Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Blue Moonlight posted:

Did your small town in Oregon use to have a porcupine race during the fair like my small town in Oregon had? :tinfoil:

I... can't recall? Specifically I'm talking about McMinnville's Turkey-rama, I don't remember a porcupine race but man does that sound like classic small town Oregon :allears:

e. it really sucks to me that those Malheur militia idiots and more recently Trump nazis have given Oregon such a bad name. To me, Oregon will always be a vast land full of Red Green type dudes selling homemade wood art and living in the forests in either decaying mobile homes or bizarrely constructed shacks, a land of small diners where perhaps you're rolling the dice on getting food poisoning but it's absolutely worth the risk, a land where it's absolutely dead silent at night except the occasional pack of coyotes awoo'ing at the moon. Small towns that weren't just insular, dying holes full of racists, but just places where people just lived quiet lives, working at the local grocery or the library or the school, and had funny, dorky stuff in their small front yards. Maybe that's just me remembering my childhood with the ignorance and innocence that that implies, but I still miss it so much.

Code Jockey fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Feb 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
Ah, mine was Baker City and Miner’s Jubilee!

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUX9kr4D1Xg

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Radio Nowhere posted:

Some of these on Maryland’s eastern shore. Pretty sure if you pulled up and asked for the latest hype IPA you’d get called a slur.

I stopped at one of these figuring they had to have Dogfish Head, at least the 60 minute IPA. Maybe Evo. Nope. Bud, Coors, Miller, Natty Ice. And Corona for special occasions.

Same thing with the liquor stores. Just 100% bottom shelf.

20 minutes across the Delaware border, "World of 1,000 Beers" and "World of 1,001 Beers" are duking it out for market share.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Wow! America!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Tartan Target posted:

So I was idly using Google Maps to explore some random US town, and there's a box outside this building that says;

"DEPOSIT USED & WORN FLAGS ONLY"

What the hell does this mean? Do people carry flags around with them all the time that need to be disposed of? How normal is this?

It's Dril's house.

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

Code Jockey posted:

To me, Oregon will always be a vast land full of Red Green type dudes selling homemade wood art and living in the forests in either decaying mobile homes or bizarrely constructed shacks, a land of small diners where perhaps you're rolling the dice on getting food poisoning but it's absolutely worth the risk, a land where it's absolutely dead silent at night except the occasional pack of coyotes awoo'ing at the moon. Small towns that weren't just insular, dying holes full of racists, but just places where people just lived quiet lives, working at the local grocery or the library or the school, and had funny, dorky stuff in their small front yards. Maybe that's just me remembering my childhood with the ignorance and innocence that that implies, but I still miss it so much.

This sounds like generic rural America.

McMinnville is alright though. I considered moving there for a hot minute to escape Portland’s cost of living since it’s so centrally located to all the destinations in the Willamette Valley.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
One time my friends and I were skipping school and went to McMinnville to pick up some other truants and I was wandering around the highschool parking lot, i found a sock with something in it and kicked it and turned out to have a (now broken) crack pipe inside. Then we all drove up to that swamp on the way to Carlton to drink and smoked weed out of a crushed pepsi can until we were too dumb to crawl back up the hill to the parking lot.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).
Anyone else ever make it to Adel, Oregon?

It's at the end of a 100-mile dirt road through the northeastern tip of California, northwestern tip of Nevada, and the bottom of central Oregon. All high plains desert. It is beautiful, and I'm glad my car didn't break down, because I would have certainly died out there if it did.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Tartan Target posted:

So I was idly using Google Maps to explore some random US town, and there's a box outside this building that says;

"DEPOSIT USED & WORN FLAGS ONLY"

What the hell does this mean? Do people carry flags around with them all the time that need to be disposed of? How normal is this?

Trump supporters and republicans.

Unsurprisingly they break almost every flag code that we have.

4 U.S. Code § 8.Respect for flag

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Gutter Phoenix posted:

Anyone else ever make it to Adel, Oregon?

It's at the end of a 100-mile dirt road through the northeastern tip of California, northwestern tip of Nevada, and the bottom of central Oregon. All high plains desert. It is beautiful, and I'm glad my car didn't break down, because I would have certainly died out there if it did.

