Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bark! A Vagrant
Jan 4, 2007

Grad school is good for mental health

Just got some new /dev/tty MT3 keycaps. I'm loving the MT3 profile, but I made a totally amateur mistake and didn't get any extra keys to account for the number of 1u modifier keys that the Moonlander has. I actually knew that it wasn't enough 1u keys, but stupidly thought that I could just keep my existing keys there not realizing how giant the MT3 keycaps are. Not the end of the world, in the end, it just means a few flat keycaps sprinkled around the edges plus many of the modifier keys are lies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Gearman posted:

Speaking of Godspeed, Godspeed mats are back in stock over at Novelkeys https://novelkeys.xyz/products/godspeed-v2-deskpads?variant=32208219111517

already gone :(

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Durock T1/Holy Panda/Zealios V2 current tactile hot shits? Anything I'm forgetting?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Ziploc posted:

Durock T1/Holy Panda/Zealios V2 current tactile hot shits? Anything I'm forgetting?

Boba U4 / Glorious Panda

e: ergo clears :laugh:

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

I ended up goin with Boba U4s for my NK65 and I'm really loving them.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

When I bought my Keychron k2 a few months ago I was sure my muscle memory would adjust pretty quickly to the layout, but lolol was I wrong. I still have to look to find page down, end, etc and constantly hit the light bulb key instead of delete. I might have brain damage.

In any case I have no plans to replace the thing and I'm overall really happy with it but if I had it to do over I'd have gone with a tenkeyless layout. Also, I've spent way more time on swirling rainbow mode than I expected. :buddy:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
welp. I managed to break the OFF/Bluetooth/USB switch off my Keychron K8 somehow. gently caress.
I pulled it apart to see if it's replaceable and it looks like I'm gonna be hard pressed to find a replacement. It's not even like a discrete switch, it's just a piece of bent metal over a plastic piece that slides between a couple of contact points directly on the pcb :(

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

welp. I managed to break the OFF/Bluetooth/USB switch off my Keychron K8 somehow. gently caress.
I pulled it apart to see if it's replaceable and it looks like I'm gonna be hard pressed to find a replacement. It's not even like a discrete switch, it's just a piece of bent metal over a plastic piece that slides between a couple of contact points directly on the pcb :(

Post a photo, might be able to ID it

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

That sounds like something easily fixed with a 3D printer and some wire.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Gearman posted:

That sounds like something easily fixed with a 3D printer and some wire.

I mean it's easily fixed with a drill, 4 wires and a 4p3t switch but I would really prefer to just put it back the way it was rather than hack up the case and toss an enormous switch in there.

Opioid posted:

Post a photo, might be able to ID it

Here's 4:

And an album link in case you want to enhance https://imgur.com/a/nn2b6Ot

e: and I think I found it.
https://www.e-switch.com/product-catalog/surface-mount/product-lines/eg1315-series-slide-switch#.YCN7TOhKiUk

This one seems a bit taller than mine though...
I measured 2.60mm x 9.70mm and 1.6mm tall

double edit: I think it's this one? https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/te-connectivity-alcoswitch-switches/MLL1300S/1286461
I just checked the mounting points and the appear to line up. I might have to pick up a couple just in case this happens again...

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Feb 10, 2021

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
It's been my first time down the rabbit hole with an Akko 3068 that I really like, and I recently got my first set of custom keycaps. But the one thing I wish I could change out was the frame. I've had a look online and it doesn't look like you can get aftermarket frames for the Akko 3068 (a bit of digging suggests that standoffs are in the wrong place for other brands). It's currently a 90's lookin grey frame, which looked great with the original keycaps but not so much with my new ones. I'd love to paint it black. Would anyone be able to share any knowledge on spray painting plastic? Is that possible/even a good idea, or will I end up with a lumpy sticky frame that looks and feels bad?

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I mean it's easily fixed with a drill, 4 wires and a 4p3t switch but I would really prefer to just put it back the way it was rather than hack up the case and toss an enormous switch in there.

Here's 4:

And an album link in case you want to enhance https://imgur.com/a/nn2b6Ot

e: and I think I found it.
https://www.e-switch.com/product-catalog/surface-mount/product-lines/eg1315-series-slide-switch#.YCN7TOhKiUk

This one seems a bit taller than mine though...
I measured 2.60mm x 9.70mm and 1.6mm tall

double edit: I think it's this one? https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/te-connectivity-alcoswitch-switches/MLL1300S/1286461
I just checked the mounting points and the appear to line up. I might have to pick up a couple just in case this happens again...

Nice! Looks like the one, and it’s not too crowded there to swap. Just pop some flux on first and it’ll probably be an easy fix!

