Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

https://i.imgur.com/uWySU3a.mp4

Welcome to the official thread for Zack Snyders Justice League, or as it is colloquially known as, The Snyder cut, a film that supposedly doesn't exist.

Wait, wasn't this film already released 3 years ago? Is this a directors cut?

To put it bluntly..no. This is a whole different film from what was released in 2017. Briefly explained:

Due to a family tragedy, Zack stepped away from the production of the JL movie in may 2017. By the time he had stepped down, he had finished shooting and editing, previz was done on the film, along with some of the vfx, and clocking in at 214 minutes. This version is what would later become known as the Snyder Cut. After he stepped down, WB brought in Joss Whedon and Geoff Johns for rewrites and reshoots, and mandated that the film be 2 hours long. They cut Zacks film down to 30 minutes, and then did reshoots to fill out the remaining one and a half hour. They gutted Cyborgs story, removed a ton of cameos from supporting cast, made sweeping changes to the story, andthey also removed the score by Junkie XL and replaced it with Danny Elfmans reheated leftovers.

It bombed, financially and critically. Fans hated it, and despite persistent articles from media journalists that claimed that the cut didn't exist (and if it existed, WB would never release it, and aside from a few cut scenes it was still the same film as the theatrical version) and being dismissed as overzealous fans in denial, they started petitioning for Zacks version to be released.  The fans raised not only awareness for the cut, but also 500 000$ for the charity organisation AFSP (American Foundation for Suicide Prevention). It all culminated during an evening in november when fans got the #ReleasetheSnyderCut tag trending, and were joined in by Gal Gadot, Ray Fisher, Ben Affleck and Zack Snyder himself.

The next day, Zack got a call from WB asking what he needed to make it happen and gave Zack a carte blanche. Zack took the opportunity to put back some scenes that he originally had cut out to bring the runtime down, and also brought back the cast to shoot 2 additional scenes that are about 4 minutes long. These additions bring the runtime up to 4 hours, and they decided to name it Zack Snyders Justice League, to differentiate it from the theatrical version in 2017. 

We're getting about 3 and a half hours, or the equivalent of 2 full films worth of unseen footage with ZSJL. That's why I said that this is not a directors cut of the 2017 version, that was more a Whedon/Johns film than a Snyder film, because it had only a tenth of Zacks original footage in it. If anything Zack Snyders JL is the directors cut of the Snyder Cut.

As it happens, the timing to release ZSJL was also a big boon for the VFX people working at WB. Due to the pandemic, there was basically nothing else coming down the pipeline for these workers. The Snyder cut made sure they had work to do, and quite probably kept them employed during a time when a lot of other studios were downsizing. 
That's the TL DR. I'm leaving a ton of stuff out of this already bizarre story, like how the fans pulled off one of the most unlikely and successful fan campaigns ever, the absurd and borderline hostile response from entertainment journalists , the allegations Ray Fisher brought up of racism and abuse of the cast by Joss Whedon and Geoff Johns on the set during their reshoots. If anyone is interested, i'm sure there's a few people here that can go into more detail, but this is dragging on long enough as is!

Anyway, enjoy this aggressive meme

Edit:

https://twitter.com/snydercut/status/1362778980554846210?s=20

EDIT: For those living in the UK, it will be available on Sky Cinema

https://twitter.com/kryptonscodex/status/1369339201221705736?s=20

McCloud fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Mar 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eararaldor
Jul 30, 2007
Fanboys, ruining gaming since the 1980's
So this is streaming on HBO Max, but is there still any news on how people from the EU can watch it?

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Eararaldor posted:

So this is streaming on HBO Max, but is there still any news on how people from the EU can watch it?

There is!

https://pressroom.warnermedia.com/us/media-release/zack-snyders-justice-league-premiere-march-18-hbo-max

quote:

The company also announced the first wave of International launches for ZACK SNYDER’S JUSTICE LEAGUE. Concurrent with the premiere on HBO Max in the U.S., the DC film will be available exclusively on HBO services in Europe across the Nordics*, Central Europe**, Spain, and Portugal as well as on the HBO GO service in Asia***. In Latin America the title will premiere exclusively on HBO Max when the service launches in the region later this year. Details on additional international release dates and plans will be announced as soon as they are available.

