Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Digital Prophet posted:

Don't spread yourself too thin. French doors are expensive.

You can always buy the cheaper Belgian doors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice

um excuse me posted:

COVID has driven people insane here. I want to move into a nice town in CT here and motherfuckers want $80,000 for 1.2 acres. The worst part is that poo poo is selling.

Just for the land?!

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Now imaging if you will that next to the scrap wood shoe matt (damn right im going to have people kick off their shoes before entering my tiny home) a rocking chair or camping chair, and then beside that a small grill or sawn off 55-gallon barrel sitting on top of a wire spool.

corgski posted:

Perhaps you should consider pocket doors as well, think of all the space you can save when you don’t have to account for the swing of a door in your rooms.

All doors swing out of a tiny home. That's almost a regulation lol. I've thought about pocket french doors, however I quickly came to the realization that with a tiny home, typically there isnt enough wall for a pocket. For instance if the wall is 7 feet wide and a pair of French doors is 4 feet wide. You don't have enough wall to open them all the way.

Lodin posted:

Rytheric, may I ask what sort of job you have to be able to afford all this madness? Obviously be as vague as you want.

So how I afford everything is more complicated than my job, but rather how I manage my money, yet you have to have money to manage money, so I am an environmental consultant, geotechnical engineer assistant, and construction materials tester/inspector. Historically for the last 4 years Ive made between 40-70k a year with a potential of up to 90k a year depending on the projects and my willingness to be a construction materials tester (my average is 47k).

But how I afford this madness is as follows:

First, i lock away 10k a year into my 401k which is an 18% roi in most years (this is incredible and why I put up with bs where I work). This comes out of my paycheck before I can spend anything.. Then I put whatever spills over after my bills (other than $200 for spend and/or food) goes into my stock portfolio where I average a 25% roi on swing trades. I only made 30k this year thanks to covid, so 33% of my money went into my 401k this year, and I had pulled all my stocks out to buy the GroverTruk immediately prior to covid so I had no income from stocks this year (tons of missed opportunities). When something interests me I borrow from my 401k up to half of what I saved which I return at 5% interest to myself. So I make money borrowing money from myself just not as much as if I had kept the money in there. So the first facet is that I save like crazy and I borrow from myself and pay myself interest rather than a bank.

The second facet akin to the first is that I force myself to be artificially poor by locking away my money through savings. If I didn't lock away my money I'd spend $900 on average a month on fast food (this month I accidently spent $1200 in fast food because my money isn't locked while I am trying to buy this land. I am upset over this). Typically I only allow myself to have $200 a month in spending money and $200 for food the rest is locked away.

The third facet is that I live cheap as I can tolerate. When I am not living in the GroverTruk. I rent a room from my boss for $200 a month. All utilities included because all my utilities amount to $20. My cellphone plan is $50 a month. I am also a minimalist. I have 4 sets of clothes per season. When I'm not sleeping in my box truck I sleep on a queen size fuzzy blanket on the floor with an electric blanket on top of me. If I get cold I wrap myself up like a burrito. (My box truk sleep system is actually warmer)

The fourth facet is that I typically pay things annually instead of monthly. Full coverage on my GroverTruk is $600 in March. Taxes in April are $400-800. $100something for Amazon in july. Then $600 for my sail boat slip in December. I also have my yacht club fees and Mars society fees in december.

The fifth facet is that I pay taxes each year instead of having a refund. I do this by having as little as possible withheld each month so that I can make money with that money instead of it being held somewhere depreciating. So other than my bill months my cash flow is very high compared to my month expenses so I can respond rapidly to things if necessary or just stuff it into savings.

If there is an emergency or a special case like me buying land and I drop out of saving mode, i can sling roughly 1.5k every two weeks at a problem on a bad year then go back into saving mode.

The TL:DR version. I make between 30-70k a year as an environmental consultant. My expenses are between 8k-12k a year. I put 10k into my 401k each year. I give myself a $200 allowance each month and $200 a month for food then the rest goes into my stock portfolio. I didn't do too well this year due to covid as I only made 30k and put 10k into savings, but student loan postponement dropped my expenses to 8k. Rest went to taxes and food. So it was a boring year. 2021 seems it will be better though and I'm slaying it.

Kiavahr
Oct 17, 2013

Outrageous Lumpwad

corgski posted:

Perhaps you should consider pocket doors as well, think of all the space you can save when you don’t have to account for the swing of a door in your rooms.

Pocket doors save floor space but they're so awkward to actually use and I'd never trust them in an exterior wall. Plus, aren't they super finicky to install? All the carpenters I work with hate them. Seems like you need an opening in your framing twice as wide and twice as square on top of that or they get immediately wedged.

e: All the same arguments apply to sliding windows as well

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Now imaging if you will that next to the scrap wood shoe matt (damn right im going to have people kick off their shoes before entering my tiny home) a rocking chair or camping chair, and then beside that a small grill or sawn off 55-gallon barrel sitting on top of a wire spool.

