Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

hes showing the very good movie Drive starring Ryan Gosling and directed by Nicolas Winding Refn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I've given up on Willy's Wonderland about 45 minutes in. This is godawful.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Oh no....

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I read a review of Willy's Wonderland that said Nicolas Cage doesn't speak at all in the movie, which sounds very stupid. Is it true?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

The Berzerker posted:

I read a review of Willy's Wonderland that said Nicolas Cage doesn't speak at all in the movie, which sounds very stupid. Is it true?

idk I still feel like I would enjoy it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

The Berzerker posted:

Where I got up to, yes.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Kvlt! posted:

hes showing the very good movie Drive starring Ryan Gosling and directed by Nicolas Winding Refn

Also Sunshine is the 2007 film

Tarnop fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Feb 13, 2021

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

The_Doctor posted:

How godawful? I do have a pretty high tolerance for the degrees of bad cinema.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

this is me but psycho goreman i wanted to like it

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Thought I'd treat myself for my birthday and ordered some stuff, including The Red Queen Kills Seven Times and Short Night of Glass Dolls after seeing them recommended in here :3:

Also Don't Torture a Duckling because that's one of my fav Fulci films and I've kept thinking about it off and on since I first saw it randomly thanks to Vudu's free-with-ads service last year

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

happy birthday! ddat is underrated Fulci good choice

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

M_Sinistrari posted:

How godawful? I do have a pretty high tolerance for the degrees of bad cinema.

Just bad character writing because the plot demands it, and the only way to have it happen is people making nonsense decisions and be some of the biggest idiots I've seen in cinema in a long time. I appreciate that's a horror movie trope, but this feels especially egregious in this day and age.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

if you wanna be horrified this corporate and federal long weekend, watch Judas and The Black Messiah and be horrified.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It really doesn’t especially this day and age.

People are goddamn idiots beyond all measure

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Hey Kvlt!, have you seen Fetus (2008)? It's a SOV "gore film" (as per the opening credits) created by Brian Paulin of Morbid Vision Films. I haven't seen many of these sorts of movies, but I enjoyed this for what it is and I'm curious if you've seen it and what you think.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

The_Doctor posted:

Just finished watching it with about 10 friends in a discord call and we were screaming the entire time. It is a 90 minute vehicle for a completely silent Nic Cage to violently eviscerate sentient animatronics. It's very dumb, but in a way that I deeply, deeply gently caress with, and absolutely everything in the movie is in service of setting Cage up to do batshit violence against puppets.

One kill in particular was the moment I knew I was 100% in on this flick: He forces a gorilla animatronic to bite down on a urinal and curb stomps it into a pile of gore. It loving ruled.

edit: There's also an upsettingly coherent way to read this film as a criticism of the cult of profit and how systems, like cops, will violently protect bourgeois interests and be willing to sacrifice their own children to do it.

Sab Sabbington fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Feb 13, 2021

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

God that sounds like a blast. Gonna get drunk tomorrow and watch it and PG again.

Because it’s the best of all time

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Sab Sabbington posted:

everything in the movie is in service of setting Cage up to do batshit violence against puppets.

If this sentence is even 10% accurate the movie's gonna be gold.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Sab Sabbington posted:

Just finished watching it with about 10 friends in a discord call and we were screaming the entire time. It is a 90 minute vehicle for a completely silent Nic Cage to violently eviscerate sentient animatronics. It's very dumb, but in a way that I deeply, deeply gently caress with, and absolutely everything in the movie is in service of setting Cage up to do batshit violence against puppets.

One kill in particular was the moment I knew I was 100% in on this flick: He forces a gorilla animatronic to bite down on a urinal and curb stomps it into a pile of gore. It loving ruled.

edit: There's also an upsettingly coherent way to read this film as a criticism of the cult of profit and how systems, like cops, will violently protect bourgeois interests and be willing to sacrifice their own children to do it.

Kinda wish I'd waited to buy stuff because this whole post sold me on this film even more than I thought the concept of "silent Nicolas Cage killing Five Nights At Freddy's characters" could sell me

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Spatulater bro! posted:

Hey Kvlt!, have you seen Fetus (2008)? It's a SOV "gore film" (as per the opening credits) created by Brian Paulin of Morbid Vision Films. I haven't seen many of these sorts of movies, but I enjoyed this for what it is and I'm curious if you've seen it and what you think.

