Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

My 2015 rMBP had intel and nvidia gpus. 🤷‍♂️

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

My 2013 had an nvidia and could do 4K at... 30hz :mrwhite:

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Quantum of Phallus posted:

My 2013 had an nvidia and could do 4K at... 30hz :mrwhite:

What up fellow late 2013 rMBP haver

And it's definitely an Nvidia limitation, since on those machines GPU switching is only for the internal display and all external ports are connected to the NVidia GPU only. IDK how the 2015s work.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Meanwhile, Apple announces another battery replacement program, but this time it's for 2016-2017 rMBPs.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212163

Apple posted:

A very small number of customers with 2016 and 2017 MacBook Pro computers have experienced an issue with the battery not charging past 1%.

The battery health status on these devices will also indicate "Service Recommended." If the status indicates that your battery is Normal, your battery is not affected by this issue.

If your 2016 or 2017 MacBook Pro exhibits these behaviors, contact Apple to get your battery replaced, free of charge. Your computer will be examined prior to service to verify that it is eligible for the free battery replacement.

Apple has also released a macOS update that prevents this issue from happening to other 2016 and 2017 MacBook Pro computers. Please update to macOS Big Sur 11.2.1 or later or install the macOS Catalina 10.15.7 supplemental update.

So, if your rMBP is one of the bad ones, you'll get a new top case swapped in for free- that's a brand new keyboard, trackpad, battery, and speakers.

Good on Apple for taking responsibility for this, but I literally just serviced like four or five 2017 laptops with this issue and all were way out of warranty (or in one case, the user didn't buy AppleCare because he thought it was a bad gamble.)

LOL at 'very small number of customers'

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Sure four laptops, but you're only one customer.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

BobHoward posted:

Yes, the iPad doesn't count towards that. Same goes for DisplayLink based USB video cards. If your main purpose for another display is to display fairly static content (say, you want a place to put a PDF you're referring to from time to time while you do your work on other displays), DisplayLink is usually very needs suiting.
Hell DisplayLink stuff can do 4k/60 these days, and performance is pretty good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEhoFz6ldSU&t=143s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1J3lSZfrko

Probably not perfect or anything but definitely more useful than just static content.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
hopefully they are guilted (lol US regulatory enforcement doing anything about this) into making it like the butterfly keyboard thing in perpetuity, or at least, until OS support runs out. I've been one of the lucky ones with my late-prod 17 machine but it's also been unplugged like, what, 10 times, maybe, since quarantine?

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
My 2019 16in Macbook Pro (purchased last October) has only 77 charge cycles on it and is giving me a 81% battery health reading.

Just reached out to Apple Support and I'm going to a Simply Mac store nearby because most of the Apple stores are temporarily closed for Covid.

Anyone have any experience with Simply Mac? I'm hoping they don't gently caress me out of the replacement battery that I need.

Also do you guys know if they generally just replace the battery or will they probably just give me a replacement laptop?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

What did apple support tell you to. do when you called them? To go to an apple certified repair shop?

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Nitrousoxide posted:

What did apple support tell you to. do when you called them? To go to an apple certified repair shop?

I did the online apple support chat and they gave me the option to book with an apple certified repair shop yes.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

64bit_Dophins posted:

I did the online apple support chat and they gave me the option to book with an apple certified repair shop yes.

We used to have a shop like that in the Twin Cities that was pretty great. I’m surprised Apple didn’t offer a mail-in option, but if they’re certified it shouldn’t be any different of a repair as you’d get at one of their stores.

If I’m not mistaken, it does require replacing your top case, which includes the keyboard and a few other parts, but I’m not sure which exactly. I think it was Binary Badger who broke it down a page or two back though.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

apple will also send you to Best Buy for some things too. that was sorta weird when I did that for a crackling airpod last fall. They didn't fix or replace it there, BB essentially just mailed the stuff for me?

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Has anyone else had an issue with 2015 MBPs and blown speakers. I've owned two of them and both had blown speakers, and figured I was probably just playing music with too much bass. But now my work 2015, which has never had anything more than the odd youtube video and Zoom, has had its speaker has blown out, leading me to suspect its something endemic to the model.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

nitsuga posted:

We used to have a shop like that in the Twin Cities that was pretty great. I’m surprised Apple didn’t offer a mail-in option, but if they’re certified it shouldn’t be any different of a repair as you’d get at one of their stores.

If I’m not mistaken, it does require replacing your top case, which includes the keyboard and a few other parts, but I’m not sure which exactly. I think it was Binary Badger who broke it down a page or two back though.

Last Chance posted:

apple will also send you to Best Buy for some things too. that was sorta weird when I did that for a crackling airpod last fall. They didn't fix or replace it there, BB essentially just mailed the stuff for me?

