Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Clap
Sep 21, 2006

currently training to kill God

Trump posted:

This game is a rollercoaster. I'm a new player, had it like a week and I've been mad as hell about my purchase too many times to count. Untill today I had only managed to extract once as PMC and only survived on customs scav runs.

That was until I did the gold watch mission on customs today. And accidentally ran into a scav boss that dropped the DT MDR and while heading for extract, got the drop on a PMC with a loving bitcoin. I extracted and now i loving love this game!

My experience was that there was a single moment. For a week I had been playing with friends but I never really understood why they thought this game was so fun, it seemed like a boring slog. And then, one raid, me and my buddy got into a huge firefight in dorms. He flanked while I held a corner and we dispatched two super geared boys and... that was it. The whole loving thing clicked.

You're gonna die and be disappointed often but man the highs are so sweet. There's a real satisfaction to learning more about the game, getting better at it and then implementing that knowledge to kill dudes and take their poo poo.

Anyway, welcome to tarkov brother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucca Blight
Jun 2, 2009

Trump posted:

This game is a rollercoaster. I'm a new player, had it like a week and I've been mad as hell about my purchase too many times to count. Untill today I had only managed to extract once as PMC and only survived on customs scav runs.

That was until I did the gold watch mission on customs today. And accidentally ran into a scav boss that dropped the DT MDR and while heading for extract, got the drop on a PMC with a loving bitcoin. I extracted and now i loving love this game!

Where did you get the PMC kill this sounds like it might have been me lol

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Lucca Blight posted:

Where did you get the PMC kill this sounds like it might have been me lol

Are you yeet_my_skeet?

Lucca Blight
Jun 2, 2009
Guess not.
Had a situation where my friend looted a btc from a rashala guard and didn't stick it in his rear end for some reason, then I took his backpack and ran before getting one tapped through brush

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

the first time you realise that the escalators on interchange have big gaps in the guardrails next to them, by falling 2 stories when you strafe into the gap because you are looking for your death across the way... its kinda funny... if you survive with two destroyed legs that you manage to hide long enough to heal

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Qmass posted:

the first time you realise that the escalators on interchange have big gaps in the guardrails next to them, by falling 2 stories when you strafe into the gap because you are looking for your death across the way... its kinda funny... if you survive with two destroyed legs that you manage to hide long enough to heal

this absolutely happened to me on a scav run and I ruefully used the morphine shot I'd found to limp my dumb rear end to the extract

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Man, the back-end server issues in the last couple of days have been awful. Couldn't even create a group yesterday

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

Pro tip for broke newbies: there are like 20 hidden stashes outside of the mall on interchange. Everybody is usually too busy fighting over loot in the mall, so they're worth learning. Just hit one side of stashes or whatever you're comfortable with, maybe get a scav kill or two and dip out.

I forget what the FIR reqs are but don't forget to meet them. I don't think I've ever had an issue cause I'm so fat on loot.

I usually do a bunch of these runs at the end of a night when my group goes to bed cause I'm poor after dying all day.

aWall
Jan 28, 2003

Football Jesus

Eat The Rich posted:

Pro tip for broke newbies: there are like 20 hidden stashes outside of the mall on interchange. Everybody is usually too busy fighting over loot in the mall, so they're worth learning. Just hit one side of stashes or whatever you're comfortable with, maybe get a scav kill or two and dip out.

I forget what the FIR reqs are but don't forget to meet them. I don't think I've ever had an issue cause I'm so fat on loot.

I usually do a bunch of these runs at the end of a night when my group goes to bed cause I'm poor after dying all day.

This 100%. Been a real source of stable low(er) stress cashflow/quest items. Also can be really lucrative on scav runs too if they have been ignored. Finally got my last drat croutons last night on a run.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

They reduced the run-through requirements recently, it's something like 200xp or 7 minutes in raid now to avoid the penalty. It's good, but it's also kinda weird, because you get 300 just for extracting, but I don't think that counts? Cuz if it did it'd be impossible to get a run-through.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

They reduced the run-through requirements recently, it's something like 200xp or 7 minutes in raid now to avoid the penalty. It's good, but it's also kinda weird, because you get 300 just for extracting, but I don't think that counts? Cuz if it did it'd be impossible to get a run-through.

I was given a run through recently for killing a pmc, and extracting out the flashing red lights factory exit. I think you need just over 200, because a pmc's awards you 200 flat. Or buggy game. IDK. I was mad because it ended a 5 survive streak.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

you only get the 300 extract xp if it isnt a run through

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

the sound recordings used for this game are fantastic generally... but its really funny that broken tree branches use the same sound as wooden floors and not the most emotive noise in every movie forest sneaking scene, the "dead give away snapping stick noise"

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

Qmass posted:

the sound recordings used for this game are fantastic generally... but its really funny that broken tree branches use the same sound as wooden floors and not the most emotive noise in every movie forest sneaking scene, the "dead give away snapping stick noise"

Yeah, like the tree roots or knocked down trunks have a hollow basement underneath them and not ground. I think about that way too much too. And then I play insurgency the storm, and it sounds like you're walking through springy grass even on the inside on concrete. And then I play R6 where everything sounds right and has good echo locations. In short life is about contrasts.

