Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
what site do people play on in 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainEO
Sep 24, 2007

Found Something Great Here
For random 19x19 PvP games, PandaNet and OGS are decent. Fox and Tygem have more players, but setting them up can be a pain due to language/account issues.

For mobile, BadukPop is growing fast (I’m biased though - I am the lead developer :) ). We don’t have automatic 19x19 match-making yet, but you can use automatch for 9x9, and invite the opponent to set up a correspondence 19x19 game if you want to play big-board.

CaptainEO fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Nov 12, 2020

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
I think OGS is the best for western players--HTML5 and does correspondence and realtime equally well. I hear it's not good if you're too strong (not enough strong players, who are all on East Asian servers) but if you're starting out that's not an issue.

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, señor!
KGS is not relevant anymore?

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

KGS is not as active as it used to be but you can still get games there...as long as you don't have [?] by your rank. I recently came back to KGS since I joined a new club that meets on Zoom and uses KGS, I've been trying to get a rank but at 8[?] I'm getting turned down for games outside of Bots. We only play free games in club so even though I beat a 3kyu with 3 stone handicap I'm still 8[?].

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Doing some Tsumego then getting to use something you learnt to win a goquest match is incredibly satisfying

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Has anybody got any tips or experience with teaching go to young children?

I've started trying to teach my 4 year old first capture Go on a 5x5 grid by telling her we're trying to stop the pieces from being able to escape so we can grab them! It seems to be working out pretty well so far, at least for keeping her attention for short periods before we start making patterns and pictures with the stones.

Update on this: we're playing maybe once or twice a week, about 5 games in each session before we start making pretty patterns. I usually have to bribe her with a sticker but she's keen enough.

She's started to learn a few things (like that starting in the corner is bad) and can sometimes recognise if she can win on the next turn (does a lot better with prompting about wins / losses). Going to move up to a 7x7 board and see how we go.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Update on this: we're playing maybe once or twice a week, about 5 games in each session before we start making pretty patterns. I usually have to bribe her with a sticker but she's keen enough.

She's started to learn a few things (like that starting in the corner is bad) and can sometimes recognise if she can win on the next turn (does a lot better with prompting about wins / losses). Going to move up to a 7x7 board and see how we go.
Time lapse to ten years later. Ms. Spaceman is the 14 year old prodigy and world champion of Go.

CaptainEO
Sep 24, 2007

pointsofdata posted:

Doing some Tsumego then getting to use something you learnt to win a goquest match is incredibly satisfying

The first time I found and used a tombstone tesuji in a real game = :smuggo:

Although my favorite was when I attempted to apply a new joseki I had just learned, then realized I had mis-remembered and played out the entire thing one line shifted toward the edge of the board, with disastrous results :shobon:

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Just had a very DDK moment: I passed, my opponent passed, I lost by 2.5 points. Then the OGS game analyzer suggested I should have been 30 points ahead, and after looking more closely at its suggested moves I realized that I could have taken half of one of his big groups.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
Re: playing with kids
I showed my 4 yr old a 9x9 and just play capture stone go and she was into it. Then I made it a puzzle by just doing simple problems. Just super basic stuff

The most important thing is she wins every time.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

sonatinas posted:

Re: playing with kids
I showed my 4 yr old a 9x9 and just play capture stone go and she was into it. Then I made it a puzzle by just doing simple problems. Just super basic stuff

The most important thing is she wins every time.

Very same. I'm just glad I finally have an opponent of my skill level.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Moved up to 7x7 first capture with Space Cadet. Was clearly a step up for her and I had to try much harder to lose.

She's still enjoying it though.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

posting ITT because I have been playing and now carry the title of 3dang

I credit the computer with all my victories, learning with AI assistance feel like cheating

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

It finally took you over 10 years to get better than kgs 1k

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Under 15 posted:

posting ITT because I have been playing and now carry the title of 3dang

I credit the computer with all my victories, learning with AI assistance feel like cheating

thats really good, congrats

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
Fuseki is fashion now, I guess:

source

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
Color Go Server opens in less than a week, and has some training wheels sort of features like showing influence and liberty counts.

Old/main trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CW29U6RqcVc

And a new release trailer for people who don't already play Go:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnA-Plkhxn4

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

dirby posted:

Color Go Server opens in less than a week, and has some training wheels sort of features like showing influence and liberty counts.

Old/main trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CW29U6RqcVc

And a new release trailer for people who don't already play Go:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnA-Plkhxn4
poo poo, now all we need is for it to be released by PopCap with some twee music and theming and it'll sell eighty billion copies.

I wish PopCap would release Go with some twee music and theming and sell eighty billion copies, it's way too hard getting people into the game. :negative:

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jan 20, 2021

CaptainEO
Sep 24, 2007

I’m doing my part! See https://badukpop.com for my app (self-promo alert) - now with more newbie-friendly tutorials. Last month it hit #5 on the board games chart in Taiwan (among all board games, not just Go).

My hope is that one day you can just put this on someone’s phone and it’ll teach them everything they need to start playing. Not quite there yet, but I think the latest version is good enough at least to get a new player to the point where they can learn more from YouTube, like Michael Redmond’s excellent new beginner series, and eventually Nick Sibicky’s DDK/SDK videos.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

PMush Perfect posted:

poo poo, now all we need is for it to be released by PopCap with some twee music and theming and it'll sell eighty billion copies.
Now that it's up, it does have twee music and some light medieval-ish theming. But it doesn't quite look like the next Hearthstone or something. There only seemed to be about ~60 people playing right now, but I imagine it'll grow a bit before it dies.

dirby fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jan 24, 2021

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

CaptainEO posted:

For mobile, BadukPop is growing fast (I’m biased though - I am the lead developer :) ). We don’t have automatic 19x19 match-making yet, but you can use automatch for 9x9, and invite the opponent to set up a correspondence 19x19 game if you want to play big-board.