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

The Grumbles posted:

It's been my first time down the rabbit hole with an Akko 3068 that I really like, and I recently got my first set of custom keycaps. But the one thing I wish I could change out was the frame. I've had a look online and it doesn't look like you can get aftermarket frames for the Akko 3068 (a bit of digging suggests that standoffs are in the wrong place for other brands). It's currently a 90's lookin grey frame, which looked great with the original keycaps but not so much with my new ones. I'd love to paint it black. Would anyone be able to share any knowledge on spray painting plastic? Is that possible/even a good idea, or will I end up with a lumpy sticky frame that looks and feels bad?

Akko 3068 is a rebrand of Tada68, so you should look for a case for that. Tofu65 for example:
https://kbdfans.com/products/in-stocktofu-65-aluminum-case

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Terminally Bored posted:

Akko 3068 is a rebrand of Tada68, so you should look for a case for that. Tofu65 for example:

Thanks - but this reddit thread seems to suggest that the standoffs don't match up? https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/ce0u42/does_anybody_know_if_this_case_will_fit_an_akko/

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Terminally Bored posted:

I am nearly sure Akko isn't a rebrand of anything. I have about 5 of them and they are all labeled Akko on the internal PCB as well.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Oh, I just assumed that what they're selling is this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Akko-Maxkey-Keyboard-Bluetooth-Mechanical/dp/B07MW7QXD8
If it different, then yeah, the standoffs may be at different places.

I got a retro-themed Akko 3068, modded it with Gateron CAP Yellows and padded it with felt. It feels amazing to type on.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Terminally Bored posted:

Oh, I just assumed that what they're selling is this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Akko-Maxkey-Keyboard-Bluetooth-Mechanical/dp/B07MW7QXD8
If it different, then yeah, the standoffs may be at different places.

I got a retro-themed Akko 3068, modded it with Gateron CAP Yellows and padded it with felt. It feels amazing to type on.

I have the same retro-themed model. It's great (but as its my first mechanical keyboard I got overexcited and bought some new keycaps to customize it a little).
I'd be curious to know more about what you mean exactly when you say padded it with felt.

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Feb 10, 2021

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

You just buy a piece of felt (any will do, if it's thin just put two or more pieces on top of each other), open up the keyboard (5 or 6 screws under the keycaps iirc) and cut the felt so that it will fit the bottom of the case. Cut out the holes for the screw standoffs. The case is hollow, especially since this model doesn't have BT nor a battery so you can change the typing sound a lot if you put the pcb on some soft material. Leopold and Varmilo keyboards come with these stock, factory cut and all.

This dude used packing foam for this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_IkMCPGnT8

And as far as changing the soldered switches come, just get this and never look back:
https://aliexpress.com/item/1000001831864.html
Soldering switches is nice, fast and easy. It's the desoldering part that sucks.

Terminally Bored fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Feb 10, 2021

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
edit: gently caress me wrong thread sorry

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Feb 10, 2021

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Wizard of the Deep posted:

It's such a good profile. I finally got my Mountain Everest in yesterday (after ordering it in November), and typing on the OEM set was just rotten. Now I've got my Susuwatari set back on, it's a night & day difference.

What happens when you set your static light to white? My TKL and numpad don't really match when set to 255,255,255. I emailed support and they said it was normal.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Anybody here have a Vortex Race 3? It turns out after years of not thinking I can use mechanical keyboards, cherry Browns actually are fine for my hands. I love the style of that board, and I like the RBG and Mac features. I don't care about switching keycaps either, so the weird keys don't bother me.

Nulldevice
Jun 17, 2006
Toilet Rascal
Yeah, I've got two Vortex Race 3s. I don't use them anymore however. I got them with Cherry clears. One was set up for a PC and one for a Mac. I should probably get around to selling them. They are the first version without the RGB lighting. I went to a 65% layout keyboard after some fumbling around with various layouts. I did like the Vortex though. The keys never bothered me.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Ziploc posted:

What happens when you set your static light to white? My TKL and numpad don't really match when set to 255,255,255. I emailed support and they said it was normal.

That would drive me bonkers.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
Thanks to this thread I’ve ordered a Ducky TKL with skyline keycaps and suddenly I’m looking at pulling the trigger on some aluminum Drop case with SA key caps and holy panda switches
and if you see me in a few months time with a paintbrush of lube and a switch decapper and a box of bandaids, or coding firmware for Hall effect sensors please say a prayer for my soul.
This hobby is like functional Gunpla except even more open ended.

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Feb 11, 2021

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Ziploc posted:

I've got a much smaller level of variance between base and keypad. Nowhere near that bad. I also usually use the wrist rest, which completely blocks the edge lighting. I don't see much significant difference between the lights under the keys. Sorry, that sucks.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Changed my mind on the Vortex, and instead ordered A DurGod Nebula TKL. (apparently better build quality, USB C and standard keys all had appeal to me, and I ordered two of them With cherry browns and a cherry silver, to see which I like best). Excited for all the RBG. Durgod make quality boards right?

