Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Kestral posted:

On the subject of rarely-seen mechanics, what systems have good base-building / community-building subsystems? I know they're in Pendragon and Harn, and a little bit in Dungeon World, but I can't recall where else it's been done well.
Reign?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Coolness Averted posted:

The problem isn't saying mean things, It's using descriptors of real people with different bodies or minds as shorthand for those mean things that's bad. Like pretend we previously used blonde as slang for "someone that smells bad" and then replaced that with stinky or a new word like granchling. The goal is to stop that link between blonde people and stinking instead of just coyly filtering the word with a wink.

The difference here that people mentioned is many of the traits people often lump under that term aren't actually things we should berate people for. It's not like being stinky because stuff like intense focus or extreme interest aren't bad in the first place, they're just uncommon and often used as targets of ridicule. So yes, not using a slur is important for not tying ostendibly bad traits to a group of people, but the follow up in this situation is whether we should be making fun of those things regardless

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Kestral posted:

Honestly, with SA's status as the internet equivalent of a historically significant site, I can respect that.

This has probably been suggested, but just on the off chance that it hasn't: could we just get new smilies with the same images as the problematic ones, but with different names? Preserves the existing threads, lets people use useful emoticons without having to Write A Slur.
I believe several smilies have already been renamed this way over the past few years, yes.

Yawgmoth posted:

There's a not insignificant number of goons who think that the problem with [pick a word] is the word itself rather than the true intent of the person using it, and I think it's funny in the saddest, most ironic way that there are so many tone policing backseat mods on SA in 2021 when just a few years ago that poo poo would get you a ban and/or an ALOD depending on where you were spouting off.
C'mon man, this sort of thing isn't rocket science. If you deliberately create an environment where people are comfortable saying slurs, you... attract people that are comfortable saying slurs. And if you try to call them on that, they can say you're misreading their intent and furthermore how dare you etc and you end up with a roomful of polite bigots who then stand behind their friends, the less-polite bigots, and vouch that you're just being a killjoy when you question THEIR intent.
If we want to crack down on incidental slurs in smileys, go nuts, I trust the logic behind it and the people making the decision and I don't think we're losing something precious by doing it. And I'm saying this as a guy on the autism spectrum who (PERSONALLY, and JUST personally) doesn't feel strongly about the term (I don't say it, because I (1) don't want to and (2) I don't think everyone feels like me and I absolutely don't want to be an rear end in a top hat to them).

edit:

Leperflesh posted:

I pretty much agree with you guys' takes on the sperg thing, and have communicated as much, but essentially it's in jeffrey and the admins' hands now and whenever they get around to it, I hope and will encourage there to be a sitewide discussion that raises issues like those mentioned here. For now though, this is not yet on the menu so the discussion is a bit premature.
Apologies, didn't see this.

Drakyn fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Feb 13, 2021

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Whybird posted:

I think the point is more that giving them another word they can say which carries all the same negative connotations -- which is effectively what renaming the smiley would do -- doesn't make things any better, it just means a different word is now bad.
Yeah, I think whatever we'd rename :spergin: to will become the new disparaging shorthand for "someone who obsesses about stuff" and morph into the new slur for folks who are neuro-atypical in this specific way. I'm 100% confident in this because that's how it's been with slurs and the acceptable words that replace them for decades. By no means will it be a sudden switchover but it's going to happen over some time.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
as for me, i think i will just omit those things and use nice chill smileys like :nice: and :shobon: and occasionally :negative:

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
So what's the deal with this Zine Quest thing? I saw it mentioned in the thread and I guess it is a buncha...zines...but which ones are the cool ones? The one about fantasy languages and stuff sounds pretty dope but it's only like 30% funded.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

aldantefax posted:

So what's the deal with this Zine Quest thing? I saw it mentioned in the thread and I guess it is a buncha...zines...but which ones are the cool ones? The one about fantasy languages and stuff sounds pretty dope but it's only like 30% funded.

I would like to know more.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I too would like to know more

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

I believe he was referring to this.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

They hosed up the IPA on their own banner.

Not a great start.

(No English speaker would ever stress "of" without some really specific context ; that's super basic Ling 101 poo poo that I slap into students on the reg.)

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Xiahou Dun posted:

They hosed up the IPA on their own banner.

Not a great start.

(No English speaker would ever stress "of" without some really specific context ; that's super basic Ling 101 poo poo that I slap into students on the reg.)

Zines are practically defined by the shits they don't give.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

theironjef posted:

Zines are practically defined by the shits they don't give.