I adore all of Oregon's ghost and semi-ghost towns of 8-50 weirdos in the middle of nowhere, and most of the land east of the cascades is gorgeous

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Code Jockey posted:

I... can't recall? Specifically I'm talking about McMinnville's Turkey-rama, I don't remember a porcupine race but man does that sound like classic small town Oregon :allears:

e. it really sucks to me that those Malheur militia idiots and more recently Trump nazis have given Oregon such a bad name. To me, Oregon will always be a vast land full of Red Green type dudes selling homemade wood art and living in the forests in either decaying mobile homes or bizarrely constructed shacks, a land of small diners where perhaps you're rolling the dice on getting food poisoning but it's absolutely worth the risk, a land where it's absolutely dead silent at night except the occasional pack of coyotes awoo'ing at the moon. Small towns that weren't just insular, dying holes full of racists, but just places where people just lived quiet lives, working at the local grocery or the library or the school, and had funny, dorky stuff in their small front yards. Maybe that's just me remembering my childhood with the ignorance and innocence that that implies, but I still miss it so much.

It’s the same with most of rural America. It’s gotten a bad name and everyone thinks it’s just wall to wall MAGA CHUDs and militias. But it really does have its charms, and most of the people you meet are really cool. If I wasn’t forever tied to the DC area because of my career, I would happily move out to some small town near the mountains in a state like Wyoming.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

AKZ posted:

Americana tax

Is this a Ripley's Believe It Or Not museum? I know they all have wacky facades like that. I went to the Orlando one when I was a kid and it was really fun.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Just throw the flag in the trash, who gives a gently caress.

SKY CLOTH NEEDS TO BE SENT TO JESUS AND THE FOUNDING FATHERS IT CONTAINS FREEDOM AND THE BLOOD OF ARE FALLEN TROOPS.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
The ripley's in orlando is tilted

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

I prefer the subtle insanity of BEST.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Code Jockey posted:

I mean, I don't want to poo poo on your nostalgia, but Oregon was basically founded as a whites only state. Which I guess makes them different from the rest of the country only in that they actually wrote it down, the nineteenth century equivalent of saying the quiet part out loud.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Tip posted:

Awesome pictures. Would you care to repost them in the buildings thread in pyf

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Oregon is an absolutely gorgeous place full of some of the most racist people in the world.

Portland and Eugene and mostly okay but anywhere else is a mess.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Aardvark! posted:

The ripley's in orlando is tilted

I remember, but there are some that are upside down and poo poo.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

CPL593H posted:

I remember, but there are some that are upside down and poo poo.

sorry read your post wrong

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Benny Harvey posted:

If it's damaged it's supposed to be burned. I poo poo you not.

Yep!

When I was in Boy Scouts our Scoutmaster was like a macho Ned Flanders. He did EVERYthing by the book no matter what. We were at some camping event and had a "Flag Burning Ceremony" at night for some torn US flag that I don't remember where it came from. They made a bonfire, then unfolded the flag and draped it over the fire. As it burned, we were asked to salute while the Scoutmaster sang Taps acapella.

Did you know Taps has a second verse?

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Benny Harvey posted:

If it's damaged it's supposed to be burned. I poo poo you not.

Though tbh, it makes sense to me in a way. Quick death Vs rotting around in rubbish.

All that flag code poo poo probably made more sense back when flags were handmade linen and not some cheap polyester garbage.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

It was probably thought up by a flag tycoon looking for ways to boost revenues and get people to buy new flags.

"Oh your flag is torn? Well it would be unpatriotic to keep flying it in that condition!"

"Your flag touched the ground, if you don't burn it and buy a new one you hate America!"

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

Bonzo posted:

Yep!

When I was in Boy Scouts our Scoutmaster was like a macho Ned Flanders. He did EVERYthing by the book no matter what. We were at some camping event and had a "Flag Burning Ceremony" at night for some torn US flag that I don't remember where it came from. They made a bonfire, then unfolded the flag and draped it over the fire. As it burned, we were asked to salute while the Scoutmaster sang Taps acapella.

Did you know Taps has a second verse?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I never understood why burning a flag as an act of protest or whatever is bad but then they also "retire" a flag by burning it. Either you can burn the loving thing or not.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Living in a small town just makes you weird. I grew up in a town of 0.6sq/mi and decided I was never leaving, to the point that when I finally moved out of my parents house it was just right across the train tracks. McMinnville was a city to me, and to go to Salem for the mall once every couple months was a big deal that the family did together. Turkey-rama and the Carlton Fun Days were like, the heights of my year.