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

LionArcher posted:

Changed my mind on the Vortex, and instead ordered A DurGod Nebula TKL. (apparently better build quality, USB C and standard keys all had appeal to me, and I ordered two of them With cherry browns and a cherry silver, to see which I like best). Excited for all the RBG. Durgod make quality boards right?

Durgod has a great quality for it’s pricing. Can’t go wrong for an entry level board.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

LionArcher posted:

Sorry to probably make you second guess yourself but I have a race3 rgb and I absolutely love it. I'm sure the Durgod is fine; I went with the race3 for the super compactness with all the keys I wanted still.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Sorry to probably make you second guess yourself but I have a race3 rgb and I absolutely love it. I'm sure the Durgod is fine; I went with the race3 for the super compactness with all the keys I wanted still.

No worries. I read about some rust issues with the inside of race3 which turned me off to them, but if I find a key-switch I like my next step is to go full custom board by the end of the year. I was leery of this because I need function keys for media controls for mac, but having played around with software last night I feel like I can do with a smaller custom board if I do find switches that work for me. (I think the 65% works because it has the page up and down keys I can remap forward and back with tracks). Just very sad that botanical keycaps are out of stock everywhere and so expense :(.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer

seems people don’t like the diarrhea keyboard

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

I have the diarrhea keyboard! I got it for Christmas a couple years ago and I actually quite like it. I only use it with a secondary computer, but the switches (Gateron blues) are very nice and it seems like it has good battery life and whatnot. The only real issue with it is the odd layout. If you look closely, the question mark and forward slash key is to the RIGHT of the shift and up arrow keys, and that SUCKS. Every time I type a question or try to comment out some code I hit the loving up arrow key and it drives me insane, which is why it's nice that it's relegated to a computer I don't use very often.

I'm currently in the process of replacing my G710+, which is my first mech and daily driver. I like it, but it's loving gigantic and I've had it for seven years now. I've also been working from home now almost a year, and I'm breaking the stems of some of my keycaps that see a lot of use like control and delete. I've created a 99 key layout based on the Keychron K8 but instead of a key at the top right that will control the lights, I'm putting a volume control knob since I won't be adding any lights. I've ordered all the switches, keycaps, stabilizers, diodes, and microcontroller, and will post when it's all printed, wired, and assembled.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
I’m thinking about downsizing to a 65% keyboard for better ergonomics, but I use the fn layer on function keys to conte audio and media. Would I still be able to do that? What else should I consider in losing the function row.

Also planning on switching to a tiling window manager soon, so i’ll be needing to learn a bunch of nrw key bindings anyway

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.
I imagine most 65%s on the market worth their salt will be programmable, so you can find another set of keys to use for media control. For example, on my 60% I have volume-, volume+, and mute on Fn + [, ], and \. I don't use <<, >>, or play/pause, so I haven't programmed those, but perhaps , . / can work for that.

It'll take some experimenting to find out what works best for you, but that's part of the fun of this hobby :)

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

How does a smaller keyboard help with ergo? It's not like you have to reach past the numpad or f keys to get to the rest of the keyboard.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Head Bee Guy posted:

I’m thinking about downsizing to a 65% keyboard for better ergonomics, but I use the fn layer on function keys to conte audio and media. Would I still be able to do that? What else should I consider in losing the function row.

Also planning on switching to a tiling window manager soon, so i’ll be needing to learn a bunch of nrw key bindings anyway

I still love my drop alt. I don't miss the function keys at all. You just get used to using your number row with your function key.

I do miss my numpad and have been on the lookout for one that would match my alt.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer

VelociBacon posted:

How does a smaller keyboard help with ergo? It's not like you have to reach past the numpad or f keys to get to the rest of the keyboard.

It lets me move the mouse closer to where my right hand when i’m typing. so my position when using the mouse is less asymmetrical

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
That's really where the YMMV comes in with split keyboards vs reduced keyboards - if you mouse more than type, you won't see as much benefit from a split versus even just a tenkeyless.

utamaru
Mar 8, 2008

BRAP BRAP BRAP BRAP
I'm looking to buy a new keyboard for that exact reason, getting the numpad out of the way would help my arm alot I think. Tenkeyless vs smaller boards is the question for me now, but I'm really leaning TKL.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

I used a tenkeyless for about a year before switching to a 65% board and I firmly believe if space saving w/ flexibility is your goal then it's really hard to beat the 65% layout.

Also tried a 60% for a few months and that required a bit too many key combos for my liking while not really saving much space over the 65%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
75% is somewhere in between. Almost the same functionality as a TKL, but with a smaller footprint.

Speaking of which I see HK Gaming came out with their 75% Galaxy - US$100 for a barebones that's just lacking switches and keys. Apparently has pretty good features for that price; I'd get one if I weren't waiting on the GMMK Pro.