Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I read that that scene’s from a fantasy sequence (although Archie really did fight in a war)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Sentinel Red posted:

Totally. Lance and Dan are the Fury and Cap of my heart. The moment the penny drops is just wonderful.

Reddick's performance in The Guest is interesting, he's so intensely robotic in his action scenes. Like this tiny corner peek.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hf3K3xkAHQ&t=179s

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Do not watch that clip if you've never seen The Guest bc it spoils basically the entire movie.

And if you have not seen The Guest, what is wrong with you, go watch it right now

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I was really disappointed by the History of Swearwords. It's 0,1% historians saying "this is when the swearword was first used" and the rest is comedians talking about how much they enjoy using the swearword.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Sirotan posted:

Do not watch that clip if you've never seen The Guest bc it spoils basically the entire movie.

And if you have not seen The Guest, what is wrong with you, go watch it right now

The Guest is truly a hidden gem.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MiddleOne posted:

The Guest is truly a hidden gem.

I've probably watched it 20 times.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Rhyno posted:

I've probably watched it 20 times.

I was gonna watch it yesterday but couldn't find what moving box it got packed into. Guess I'm going spelunking later.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Vincent posted:

This is from waaaaay back, but why is Archie fighting in World War II? I saw Riverdale up to season 3 or 4 and they were in modern times. Also, they're making Betty into Clarice Sterling (which, y'know what? sure, it might work).

Weirdly enough, the best on-screen adaptation/ripoff of Archie is far and away The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis. The first season is just straight-up Archie, but the second season sent Dobie and the Jughead equivalent (who was ripped off by Scooby-Doo to make Shaggy) off to the army. Strange parallel.

But yeah the Betty/Clarice give is weird but great.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Alhazred posted:

I was really disappointed by the History of Swearwords. It's 0,1% historians saying "this is when the swearword was first used" and the rest is comedians talking about how much they enjoy using the swearword.

That's what I figured it would be, that's been the majority of anything with a documentary-ish theme made by traditional TV for a long time now really. I think YouTubers are legitimately getting good enough to fill that niche, or are already there.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Truth Seekers has been cancelled.

I want to have a reaction to this, but while I don't regret watching the first season, it also made no impression on me either.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

bull3964 posted:

I want to have a reaction to this, but while I don't regret watching the first season, it also made no impression on me either.

That's a shame. I watched it too and while it wasn't the greatest thing ever, I enjoyed its more lighthearted approach to conspiracy/paranormal culture and it had a great cast.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The premise and cast should've made it a home run for me but I found it to be highly mediocre.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Simon Pegg and Nick Frost without Edgar Wright is like peanut butter without jelly. See: Paul.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

feedmyleg posted:

The premise and cast should've made it a home run for me but I found it to be highly mediocre.

Yeah, the writing was a bit weak and it gets off to a glacial start. It doesn't really do a whole lot until episode 5

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I read that Noah Hawley's going to be showrunner for an Alien series on FX, with Ridley Scott presumably exec producing.

I'm cautiously optimistic. Fargo is great, and Legion was gorgeous and weird. I wonder if this is going to lead to some traction for Scott's third Alien prequel; I know Prometheus and Covenant weren't very well received, but I'd like to see him get to finish the story and tie it back to Alien. I wasn't big on the theatrical releases, but I liked both movies better after seeing cuts that integrated the deleted material (which is par for the course with Alien movies except for the first one). David became a really interesting character even if the rest of the cast were mostly cannon fodder.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I just hope that it takes its cues from Prometheus/Covenant rather than rehashing Alien. We already got an Alien rehash in Alien 3. It was cool and all, but it felt a bit like a Xerox. Give me a David-esque POV character and a some Weyland-Yutani corporate intrugue and I'll be a very happy boy.

...by which I mean I want a Blade Runner show that continues to spiritually meld the Alien and Blade Runner universes together like Prometheus did.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm all caught up on Resident Alien and I think my favorite part is how the narration is sometimes in real time so "Harry" will be going on about something and get interrupted.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

sticklefifer posted:

I read that Noah Hawley's going to be showrunner for an Alien series on FX, with Ridley Scott presumably exec producing.