Kiavahr posted:

Pocket doors save floor space but they're so awkward to actually use and I'd never trust them in an exterior wall. Plus, aren't they super finicky to install? All the carpenters I work with hate them. Seems like you need an opening in your framing twice as wide and twice as square on top of that or they get immediately wedged.

e: All the same arguments apply to sliding windows as well

So when I was designing mine prior to scrapping the idea due to space, you essentially have to frame two walls or frame one wall and have a false flimsy wall on the interior side.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
I'm just a dumb computer toucher and know nothing of architecture / construction, but wouldn't there be an insulation problem with external pocket doors too?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Code Jockey posted:

I'm just a dumb computer toucher and know nothing of architecture / construction, but wouldn't there be an insulation problem with external pocket doors too?

The fire barrel/hot tub is on the outside so the lack of insulation is a net positive.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Code Jockey posted:

I'm trying to figure out what youre asking. Are you asking if it's possible to have them sliding in a pocket outside the main framing of the house? That might be possible, but having them inside creates more deadspace in the wall which adds insulation.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Rytheric posted:

I'm trying to figure out what youre asking. Are you asking if it's possible to have them sliding in a pocket outside the main framing of the house? That might be possible, but having them inside creates more deadspace in the wall which adds insulation.

Like I said I'm pretty dumb when it comes to this stuff, I just meant like using a pocket door as an entrance like a front door on a house, having it installed into an external wall, like having that pocket inside of a wall that's external. In my head the exterior wall was like normal thickness so there wouldn't be a lot of room for the door to slide into its pocket plus have proper insulation, but I'm guessing this is accounted for somehow and I'm going to shut up now and let people who know more about this talk :sweatdrop:

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Kiavahr posted:

Plus, aren't they super finicky to install? All the carpenters I work with hate them. Seems like you need an opening in your framing twice as wide and twice as square on top of that or they get immediately wedged.

In typical stick framing you'd find in the US, they're a total pain in the rear end but if Rytheric is timber framing already it's a lot easier to design the structure to accept them. Japanese house construction (is peanut reading this thread?) is a good point of reference for pocket doors that don't suck. Old balloon framed arts and crafts are also good references, assuming they haven't settled on their foundation like mine has.

corgski fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Feb 14, 2021

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I think they are called barn doors, an i think this is the only situation they might fit (instead of in a random mcmansion)

like this one https://www.amazon.com/Barn-Complete-Knotty-Alder-Hardware/dp/B01M6WN692

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Feb 14, 2021

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Code Jockey posted:

Like I said I'm pretty dumb when it comes to this stuff, I just meant like using a pocket door as an entrance like a front door on a house, having it installed into an external wall, like having that pocket inside of a wall that's external. In my head the exterior wall was like normal thickness so there wouldn't be a lot of room for the door to slide into its pocket plus have proper insulation, but I'm guessing this is accounted for somehow and I'm going to shut up now and let people who know more about this talk :sweatdrop:

Nah nah. Speak your mind man that's how people learn. So instead of going into the external wall. They just add another wall on the interior side of the pocket. So it has the exterior wal thickness. Then the pocket then an interior wall on the other side of the pocket.

Rytheric fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Feb 14, 2021

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Space Kablooey posted:

I think they are called barn doors, an i think this is the only situation they might fit (instead of in a random mcmansion)

like this one https://www.amazon.com/Barn-Complete-Knotty-Alder-Hardware/dp/B01M6WN692

Nah. Like this. Barn doors are a different type of fancy.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/JELD-WEN-P...wE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Rytheric posted:

Nah nah. Speak your mind man that's how people learn. So instead of going into the external wall. They just add another wall on the interior side of the pocket. So it has the exterior wal thickness. Then the pocket then an interior wall on the other side of the pocket.

Ahh, gotcha. Thank you, that makes sense!

This thread is entertaining and educational!

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Rytheric posted:

So how I afford everything is more complicated than my job, but rather how I manage my money, yet you have to have money to manage money, so I am an environmental consultant, geotechnical engineer assistant, and construction materials tester/inspector. Historically for the last 4 years Ive made between 40-70k a year with a potential of up to 90k a year depending on the projects and my willingness to be a construction materials tester (my average is 47k).

But how I afford this madness is as follows...

That was even better than expected, lol. Thanks for sharing.

Bingo Bango
Jan 7, 2020

:grovertruk:

Let's see if this was money well spent

edit: :reject:

double edit: success!

Bingo Bango fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Feb 14, 2021

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

e: gdi gotta wait for it

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

e: bingo bango you are a hero

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Lodin posted:

That was even better than expected, lol. Thanks for sharing.

Friend, I am the crown holder of oversharing. Feel free to ama. Lol

Edit: :grovertruk: :grovertruk: :grovertruk:

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

I seen another box truck for cheap. Considered making another GroverTruk to have on stand by just incase.

:grovertruk: :grovertruk:

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

:grovertruk: :grovertruk: :grovertruk: :grovertruk:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Hobbies, Crafts, & Houses > GroverTruk, a Vanavan of bad ideas.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Digital Prophet posted:

I made a :grovertruk: but I already bought ads and I'm not going to buy a smilie also.