They weren't able to help me because the condition of my battery still reads as "normal" and they're unable to "make an exception as a 3rd party shop" - so he gave me some different apple support number to call for a mail in return.

I can either do that or fork over $250 for a new battery installed by the shop.

Either way it kind of sucks, but that's more or less what I expected tbh.

After fully cycling the battery the battery health jumped from 81%-88% but honestly after just 4 months of use that's straight up unacceptable. I don't think the battery health on this laptop has ever been over 92%, even when it was new.

I consulted the support forums and they told me that this is normal? I just waited to see if it got any worse and since then it has been dropping rapidly.

I'm going to be super pissed if I can not get a replacement.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

64bit_Dophins posted:

They weren't able to help me because the condition of my battery still reads as "normal" and they're unable to "make an exception as a 3rd party shop" - so he gave me some different apple support number to call for a mail in return.

I can either do that or fork over $250 for a new battery installed by the shop.

Either way it kind of sucks, but that's more or less what I expected tbh.

After fully cycling the battery the battery health jumped from 81%-88% but honestly after just 4 months of use that's straight up unacceptable. I don't think the battery health on this laptop has ever been over 92%, even when it was new.

I consulted the support forums and they told me that this is normal? I just waited to see if it got any worse and since then it has been dropping rapidly.

I'm going to be super pissed if I can not get a replacement.

Gotcha. Sounds like the initial warranty is up, so unless you have AppleCare+, you would be at their mercy. At least I think that’s how it goes with batteries. Almost worth its cost for that alone, but yeah give that number a try and explain what you want. Someone might just listen. Otherwise, $250 isn’t that bad, but I’d probably use it until I couldn’t tolerate the battery life and determine what’s best then.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

nitsuga posted:

Gotcha. Sounds like the initial warranty is up, so unless you have AppleCare+, you would be at their mercy. At least I think that’s how it goes with batteries. Almost worth its cost for that alone, but yeah give that number a try and explain what you want. Someone might just listen. Otherwise, $250 isn’t that bad, but I’d probably use it until I couldn’t tolerate the battery life and determine what’s best then.

I got a replacement processed under warranty. I called Apple support and explained the situation and they processed a RMA immediately. I bought the computer last October so it was still covered under the 1 year limited warranty.

I think the Apple repair place just didn’t want to deal with me lol. I’m really not surprised tbh.

Apple support really does kick rear end for real.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

64bit_Dophins posted:

I got a replacement processed under warranty. I called Apple support and explained the situation and they processed a RMA immediately. I bought the computer last October so it was still covered under the 1 year limited warranty.

I think the Apple repair place just didn’t want to deal with me lol. I’m really not surprised tbh.

Apple support really does kick rear end for real.

Hmm, maybe I should look into this. I bought an Intel MBP in August (lol) and it's been at 86%-88% since November. Hasn't really dropped but I can tell battery life isn't that great.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

FCKGW posted:

Hmm, maybe I should look into this. I bought an Intel MBP in August (lol) and it's been at 86%-88% since November. Hasn't really dropped but I can tell battery life isn't that great.

I cycled the battery one last time and the battery health on my 16in is now reading at 88% but honestly after only 77 cycles (78 now) that is straight up unacceptable.

Having talked to my cousin and two friends that bought new 16in intel macbook pros around the same time (q3 2020) I feel like a lot of these computers shipped with defective batteries straight up.

I don't think I've ever gotten more than 3 hours of battery life even in the most conservative of situations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Do not bother dealing with a shop, IME. Just go straight to Apple support on the phone and have them tell you what to do. Even if you’re not covered by AppleCare/warranty/product recalls/etc, I’d rather have a support manager from Apple tell me that directly than have a clerk at a third party repair shop tell me that they can’t or won’t get me in.

Getting to under 88% battery health less than 5 months after purchase does not seem reasonable to me.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

duck monster posted:

Has anyone else had an issue with 2015 MBPs and blown speakers. I've owned two of them and both had blown speakers, and figured I was probably just playing music with too much bass. But now my work 2015, which has never had anything more than the odd youtube video and Zoom, has had its speaker has blown out, leading me to suspect its something endemic to the model.

Have Apple replace the battery ($199) if new speakers are worth it to you.

New battery means they replace the entire top case, which gives you a new keyboard, trackpad, battery, and speakers..

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Has anyone tried to push 4k /120hz on an M1 mini?

Someone tell me it works so I can dump my windows desktop

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Walked posted:

Has anyone tried to push 4k /120hz on an M1 mini?