Now that I've lived in portland for a few years I look back at that behavior like what the gently caress was up with that. Small town people arent inherently weird, hateful, or inbred you just become weird by living in that kind of environment, and can be healed by leaving at an early enough age. I wish colleges had some special fund for people from towns of under 1sq/mi, might help bring a little more worldliness into them

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I’d make eye contact with him and fart. I did it all the time for like two years. I didn’t even know his full name, just heard that his coworkers thought he was a nut for complaining about “the guy who would fart on me in the break room”

Bismuth posted:

Living in a small town just makes you weird. I grew up in a town of 0.6sq/mi and decided I was never leaving, to the point that when I finally moved out of my parents house it was just right across the train tracks. McMinnville was a city to me, and to go to Salem for the mall once every couple months was a big deal that the family did together. Turkey-rama and the Carlton Fun Days were like, the heights of my year.

Now that I've lived in portland for a few years I look back at that behavior like what the gently caress was up with that. Small town people arent inherently weird, hateful, or inbred you just become weird by living in that kind of environment, and can be healed by leaving at an early enough age. I wish colleges had some special fund for people from towns of under 1sq/mi, might help bring a little more worldliness into them

I have five (!) brothers and one sister who all still live in the vicinity of the town we grew up in, none of them show any interest in leaving whatsoever.

One of them was all hopped up last year on talking about a concert they drove three hours to in Philadelphia and how cool it was. I told him to imagine walking out his office door and being able to go to that concert, then getting on a train afterwards and being home twenty minutes later, and he still doesn't get it.

I threw all my poo poo in my car when I was 19 and moved and i was the best thing I could have done for myself.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
need to evacuate the rurals and put them in some drat 50 story soulless concrete apartments

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I’d make eye contact with him and fart. I did it all the time for like two years. I didn’t even know his full name, just heard that his coworkers thought he was a nut for complaining about “the guy who would fart on me in the break room”

bob dobbs is dead posted:

50 story soulless concrete apartments

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Tip posted:

I'm the kind of person who reads newspapers from the last 70 years for fun every day and I've never seen or heard of this company. These are some of the most brilliant storefronts I've ever seen, super loving cool. Where did you get these images from?

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Aardvark! posted:

This is actually one of my favorite Americana things!

Almost every town in the American Heartland has a small ice-cream/fast food place called something like The Dairy Barn or Purple Cow.

Hell, I can actually post an image of a Purple Cow I've eaten at:

Pulling way back from page 8 but I was going through the thread and this is from my town! Whatup Aardvark?

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Tarkus posted:

I'm the kind of person who reads newspapers from the last 70 years for fun every day and I've never seen or heard of this company. These are some of the most brilliant storefronts I've ever seen, super loving cool. Where did you get these images from?

I had never heard of them myself or seen any of their stores and when I learned about them it felt like I'd stumbled onto something from an alternate universe. There were 169 (:nice:) stores across 23 states and they didn't go out of business until 1997 so it seems like something that would be more known.

I got the pictures from the architecture firm that did all of their buildings, the very cool SITE (Sculpture in the Environment):
https://siteenvirodesign.com/content/best-products

There are some pictures in there that I didn't include, and you can find even more if you Google around. It was a very interesting company, worth reading up on.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Those BEST buildings are actually fairly well-known to architecture history. We're talking 'you may be taught about them at universities in European countries' kinda well-known.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Palpek posted:

Those BEST buildings are actually fairly well-known to architecture history. We're talking 'you may be taught about them at universities in European countries' kinda well-known.

Yeah, one of the buildings I posted supposedly appears in more 20th century architecture books than any other modern buildings.

It's part of why it felt so odd to learn about it, it feels like it should be common knowledge but I somehow missed any and all references to it for a long long time.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

CPL593H posted:

I never understood why burning a flag as an act of protest or whatever is bad but then they also "retire" a flag by burning it. Either you can burn the loving thing or not.

Not defending flag worship weirdness here but surely you are aware of the concept of context?

There are many, many actions that are extremely bad and wrong in some circumstances that are good and virtuous in others from crossing the street to killing another human being

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

CPL593H posted:

Is this a Ripley's Believe It Or Not museum? I know they all have wacky facades like that. I went to the Orlando one when I was a kid and it was really fun.

I don't think so, but maybe? I was in Panama City Beach FL a while back and saw it.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

CPL593H posted:

It appears to be a children's museum with various activities involving space, art, etc. and also has laser tag. Looks like a fun place to take kids for a day

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Oh poo poo speaking of Ripley's the Wisconsin Dells is peak weird Americana. My neighbor calls it Sconnie Vegas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Seeing the beST logo / sign brings back a lot of memories. We went to that store a lot (Central VA, they were based out of Richmond) when I was a kid, as they had everything. Huge toy selection, watches, cameras, etc. I spent a lot of time there looking at and buying Transformers.