* HBO territories in the Nordic region – Sweden, Denmark, Norway and Finland
**HBO territories in Central Europe – Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Macedonia, Serbia, Slovenia, Poland, Montenegro and Croatia
***HBO GO territories in Asia – Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Vietnam, Hong Kong, Taiwan

They haven't quite hashed out the UK or some parts of Europe yet, but I do know an announcement about UK is coming up soon. Also I think it'll be available on google plus for renting.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

https://i.imgur.com/O2BnD42.gifv

This is Zack Snyder, he's a fascist objectivist dudebro who loves to lift and hates for Superman to smile, he directed this movie maliciously by tricking Warner Bros into spending money on it:

https://twitter.com/UberKryptonian/status/1358958474277888001?s=19

If you find this funny then you enjoy cruelty to animals, sorry, depiction is endorsement, we don't make the rules.

You can defeat Magneto with a wooden gun but, like Dr Sivana knows, ah wait they're fine.

https://i.imgur.com/DoXP1yC.gifv

Don't forget to book your unforgettable luncheon, patented Snyderburgers, old family recipe.

https://twitter.com/jwhitbrook/status/1355164544679768067?s=21

Reliably informed that in this film every single character says Martha at least once, possibly twice, to achieve the 4hr runtime.

https://twitter.com/KurtBelcher/status/1350961231604183041

Please see this film in IMAX.

RATED R18 FOR ADULT CONTENT

And ofc you are going to watch it, because if you don't see this film how will you join the #discourse

Pictured, me running to the cinema to see ZACK SNYDER'S JUSTICE LEAGUE.

Eararaldor
Jul 30, 2007
Fanboys, ruining gaming since the 1980's

McCloud posted:

There is!

https://pressroom.warnermedia.com/us/media-release/zack-snyders-justice-league-premiere-march-18-hbo-max

They haven't quite hashed out the UK or some parts of Europe yet, but I do know an announcement about UK is coming up soon. Also I think it'll be available on google plus for renting.

Ah..... Because I’m in the Uk and not heard anything yet :(

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Eararaldor posted:

I wouldn't worry, they're not gonna leave out the biggest market in Europe

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

McCloud posted:

I wouldn't worry, they're not gonna leave out the biggest market in Europe

Brexit means brexit sir

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/snydercut/status/1360971287472996357?s=20

Trailer came out early

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

WE LIVE IN A SOCIETY

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Gamers rise up Batman

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
We live in a mf society baby

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

https://twitter.com/fevered_earth/status/1360976863762542601

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The mad man actually said it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

He's the joker baby

Violator
May 15, 2003

I hope this aspect ratio grows on me because right now I’m not liking it. Much prefer the whole screen be filled.

Wondering if the BvS IMAX version had to do some trickery to update some of the super wide shots, like the Doomsday/Superman eye blast showdown.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Jimbot posted:

WE LIVE IN A SOCIETY

Lmao

The Snyder strikes again

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Okay fine I'm in let's go

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vM-Bja2Gy04

:worship:

ALL HAIL DUDEBRODIA KING SNYDER

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
In a post Whedon world, it turns out that JL was better
Idk, go back 2018 and tell me that and I'd be a little confused

I was also more than a little interested to see Leto Joker interact with Affleck Batman.

the 2016 lover
May 29, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fun Shoe

josh04 posted:

This is Zack Snyder, he's a fascist objectivist dudebro who loves to lift and hates for Superman to smile, he directed this movie maliciously by tricking Warner Bros into spending money on it:

now do joss whedon

(it is really funny so much snyder hate seems to come from a place of "Zack Snyder is an awful evil person" when the alternative, with this movie, is...)

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

the 2016 lover posted:

now do joss whedon

https://twitter.com/Girls_on_Film/status/398887013346451456

guess the word 'feminist' won, lol

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

article linked in tweet posted:

Boom. Joss Whedon is full of win again.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

lmao, aged like milk.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

I can't wait to watch all nine hours of this garbage

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

This is great although would have more impact if it actually showed the proper proportions between 30 min, 90 min, and 3.5 hours.

