Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: bagmonkey)

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Jean claude van damme might

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010

Internetjack posted:

Winter temperatures anyone? I had 7F, -13C this morning.
Thankfully I remembered to load up the wood burning stove last night, and pull in a whole other load of firewood before going to sleep. Got the house all nice and warm again quickly this AM.
Its suppose to be colder tonight.

-9 c right now, gonna drop to - 17 during the night and morning. Its nice but it sure gonna be hard to get out of the apartment tomorrow morning.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I don't know where else to vent about this, so here will have to do.

I bought a pair of used headphones on Amazon a while back.
What got sent to me was the BOX for what I ordered and a pair of like, $30 dollar knock off things (what I ordered was like $125).

So, using Amazon I sent a message stating that what I got wasn't what I ordered and that I'd return them for the right item.

Ok cool. So, they sent me another pair of the right kind and I printed off a return slip and took it to a kohls store, who do their returns for them, and got confirmation that all is good.

... Now Amazon is sending me automated emails that they're expecting the original item to be returned to them.
...I can't do that. I never GOT the original item, that was the problem.
Also Amazon's emails specifically state 'this is automated don't respond to this' and offer no alternative contact info.

So that's cool.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Your first mistake was using Amazon.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
without my $30 jvc harx700 headphones i am nothing

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

Bag Flying At Noon, (2024)

Big Beef City posted:

I don't know where else to vent about this, so here will have to do.

I bought a pair of used headphones on Amazon a while back.
What got sent to me was the BOX for what I ordered and a pair of like, $30 dollar knock off things (what I ordered was like $125).

So, using Amazon I sent a message stating that what I got wasn't what I ordered and that I'd return them for the right item.

Ok cool. So, they sent me another pair of the right kind and I printed off a return slip and took it to a kohls store, who do their returns for them, and got confirmation that all is good.

... Now Amazon is sending me automated emails that they're expecting the original item to be returned to them.
...I can't do that. I never GOT the original item, that was the problem.
Also Amazon's emails specifically state 'this is automated don't respond to this' and offer no alternative contact info.

So that's cool.

If you dig around the website you can find a long tedious process that gets you to a real person and once you get to one they’ll fix it quickly, but yeah put aside an hour or two.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Internetjack posted:

Winter temperatures anyone? I had 7F, -13C this morning.
Thankfully I remembered to load up the wood burning stove last night, and pull in a whole other load of firewood before going to sleep. Got the house all nice and warm again quickly this AM.
Its suppose to be colder tonight.

-30C (about - 40C with windchill) the last few days. Warming up starting on the weekend thank god

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Bears are my favourite tho I’ve never seen one in the wild. I also love dogs and have two.

Raccoons seem like fun

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop

MakaVillian posted:

-30C (about - 40C with windchill) the last few days. Warming up starting on the weekend thank god

Nice. Winter is an amazing mistress.

Just hit 6F at 7pm, so its will be chilly here by the morning.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop

Jakabite posted:

Bears are my favourite tho I’ve never seen one in the wild. I also love dogs and have two.

Raccoons seem like fun

They are all the same, bears and raccoons, bunch of foragers and scavengers. I'll have to share some bear stories again, cause gotta post : )

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I've seen bears a few times but only for a moment or two before they haul rear end.
I know normally you can handle them and they don't bother people unless there's 'stuff' involved but still, seeing a big predator animal while you're just walking or biking is unnerving a little.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Big Beef City posted:

I've seen bears a few times but only for a moment or two before they haul rear end.
I know normally you can handle them and they don't bother people unless there's 'stuff' involved but still, seeing a big predator animal while you're just walking or biking is unnerving a little.

Animals are unpredictable, probably good to be a little unnerved.

I was walking around my neighborhood when I noticed a very cute little squirrel. He ran out from a bush and looked at me expectantly from about 6 feet away.

I approached and instead of running away he started doing cute poses.

Then he climbed up the bush and slowly started coming towards me.

I had never been this close to a squirrel before, just inches away from me. I'm transfixed as he crawls even closer.

That was the last picture I got before he leaped at me and tried to smack the phone out of my hand.

Scared the poo poo out of me, lol.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Ignoring leap years:

32 pages in 75 days.

(1000 / 32) * 75 = 2,344

2,344 - 32 = 2,312

2,312 / 365 = 6.33 = 6 + ((33/100) * 365) = 6 + 120

So at the demonstrated rate of posting, this thread will reach 1,000 pages in 6 years and 4 months (June 2027).