Not compatible with my G5. :argh::mods:

CaptainEO
Sep 24, 2007

Aw, shoot, sorry. Does it not install at all? Or installs and then renders the Go board as all back or something?

We spend literally >50% of our dev time dealing with compatibility issues on various Android devices, so it’s not too unusual, especially for older devices.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

CaptainEO posted:

Aw, shoot, sorry. Does it not install at all? Or installs and then renders the Go board as all back or something?

We spend literally >50% of our dev time dealing with compatibility issues on various Android devices, so it’s not too unusual, especially for older devices.

I'm just taking the Play store's word for it.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

CaptainEO posted:

If you don't mind the question - how much of random board game market is android vs ios these days?

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

CaptainEO posted:

I’m doing my part! See https://badukpop.com for my app (self-promo alert) - now with more newbie-friendly tutorials. Last month it hit #5 on the board games chart in Taiwan (among all board games, not just Go).

My hope is that one day you can just put this on someone’s phone and it’ll teach them everything they need to start playing. Not quite there yet, but I think the latest version is good enough at least to get a new player to the point where they can learn more from YouTube, like Michael Redmond’s excellent new beginner series, and eventually Nick Sibicky’s DDK/SDK videos.

Is the price (and/or version differences) available?

CaptainEO
Sep 24, 2007

PerniciousKnid posted:

I'm just taking the Play store's word for it.

Hmm ok, if the Play store lets you install it, please give it a try, we’ve made a lot of Android compatibility fixes over the last couple of months. Admittedly, it still doesn’t run so well on phones that are more than ~5 years old.

quote:

If you don't mind the question - how much of random board game market is android vs ios these days?
It’s pretty evenly split actually. Our user base is a bit heavier on Android in East Asia since Apple has less presence there. iOS users are smaller in number but tend to stick around more, probably because the game is really well optimized on iOS and tends to have fewer little glitches.

quote:

Is the price (and/or version differences) available?
The app is free to download and has no ads. PvP play is totally unlimited. There is an optional subscription that unlocks a few extra things for tsumego and AI practice; it works almost exactly like Chess.com’s app (we are a bit less expensive than Chess.com). The free version limits you to 15+ tsumego per day (minimum; you get more if you’re good) and 1 AI game per hour (the AIs run on the cloud and we have to pay for that :) ).

CaptainEO fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jan 27, 2021

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

CaptainEO posted:

Hmm ok, if the Play store lets you install it, please give it a try, we’ve made a lot of Android compatibility fixes over the last couple of months. Admittedly, it still doesn’t run so well on phones that are more than ~5 years old.

It’s pretty evenly split actually. Our user base is a bit heavier on Android in East Asia since Apple has less presence there. iOS users are smaller in number but tend to stick around more, probably because the game is really well optimized on iOS and tends to have fewer little glitches.

The app is free to download and has no ads. PvP play is totally unlimited. There is an optional subscription that unlocks a few extra things for tsumego and AI practice; it works almost exactly like Chess.com’s app (we are a bit less expensive than Chess.com). The free version limits you to 15+ tsumego per day (minimum; you get more if you’re good) and 1 AI game per hour (the AIs run on the cloud and we have to pay for that :) ).

How many tsumego are there?

CaptainEO
Sep 24, 2007

The Tsumego database has about 4,100 now, split about evenly across all the levels.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Has anybody got any tips or experience with teaching go to young children?

I've started trying to teach my 4 year old first capture Go on a 5x5 grid by telling her we're trying to stop the pieces from being able to escape so we can grab them! It seems to be working out pretty well so far, at least for keeping her attention for short periods before we start making patterns and pictures with the stones.

Update: We just tried moving up from first capture on a 7x7 to something approximating a proper game on a 5x5 grid. Went well enough that we'll keep trying it.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
My kid always wants to play Uno instead. :argh:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Still working on explaining capturing territory being good and that filling in everything you surround isn't essential.

PerniciousKnid posted:

My kid always wants to play Uno instead. :argh:

She never asks to play it but often says yes if I suggest it.

More often if bribery is involved.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
I still haven't figured out an effective way to get my partner to play Go with me again since I accidentally beat her pretty bad the one time lol. :negative:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Mederlock posted:

I still haven't figured out an effective way to get my partner to play Go with me again since I accidentally beat her pretty bad the one time lol. :negative:

Whenever I played games against my ex that I had a significant skill advantage in, I usually handicapped myself in some fashion. We never played Go, but I gave myself a 5 second move timer for chess.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

jivjov posted:

Whenever I played games against my ex that I had a significant skill advantage in, I usually handicapped myself in some fashion. We never played Go, but I gave myself a 5 second move timer for chess.

I *was* heavily handicapped 😅

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Mederlock posted:

I *was* heavily handicapped 😅

With super beginners you have to pull punches or you're just gobbling up all their handicap stones and they feel like poo poo.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

PerniciousKnid posted:

With super beginners you have to pull punches or you're just gobbling up all their handicap stones and they feel like poo poo.

I've been trying to get a few friends into playing and pretty much have been doing handicap games with 4 stones + not actually killing groups that are weak and giving them a chance to go back and make life in the endgame instead of just getting killed for tenuki'ing one move earlier.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

PerniciousKnid posted:

With super beginners it's W+367.5

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

AdorableStar posted:

With super beginners it's W+367.5

It would probably be more fun to aim for a 1pt victory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Play on a 5x5 vs super beginners and let them play black.

Seriously.

Scale up once you can't win anymore.