I'm cautiously optimistic. Fargo is great, and Legion was gorgeous and weird. I wonder if this is going to lead to some traction for Scott's third Alien prequel; I know Prometheus and Covenant weren't very well received, but I'd like to see him get to finish the story and tie it back to Alien. I wasn't big on the theatrical releases, but I liked both movies better after seeing cuts that integrated the deleted material (which is par for the course with Alien movies except for the first one). David became a really interesting character even if the rest of the cast were mostly cannon fodder.

Scott's Prometheus 3 is written (though by John Logan, so the odds are it's loving trash), but he said around the time the Disney acquisition of Fox closed that he believed the money wasn't there to get it made.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I thought people liked John Logan's Penny Dreadful

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

bull3964 posted:

How many shows have Amazon renewed to completion? Three? Four?

Mu Zeta posted:

I thought people liked John Logan's Penny Dreadful

I suspect a lot of people only know him for his Star Trek film, which is apparently trash?

But also over twenty years old at this point, so...

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Open Source Idiom posted:

I suspect a lot of people only know him for his Star Trek film, which is apparently trash?

But also over twenty years old at this point, so...

John Logan has written, let's see...

Bats: Trash and awful.
RKO 281: So heavily ripped off The Battle Over Citizen Kane that Ridley Scott had to personally pay off the producers of that documentary to stave off a plagiarism lawsuit.
Any Given Sunday: Trash.
The Time Machine: Trash
Gladiator: Was rewritten heavily by David Franzoni, only had a few scenes of his left in the shooting script
The Aviator: Rewritten by an uncredited Michael Mann, who did it as a favor to Scorsese (Leo DiCaprio blurted this out in a drunken stupor at a post-Oscars party)
The Last Samurai: Rewritten top-to-bottom by Zwick
Skyfall: One of the most misogynistic movies I've seen in recent memory
Spectre: Ughhhhhhhhhh
Sweeney Todd: Well, if you're adapting Sondheim I guess you get to luck into something decent.

The dude sucks.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Any Given Sunday isn't that bad.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Rhyno posted:

Yeah it's okay.

Edit: apparently he also wrote Rango which is very good

Simone Magus fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Feb 15, 2021

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Rhyno posted:

It's ... okay, aggressively mediocre.

But Logan still sucks.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It ain't high art but the plot isn't terrible and the cast is brilliant.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
And its got a banging sound track.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Well Craig Mazin was trash until Chernobyl so it only takes one good project. Why the hell does John Logan keep getting work if all his stuff gets rewritten?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Mu Zeta posted:

Well Craig Mazin was trash until Chernobyl so it only takes one good project. Why the hell does John Logan keep getting work if all his stuff gets rewritten?

Make friends with the right people? Ridley Scott loving loves him.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/columbophile/status/1360173045650890755?s=20

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Mu Zeta posted:

Lots of screenwriters make their living from selling first/early draft scripts to producers outright without rewrite clauses. Some producers just want an idea guy, or sometimes studios want in-house writers to do the rest after buying a property. Depending on how prolific you are with first drafts, it's often more lucrative to just sell off your first take on an idea and move onto the next one than it is to wait for the money people to get back to you with draft notes.

As much of a douche as Max Landis is, he's sold something like 80 first draft scripts that nobody's done anything with, so a lot of his money likely comes from option fees and selling off the whole concept.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Feb 15, 2021

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
ANY GIVEN SUNDAY is good, actually.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Steamin’ Willie Beamen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNFft6r6Des

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
The Office (US) is on UK Netflix and I've been casually bingeing through it.

Just got to an episode that ends with a character saying "I quit" - is THAT the source of the classic goon meme of acquit???

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yep

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
hahaha yes. Someone was certain Michael said “I acquit”.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

Goose Chill!

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I remember around the same time there was also the 30 Rock "What is this, the local?" but that seems to not have had the same lasting power.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
No way, I always figured it was a court scene. And a season finale, giving them more than a week to be wrong.

Wow.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Wait until you get to the road salt episodes that people got themselves banned over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Probably the same group that thought Shannon was stabbed.