Congratulations in advance to all of us who are still haunting the forums then. :henget:

(Posting from the Goldmine.)

Edit: Very nice squirrel photos, Tip.

BigBadSteve fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Feb 12, 2021

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I like this

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop
Checked the digital thermometer this morning. Yup, 4.8F. Oh wait, there is a minus sign... -4.8F It has since gotten colder.

Bear/survival story from years ago...

My brother and I were backpacking in Devil's Postpile, eastern Sierra Nevada mountains. 4 days, 3 nights. We were up at timberline at the end of the second day, and the trees are all short and stunted and we were having a tough time finding a tall tree to hang our food in for the night. This was before bear cannisters. We do our best but really our two bags are barely 15' off the ground and only a couple feet from the trunk of the trees on scrawny limbs. Not a great way to hang your food up.

Dawn of the next morning my brother wakes me up, there is a bear outside our tent and sure enough, it got up the first tree, got the bag down and is just tearing into our food. Inhaling it. Cute black bear maybe 3 years old, but total jerk.

We make noise, bang pots, yell, etc. Bear is not giving a poo poo. My brother even starts to throw sticks at it. It does not give a gently caress and I remember watching it suck down a package of tortillas, plastic and all, in one breath. It pretty much had the attitude of "leave the gently caress alone you assholes, I'm trying to have some breakfast here". Finally I light a stick on fire and start waving it around. Bear freaks out and takes off. Yay!

We assess the damage and realize we have about 600 calories of food left. And two days of hiking to get back out, a good 15+ miles. We weren't going to die, but it was going to suck.

We got lucky though. Had our fishing gear and hit a creek that afternoon and got a couple little fish for lunch. We do about 8 miles that day, splitting a granola bar and such.
We camp at a high mountain lake that night. It was really beautiful. We make camp at sunset, skies are purple and orange, top of the mountains, just gorgeous. We hit the lake to fish ASAP, and in about 5 minutes I get a hit, a big one. Rainbow trout, 15". It broke surface, put up a good fight, but I had it. Just as the sun is finally setting. It was a great moment. We could not believe our luck. We fried up the fish, had a bit of onion and bouillon the bear did not eat and made some basic broth. One of the best meals in my life.

We got out fine the next day, though a bit hungry. Met the shuttle on time and got back to our car. Pizza and beer followed at the first opportunity.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
SoCal crew checking in. Weather report: :sun:

lmbo owned, suckers!

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Great squirrel, great photos. It's a shame he went all Sean Penn on you there at the end.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Tip posted:

That was the last picture I got before he leaped at me and tried to smack the phone out of my hand.
dude the body language
squirrel pointing to his chest: "you filming me? you want to start something bitch!? give me that phone!"

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
hey did you know this about poop?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ujTYLV2Qo4&t=188s

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

This guy’s channel is a pro click. I’ve been watching an episode or two before bed every night.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

Also I gave The Expanse another shot and it’s really got me hooked this time!

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

BigBadSteve posted:

Ignoring leap years:

32 pages in 75 days.

(1000 / 32) * 75 = 2,344

2,344 - 32 = 2,312

2,312 / 365 = 6.33 = 6 + ((33/100) * 365) = 6 + 120

So at the demonstrated rate of posting, this thread will reach 1,000 pages in 6 years and 4 months (June 2027).

Congratulations in advance to all of us who are still haunting the forums then. :henget:

(Posting from the Goldmine.)

Edit: Very nice squirrel photos, Tip.

I'll be sad as hell if I'm not still shitposting here in 6 years.

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Also I gave The Expanse another shot and it’s really got me hooked this time!

What season are you on?

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
Expanse chat: They killed Alex off and I totally missed it. I have no idea what happened, they're rescuing Naomi , I look away for a second, next thing I know Holden is being all sad. I keep forgetting to watch that part again.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

oh dope posted:

Expanse chat: They killed Alex off and I totally missed it. I have no idea what happened, they're rescuing Naomi , I look away for a second, next thing I know Holden is being all sad. I keep forgetting to watch that part again.

He stroked out from the high G burn and the juice they get pumped into them

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

It was clearly the only footage they had to play with to remove him.

Given there was only one more season they could have just the others dialog him back to reconcile with his wife on Mars instead of ruining a cool rear end rescue and having a main character just flop out.