Oh man this is a blast from the past I haven't seen this one in forever. It was tough to track down a copy back in the day but I remember it being pretty good, I have the DVD somewhere I gotta find it again. Definitely a love letter to people like Olaf Ittenbach, I dug this one! Great effects, and a crazy gross-out story. If you liked it, Bone Sickness is the other Brian Paulin movie that I really liked, his other ones vary in quality. Fetus I think drew a lot of inspiration from Mermaid in a Manhole so I'd check out that one too if you liked it.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

The_Doctor posted:

Just bad character writing because the plot demands it, and the only way to have it happen is people making nonsense decisions and be some of the biggest idiots I've seen in cinema in a long time. I appreciate that's a horror movie trope, but this feels especially egregious in this day and age.

Okay, still sounds like it's got some potential considering circumstance. Off to the watchlists it goes.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Kvlt! posted:

Oh man this is a blast from the past I haven't seen this one in forever. It was tough to track down a copy back in the day but I remember it being pretty good, I have the DVD somewhere I gotta find it again. Definitely a love letter to people like Olaf Ittenbach, I dug this one! Great effects, and a crazy gross-out story. If you liked it, Bone Sickness is the other Brian Paulin movie that I really liked, his other ones vary in quality. Fetus I think drew a lot of inspiration from Mermaid in a Manhole so I'd check out that one too if you liked it.

Awesome. I knew you wouldn't disappoint! I have seen Mermaid in a Manhole, and now that you mention it I do see the similarities.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Mermaid in a Manhole owns but I think He Never Dies is my favorite GP movie

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Very late to this party but holy cow Bacurau is such a great time and not anything I expected it to be. I was just grinning from ear to ear from when they reveal the conceit of the film to the end

flashy_mcflash fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Feb 13, 2021

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

Mermaid in a Manhole owns but I think He Never Dies is my favorite GP movie

Is that one of the comedic ones? I've only seen Mermaid and Flowers of Flesh of Blood.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Benito Cereno posted:

I’ve been checking out a lot of 2020 releases as much of the buzzy stuff from last year is starting to hit streaming and disc. Possessor, Vast of Night, Impetigore, and Alone were all good to great.

Just watched Alone (streaming on Hulu) and thought it was really good. Very solid entry in "bad poo poo going down in the woods" genre and superior to What Keeps You Alive.

It's a tough watch because a high level of tension is maintained pretty much through the entire film. Things I liked about it included the fact that the heroine and others didn't do any totally dumbass things. This missteps that happened were very realistic, with people maintaining an appropriate level of suspicion and guard for the most part, but sometimes just not quite enough. Such as the heroine stopping to talk to the villain (nonono!) but avoiding his broken down car ruse early on (yes!), or the semihelpful hunter (hello Dr. Frederick Chilton!) not quite believing the heroine enough and being taken in a bit too long by the respectable looking middle class white guy's story.

I liked that the heroine was resourceful and took advantage of just about every break that came her way but while capable, was still very vulnerable. She spent a long time seemingly paralyzed by fear while sizing up the situation, but acted decisively when the situation demanded it.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

flashy_mcflash posted:

Very late to this party but holy cow Bacurau is such a great time and not anything I expected it to be. I was just grinning from ear to ear from when they reveal the conceit of the film to the end

It's had some surprisingly negative opinions here too, possibly because people were expecting the movie to go into a quite different direction. It was very fun.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

married but discreet posted:

It's had some surprisingly negative opinions here too, possibly because people were expecting the movie to go into a quite different direction. It was very fun.