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

Following up on prior conversation about the game clicking, I've been playing on and off for a few wipes but never really broke level 20. I just had a streak of seven successful raids, including multiple quest completions, two merked alpha Chad's whose poo poo's all mine now, and a poo poo ton of dead scavs.

Nothing like those highs man, nothing like those highs.

Finally got ganked by a two man in the north east village of woods, my fault, spent way too long skirmishing with four scavs in there and got jumped on...

E: oh, also multiple successful factory runs on my scav, didn't extract every single one but had quite a few really fun fire fights with both AI scavs and player scavs.

DrHammond fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Feb 12, 2021

CaptainEO
Sep 24, 2007

Found Something Great Here
It’s funny how walking over the roots of a tree makes the same sound as walking on wooden floorboards. I guess they are both technically “wood” but :shrug:

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

Eat The Rich posted:

if you hit up every stash on the route going through scav camp from emercom to/from railyway you'll get enough XP from searching and looting to avoid a run through, even if you don't end up finding scavs to kill at the camp

- signed, a mega rat

The Clap
Sep 21, 2006

currently training to kill God
My go-to loot runs lately have been throwing on an Alpha rig, looting OLI and taking the backpackless extract on interchange. 12 minutes max, sometimes over 400k+ profit.

The main thing is Water Filters - they sell for over 100k a pop right now and there’s tons of places they can spawn inside OLI. Motors, Tubes, Propane and all those tool-related things will get you plenty of cash too.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

The Clap posted:

My go-to loot runs lately have been throwing on an Alpha rig, looting OLI and taking the backpackless extract on interchange. 12 minutes max, sometimes over 400k+ profit.

The main thing is Water Filters - they sell for over 100k a pop right now and there’s tons of places they can spawn inside OLI. Motors, Tubes, Propane and all those tool-related things will get you plenty of cash too.

I did a scav run on Interchange with a buddy and we found 6 water filters in the back of OLI, then i got killed with 1 second left to extract.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Qmass posted:

they will never ever get rid of the adar sound sample having a click at the end and i have no idea why when it would take 2 seconds at most lol

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
My weird sound issue other than the ADAR clock is that some guns have great echoes from their shots and some (this is especially noticeable on full auto guns) don’t. So you hear an m700 with a really nice echo from the loud crack, and then an AK full auto burst that just stops dead because the sound file is JUST the gunshot.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Dr. Clockwork posted:

My weird sound issue other than the ADAR clock is that some guns have great echoes from their shots and some (this is especially noticeable on full auto guns) don’t. So you hear an m700 with a really nice echo from the loud crack, and then an AK full auto burst that just stops dead because the sound file is JUST the gunshot.

Guess it's because they use a dynamic sound engine and they haven't come around to scripting the AK sounds and forgot to cut out up the ADAR sound clip. For a beta of this scope it's really loving solid engine wise. It runs great on my old(ish) setup while also looking and sounding better than most games.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

its unity so BSG must be gods? (unity memes)

I love how russian or ukraine devs seem to do man made structures in games. Going back to stalker they put so much detail into everything but its funny how all their human models have this weird lovely stiffness. Metro was the same and now EFT is kinda the same.

and even though human models are a lot better in EFT they still remind me of stalker and metro - but all the buildings and debris and loot and guns and textures and even sound are amazingly detailed

Qmass fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Feb 13, 2021

Nutsak
Jul 21, 2005
All balls.

Qmass posted:

sound are amazingly detailed

A dev video showed up in my YouTube where they're recording sounds and it's literally them holding a mic up to an AK while they fired it.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I also jumped into this just recently with a couple friends, it's really fun (if slightly overwhelming) so far. One big questions that popped up for us so far: If you're playing Scav, is there a quick way to distinguish (NPC) scavs from PMCs? Or is there even a point, for that matter? So far we've been trying to avoid starting beef with NPC scavs, but it seems more and more like the safer thing to do is to just kill on sight if you've got a good shot.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

Perestroika posted:

I also jumped into this just recently with a couple friends, it's really fun (if slightly overwhelming) so far. One big questions that popped up for us so far: If you're playing Scav, is there a quick way to distinguish (NPC) scavs from PMCs? Or is there even a point, for that matter? So far we've been trying to avoid starting beef with NPC scavs, but it seems more and more like the safer thing to do is to just kill on sight if you've got a good shot.