I don't know, apparently a big non-main character died this way in the books but not the show, but it just seemed so badly canned in to me.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Internetjack posted:

Checked the digital thermometer this morning. Yup, 4.8F. Oh wait, there is a minus sign... -4.8F It has since gotten colder.

Bear/survival story from years ago...

My brother and I were backpacking in Devil's Postpile, eastern Sierra Nevada mountains. 4 days, 3 nights. We were up at timberline at the end of the second day, and the trees are all short and stunted and we were having a tough time finding a tall tree to hang our food in for the night. This was before bear cannisters. We do our best but really our two bags are barely 15' off the ground and only a couple feet from the trunk of the trees on scrawny limbs. Not a great way to hang your food up.

Dawn of the next morning my brother wakes me up, there is a bear outside our tent and sure enough, it got up the first tree, got the bag down and is just tearing into our food. Inhaling it. Cute black bear maybe 3 years old, but total jerk.

We make noise, bang pots, yell, etc. Bear is not giving a poo poo. My brother even starts to throw sticks at it. It does not give a gently caress and I remember watching it suck down a package of tortillas, plastic and all, in one breath. It pretty much had the attitude of "leave the gently caress alone you assholes, I'm trying to have some breakfast here". Finally I light a stick on fire and start waving it around. Bear freaks out and takes off. Yay!

We assess the damage and realize we have about 600 calories of food left. And two days of hiking to get back out, a good 15+ miles. We weren't going to die, but it was going to suck.

We got lucky though. Had our fishing gear and hit a creek that afternoon and got a couple little fish for lunch. We do about 8 miles that day, splitting a granola bar and such.
We camp at a high mountain lake that night. It was really beautiful. We make camp at sunset, skies are purple and orange, top of the mountains, just gorgeous. We hit the lake to fish ASAP, and in about 5 minutes I get a hit, a big one. Rainbow trout, 15". It broke surface, put up a good fight, but I had it. Just as the sun is finally setting. It was a great moment. We could not believe our luck. We fried up the fish, had a bit of onion and bouillon the bear did not eat and made some basic broth. One of the best meals in my life.

We got out fine the next day, though a bit hungry. Met the shuttle on time and got back to our car. Pizza and beer followed at the first opportunity.

Clintnod.gif

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Can't wait until all these smug assholes get their comeuppance in the last season of the expanse

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

And to think that the Leave Britney Alone person was right the whole time

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

MakaVillian posted:

I'll be sad as hell if I'm not still shitposting here in 6 years.

What season are you on?

Halfway through first

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Halfway through first

Oh man, you have great times to come. Please update us with your reactions to great moments, I love new people watching The Expanse cos it really just goes off

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Holden annoys me so much I couldn’t watch past season 2

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

yikes! posted:

Holden annoys me so much I couldn’t watch past season 2

Yeah its really the other characters that make the show.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I'm coming round to s5, but I think they should have just written out Alex in s6 with a "he's back on Mars" line because its absurdly clunky as is

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

wow this thread is already like halfway there wow.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Halfway through first

Buckle the gently caress up my friend, you're not even to the good parts

sebmojo posted:

I'm coming round to s5, but I think they should have just written out Alex in s6 with a "he's back on Mars" line because its absurdly clunky as is

I almost think it was kind of a gently caress you by the writers to Cas Anvar, given what he's been accused of

MakaVillian fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Feb 14, 2021

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Can you guess the political leaning listed on this dating profile?

Doesn't understand the concept of facts and calls other people sheep... if you guessed conservative you win! :wink:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Tip posted:

Can you guess the political leaning listed on this dating profile?

Sorry about your last minute Valentine's ambitions .

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

She doesn't want to be a sleuth, wtf?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

MakaVillian posted:

Buckle the gently caress up my friend, you're not even to the good parts

I almost think it was kind of a gently caress you by the writers to Cas Anvar, given what he's been accused of

yeah it's possible they just didn't want to do any more scenes with him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Meme Poker Party posted:

Sorry about your last minute Valentine's ambitions .

Valentine's Day is my birthday.

Holiday birthdays are all bad, but I think Valentine's is the worst. If you're single it's extra depressing, and if you're in a relationship it becomes this weird thing about whether it's Valentine's Day or my birthday.

Everyone wants to be like, "I don't even care about Valentine's day, today is all about you!", but that's a trap.