Also worth remembering that even those ~30 minutes that Zack filmed and made it into JL'17 were re-color graded, intercut with bad reshoots, and generally mucked about so even the half hour of "already seen" footage is going to be drastically different when properly produced and put in their original context

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Marvel movies mostly are a collection of cultural references and winking at the camera, and Wandavision is directly about all that, so it's funny to see some of those fans get worked up about one Joker meme

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Eararaldor posted:

Fwiw WW1984 premiers on Sky Ticket on the 18th in Germany. If that's the precedent, non-HBO'd countries might be looking at mid-May?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Roman posted:

Marvel movies mostly are a collection of cultural references and winking at the camera, and Wandavision is directly about all that, so it's funny to see some of those fans get worked up about one Joker meme

"... Kick rear end?"

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

live with fruit posted:

Fwiw WW1984 premiers on Sky Ticket on the 18th in Germany. If that's the precedent, non-HBO'd countries might be looking at mid-May?

In the UK at least, WW84 was available to buy digitally on the 13th Jan.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Violator posted:

I hope this aspect ratio grows on me because right now I’m not liking it. Much prefer the whole screen be filled.

Wondering if the BvS IMAX version had to do some trickery to update some of the super wide shots, like the Doomsday/Superman eye blast showdown.

Those shots (and most of the rest of the move) would be projected letterboxed, since only a few sequences were filmed with IMAX cameras. There were some shots done on 35mm that we had to upscale and crop to fix the IMAX aspect ratio, but that's the exception rather than the rule.

I imagine the home release of the IMAX version is going to do something similar - have the 35mm parts of the move letterboxed, and the IMAX sections either pillarboxed or cropped at the top and bottom to fit a modern 16:9 screen.

the 2016 lover
May 29, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fun Shoe
honestly, Disney should do the right thing and have Snyder redo the first two Avengers movies

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Roman posted:

You just know the MCU multiverse Spider-Man 3 movie is gonna have Tobey Maguire, Andrew Garfield, and Tom Holland recreate the pointing Spider-Man meme. They have to, right? It's just too predictable.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

teagone posted:

You just know the MCU multiverse Spider-Man 3 movie is gonna have Tobey Maguire, Andrew Garfield, and Tom Holland recreate the pointing Spider-Man meme. They have to, right? It's just too predictable.
Into the Spiderverse did it already (post credits)

Violator
May 15, 2003

Robot Style posted:

Those shots (and most of the rest of the move) would be projected letterboxed, since only a few sequences were filmed with IMAX cameras. There were some shots done on 35mm that we had to upscale and crop to fix the IMAX aspect ratio, but that's the exception rather than the rule.

I imagine the home release of the IMAX version is going to do something similar - have the 35mm parts of the move letterboxed, and the IMAX sections either pillarboxed or cropped at the top and bottom to fit a modern 16:9 screen.

Doh, of course, I thought the IMAX home release was a completely new edit but I forgot there already was an IMAX release theatrically so much of the heavy lifting is already done.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Roman posted:

Into the Spiderverse did it already (post credits)

Oh yeah I know, but way more people are going to watch the MCU Spider-Man movie than the amount that turned out for Spider-Verse.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bringing back a sex pest to do an internet meme. It's like Joss Whedon never left

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Jimbot posted:

WE LIVE IN A SOCIETY

I've been mostly agnostic about Snyder, but months of hype leading up to this line is genuinely hilarious

Maybe it's a Raimi-Venom thing where he really doesnt give a poo poo about the Joker

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Neurolimal posted:

I've been mostly agnostic about Snyder, but months of hype leading up to this line is genuinely hilarious

Maybe it's a Raimi-Venom thing where he really doesnt give a poo poo about the Joker

I mean, people are focusing on the line and just laughing at it without realizing that this is a Joker from Bruce's subconscious (this is a dream sequence/premonition, in his own words). So this is how Batman sees the Joker and it's legit amazing. It's a perfect joke referencing a meme instead of just putting it in there like you'd see in any other film.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Jimbot posted:

I mean, people are focusing on the line and just laughing at it without realizing that this is a Joker from Bruce's subconscious (this is a dream sequence/premonition, in his own words). So this is how Batman sees the Joker and it's legit amazing. It's a perfect joke referencing a meme instead of just putting it in there like you'd see in any other film.

I don’t think this is true, isn’t part of the whole plot that the Knightmare becomes true and they send the Flash back to warn about it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The Knightmare is a vision of the real future filtered through Batman's subconscious, which makes it basically a dream and what we see there not 100% indicative of reality