O yeah. I had the bar at subterranean already, but you can imagine how I reacted to Thing I Would Mark Points Off for a rando 18 year old after a month in class and just noped the hell out of taking them seriously. Nah I don't have to read more, they're bad.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis

Thanks for the correction on the name. That is probably why I was having trouble finding it. Thanks.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I feel just saying, like "nerd" or "pedant" generally works.

(For reference: ASD myself, Asperger's technically but they're trying to move away from calling it that since Asperger himself was a Nazi collaborator)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Pedant is excellent. One I need to remind myself to use more often when the situation calls for it. And it comes from nothing worse than "teacher/schoolmaster" if wikipedia is to be believed (although in a few years we'll probably get "it's disdainful towards the idea of education and science" :v:).

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I've been out of trad games for 10 years, I pop back in and it's nice to see you guys and gals haven't changed.

Question, I've got kids now, they found my copy of spacehulk, loved losing horrifically at it and want to play more boards games like that without as much being eaten in round 1. I also like making and painting terrain and tiles etc so any recommendations on board games or game systems friendly to 10+ yr old kids? Robots and aliens preferred.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

My Lovely Horse posted:

Pedant is excellent. One I need to remind myself to use more often when the situation calls for it. And it comes from nothing worse than "teacher/schoolmaster" if wikipedia is to be believed (although in a few years we'll probably get "it's disdainful towards the idea of education and science" :v:).
Calling someone a pedant makes you sound like a pedant. So I'm all for it.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I do feel I should point out that the smilie itself is, if I recall correctly, literally the illustration for Asperger Syndrome from something like an old medical brochure. :v:

also I've been privately thinking of overly literal-minded, hyperfocused on technicalities people as "engineers". Like if I go on stackexchange and someone constructs the peasant railgun I roll my eyes and think "don't be such a loving engineer about it".

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

cakesmith handyman posted:

I've been out of trad games for 10 years, I pop back in and it's nice to see you guys and gals haven't changed.

Question, I've got kids now, they found my copy of spacehulk, loved losing horrifically at it and want to play more boards games like that without as much being eaten in round 1. I also like making and painting terrain and tiles etc so any recommendations on board games or game systems friendly to 10+ yr old kids? Robots and aliens preferred.

I don't play enough board games to have a solid answer for you, unless Nemesis is somehow kid-friendly, but the board game thread will almost certainly be able to set you straight.

Or maybe Pandemic Legacy: Season 1? If they like losing horribly and the whole 'deadly disease' thing doesn't hit too close to home at the moment.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

My Lovely Horse posted:

I do feel I should point out that the smilie itself is, if I recall correctly, literally the illustration for Asperger Syndrome from something like an old medical brochure. :v:

also I've been privately thinking of overly literal-minded, hyperfocused on technicalities people as "engineers". Like if I go on stackexchange and someone constructs the peasant railgun I roll my eyes and think "don't be such a loving engineer about it".

A related but fun term I like is "martinet," which I learned from a Chinese teacher in college. It's a person who puts etiquette above ethics, or following the letter of the rules above their intent. "Legalist" is also pretty good though quite a few Americans just are legalists on purpose.

I'm a bureaucrat and I'll definitely accept "stop being so bureaucratic" as a fair way to tell somebody to shut up.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

So I just discovered that I own Shadowrun Hong Kong, Shadowrun Dragonfall and Shadowrun Returns on Epic, probably having gotten them from a promotion or something 'cause I sure didn't pay money for them. I am vaguely aware that the Shadowrun RPGs are so-so and super crunchy at best, but are the videogames any good?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I've only played Returns so far but mostly it's a turn based tactical RPG. It's not like, particularly overwhelming from a mechanics standpoint (like, Final Fantasy Tactics is considerably denser on the oddball interactions).

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

paradoxGentleman posted:

So I just discovered that I own Shadowrun Hong Kong, Shadowrun Dragonfall and Shadowrun Returns on Epic, probably having gotten them from a promotion or something 'cause I sure didn't pay money for them. I am vaguely aware that the Shadowrun RPGs are so-so and super crunchy at best, but are the videogames any good?

The videogames run on a completely different system to the boardgames, so they have none of the disadvantages of the boardgames' awful crunch. It's a pretty decent system, combat is fast and satisfying and there aren't many awful builds.

I've not played Returns, so I can't speak for it that much -- the story is said to be fairly mediocre. Dragonfall and Hong Kong have some absolutely incredible plot and writing, some of the best I've seen in a computer RPG, and a system that's decent enough to back it up.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

I plowed through Hong Kong on easy. The gameplay wasn't very interesting like that, but the writing was more than good enough to keep me going.