Someone tell me it works so I can dump my windows desktop

It will not be a good experience even if it works. The graphics power of the M1 isn't that great. I can tell that it struggles to keep up sometimes even with my 3440x1440p@75hz. I'd definitely wait for next gen if you plan on pushing 4k@120hz

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate
i really struggle to grasp what possible the benefit would be of 120hz in non-gaming applications

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Hello Spaceman posted:

i really struggle to grasp what possible the benefit would be of 120hz in non-gaming applications

https://youtu.be/ZFrkcCufwK4

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

look at this vr sex haver

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Ok Comboomer posted:

Do not bother dealing with a shop, IME. Just go straight to Apple support on the phone and have them tell you what to do. Even if you’re not covered by AppleCare/warranty/product recalls/etc, I’d rather have a support manager from Apple tell me that directly than have a clerk at a third party repair shop tell me that they can’t or won’t get me in.

Getting to under 88% battery health less than 5 months after purchase does not seem reasonable to me.

Out of curiosity I checked mine and it's at 93% capacity at 37 cycles, that doesnt seem great to me. My machine was manufactured in june too.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
my MBP is at 85%

it is eight years old

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Ok Comboomer posted:

my MBP is at 85%

it is eight years old

I keeps going between 81% and 89% health. It's really weird bc none of the other macbooks I've owned have done this.

track day bro! posted:

Out of curiosity I checked mine and it's at 93% capacity at 37 cycles, that doesnt seem great to me. My machine was manufactured in june too.

My machine was manufactured in April 2020.

I really think the Corona supplied batteries were largely defective after seeing countless forum posts about it.

I know 3 different people that have bought one since corona popped off and they have all had the same issue but none of them have bothered to get it replaced.

Hopefully this works and I can get battery life at least as good as my 2013 rMBP that lasted about 6 hours.

I'm lucky to get 3 on my retina macbook pro and it's just not acceptable tbh.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

64bit_Dophins posted:

My machine was manufactured in April 2020.

I really think the Corona supplied batteries were largely defective after seeing countless forum posts about it.

I know 3 different people that have bought one since corona popped off and they have all had the same issue but none of them have bothered to get it replaced.

Hopefully this works and I can get battery life at least as good as my 2013 rMBP that lasted about 6 hours.

I'm lucky to get 3 on my retina macbook pro and it's just not acceptable tbh.

This is my personal machine anyway, I ended up buying this one because my 2015 mbp's battery was pretty much done and it started to hardlock every so often. Thinking about it my work one is a 2019 and the battery life on that doesn't seem half as bad, but I've never really thought about it because my personal machine has mainly been stuck in one place.

This thing is gonna get traded in for the 2nd generation AS macbooks anyway so I wonder if I should bother asking apple about it

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Ran the 11.2.1 update last night on my M1 Mini and nearly had a heart attack.

totally normal update

After a few minutes the Apple logo and progress bar returned like nothing happened and the update proceeded as normal. This is… normal… right?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

64bit_Dophins posted:

I keeps going between 81% and 89% health. It's really weird bc none of the other macbooks I've owned have done this.

Not sure how to put this politely, but take it in for a warranty replacement already

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Hadlock posted:

Not sure how to put this politely, but take it in for a warranty replacement already

I already did.

They're sending me the box for the return - should be here in the next few days.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Glimpse posted:

totally normal update

After a few minutes the Apple logo and progress bar returned like nothing happened and the update proceeded as normal. This is… normal… right?

It's not normal, but also could plausibly be a driver bug or a weird interaction with your particular monitor, so it's not automatically bad hardware.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
This is my favorite random harmless bug I’ve run into lately (albeit old Intel Mac on Mojave):

I was using Quick Look to skim through some PDFs and this randomly happened on the last two pages of one of them. Maybe 120hz would’ve given me smoother spinning.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

EXTRA! EXTRA! SPINNING PDF KILLS MAC USER!

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

Glimpse posted:

totally normal update

There does seem to be something with this update and displays I guess for at least some setups; I have an M1 mini and got a message on my monitor for a bit stating something along the lines of the connected device was outputting a refresh rate the monitor didn’t support. (I don’t recall the exact message.) After a few moments, the message went away, I got the Apple logo, and everything’s been fine since.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

My M1 mini only wakes up my monitor maybe half the time now. I have to turn it in manually the other half.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

EXTRA! EXTRA! SPINNING PDF KILLS MAC USER!

Paperboy on the Mac App Store

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

Paperboy on the Mac App Store
Does it kill you with IAPs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Son
Jul 23, 2009
I completely broke my iPad by kneeling on it under the blanket. It’s warped and the screen is shattered and nothing shows, but it’s on and has sound. I have no warranty.

Can apple “repair” this by outright replacing it with another iPad, if I pay the out of warranty service fee?