I appreciate that you took the time to put the side bumper brace thing.

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

and the front trailer hitch. its all in the details.

edit: Thank you for making my dreams a reality, Bingo Bango

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Digital Prophet posted:

Yeah I noticed the front hitch the other day. I had just noticed the bracing though lol

Bingo Bango
Jan 7, 2020

Digital Prophet posted:

It was too good not to

Kim Jaym Il
Dec 14, 2010

what? i
don't
have
fucking
ears

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
I've never heard of timber framing as a separate concept from stick framing. I looked it up and the main idea seems to be that you use larger pieces of timber?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The main reason they exist is to be a self sufficient structure so that no interior walls are load bearing. This allows you to put walls wherever you want and be able to remove them in the future without having to worry about messing with the structure of the home. They're generally faster to erect since the lumber arrives already cut and jointed. Not surprisingly, it's also more expensive to do, especially with the current nation wide lumber shortage we're in. People also build hybrids where parts of the house are stick builds like bedrooms and bathrooms, then have larger rooms like living, family, kitchen, dining, and garage timber built to have a completely restriction free open concept.

Timber frames aren't really something you can do outside a purpose built wood shop since the tenons and other dimensions are precision cut. The frame pieces also usually weigh hundreds of pounds making them difficult to maneuver.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Feb 14, 2021

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Weka posted:

I've never heard of timber framing as a separate concept from stick framing. I looked it up and the main idea seems to be that you use larger pieces of timber?

Timber framing uses joint construction; stick framing uses nails.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

So im thinking of building models of the Timbershitters and MurderHaus. There is a site that sells mini materials for model construction called https://www.minimaterials.com but the MurderHaus uses uncommon timber dimensions. Im going to ask them if they will make scaled Timbers based on the dimensions I have. But if not, would one of yall be interested in making mini Timbers for me? I will pay lol.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I mean, you're looking at custom one off, virtually handmade, timber framing. The tooling set up time and expertise to do what you want is going to be $$$. Your project is small, why don't you try to use 6x6 or 8x8 posts joined with 2x16 lvls reinforced by joist hangers for 16 foot spans? You can use existing stick framing design using existing materials but used for scaled down timber style construction.

Edit: oh I didn't see the scaled down part, I thought he was talking about the timber framing itself. Im having a hard time following the logic for this project lol.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Feb 14, 2021

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

He can get the full size timber probably, he wants to build a 1/64th or w/e size model and that's the land of balsa wood and lasercutting/cnc stuff.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Anias posted:

He can get the full size timber probably, he wants to build a 1/64th or w/e size model and that's the land of balsa wood and lasercutting/cnc stuff.

The site offers 1:12 and 1:6 scale so that's kind of what I'm looking for. I was just going to buy a 1x2 or something and just cut them out, but I have little time as I'm trying to acquire the land of MurderHaus.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Bingo Bango posted:

Let's see if this was money well spent

success!

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Oh yeah, Ry, this is responding to a much earlier post, but for the love of god don't plant crops, or anything over your septic drain field, best case scenario it doesn't work, worst case scenario it does, and it fills your drain field with roots, and then your liquids start coming out of the solids tank, with bonus poo.

You may get some benefit planting downhill from the septic, that's where my fruit Orchard is.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

um excuse me posted:

Im having a hard time following the logic for this project lol.

thread title right here

N17R4M
Aug 18, 2012

Because yes we actually DID want that land
:suspense: :grovertruk:

re:model; why not change your scale until the wood they sell fits the dimensions?

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

redleader posted:

thread title right here

My favorite part of the logic is that he wants a tiny house, so to make up for not building big enough in the 1st place is to simply build a menagerie of tiny houses

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

N17R4M posted:

:suspense: :grovertruk:

re:model; why not change your scale until the wood they sell fits the dimensions?

Because there are several dimensions I need and they only offer two dimensions.

Rytheric fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Feb 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

So potential Mrs. GroverTruk, the one that was originally cool with the idea of a tiny house, is hanging out at my boss's place (where I park my boxtruck and occasionally rent a room) because her power is out and I asked if we could house her to keep her and her dogs warm. Anyway, she introduced me to a used book store today and I accidently bought an armful of books and an electric violin. I found several books I was like waiting to afford for like a dollar, so it was really cool. Probably a place I should stay away from in the future to save my money. After visiting the bookstore and eating some artisian burgers, we went back to my boss's place and I subjected her to my unpracticed guitar playing and singing at the behest of a roommate at my boss's place, I totally botched every song I played which may mean she is the one cause I'm typically not that nervous. lol. She said I sounded like a mix between Kurt Cobain and Elvis.

Either everything went good or I need help lol.
As for the books, I got three books on sailing one of which is needed for my next sailing certification. I also got a limology book I had been holding off to afford, a geology book, a home repair book, a plumbing, and a residential wiring book. She got the first Outlander book a few more. Perhaps I should sing her a Scottish song called Donald where's your troosers.

Anyway, happy valentines day, I hope yall are celebrating love today.