I hate to say it because it's such a non-answer but it all comes with experience. They've done a lot to make scavs more random and humanlike but they all move and run in certain ways. The best way to tell is to watch for a little while, scavs will usually do something like sprint off in a random direction and then stand still in the open looking around. The only way to know 100% is to throw a grenade and see if they voice line, really

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Perestroika posted:

Their outfits are usually the biggest giveaways, especially their guns. Scavs usually won't have nice helmets, and they generally look more "patchwork" than a PMC will, although being able to quickly ID this is obviously something that is hard to teach without just running into them a lot. If you mean between AI scavs and player scavs, then it's a lot harder.

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

Perestroika posted:

There's so much scav on scav violence in this game this wipe that you're better off just killing or hiding from everything you see.

Otherwise NPC scavs will run around, stand in the open, and randomly voice line.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

sinburger posted:

There's so much scav on scav violence in this game this wipe that you're better off just killing or hiding from everything you see.

Otherwise NPC scavs will run around, stand in the open, and randomly voice line.

note that random voice lines may not mean the scav is an NPC, as players can use them as well

while its rare for them to do so, absent other evidence you should consider the possibility that they’re trying to bait you/lull you into a false sense of security (especially if you don’t have line of sight)

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

sinburger posted:

NPC scavs will also seek cover and peek corners. It’s kind of eerie when they do

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

My scav case brought me a green keycard and, having never really learned labs at all, I’m tempted now to try to do so. Should I just go in fully geared and assume I’m going to repeatedly die? Obviously I’ll go in on offline mode to try to learn the map, but I’m more unsure as to how to actually approach it for real.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Qmass posted:

I love how russian or ukraine devs seem to do man made structures in games. Going back to stalker they put so much detail into everything but its funny how all their human models have this weird lovely stiffness. Metro was the same and now EFT is kinda the same.

Guess it's a good point that it comes down to superb art direction.

I've spent most of my bitcoin gains without having achieved anything of note. Back to being an angry scrub in this lovely game!

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

When do you guys think would be a good time to buy the scav case? I have 6 GPUs right now. My plan was to upgrade to 10 first but then I don't know if bitcoin 2 or scav case is more useful

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Malefitz posted:

When do you guys think would be a good time to buy the scav case? I have 6 GPUs right now. My plan was to upgrade to 10 first but then I don't know if bitcoin 2 or scav case is more useful

How much do you like gambling?

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
One of my favorite ways to solo scav is to roleplay as an npc for the first few minutes of a raid, down to randomly voice-lining, mmb looking at player scavs as I run by them while waving-- and then turning to shoot them in the back of the head as soon as they write me off

I'm a bad human bean

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Malefitz posted:

The scav case is stupid expensive right now and I'm ignoring it until I have a full L2 Bitcoin farm, personally.

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

Neon Belly posted:

How much do you like gambling?

Only if I have enough disposable income.

Inspector_666 posted:

The scav case is stupid expensive right now and I'm ignoring it until I have a full L2 Bitcoin farm, personally.

Yeah I just looked it up myself. Over 4 mil, I'll invest in GPUs for now.

Is the scav case a guaranteed net income source, let's say over a week of gambling? Or is it more something that will most often be a money sink until you maybe land a jackpot once or twice per wipe?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Malefitz posted:

Is the scav case a guaranteed net income source, let's say over a week of gambling? Or is it more something that will most often be a money sink until you maybe land a jackpot once or twice per wipe?

The loot tables seem really opaque. You'll usually turn a profit on the 7k runs, but the profit is proportional in that your profit is a few thousand roubles. I think it's most useful if you're willing and able to throw moonshine/intel at it and just eat the losses in hopes of getting the FIR quest crap you need/hitting on a labs keycard every now and then.

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

Can someone explain what the deal is vendor fuel supplies? Specifically Jaeger.

Up until two or three days ago I never had issues buying a can of fuel from him, now he's constantly sold out.

I'm assuming that they implemented a finite amount of of fuel shared across all players because bitcoins hit some arbitrary price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

sinburger posted:

Can someone explain what the deal is vendor fuel supplies? Specifically Jaeger.

Up until two or three days ago I never had issues buying a can of fuel from him, now he's constantly sold out.

I'm assuming that they implemented a finite amount of of fuel shared across all players because bitcoins hit some arbitrary price.

Fuel is at a premium. They nerfed fuel spawns across the whole game. Go check out what a metal fuel can costs on the flea, it's like 5-6 times what it is from Jaeger. With how expensive bitcoins are right now (over 650k as of this morning), there is a ridiculously high demand for fuel and a very low supply.

Basically, you're not going to get fuel from Jaeger unless you're sitting there when his stock turns over. He'll sell out in less than a minute.