I definitely went into it expecting something very different -perhaps more arthousy based on the critical acclaim it got - but was pleasantly surprised. Everything in it clicked so hard for me, I was practically watching the last half like pro wrestling and cheering. This is another one I'd have loved to see in a theatre with an audience.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Hello lovebirds, don't miss the Scream Stream Valentine's Special tomorrow! Starting at 6 PM EST, we've got

The Addams Family (1991)

My Bloody Valentine

The Love Witch

Join us on the official cytube and don't forget to install the extension.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

That's a great line up :allears:

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Someone here recommended They're Watching for a found footage movie. Just checked it out, pretty standard stuff, but holy poo poo the last 20 minutes had me cackling.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Ooh Addams Family is one my partners favorites! And I’ve been specifically looking forward to the love witch for awhile.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
There's a lot of weird longing looks between Nic Cage and the young woman in Willy's Wonderland. Like.. a lot. There's nothing overt, but it was still kinda weird. Nic Cage loving the pinball machine was interesting.

Also, the kills aren't any good. It's fun to see Nic's performance as a silent something something war veteran with an addiction to soda, but it's very much Nic Cage's Internet Persona. Every character in this movie talks about how badass he is, there's that scene where an older person calls him "son" because he are supposed to forget how old he actually is, and again, the chemistry they try to imply between this character and Liv I think is pointing towards the character Nic's playing to be played by a younger dude.

Still, I liked it, because I like Cage. Every time he wasn't on screen, it seriously was, "what is Nic doing" and they cutaway sometimes to boring sheriff characters or stock horror kids loving in a haunted house, and I just want to get back to Nic making love to a pinball machine and washing dishes.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Feb 13, 2021

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Someone here recommended They're Watching for a found footage movie. Just checked it out, pretty standard stuff, but holy poo poo the last 20 minutes had me cackling.

That was me, and yeah, that last portion absolutely rules. It's a fairly standard found footage movie--though I think the characters are above average and it avoids a lot of the bullshit people don't like about the genre--until it goes HARD.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Firstborn posted:

There's a lot of weird longing looks between Nic Cage and the young woman in Willy's Wonderland. Like.. a lot. There's nothing overt, but it was still kinda weird. Nic Cage loving the pinball machine was interesting.

I mean the fact that some non-overt looks drew your attention more than the pinball machine loving says more about YOU buddy!!!!!!

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
The pinball loving was good. The pinball dancing was good. Nic cleaning up and fighting was good. Everything else was bad. The good news is the movie is like 80 minutes long and I described about 65% of it, but it would've been even better if this was 100%.

There's a surprising amount of world building for 80 minutes. There's like 3 flashbacks after we get the premise "these robits kill ppl". You can guess the plot in the *intro* and the way the townies are talking to him, but we still need aaaaall this backstory for a throwaway

"Hehehe, looks like you ran over a stolen spike strip. Well we don't take credit cards and we don't have internet in the whole town but this guy in a cowboy hat says he'll give you the $1,500 I estimated will fix your car if you spend one night in this place cleaning up. Yeah, we're going to chain it up behind you."
Yet we need like 20 minutes to explain that yes, the townies are in on it

It's one of those things in this movie that pointing out a tired trope doesn't excuse it, but some are used earnestly. It's a fast movie that could do without some of the lore. We're here for Cage bashing puppets.

Comedy Zinger: All of the stupid lore in this movie vs. the real backstory of Five Nights of Freddy's is just as dumb, so I guess it's a wash. Less dumb and better than the Banana Splits movie in this genre of Pizza Puppet Murders.

E2: Cage also looks really good in this movie. Looking in shape and big arms. This character seems like it could be the same one from Drive Angry lol.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Feb 13, 2021

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Still wanna watch that movie, don't care enough to drop $20 on it.

Psycho Goreman was more than worth $7 for a rental... $20 for any movie is asking a bit much, let alone an ironic drunkwatch.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Kvlt! posted:

https://twitter.com/dandock/status/1360270006500683780

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I liked Willys Wonderland. It was the exact right amount of stupid mixed with decent to even great at times cinematography, some good and creepy puppet costumes and fun Cage moments. It’s a good addition to this months release of Psycho Goreman as it fits in the same realm of its genre goopiness. It’s also a tight 88 minutes which in this current world of 2+ hour over wrought flicks is a godsend. It doesn’t mince words and it’s in and out I barely had three bowls.

I could easily see a triple feature of Willys Wonderland, Psycho Goreman and VFW as the midnite show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I don't think the pacing is as good as some goons here are saying, but it's forgiven with it's short runtime before it wears out it's welcome. Nic Cage is always good. Honestly, like PG, it's a solid B+.