Haystack fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Feb 14, 2021

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
I felt like getting through the tutorial on hacking in shadowrun returns was probably the nadir. The rest of the game is pretty standard one-shot storyline with good turn-based combat, but the first bit was rough on me for some reason.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Hong Kong is the highlight, imo. Unlike Dragonfall it's something vaguely approaching an actual Shadowrun game (at least for the first chunk and the epilogue), unlike Returns it's quite well written, and generally it has the least bad mechanics of any of the three (though I'm not going to call them good). If you're going to play more then one of them, do Dragonfall first so you aren't let down, and just ignore Returns ever existing.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Tulip posted:

a person who puts etiquette above ethics, or following the letter of the rules above their intent.

we just call them democrats over here

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Returns is okay, story wise. Dragonfall is awesome. With Hong Kong, I still haven't got past the JRPG Mode, but it's supposed to be very good.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Halloween Jack posted:

With Hong Kong, I still haven't got past the JRPG Mode, but it's supposed to be very good.

I'm super confused by what you mean by this, all the mechanics in Hong Kong are practically identical to in Dragonfall.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

paradoxGentleman posted:

There are quality screenshot LPs of Returns and Dragonfall by Kanfy if you'd like to take a peek at the games before playing.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Since I know a lot of people only check their bookmarks and very rarely browse the forum thread list, I'll just point out that there is now a Solo RPG Thread.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

SR Dragonfall and Hong Kong are both pretty good for what they are. You can totally ignore the first one.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

bewilderment posted:

SR Dragonfall and Hong Kong are both pretty good for what they are. You can totally ignore the first one.

But if you ignore it, you won't be able to hang out with Harlequin, everyone's favorite Important Metaplot Character!

:v:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Whybird posted:

I'm super confused by what you mean by this, all the mechanics in Hong Kong are practically identical to in Dragonfall.
That thing where you do a battle, walk one screen, and sit through another dialogue scene.

Dumnbunny
Jul 22, 2014

aldantefax posted:

So what's the deal with this Zine Quest thing?

More or less this.

quote:

Our annual Zine Quest prompt bestows creators with this valiant mission: Bring your RPG to life with maps, adventures, monsters, comics, articles, and interviews. To participate, launch a two-week project for a single-color unbound, folded, stapled, or saddle-stitched RPG zine on A5 or smaller paper. We'll start promoting projects Monday, February 1 and continue through the month.

Put another way, about 250 creators launched their RPG zine-sized Kickstarters all as part of the same event.

aldantefax posted:

but which ones are the cool ones?

I dunno. With poor promotion, a lot of it is down to word-of-mouth which is happening spottily here and there. This leads to a bit of a snowball effect; more backers spread word of mouth leading to more backers, and some zines have tens-of-thousands of dollars, and others just have tens.

Like Terror of the Stratosfiend #3 : A DCC RPG #ZineQuest Zine and d36: A Strange RPG Zine, both of which have been getting a ton of word of mouth.

Others just have cool imagery which makes me pause as I'm scrolling through, like Apothecaria - A Solo Journalling RPG which has a kind of Ghibli thing going on, Hibernation Games: 5 Journaling RPGs for Solo Play which has a cool bear wizard on the cover, and Desert Moon of Karth which has some sort of poncho-wearing cyborg cowboy.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I really enjoyed both Dragonfall and Hong Kong. I do like Dragonfall better, but I think that has less to do to the qualities of the game as a whole and more because the post-game DLC in Hong Kong kind of soured me on it, plus series fatigue.

Has anyone here tried out Microscope specifically to create the setting for a game? Thinking of using it to do some collaborative world-building for our about to begin Strike! game.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

ZearothK posted:

Has anyone here tried out Microscope specifically to create the setting for a game? Thinking of using it to do some collaborative world-building for our about to begin Strike! game.

Yep, I did this with a game group of mine a couple years ago when we were trying out the Lancer beta. Microscope is super fun and we all came away from it going "drat this was neat".

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
I don't have the PDF available to me now, but my friends and I used a different collaborative narrative construction game for making a setting, and on the whole its a cool idea but I hope Microscope has tighter design than whatever it was we played that was deffo not Microscope.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Microscope or Kingdom both seem rock solid in terms of games that you’d play to session 0 a setting. I tend to use The Quiet Year but not everyone likes post-apocalypse as much as me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

karmicknight posted:

I don't have the PDF available to me now, but my friends and I used a different collaborative narrative construction game for making a setting, and on the whole its a cool idea but I hope Microscope has tighter design than whatever it was we played that was deffo not Microscope.

Microscope and pretty much any game made by Ben Robbins is pretty dope i m o. Microscope is a bit dry in and of itself but the framework is sound and is further extended by its expansion/companion book Microscope Explorer. It's good fun if your group is into that kind of collaborative exercise.