 30 minutes away. Clerks were confronting shoppers about masks and we even got a mandatory safety lecture by a doorman at one shop. The shop that sells bongs somehow had the most comprehensive safety protocols I've seen in 11 months of this pandemic.

At this stage we should be grateful as many people wear masks as they do since it's 100% voluntary with zero repercussions in most areas.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Krispy Wafer posted:

At this stage we should be grateful as many people wear masks as they do since it's 100% voluntary with zero repercussions in most areas.

I live in Ohio, and there are plenty of signs posting that masks (and PA announcements) are required by mandate, but once you get past the greeter, the masks come off for plenty of people. There's just no enforcement, and cops are only there to protect capital (mask compliance doesn't threaten capital at this time), no one actually cares.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Haven't seen anyone in public unmasked since April. I don't know how people don't go insane in parts of the country where going unmasked is common.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

This is exactly it. Living in New York City, it's depressing how often tourists will see a homeless man outside a McDonald's, then march in yelling for a manager because they were forced to look at him.

One of my most abiding memories of travelling through Washington D.C. as a kid was the sheer number of people sleeping rough. Apparently it's the worst in the US and I can't say that surprises me. I have a really vivid memory of someone homeless just walking into a McDonalds and taking armfuls of little ketchup packets and just wandering back outside.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

MisterOblivious posted:

They don't have to drop it off, the food shelves come pick it up. All they have to do is not throw it away in the first place and cart stuff like expiring meat into their freezer. It isn't even more work than carting stuff to the dumpster. Employees are already being paid to "gather up" the food whether the company donates it or dumps it. Even Walmart understand this.

I used to work at a pizza hut that had a full buffet and every day someone from a shelter would stop by to pick up a large plastic bin full of buffet food that would normally be thrown out. They would drop off a clean bin for us to use each time, too. Worked out pretty well and took no additional time to prepare or hand out to the shelter employees.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Jeza posted:

One of my most abiding memories of travelling through Washington D.C. as a kid was the sheer number of people sleeping rough. Apparently it's the worst in the US and I can't say that surprises me. I have a really vivid memory of someone homeless just walking into a McDonalds and taking armfuls of little ketchup packets and just wandering back outside.

At some point rather than trying to find a good solution to it, places just made being homeless illegal.

America is a company that is circling the drain.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
there are days when I'd gladly accept the risk of being shot to tell somebody to put the loving mask on because i got depression and don't always value my life, but if i actually tried to make a customer put a mask on I'd be fired for arguing with a customer, so lol

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Iron Crowned posted:

I live in Ohio, and there are plenty of signs posting that masks (and PA announcements) are required by mandate, but once you get past the greeter, the masks come off for plenty of people. There's just no enforcement, and cops are only there to protect capital (mask compliance doesn't threaten capital at this time), no one actually cares.

There's a gas station a few doors down I refuse to go to because the workers don't wear masks. The cops that should enforce the mask mandate are the same cops that meet up there several times a day to eat their donuts indoors while indoor dining is banned.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Iron Crowned posted:

At some point rather than trying to find a good solution to it, places just made being homeless illegal.

America is a company that is circling the drain.

As well as creating an entire type of architecture meant to keep homeless people from getting a good night's sleep.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I've seen several boomers go full Karen on the manager demanding they throw maskless customers out of the store and enforce strict social distancing inside. It's weird to observe in the wild.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Soylent Pudding posted:

I've seen several boomers go full Karen on the manager demanding they throw maskless customers out of the store and enforce strict social distancing inside. It's weird to observe in the wild.
Those people are cool and they are not Karens IMO

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Iron Crowned posted:

Yeah, that's the thing I see a lot when I go grocery shopping. Someone at the door who enforces wearing mask but once a person is inside they just take off the mask and nobody does anything about it.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

FlamingLiberal posted:

when they do it to a regular cashier who isn't a manager and has no authority they are terrible and bad, though

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

muscles like this! posted:

Yeah, that's the thing I see a lot when I go grocery shopping. Someone at the door who enforces wearing mask but once a person is inside they just take off the mask and nobody does anything about it.

You have no idea how many times I've seen people just strolling around without masks drinking Starbucks, or talking on phones. Not to mention the number of people who just take their masks off to cough and/or sneeze :suicide:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

InediblePenguin posted:

when they do it to a regular cashier who isn't a manager and has no authority they are terrible and bad, though
Yeah I agree with that

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

My uncle is running a worksite in Texas and he had two old ladies working at a liquor store mock him for wearing a mask. He's one of the most non-confrontational guys so he lied and said he works at a hospital.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
It is kind of odd. Go into most places and mask wearing is about 90+%. Go into a gas station and it's like 20%. I get the willies every time I step into a QuickTrip these days.

My brother may have gotten COVID-19 on Monday working a funeral. Rules are 50 people max, but he estimates there were 150 there that day. Lots of people in close quarters oozing bodily fluids from their eye holes while hugging one another. Like a coronavirus gangbang.

Jeza posted:

D.C. is bananas with homeless people. I've never seen that many in such a small space. I generally give to panhandlers, but there's no way to even get your mind around passing that many desperate people on a simple mile long walk. And it's our seat of government and probably one of the richest areas of the country when you include Northern Virginia, so sure...makes complete sense that they can't figure this poo poo out.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Places like Arlington also deliberately zoned to make housing too expensive for African Americans but not too expensive for whites once they couldn't legally segregate. That's why Arlington has so much detached single family residential despite being an urban core.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

FlamingLiberal posted:

They are Karens, it is just that they are being pushy about a subject which you personally agree with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

silence_kit posted:

They are Karens, it is just that they are being pushy about a subject which you personally agree with.
Karen is generally not used to refer to people asking for the manager to deal with a legitimate complaint.

Exception:

InediblePenguin posted: